What multiplayer game requires the most skill?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chaotzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chaotzu
Member since 2005 • 773 Posts
One the most important, yet overlooked, features in a videogame is gameplay. There are a couple of games that I played with friends that basically boiled down similar to a Chess match. Since Chess is considered a "thinking man's" game, what game do you consider to be our closest comparison to chess? I know my answer but I want to hear from you SW folk.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

One the most important, yet overlooked, features in a videogame is gameplay. There are a couple of games that I played with friends that basically boiled down similar to a Chess match. Since Chess is considered a "thinking man's" game, what game do you consider to be our closest comparison to chess? I know my answer but I want to hear from you SW folk.chaotzu

Starcraft.

It's like chess with action.

Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts

One the most important, yet overlooked, features in a videogame is gameplay. There are a couple of games that I played with friends that basically boiled down similar to a Chess match. Since Chess is considered a "thinking man's" game, what game do you consider to be our closest comparison to chess? I know my answer but I want to hear from you SW folk.chaotzu

My vote go's to RTS games.

munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts

[QUOTE="chaotzu"]One the most important, yet overlooked, features in a videogame is gameplay. There are a couple of games that I played with friends that basically boiled down similar to a Chess match. Since Chess is considered a "thinking man's" game, what game do you consider to be our closest comparison to chess? I know my answer but I want to hear from you SW folk.TriangleHard

Starcraft.

Yeah, but you can get really lucky or unlucky sometimes...

taikthebate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 taikthebate
Member since 2007 • 1427 Posts
Quake or UT. Not on consoles though because of massive auto-aim. I don't usually find RTS taking the most skill because of to many things requiring luck or chance.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
starcraft or rts games in general
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"]

[QUOTE="chaotzu"]One the most important, yet overlooked, features in a videogame is gameplay. There are a couple of games that I played with friends that basically boiled down similar to a Chess match. Since Chess is considered a "thinking man's" game, what game do you consider to be our closest comparison to chess? I know my answer but I want to hear from you SW folk.munu9

Starcraft.

Yeah, but you can get really lucky or unlucky sometimes...

That's goes with chess as well.

Go oops once and there goes your queen.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
RTS games...
mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts

id say madden, there is so much stuff to know in that game and you have to know when to do it. and you always have to think what the other person is doing so u can try to take advantage of there mistakes

it takes skill, brains, and practice

Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts

I think it's from the eyes of the beholder. Many wouldn't think it, understandable if you've played with so many n00bs, but games like UT2k4(Onslaught) and Fighters have some for of tactics to it. Lower end tactics would be for games like Pokemon and Mario Kart. some games are just too linear to have one.

I'll have to side with Kev_Unreal here.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts
Counter-Strike on the PC.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

Quake or UT. Not on consoles though because of massive auto-aim. I don't usually find RTS taking the most skill because of to many things requiring luck or chance.taikthebate

Such as? I've never seen a situation where one player suddenly had the advantage over the other due to some unfair random element in some of the more popular RTS games.

Either you know how to react in a situation or you get mowed down like my lawn.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
Chess.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Attack and Defend in Rainbow Six Vegas, when you're playing with good players its rediculous. It may just look like another FPS but it isn't.
Exeed_Orbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Exeed_Orbit
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
I'd say it's a close toss-up between FPS and RTS. While RTS is more than just skill, you can definately see the difference between a good and a poor player.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

[QUOTE="taikthebate"]Quake or UT. Not on consoles though because of massive auto-aim. I don't usually find RTS taking the most skill because of to many things requiring luck or chance.Redmoonxl2

Such as? I've never seen a situation where one player suddenly had the advantage over the other due to some unfair random element in some of the more popular RTS games.

saying stuff like "I was unlucky" in a game like starcraft typically means you arent as good as you think you are. A good player would have seen what he did wrong or what his opponent did right to beat him. there is no way it could become the national past time of an entire country if luck was a large factor.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]

[QUOTE="taikthebate"]Quake or UT. Not on consoles though because of massive auto-aim. I don't usually find RTS taking the most skill because of to many things requiring luck or chance.laughingman42

saying stuff like "I was unlucky" in a game like starcraft typically means you arent as good as you think you are. A good player would have seen what he did wrong or what his opponent did right to beat him.

Bingo. Facing down a legion of goliaths and siege tanks in Starcraft while you only have a few marines and maybe a vulture means you either suck or you were sleeping half the match.

