What is your overall number 1 favorite game of 2023?

• 101 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

It was a very good year, and though I didn't get to play some of the big games that came out like Baldur's Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2, I feel good about my choice, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. It took Breath of the Wild and made it better, and the new powers are genius. One of the few games I've played where I would say "one more thing" and end up playing for an extended period of time. Other open world games may have better technical achievements, but I don't find them as fun as ToTK. As for front runners, here are my top 5.

• Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
  • Octopath Traveler 2
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Super Mario Bros Wonder

How about you, SW? What is your overall number 1 favorite game of 2023?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38927 Posts

Baldur's Gate 3 is so far ahead that no other titles are even worth mentioning.

Shadowheart best goth waifu of 2023 as well, so it is what it is.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59013 Posts

Quake II: Remaster

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44219 Posts

Currently Tears of the Kingdom. However I still have a whole bunch of other 2023 games that I have yet to finish so this could change.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

1. BG3

2. RE4make

3. TOTK

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

Tears of the Kingdom hands down. Second place is Pikmin 4 then Super Mario Wonder was amazing.

BG3 is good if you like long story games. Just not my thing.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23928 Posts

S: Tears of the Kingdom, Street Fighter 6, Pizza Tower
A: Against the Storm, Hi-Fi Rush, Fire Emblem Engage
B:Advance Wars: Reboot Camp, Jagged Alliance 3
C: Rain World Downpour
D: Cities Skylines 2
E: Baldur's Gate 3
F: Starfield

Anything at C or above was worth the time and money, D and below was disappointing/boring

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8775 Posts

BG3

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#9 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Dead Space Remake (XSX)

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Dead Space Remake. Shocking nobody here has mentioned it. Underrated 2023 game and probably overshadowed by Resident Evil 4 Remake.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 941 Posts

Well, its TotK by default. Its the only 2023 game I played :P

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6087 Posts

Remnant 2.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

Lets not get it mistaken, every single person that doesn't vote for BG3 isn't a real gamer.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad

@hardwenzen said:

Lets not get it mistaken, every single person that doesn't vote for BG3 isn't a real gamer.

The only thing BG3 got right was the roleplaying.

But with Roll20, that point is pretty redundant. Since it is hopelessly outclassed in Roleplaying by tabletop D&D as well.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6087 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Let's be real anyone who has a game running in the background to clock up hours "played" isn't a real gamer.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

The only thing BG3 got right was the roleplaying.

But with Roll20, that point is pretty redundant. Since it is hopelessly outclassed in Roleplaying by tabletop D&D as well.

Dude, you're exiting gaming before Microsoft. You're on your last few years of gaming. Its not for you anymore, so your opinion about BG3 is meaningless.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@hardwenzen: Shadowheart is amazing. Took me like 70 hrs of hard work to bang her.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2420 Posts

Jim Sterling said the right thing about Dead Space, and I normally don't consume his content.

"The Dead Space remake offends me.

"The most important aspect of this sentiment is that Visceral’s work is what I fell in love with, and I loved it in spite of everything its publisher did to destroy the series. Electronic Arts vandalized Dead Space, from desperate attempts to turn it into a multimedia franchise to unrealistic sales expectations to the disgusting monetization of Dead Space 3, EA’s pressure and meddling turned a once great game into a confused sellout of an intellectual property.

"After ensuring Dead Space would be a failure and shunting Visceral from one doomed project to another, EA would do what it does best and closed the studio.

"I hold that reckless, feckless, far from speckless company responsible for the downfall of both Dead Space and its developer. For EA to sell a remake of the original with a different team and try to profit off of something it so carelessly wrecked is, like I said at the start, fucking offensive.In sincere honesty, I want to give this game the lowest score I possibly could due to how insulting I find its mere existence.

"Splitting the critical difference between this remake as a pure videogame and as a galling example of EA’s cynicism seems like the best bet. This compromise is made all the easier by the fact that even when judged as a product in a bubble, I’m simply not impressed by a remake that improves little and offers changes I mostly dislike.

