What is/do you have a favorite "failed" console?

• 70 results
MarkoftheSivak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 MarkoftheSivak
Member since 2010 • 461 Posts

I do, the Sega Dreamcast.

It was only in production for a very limited time and did not even scratch the surface of the expectations for sales but I had a lot of fun with it.

For one it is probably still the best system ever for fighting games, it was just ridiculous for what it had in that department. I also remember enjoying Virtua Tennis way too much and really liking Shenmue II (i ordered it from the UK with a emu disc). Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II were great but sadly pretty much the only good rpg's and pretty much just only on the system. Project Gotham Racing on it was great too, played on a monitor with the S box it was amazing.

With the death of the DC is also when my brand loyalty died since I had been a Sega gamer since the Master System, now I just go wherever the games are.

Do you have a favorite "failed" system?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Probably the OG Xbox or as some call it, Dreamcast 2. While it was second in its generation. It no where near came close the ps2 numbers.

It did everything better than its nearest competitor (online, features, storage, raw power, multiplats, controller, games). The Xbox not only goes down as my favourite failed console, but my overall favourite console in general.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

I don't have a failed console favorite but I guess you could say The Virtual Boy but in this case, it was a freaking piece of shit!

@Sevenizz said:

Probably the OG Xbox or as some call it, Dreamcast 2. While it was second in its generation. It no where near came close the ps2 numbers.

It did everything better than its nearest competitor (online, features, storage, raw power, multiplats, controller, games). The Xbox not only goes down as my favourite failed console, but my overall favourite console in general.

You have got to be kidding me, OG Xbox was my favorite MS console cause it gave us Halo CE and so much more exclusive games content you could ask for. I didn't care if it never came close to PS2 numbers, Xbox had awesome games compare to PS2 in my opinion.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

Dreamcast.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

-GameCube (even before the fandom for this console became so revisionist)

-Wii U

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Hmm... probably Dreamcast followed by Sega CD.

Dreamcast didn't deserve its fate having some incredible titles in its library like Shenmue, Ecco, Jet Set, etc. Also the first to come with a built in modem and the VMU was really cool tech at the time.

Sega CD was also great. Spendy for its time which helped kill it, but ultimately pretty great. Was one of the first to have a disc based medium as well as memory card. The second version looked super sleek with the second version of Genesis. Great games like Sonic CD, Sewer Shark, Jurassic Park, etc.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Telekill

@nintendoboy16: Is Gamecube considered a failed system? Also, what do you mean by the fans of the Gamecube are revisionist?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

The Dreamcast, Segas penultimate war cry before it went into a zombie state and whoring Sonic for all he's worth.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nintendoboy16
@Telekill said:

@nintendoboy16: Is Gamecube considered a failed system? Also, what do you mean by the fans of the Gamecube are revisionist?

When it was third place and considered the butt of jokes for it's time (which not even the Dreamcast suffered, and that console, plus it's company, were nuked out of competition) for being "kiddy", behind the times, low sales, etc. What else can you call it?

Revisionist in that they are pretending they never hated it when 2006 (Wii's release) rolled along. Like with Star Wars fans and how they apparently never disliked the prequels ever since Force Awakens and subsequent Disney films (Rogue One, Solo, Last Jedi) came along. I was there that gen, quite a lot of people, even the press hated the system.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Saturn.

It's a beast for 2D games and has the greatest controller of all-time. It also home to some of my favorite masterpieces in all of gaming such as NiGHTS into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon Saga. The library very much represents vintage SEGA, and (unfortunately) collectors know that too now.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 445 Posts

I'll go with Sega Saturn as well.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Telekill said:

It was last place and sold far less than N64, so I'd say yes. Obviously it wasn't Virtual Boy or Wii-U levels of failed - but it was last place so it was at least a borderline level of fail.

I picked up mine at the tail end of that gen when they were discounting it to $99, and I really liked the design of the Gamecube. It was definitely an interesting piece of hardware. Probably the best design of that gen, mini-DVD worked for games for the most part but if I had to guess the marketing disadvantage of lacking DVD probably cost them from at least having N64 or better level sales (also keeping them behind OG Xbox)

For me personally, I hardly ever owned any of the "failed" systems. I guess that's why they were considered failed LOL. I usually wait a year or two to see how things are shaking out before buying hardware. I guess the closest for me was Vita, and then the aforementioned Gamecube was the next closest.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Hmm, I don’t know what some people are going to consider a failed console to be. Is the Neo Geo considered to be a failed console? If so then I would say probably that one. If not that then probably the Wii U.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Telekill

