What makes Half Life 2 so good?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IcyFlamez96
Member since 2011 • 1355 Posts

I remember playing it on the Orange Box for PS3 in like... 2007 lol. I never beat it for some reason. It was somewhat entertaining though. Of course, in the upcoming years, I realised that Half Life 3 was like the most anticipated game ever. Today, I got intersted in trying it out again. Problem is.... I have no idea where my disk is lol. I looked up a walkthrough earlier and skimmed up to the part that I got to when I first played it. Thos is kind of unrelated, but i went to about the 1 hour 20 minute point and he was at the part with the motorbike thing riding on the water.... I remmeber it taking me like 10 hours to get to that point! I was thinking it was late in the game lol. I really sucked at videogames back then..... I still kind of do.

Anyway, it seems really interesting compared to games nowadays. Something about it just gives me this old school vibe. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the way the game is structured or the way the story is told? I dunno. I really want to play it again though and hopefully not suck this time.

So what exactly makes this game so praised by gamers?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Back when it came out it was a technical marvel. Now, atmosphere aside (Ravenholm and the bridge walking so good), it's not as amazing. That said, people are hyped for 3 because they want to finish the story, and Valve could do some amazing things with Source 2. Although the Source engine is old now, it was a great and versatile engine so people are excited to see what Valve will include in its successor.
IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IcyFlamez96

Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.charizard1605

Why has it aged poorly? 

Back when it came out it was a technical marvel. Now, atmosphere aside (Ravenholm and the bridge walking so good), it's not as amazing. That said, people are hyped for 3 because they want to finish the story, and Valve could do some amazing things with Source 2. Although the Source engine is old now, it was a great and versatile engine so people are excited to see what Valve will include in its successor.tagyhag

May be a dumb question but, but is HL1 crucial to the plot of HL2?

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

IcyFlamez96

Not crucial crucial. All you basically need to know is that aliens came into the world to f&ck shit up.

If you want to play it, you should play the Black Mesa mod on Steam cause the original game is incredibly dated.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IcyFlamez96

[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]

tagyhag

Not crucial crucial. All you basically need to know is that aliens came into the world to f&ck shit up.

If you want to play it, you should play the Black Mesa mod on Steam cause the original game is incredibly dated.

My laptop is garb.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts
Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.charizard1605
You just don't like good things anymore, Char - that's the problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Why has it aged poorly? 

IcyFlamez96
Because it relied on its technical wizardry more than it did on its game design; now, don't get me wrong, it was still a well made game, but it relied almost exclusively on the sheer impact that the Source engine made. Relying on technical gimmicky makes an incredible immediate impact, but it also means your game won't age as well, and Half Life 2 didn't. That said, in spite of it aging poorly, it's a good game, and I would recommend it, along with the Episodes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.Basinboy
You just don't like good things anymore, Char - that's the problem.

Sorry :(
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

I don't know, I just like spawning a bunch of people and having them fight each other.

BLaverock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 BLaverock
Member since 2013 • 71 Posts

I wrote a little review on Half-Life 2 a while ago. Here's why it's so awesome: 

Released in November 2004, Half-Life 2 was met with overwhelming critical acclaim. Praised for its soundtrack, sound, animation, physics, AI, and narrative, the game scored an impressive 39 "Game of the Year" awards. It has been hailed as the "Game of the Decade" and is an all-time PC favourite.

The player follows the story of Gordon Freeman, an underground resistance fighter brought out of stasis to bring down the Combine, a multidimensional empire bent on world domination. As Freeman, the player must fight their way through an array of enemies, including Combine troops, robots, zombie alien headcrabs, etc. 

While some missions require the player to escape or defend, most put Freeman on the offensive, kicking a$$ with crowbars, pistols, machine guns, and, of course, the gravity gun, until climaxing in City 17 with an all-out attack on Combine headquarters.

Being a first-person shooter, the guns in Half-Life 2 are important. Fortunately, they look real, sound real, and shoot great. Additionally, the physics engine makes the kill feel significant.

The icing on the cake is the game's story-telling, which involves concentrated characterization, engaging dialogue, and a plot that reeks of epicness. 