"Everything good about Dead Space 2023’s basic gameplay, combat, and narrative is a result of what Dead Space 2008 built. Most of what this remake adds is either less appealing artistic alterations or side content that generally amounts to unnecessary padding, and quite frankly I’d have been more interested in a remaster than a glitchy new take that’s less enjoyable and costs more. When you add the repulsive context of EA benefiting from a series it once destroyed right down to the developer, you get a game that leaves a sour bloody taste, even if it’s an acceptable mimicry of its predecessor."

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

Dude, you're exiting gaming before Microsoft. You're on your last few years of gaming. Its not for you anymore, so your opinion about BG3 is meaningless.

Unlikely to quit soon. Just prioritize stuff that are more important.

Glad you like the game though :) But assuming that voting for something else in a year of excellent gamesl ike this makes one not a gamer is just... absurd.

BG3 just felt too watered down from the actual tabletop experience for my liking. Missing so many actions, classes, spells, races, and mechanics. So many things got buffed for no reason, and became so stupidly OP they trivialize the game.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people like the game, your opinions on the game are valid. But personally, I found very little to like about it.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

Haven't played an awful lot of 2023 games. I enjoyed HiFi Rush, Cocoon, Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased his Name, Planet of Lana.

Didn't like Atomic Heart though.

Still have a lot of games to play from 2023 which I'll play next year.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16005 Posts

Super Mario Bros Wonder. It has a lot of brilliant levels and the final boss fight is one of the best in any Mario game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24933 Posts

Resident Evil 4 Remake. follow by Robocop.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mozelleple112
  1. Baldur's Gate 3 - Contender for GOTD right next to Elden Ring, The Last of Us 2 and God of War Ragnarök. Total playtime = 225 hours, 2 playthroughs
  2. Resident Evil 4 - The perfect remake of the consensus GOTY 2005 and one of the top 5 GOTDs of the '00s. Total playtime = 117 hrs, 9 playthroughs
  3. Armoured Core VI - Total playtime = 26 hours
  4. Lies of P - By far the greatest soulslike of any game not made by From Software. It might even be better than DS2 and Demon's Souls. Total playtime = 32 hours
  5. Final Fantasy 16 - Best FF since FFX, if we exclude FF7R. Total playtime = 65hrs
  6. Spiderman 2 - Total playtime = 15hrs
  7. Star Wars: Jedi Survivor - total playtime = 28 hrs
  8. Dead Space Remake - Total playtime = 35 hrs
  9. Starfield - total playtime = 52 hrs
  10. Alan Wake 2 : total playtime = 6 hrs.

I honestly feel like AW2 is highly overrated but I don't know what to put in 10th place.

2023 games I have not played include:

• Zelda TOTK
  • Super Mario Wonder
  • Robocop (might break top 10!)
  • Ready or Not
  • Hi-Fi Rush

I have not yet tested Robocop which looks really cool (will play it after xmas). I doubt Zelda:TOTK or Super Mario Wonder will make my top 10.

Ready or Not looks really cool but no of my friends play on PC :/

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

Unlikely to quit soon. Just prioritize stuff that are more important.

Glad you like the game though :) But assuming that voting for something else in a year of excellent gamesl ike this makes one not a gamer is just... absurd.

BG3 just felt too watered down from the actual tabletop experience for my liking. Missing so many actions, classes, spells, races, and mechanics. So many things got buffed for no reason, and became so stupidly OP they trivialize the game.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why people like the game, your opinions on the game are valid. But personally, I found very little to like about it.

When your priorities are 2d side scrollers over one-in-a-generation-game such as BG3, you know you're very close to to quitting gaming, and find yourself playing golf or fishing instead.