@nintendoboy16: Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I still hold Gamecube as a favorite system of mine. It was my introduction to Smash Bros and 3D Zelda as I skipped N64. It became my Zelda system having every game in the series on it through Twilight Princess with my added GBA player attachment. I initially bought it for Resident Evil Remake but my enjoyment of Nintendo IPs expanded greatly because of it. Thus, I never considered it a failed system.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@davillain-: If you’re going by numbers (24m vs 150m), then yes - the Xbox would be considered a failure. Regardless, it’s still my favourite console of all time.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Sega Saturn

followed by OG xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@boxrekt:

Xbox was not a failure. It was that console which stole the thunder from Sony over the course of thst generation. It was that console which sold the 360.

My choice goes to Virtual Boy.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Damn, I paid full retail for my Dreamcast and Gamecube, good times though.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

The Dreamcast. It only lasted one year but it had one of the best launch lineups ever.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

Mine would be the PS3. Even though it faired better over it's lifetime, it was and is considered "less than" in most conversations. But I loved so many things about it; first wireless controller that worked well (that I had used), customizable backgrounds/themes, format war between hddvd and Blu-ray, new IP, hoping that new IP would be good enough to shut 360 fans up ;), backwards compatible with ps1 and ps2, the wild west versions of the store, etc. I never knew what to expect (which was fun) and then it just kept getting better and better...minus the network hack.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

What do we class as a "failed" console?

I guess in terms of consoles that didn't sell very well compared to the competition, my votes go to the Gamecube and OG Xbox. These are my 2 favourite consoles of all time.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BoxRekt
@heirren said:

@boxrekt:

Xbox was not a failure. It was that console which stole the thunder from Sony over the course of thst generation. It was that console which sold the 360.

MS sure thought xbox was a failure!

Which is why they abandoned the way they supported future systems and only release 1 or 2 high profile first party games during the holiday season to maximize profits and virtually abandoned making new AAA IP...that's your precious 360 in a nut shell.

OG Xbox was a different beast littered with all kinds of original game experiences that made the platform shine.

MS abandoned everything that make OG xbox great.

Yeah OG Xbox was a failure, I enjoyed the system, but all in all it failed to be competitive with PS in market dominance...which is the main thing MS cares about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@boxrekt:

Definitely not a failure. They hooked in console gamers. It sold xbox live. That console is responsible for the success of the 360. No way is that console a failure.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Gamecube is probably the best console I've ever owned.

It's purple and has these tiny discs.

Also it has the best Mario Kart, Zelda and Mario games. Along with the best new Nintendo IP: Pikmin.

It has eternal darkness, metal gear solid, ... I love my Gamecube.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Some of the consoles mentioned above could be considered a success in certain ways.

The Saturn was a flop in most of the world, yet it was Sega's most successful console ever in Japan.

The GameCube may have under-performed, but it was still mildly profitable for Nintendo.

And the Xbox may have flopped in most places, but it was a moderate hit in the US and UK, though it never turned a profit.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BoxRekt

@heirren:

Agree to disagree.

MS switched up when they went to 360 and they have never been the same since.

I consider OG Xbox a great system.

I can't say that for any console MS has produced after only being rehash boxes and multiplat generators.

If OG Xbox didn't fail MS would not have changed everything like they did chasing an imaginary pot of gold.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@Jag85: I mention the gamecube because very few people I know owned one. While basically everyone had a PS2 and a lot of people had an Xbox.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@boxrekt:

Fair.

But it was that system which was responsible for the overwhelming success of the xbox 360. It completely changed the expectations for the next gen hardware.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Xbox beat GameCube in the West, whereas GameCube beat Xbox in Asia.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I know the DC kind of failed but to me personally, it never felt that it did. The number of good games that released on that console was incredible; if ever a console delivered, it was the Dreamcast.

My favorite failed console though was the Atari Jaguar. The console was sexy as **** (apart from the controllers) it had so much potential but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I am not sad that I bought that console though because Doom was great on it, Iron Soldier showed what it was capable of for its time and AVP was absolutely BRILLIANT!

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Pretty sure the OG doesn't count as a failed console. It beat one of it's competitors, and introduced new things to the industry that we still see today. And MS never seemed to consider it a failure, even though it didn't turn them a profit unlike the 360.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Dreamcast. That candle burned twice as bright.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Dreamcast or Gamecube. Both excellent consoles.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@heirren said:

@boxrekt:

MS sure thought xbox was a failure!