If you've never played Half-Life 2, put it on your bucket list. You'll be happy that you did!

ShadowHawk676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShadowHawk676
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts

Don't know why people say it has aged poorly I played it again at the start of this year and thought it holds up pretty well. On to the question it was the atmosphere that I loved in it. 

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

1. Alyx and her amazing ass

2. Amazing support cast (Barney,G-Man,Alyx ect ect)

3. Ravenholm was an amazing lvl

4. The gravity gun

5. Amazing interactions for it's time

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts
Really? I think it holds up amazingly well nowadays. Still my favourite game ever.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Gravity Gun, Ravenholm, Alyx and Freeman (no game ever did a silent protagonist so well, if you ask me).

I love HL2, and while the SW often says it didn't age well and say the shooting and AI is poor, I have no idea what they're talking about.

Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

Gaben

I'd say this image is relevant.

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

Well it is my favorite game of all time. First of all, the game design was amazing. It constantly introduces to you to new concepts in an organic way. Also, while the story was not very complex, it was told in an extremely compelling manner. 

... Also for PC it has some of the best mods of all time, but that doesn't apply here.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
no idea, i think its overrated, especially since the first is better.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

It holds up greatly especially compared to other games at its time, heck even Half-Life 1 still plays great today. Still beats alot of fps shooters today. 

Don't get why you saying it doesn't hold up very well when some fps have still not caught up to it yet.

Half-Life 2 has great variety one minute your driving a hooverboat along a kennel, the next your fighting zombies using a gravity gun in a spooky setting, theres loads of different places it always keeps fresh. Great level design, and you use the physics of the game world to your advandage, or the enemy will, I could use a empty barrel, but it on the floor and roll it, so I have cover and can move the cover, I can pick up a can of paint then distact a Barnacle with it. The shooting feels tight, and the gravity gun is so fun to use. And don't forget the amazing atmosphear and story telling. 

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
It's actually aged very well, alongside FEAR and a few other games from that period, sure you wouldn't mistake it for a recent game but it definitely hasn't aged badly, it's not ugly to look at and artistically it still holds up in many ways.
handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.IcyFlamez96

Why has it aged poorly?

The only thing I EVER found impressive about this game was the physics. Needless to say, we have gotten a lot better in that regard after all these years.

Seriously though, some say the story telling is good, but I found it meh. Freeman isn't even a character, he's a lack of one. Another cop-out silent protaginist they want to pretend that you are, yet they still gave him a unique appearance, name, and backstory. Why bother not giving him his own voice then? Even the "silent" nintendo protagonists have voices and can emote with their faces.

Gameplay was long, but not exceptionally fun. Honestly thought it was INCREDIBLY dull. Especially the vechicle sections. Ravenholm was kinda cool, but it's basically zombies. If you are tired of them, it's not much better here. 

And gunplay isn't anything worth writing home about, so the game isn't getting amazing marks for that. It has a gravity gun which was kinda cool to mess around with. That's about it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
the long crappy driving sections? the boring gunplay? the drawn out levels?
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.bobbetybob
It's actually aged very well, alongside FEAR and a few other games from that period, sure you wouldn't mistake it for a recent game but it definitely hasn't aged badly, it's not ugly to look at and artistically it still holds up in many ways.

I think he means more like gameplay wise.

It looks good. But the gameplay feels like the year 2000.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

In 2004 it was years ahead of everything else on the market. 

Avatar image for ShoulderOfOrion
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShoulderOfOrion
Member since 2013 • 3379 Posts
It's not a bad game but it's definitely overrated. Shooters like FEAR, Doom 3 that came out around the same time absolutely destroy it.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

It's not a bad game but it's definitely overrated. Shooters like FEAR, Doom 3 that came out around the same time absolutely destroy it. ShoulderOfOrion

FEAR came out a whole year later and Doom 3 is not better than Half-Life 2 by any stretch of the imagination.

The game has just gotten so big and popular over the years that now it's lived long enough to see itself become the bad guy. Everybody now hates on it for whatever reason they came up with.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#27 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Gravity Gun.

ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ShoulderOfOrion

[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]It's not a bad game but it's definitely overrated. Shooters like FEAR, Doom 3 that came out around the same time absolutely destroy it. Wasdie

FEAR came out a whole year later and Doom 3 is not better than Half-Life 2 by any stretch of the imagination.

The game has just gotten so big and popular over the years that now it's lived long enough to see itself become the bad guy. Everybody now hates on it for whatever reason they came up with.

Doom 3's shooting mechanics are light years ahead.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#29 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It was fun to play, had awesome atmosphere, diversity, a good story, fun and creative use of physics, and looked incredible for it's time. Damn, almost 10 years later and the game still looks good!

gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
If you play the game nowadays it is still a very enjoyable game but not to the extent it was when it was released. At the time, the technical aspects of the game where literally game changing, mainly the complexity of the physics had not been seen in a game to date. The reason the hype for HL3 is so high is because it is expected (and also promised) by Valve that HL3 will be similarly game changing.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wasdie  Moderator

Doom 3's shooting mechanics are light years ahead. ShoulderOfOrion

Not really. The rest of the game is also very average and their design choices with the flashlight and attempts to make it a horror game were just not very good and it strayed too far from what Doom always tried to do. 

The only thing Doom 3 did well was shadows and lighting. Rest of the game was avergae if not medicore. It's not a bad game, it's just not better than Half-Life 2.

I mean it's been 10 years, most people here didn't play Half-Life 2 until it came out on the Xbox 360 in 2007, by then key parts of Half-Life 2's structure had been copied by other devs and put into their shooters. HL2 had become pretty much the standard on how to pace out a shooter until CoD 4 came along.

bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bunny569
Member since 2007 • 1181 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]It's not a bad game but it's definitely overrated. Shooters like FEAR, Doom 3 that came out around the same time absolutely destroy it. ShoulderOfOrion

Doom 3's shooting mechanics are light years ahead.

I bought Doom 3 at launch, HL2 at launch, I can say that i had way more fun playing HL2 that i did Doom 3, the shooting mechanics were unique but i wouldnt call it ahead of its time, it was just unique and that is it, it made it stand out as its own shooter which is a good thing, you just praise too much for what it really is.

Half life 2 however did just that revolutionize gaming in general not just coming up with a unique shooting mechanic but it involved a lot of enironmental gameplay like facial expressions and physics that all contributed in harmony, when you look at all the factors HL2 did as a whole its obvious who did more, but to claim Doom 3 is better or HL2 better, it's wrong, Both are good but Doom 3 today doesn't hold very well because it cries out more physics and it lacked in that department.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Hype. It was a technically impressive game that was positively a revelation at the time, but it has not stood the test of time well, and has aged rather poorly. Today, it is all hype with not a whole lot of substance backing it up.speedfog

I think he means more like gameplay wise.

It looks good. But the gameplay feels like the year 2000.

Even that's not so bad, certain parts of it definitely feel old fashioned like the physics puzzles, but it has a certain charm to it because it doesn't have so many of these boring samey elements lots of new shooters have.
bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bunny569

[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]Doom 3's shooting mechanics are light years ahead. Wasdie

Not really. The rest of the game is also very average and their design choices with the flashlight and attempts to make it a horror game were just not very good and it strayed too far from what Doom always tried to do. 

The only thing Doom 3 did well was shadows and lighting. Rest of the game was avergae if not medicore. It's not a bad game, it's just not better than Half-Life 2.

I mean it's been 10 years, most people here didn't play Half-Life 2 until it came out on the Xbox 360 in 2007, by then key parts of Half-Life 2's structure had been copied by other devs and put into their shooters. HL2 had become pretty much the standard on how to pace out a shooter until CoD 4 came along.