You're constantly bitchin' about gaming not offering enough gameplay, and when BG3 overloads you with it (or ER for that matter), you moan about the game, and call it mid at best. You really don't know what you like and what you don't. Maybe get yourself gamepass for a second month, and continue your Starfield playthrough🤡

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mozelleple112

@fedor: This man metacritics.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

When your priorities are 2d side scrollers over one-in-a-generation-game such as BG3, you know you're very close to to quitting gaming, and find yourself playing golf or fishing instead.

You're constantly bitchin' about gaming not offering enough gameplay, and when BG3 overloads you with it (or ER for that matter), you moan about the game, and call it mid at best. You really don't know what you like and what you don't. Maybe get yourself gamepass for a second month, and continue your Starfield playthrough🤡

It isn't about the quantity of gameplay but quality of it. Assassin's Creed offers a lot of hours of gameplay, none of it is any good. Same with BG3, hours upon hours of some of the most basic *** "tactical" gameplay I have seen.

Pizza Tower offers a much higher skill ceiling, superior feedback and a tighter gameplay loop compared to mediocre game mechanics found in RPGs.

D&D 5e is already a pretty bad ruleset when it comes to mechanics. BG3 watered down an already shallow TTRPG even further by removing a lot of functions. The strength of D&D5e is in its simplicity, which works great for a tabletop game (doesnt burden its players with excessive rules) but that simplicity does not translate well to a video game.

Edit: The most basic use of positioning and stealth does not make for a good tactical game. Even more so when you have some options that are so massively overpowered compared to the rest. Pretty much the only interesting choice to be made in BG3 is when to quaff those haste potions, but even that becomes redundant by the time you reach level 5. Unless you attempted a solo like I did (on my first attempt to make the game fun).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts

Very close between Super Mario Bros Wonder & Bayonetta Origins, but I'd have to give a slight edge to Bayo. Loved it that much.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45141 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Bayo is definitely one of the hidden gems of this year!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

I barely played any 2023 games. A lot of catching up to do on my end. Mostly waiting for games to get patched up though.

Of the games I played in 2023, CP2077 is my fav, followed by Bayonetta Origins.

Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed was also a nice send off for the whole trilogy. The story was mostly gibberish but it was a fun expansion. But seriously Monolithsoft: Clean slate for the next one please.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 275 Posts
  • TotK
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Octopath 2
  • My Time at Sandrock
  • SMBW
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Star Ocean's pretty nice.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

It’s a toss between Sea of Stars or Cocoon . Follow up are BG3, Spider 2 and Alan wake

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50568 Posts

Zelda.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3728 Posts

Jedi survivor is the best game this year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Damn, way too many good games. I've got to get back to BG3, so of those i've played, it's TotK.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15927 Posts

My list is;

1. Alan Wake 2 (great)
  2. Octopath Traveller 2 (great)
  3. FFXVI (great)
  4. Hogwarts Legacy (good)
  5. Sea of Stars (mid)/ trails into reverie (mid)

I didn't play a lot of 2023 releases due to trying to clear backlog. These 6 games are all the games I played released this year. Right now on to Metro Exodus and KH Memory of Melodies and about few hundreds more backlog sigh....

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Re4 remake VR or maybe Asgard's wraith 2

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19565 Posts

Resident Evil 4 Remake. RE4 is still one of the greatest games of all time. Nothing else released this year comes close. But since it's a remake, it's only fair to hand out GOTY awards to newer 2023 games rather than a remake of a 2005 game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts

In no particular order:

Dead Space Remake

Dead Island 2

Everspace 2

Starfield

Robocop: Rogue City

WH40K: Darktide

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@Jag85 said:

Resident Evil 4 Remake. RE4 is still one of the greatest games of all time. Nothing else released this year comes close. But since it's a remake, it's only fair to hand out GOTY awards to newer 2023 games rather than a remake of a 2005 game.

Its actually with the remake that i've noticed how flawed the game was. For all these years, i always thought that RE4 was so far ahead of all the games in the same genre that comparing them isn't even fair, but not anymore. And while there were some things that were better in the original when compared to the remake, since the original came out during the "every game must have qte's", its just so bad, the remake is better for this reason alone.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

Marvel's Spiderman 2. The game may have been overlooked at the awards. But this doesn't mean it's not a great game.