There's a good reason why the replay option is there: So you can see where you went wrong.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
Definately Madden.
NuclearFreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NuclearFreedom
Member since 2006 • 1235 Posts
rts games
omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

street fighter 3 and other fighting games.. Why? Because the opposition is crazy Japanese= impossible too beat for mere mortals..

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TriangleHard

street fighter 3 and other fighting games.. Why? Because the opposition is crazy Japanese= impossible too beat for mere mortals..

omgimba

Try beating Koreans in Starcraft....

omgimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 omgimba
Member since 2007 • 2645 Posts

Quake or UT. Not on consoles though because of massive auto-aim. I don't usually find RTS taking the most skill because of to many things requiring luck or chance.taikthebate

Dude, the RTS genre hardly probably requires the least luck of all genres since micromanegment pretty much wins it all if done correctly.. Only problem is if the opponent by luck manages to do a perfect counter to your forces.. Which is extremly unlikely if you haven't played against him a few times before (then it isn' luck, then it is the skill of the other player)

NuclearFreedom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NuclearFreedom
Member since 2006 • 1235 Posts
[QUOTE="omgimba"]

TriangleHard

Try beating Koreans in Starcraft....

aahahaha the day we beat them is the daythe move on to starcraft 2 lol jk

4_Horsemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 4_Horsemen
Member since 2006 • 1401 Posts
I'll say Gears of War :shock: . It requires alot of thinking and planning on what strategy to use and which gun is perfect for the situation at hand. If done right you can take out a 4 man squad by your self.
ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts
I've had the honor to play with some psychopaths a few years ago in Quake 3. These guys were hardcore. Some of the earliest competitions in quakecon. Ever since then, I've developed a respect for a lot of Deathmatch multiplayer (and I mean deathmatch as in arena, not just the single mode). It really does take rediculous skill when you factor everything (from map size to speed to weaponry and tricks).
ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
Probably Quake 3 or CS 1.6 for fps and StarCraft or WC3 for RTS.
peeviness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 peeviness
Member since 2004 • 2023 Posts

If I had to choose one example, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Takes 3 hs to kill someone, no lucky kills there.

Pretty much any fps or rts, guitar hero.

no_submission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 no_submission
Member since 2007 • 961 Posts

Counter strike 1.6/source, UT2004, WoW, BF2.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
The more skill the opposition has, the more skill you need. Find the game with the most skilled opposition and you find the game which takes most skill. That means it's a question of popularity. That's also why halo 2 does actually require lots of skill in higher levels unlike many people think. I think that starcraft also takes the cake because of that.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

Warcraft 3, has a lot more depth than Starcraft.

For FPS Quake 1.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts
Imo, The Ship is one of the most intelligent and sinister multiplayer games around.
It would take too long to explain it here (and I wouldn't explain it very well) - just download the Half-Life 1 version and see for yourself.
legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts

fight night round3 online its tough as hell like real boxing.

Avatar image for desktopdefender
desktopdefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 desktopdefender
Member since 2007 • 1415 Posts
CSS easily.........
solidte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 solidte
Member since 2005 • 3616 Posts

CSS easily.........desktopdefender

Probebly, that's what makes it so not fun, well for the first year at least, all you will be getting is shot in the face before your able to react, especially with the pros who have been playing since 1.6.

desktopdefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 desktopdefender

[QUOTE="desktopdefender"]CSS easily.........solidte

Probebly, that's what makes it so not fun, well for the first year at least, all you will be getting is shot in the face before your able to react, especially with the pros who have been playing since 1.6.

Well yes i did have that pain as well, butwhat found out is that if you play on the map Assualt and camp/moving around the warehouse just fighting off CTS you get much better much more quickly then say the map dust or a zombie sever lol,but reallyi dunno why but it just worked for me

That or you could just play iceworldfor like2 days straight, that will get you good:P

Amit_Raj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Amit_Raj
Member since 2007 • 381 Posts
[QUOTE="solidte"]

[QUOTE="desktopdefender"]CSS easily.........desktopdefender

Well yes i did have that pain as well, butwhat found out is that if you play on the map Assualt and camp/moving around the warehouse just fighting off CTS you get much better much more quickly then say the map dust or a zombie sever lol,but reallyi dunno why but it just worked for me