Yeah listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about.
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ShoulderOfOrion

[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]Doom 3's shooting mechanics are light years ahead. Wasdie

AI is also way better in Doom 3.
bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 bunny569
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"]Doom 3's shooting mechanics are light years ahead. ShoulderOfOrion

Now you are being a troll...
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
Dat atmosphere.
ShoulderOfOrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShoulderOfOrion
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

bunny569

:/ how am I being a troll? Doom 3 did have a lot of issues but as a shooter I'd easily put it above HL2.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
A lot of reasons. Great level design, visual direction, technicalities, game design and largely a great blending of gameplay and story - the game oozes character. Not many shooters do like HL2 does in terms of that coherency and identity. It's still a massively influential game, cross genres - so many games today ape what HL2 did, like HL1 before it. That's not to say it hasn't aged, it sure as hell has. The plot is super basic, the characters are largely bland (Alyx is terrible, same with Morgan Freeman) and the script is so basic. And there's some really poor visual blemishes. Largely it holds up and is still good, impressively. I can safely say that having played through it on launch day *and* I finishing it again a few days ago, first time since 2004. Only I beat it in 7 odd hours, going fast, bunnyhopping about combat and stuff.
bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bunny569
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"][QUOTE="bunny569"][QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"] AI is also way better in Doom 3.

:/ how am I being a troll? Doom 3 did have a lot of issues but as a shooter I'd easily put it above HL2.

You don't give anything descriptive, you make claims but you don't even back them up, maybe if you said it was more a personal opinion rather than state it as a fact. because the fact is doom 3 was not the best it could have been, while half life 2 changed not only the gaming industry but its genre. claims like "Doom 3 is way better" is just being a troll, and this is my last reply to you.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wasdie  Moderator

AI is also way better in Doom 3. ShoulderOfOrion

Now you have to be trolling.

At the least the AI is the exact same in the two. How can the AI be any better in Doom 3 with such simple enemy design?

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I haven't beaten it yet, but I've played quite a bit of it and I've really liked what I've played. It seems to hold up relatively fine to me, and I first played it on the Xbox and then started playing it on the 360.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 skrat_01
[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"] :/ how am I being a troll? Doom 3 did have a lot of issues but as a shooter I'd easily put it above HL2.

The a.i. is forgettable in Doom 3; it's basic attack patterns with some solid pathfinding. It also didn't help that the level design was all over the place - you can tell it was an art director who was responsible for them. HL2 has good a.i. Seriously. The downside is that the bulk - combine soldiers are utterly characterless enemies to fight and extremely basic foes from start to finish. Compare that to HL1 where the Marines meant something, the Combine are more akin to generic soldier in MoH:AA or today's Cowadooty. Only a whole lot smarter - pathfinding, spatial awareness and so on.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

>I remember playing it on the Orange Box for PS3 in like... 2007

>2007

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

bunny569

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bunny569

I haven't beaten it yet, but I've played quite a bit of it and I've really liked what I've played. It seems to hold up relatively fine to me, and I first played it on the Xbox and then started playing it on the 360.

Michael0134567
I think it plays best on the PC with all the graphics turned up i think everyone can play it now doesnt require a top of the line gaming pc, also they just recently updated steam with trading cards you can unlock as you play and a major update for hl2 not sure what for yet...
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 skrat_01

Right on though I'd say even the shadows are off - those hard shadows are super silly, I even recall Carmack saying how he wished they were soft instead of those silly hard lines, when the source code was made public. It is a still a damn good looking game though. But yeah I'd say HL2 is still the standard in many respects; the situational variety of sequences, and in particular the storytelling techniques. From COD4 to Metro Last Light, it's weird how much these games ooze Half Life at times. And hey they outdo HL2 in many of these similar respects.
Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

[QUOTE="ShoulderOfOrion"] AI is also way better in Doom 3. Wasdie

Now you have to be trolling.

At the least the AI is the exact same in the two. How can the AI be any better in Doom 3 with such simple enemy design?

Half Life 2 Ai is some of the best, but the level design holds it back, level design is good in HL2, but it's not good enough that the Ai can take advantage of it, it doesn't help they die in a couple of shots either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=l5SJzr04l24#t=46s

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Wasdie

Indeed... they may bash it and hate it, but it's still an awesome game that left its mark on the industry, and is a pleasaure to play even today. Same goes for Episodes.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VofXcw8AJQ

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Short answer: Nothing. Half-Life 2 sucks.