Insomniac has done a wonderful job with this game with 90 Metacritic score. I thoroughly enjoyed the game from the start till the end. The story, the visuals, and the gameplay were all epic. Miles and Peter's stories were beautifully interwined in this game. I have also played Batman Arkham and imo it doesn't even come close with the epic visuals and gameplay of this game. It is truly a next gen wonder.

The best thing I found about the game is that the trans scenes in the game are also not as glaring as in some other games like TLOU2 or FFXVI. Insomniac doesn't shove woke content down people's throat that is praiseworthy.

Marvel's SP2 is my favorite Spidey game ever made that has made PS5 a worthy console for me. Thank you Insomniac and thank you Sony.

Other games I enjoyed playing this year include RE4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, Super Mario Wonder, and Zelda TOTK. 2023 has been a phenomenal year for gaming. Let's hope the next year brings as much joy to us gamers as this year.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts
@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

It isn't about the quantity of gameplay but quality of it. Assassin's Creed offers a lot of hours of gameplay, none of it is any good. Same with BG3, hours upon hours of some of the most basic *** "tactical" gameplay I have seen.

Pizza Tower offers a much higher skill ceiling, superior feedback and a tighter gameplay loop compared to mediocre game mechanics found in RPGs.

D&D 5e is already a pretty bad ruleset when it comes to mechanics. BG3 watered down an already shallow TTRPG even further by removing a lot of functions. The strength of D&D5e is in its simplicity, which works great for a tabletop game (doesnt burden its players with excessive rules) but that simplicity does not translate well to a video game.

Edit: The most basic use of positioning and stealth does not make for a good tactical game. Even more so when you have some options that are so massively overpowered compared to the rest. Pretty much the only interesting choice to be made in BG3 is when to quaff those haste potions, but even that becomes redundant by the time you reach level 5. Unless you attempted a solo like I did (on my first attempt to make the game fun).

I agree 💯 percent with your views. The game was overhyped and due to this reason alone I will never follow the GOTY hype train again. I considered downloading the game but decided against it as I found the gameplay to be utterly boring. It was worse even than BG2 that I enjoyed playing a lot.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01

@SolidGame_basic: Absolutely it is. It's a shame it's been forgotten in GOTY discussions.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By hardwenzen

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Absolutely it is. It's a shame it's been forgotten in GOTY discussions.

Forgotten cuz its shallow, and you're only praising it cuz it says Nintendo on the box. You're not fooling anyone.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@Maroxad: that's an interesting opinion...it's like people who read the books before a movie came out, like Harry Potter or LOTR, call the movies trash. Maybe the actual table top board game is the same way?

One thing I disagree with you is starfield. It's S class...maybe SSS class, let that sink in.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Probably Final Fantasy 16. I have not played BG3 yet.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hrt_rulz01

@hardwenzen: Please go away.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Maroxad

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@Maroxad: that's an interesting opinion...it's like people who read the books before a movie came out, like Harry Potter or LOTR, call the movies trash. Maybe the actual table top board game is the same way?

One thing I disagree with you is starfield. It's S class...maybe SSS class, let that sink in.

One Piece Manga vs Anime comes to mind :P

But yeah, I might have had more respect for BG3 if I just didnt have this nagging feeling about how watered down the game felt from proper D&D. So many tools were missing, limiting the ammount of options compared to D&D proper, if I tried doing what I did in the tabletop games, I would just break quests, with NPCs flat out disappearing infront of my eyes and progress not registering thus rending the quest unfinishable.

Worse yet, they threw in so many poorly thought out buffs, that some options were just broken. As in so OP you could essentially finish a fight on turn one. With 0 tactical thought.

Haha, glad you enjoyed Starfield :) There is no such thing as a wrong opinion my friend!

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1258 Posts

Sta86ield