Which is why they abandoned the way they supported future systems and only release 1 or 2 high profile first party games during the holiday season to maximize profits and virtually abandoned making new AAA IP...that's your precious 360 in a nut shell.

OG Xbox was a different beast littered with all kinds of original game experiences that made the platform shine.

MS abandoned everything that make OG xbox great.

Yeah OG Xbox was a failure, I enjoyed the system, but all in all it failed to be competitive with PS in market dominance...which is the main thing MS cares about.

No it wasn't and you still salty about the 360 destroying the PS3 in North America, Uk, few other countries. lol

OG Xbox was not a failure. MS had to get rid of it because the deal they made with Nvidia was costing them a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I never owned a failed console but for some reason I have Nostalgia for the Gamecube even though I never had one it's weird.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

SEGA Saturn. Everything from its poor hardware choices, save for the controller, to the games limited by the former meant that I had a lot to look for and collect, introducing me to online trading and the Japanese language, of which I'm grateful for the anime.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#37 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Love the Vita despite how hard support was dropped for it outside of Japan.

Has my PS1 library on it as well as a bunch of imports.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

The Vita. It has one of the best jrpg lineup ever in Persona 4G, Trails of Cold Steel 1&2, YS memories of celceta and Atelier series. Not to mention PSP and PS1 classics.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

The PS4 as Sony failed its racing games fans by putting average first party racing games on it, but i'm glad it failed as I didn't have to waste money on it. A YouTube console if there ever was one.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

PS Vita. The amount of games that you have access to on it is astounding. I also had a lot of fun playing Wario World on my Virtual Boy when I was a kid too.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I have 2 unfortunately both from sega. I loved the Saturn for its arcade classics and the dreamcast was way ahead of its time. If only it had a DVD player.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Probably the Saturn and the Gamecube. NiGHTs was such a unique game when I played it back in the mid 90s and VF2 introduced me to 3D fighters.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

GameCube if it's considered a failure. Otherwise I'd say Wii U. It had a few good games. I never had a Dreamcast..

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

The 2 that stick out for me are the vita and the gamecube.

the gamecube is the perfect console in my book in terms of the hardware. it is everything a console should be about: built with the single focus of providing the best gaming experience possible without costing a fortune. it was dev friendly (but tricky to master) and very reliable. it was perhaps a bit pedestrian in terms of new stuff it brought to the table but excellent overall.

no nonsense, no bloat, minimal BS (the lack of a 4th shoulder button and lack of clickable sticks on the controller were a bit silly on an otherwise excellent controller). it had plenty of cool games too.

Just...well it had nintendo at their worst in many ways. couldnt promote it to save their life. game support was patchy. it was also at a time were sony were so dominant that gamecube and xbox versions of games were just a mere afterthought (multiplat development was harder back then too).

Then there is the vita which has kind of a similar story. wonderful hardware, quite a few cool gems of games. but sony treated it like a second class citizen and the memory card fiasco really stung. but it was the first handeld that properly sparked off the idea of portable hardware being able to actually deliver great games. i still miss my vita (it died :( ).

NerdRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45 NerdRAGE
Member since 2019 • 35 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

-Wii U

Nintendo profited off of both consoles, so I don't consider either of these failures. If you come out of the casino with more money than what you went in with, you won!

The Dreamcast was also a profitable machine, BUT, because of their dire financial position and declining arcade business, their profits were offset and they couldn't continue support the console. They were basically faced with pouring what little money they had left into the Dreamcast and possibly going bankrupt, or staying alive as a company by going 3rd party. They chose to stay alive.

Anyway, my favorite failed console is easily the Atari Jaguar. Like the Dreamcast, it has some hits and misses. But unlike the Dreamcast, the Jaguar sees supports to this very day.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

There is support for the dreamcast games were still releasing in Japan as recently as a few years back. And there is still a very unique homebrew scene.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nintendoboy16
@nerdrage said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

-Wii U

Nintendo profited off of both consoles, so I don't consider either of these failures. If you come out of the casino with more money than what you went in with, you won!

Nope, they eventually took a loss with the GameCube.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@nerdrage: The Gamecube was a total lost by Nintendo and even they admit it. Xbox came into the gaming fray and made a name for itself. Nintendo not only compete with PS2 but Xbox as well. I own all those consoles and love them but Gamecube was my favorite though. Follow by Xbox.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Dreamcast for sure. I loved the games and the controller. And that it had some online capabilities. It was my Marvel vs Capcom 2 machine for a while.