What is with their being so few good new full 3D games on the DS?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ghost392
Member since 2008 • 1011 Posts

Especially when its 3D capabilites were hyped... I mean and many of the 3D games were ports or consoleish games with only Avalon Code, COP,Moon and Dementium being unique IP's maybe a couple more

GTA:CW the highest rated DS game doesnt count because it was remade twice

This is also appearent on Ps to be fair but the Ipod Touch has

NOVA

Gangstar

Heroes of Sparta

etc.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Because good looking 2D graphics are better than mediocre 3D graphics.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

You sure are on a roll, aren't you?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Because the 3D is mediocore. If you want 3D get a PSP. The DS has lots of nice 2D though.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

wait like 3D as in avatar the movie 3D? lol

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#6 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

.789shadow

Oh, no, I fully encourage this. It can only end well for us all.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

cause 2d games kick ass...the castlevanias on the DS are examples that completely justify why 2d is still awesome

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

Its up to the developers of the game. Its not really a big deal as the DS is still churning out some great games

I dont see how a game being fully 3D would make or break purchasing it. Alot of games on the Iphone/Ipad are 2D also.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Because devs noticed that 3D belong on the PSP or on the home consoles. So they make great 2D games for the DS. Just another reason why the DS is that awesome (2D FTW).
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

And this is bad because?

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

because 2d works better on the ds

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts
What? Phantasy Star Zero? Infinite Space? Bowser's Inside Story? Why is every thread in System Wars taking place almost a year in the past?
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Why does this matter? 2D games usually handle better on handhelds in comparison to 3D games. Also I have actually been disappointed by how much 3D is thrown into DS games, you rarely get a pure 2D game.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

Especially when its 3D capabilites were hyped... I mean and many of the 3D games were ports or consoleish games with only Avalon Code, COP,Moon and Dementium being unique IP's maybe a couple more

NOVA

Gangstar

Heroes of Sparta

etc.

ghost392
I'll respond to your 3 games, I've played them. 1. Good 2. Bad 3. Ok So you came up with 3 games on the iPhone that average to be ok. Also if Hero of Sparta is 3-D, so is Legend of Zelda on the DS, so I could count Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass. Those two alone completely dominate anything from the iPhone you can throw at it. Then you add in Mario Kart DS... and Super Mario 64 DS (not as good as the original, but better than anything on the iPhone...). Also Metroid Prime Hunters, which would be the best handheld FPS if something didn't disqualify Metroid from being an FPS. I wouldn't count this game, but it's better than anything on the iPhone pretty much, so also Animal Crossing: Wild World. So even in this bizarre world you're trying to create where only 3-D games on handhelds count for quality, the DS crushes the iPod Touch/Phone. But 2-D games do count and they can be great.... New Super Mario Bros., Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story/Partners in Time, Chrono Trigger, Advanced Wars: Dual Strike/Days of Ruin, The World Ends With You, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Elite Beat Agents, Pokemon (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, Heart Gold), Kirby: Canvas Curse, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box/Curious Village, Waioware Touched/DIY, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, Scribblenauts, Dragon Quest.... would you like me to continue? What does your iPod Touch have to answer to this. God this guy gets funnier and funnier, I don't even know if they're serious anymore.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

NOVA

Gangstar

Heroes of Sparta

etc.