That or you could just play iceworld 24/7 for 2 days, that will get you good:P

24/7 for 2 days.....WTF?????:|

desktopdefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 desktopdefender
[QUOTE="desktopdefender"][QUOTE="solidte"]

[QUOTE="desktopdefender"]CSS easily.........Amit_Raj

That or you could just play iceworld 24/7 for 2 days, that will get you good:P

24/7 for 2 days.....WTF?????:|

you know what i mean;)

fixed

Hypochondria9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Hypochondria9
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Definately Madden.Blackbond

really you think Madden requires the most skill, me I say a RTS easily, a tough RTS not many people play is Empire Earth, there is so much too that game, the first one has 15 ages, starting from cavemen that throw rocks all the way to robots with laser guns. The game gets really complicated at high levels when you must manage some infrantry, artillery, bombers, and fighters, battleships and submarines, certain units kill other units better so an army must be mixed up. There is abunch load of different minerals, also you can make prophets that make like volcanoes, and hurricanes its really cool. The battles are massive(bigger than StarCraft)and unlike alot of RTS's if you shoot artillery at a guy, he can move before it hits him and it wont damage him, you can also upgrade your units. But StarCraft still takes a bunch of skill same with WarCraft 3.

Shusty_lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Shusty_lives
Member since 2007 • 584 Posts
Fighters > Sports > RTS. lol at people putting FPS. What's to think about? you shoot at moving target. That's it. Nothing to complicated.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

RTS games as there is so much to do. You have think, think quickly, plan ahead, see what you opponent is doing and carry you what you want to do as quickly as possible. Out of the RTS genre I would choose starcraft as one which requires most skill.

Finale-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Finale-
Member since 2007 • 981 Posts
Counter Strike 1.6. The fact that you can play the game for over 5 years and still be bad it makes it require the most skill. To even have a shot at high level play you have to play it everyday and have natural talent at the game.
deathtrap90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deathtrap90
Member since 2003 • 765 Posts
FPS and RTS games dont compete with games like Guitar hero type games
dracolich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dracolich666
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

[QUOTE="chaotzu"]One the most important, yet overlooked, features in a videogame is gameplay. There are a couple of games that I played with friends that basically boiled down similar to a Chess match. Since Chess is considered a "thinking man's" game, what game do you consider to be our closest comparison to chess? I know my answer but I want to hear from you SW folk.TriangleHard

Starcraft.

I agree, same with CC3. I cant wait for SC2, omfg i almost ji*zed when i saw the terrian supply depots going into the ground, let alone the viking ships and thor!

Counter Strike 1.6. The fact that you can play the game for over 5 years and still be bad it makes it require the most skill. To even have a shot at high level play you have to play it everyday and have natural talent at the game. Finale-

Shooting behind people takes skill? sorry had to say it.

edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts
Advanced wars on ds is alot like chess as you have to think ahead of the game and keep all your pieces (infantry,tanks etc) protected.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Counter strike 1.6/source, UT2004, WoW, BF2.

no_submission
yep
Jankenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jankenstein
Member since 2003 • 780 Posts

In terms of thinking skill, FPS is nothing, the main/only skill involved is reflexes.

RTS require more thinking and strategy but there are still lots of speed and reflexes involved.

In terms of pure thinking skill it would have to be a turn based game. Maybe something like puzzle quest, I have yet to be able to play that game against another human but I would definatly love to.

A multiplayer game like fire emblem might take the cake, damn are there any games like that out there?

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GoldenGlove
Member since 2002 • 4699 Posts

I'll say MGO when it was online took a lot of skill to be good. I mean the high ranks were hard to optain. That's why a lot of people stat boosted to get them. But if you played that game against people that knew how to play. I mean really knew how to play the matches were intense. The headshots are crazy on that game.

MGO's controls alone required a lot of time to master it to play well. Not being able to aim and shoot = a challenge.

Damn I miss MGO.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
Rainbow Six Vegas is pretty hard to pick up. RTS games like Rise Of Nations are bloomin easy if you have a game plan.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
UT99 has probably the biggest skill scale I´ve ever seen, if you´ve never played the game you have no chance at winning against someone who plays it, and you see stuff like, one dude pops in the server kills you 25 times straight(Godlike) and the next round some other dude jumps in and kills him 25 times striaght, and then some other dude will come in and kill that guy. It´s really impressive multiplayer. Great game and if I´m not mistaken I think it has the best score for an fps here at gamespot.
SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
RTS games require the most "thinking".