oldkingallant

I'll respond to your 3 games, I've played them. 1. Good 2. Bad 3. Ok So you came up with 3 games on the iPhone that average to be ok. Also if Hero of Sparta is 3-D, so is Legend of Zelda on the DS, so I could count Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass. Those two alone completely dominate anything from the iPhone you can throw at it. Then you add in Mario Kart DS... and Super Mario 64 DS (not as good as the original, but better than anything on the iPhone...). Also Metroid Prime Hunters, which would be the best handheld FPS if something didn't disqualify Metroid from being an FPS. I wouldn't count this game, but it's better than anything on the iPhone pretty much, so also Animal Crossing: Wild World. So even in this bizarre world you're trying to create where only 3-D games on handhelds count for quality, the DS crushes the iPod Touch/Phone. But 2-D games do count and they can be great.... New Super Mario Bros., Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story/Partners in Time, Chrono Trigger, Advanced Wars: Dual Strike/Days of Ruin, The World Ends With You, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Elite Beat Agents, Pokemon (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, Heart Gold), Kirby: Canvas Curse, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box/Curious Village, Waioware Touched/DIY, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, Scribblenauts, Dragon Quest.... would you like me to continue? What does your iPod Touch have to answer to this. God this guy gets funnier and funnier, I don't even know if they're serious anymore.

ummm NOVA is far better of a FPS then MPH I have played both and MPH doesnt have analog... NOVA looks way better as well

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

because 2 and 2.5 D both look better on the DS by far, if you want to play fully 3D games get a touch or a PSP.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

2D is just fine. Are you saying gaming sucked when that was all consoles could do?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

this is your third topic today I have seen designed to slam the ds. Why do you care so much?

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

so much hate for the guy who dares question the ds :roll: Hes right, it was hyped yet where is it

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"]What? Phantasy Star Zero? Infinite Space? Bowser's Inside Story? Why is every thread in System Wars taking place almost a year in the past?

Pretty sure Bowser's Inside Story is all sprites.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Ah another DS thread by ghost, nothing to see here people.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ragnarok1051
Ah another DS thread by ghost, nothing to see here people.siLVURcross
If all he cared about was graphics then he should have bought a PSP instead of some apple product. Then he would have good games to go with his great graphics.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghost392

so much hate for the guy who dares question the ds :roll: Hes right, it was hyped yet where is it

Respawn-d

Yes and when I dare qoute GS's score list of Ipod Touch having the most AAA's they say the games are held to a lower standard despite the graphics looking better than DS and the 3D games being similar in length (longer imo) then DS games as well as having the best version of GTA:CW

Also DS fans neglect the lower standard accusation when the DS is compared to Pps which really just makes their arguements not valid imo.

The only excuse they can find to claim their system is better is either sales or that the Ipod Touch can play music and videos...

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ragnarok1051

[QUOTE="Respawn-d"]

ghost392

Yes and when I dare qoute GS's score list of Ipod Touch having the most AAA's they say the games are held to a lower standard despite the graphics looking better than DS and the 3D games being similar in length (longer imo) then DS games as well as having the best version of GTA:CW

Also DS fans neglect the lower standard accusation when the DS is compared to Pps which really just makes their arguements not valid imo.

The only excuse they can find to claim their system is better is either sales or that the Ipod Touch can play music and videos...

Gamespot doesn't even review those games.

BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

[QUOTE="Respawn-d"]

ghost392

Just curious. Let's see you win the arguement and the Ipod Touch is declared the best handheld evar. What happens now?

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Wait, why doesn't GTA:CW count? It was new on the DS when it came out.

ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ghost392

I never said GS reviews the games they score them hence the seperate scores from the review hosts as well as the big letters Gamespot Score...[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="Respawn-d"]

BattleTurtles

Just curious. Let's see you win the arguement and the Ipod Touch is declared the best handheld evar. What happens now?

Well I dont feel this is an arguement it is more like me stating objectual evidence... This isn't a topic of 2D being fine it is a topic of the Nintendo DS not delivering on its hype as a gaming handheld.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
because ds is not capable of good 3d graphics looks more like software rendering you get this bad pixlated look
svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleTurtles"]

I never said GS reviews the games they score them hence the seperate scores from the review hosts as well as the big letters Gamespot Score...[QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

Well I dont feel this is an arguement it is more like me stating objectual evidence... This isn't a topic of 2D being fine it is a topic of the Nintendo DS not delivering on its hype as a gaming handheld.

Here's an idea, why don't you answer his question instead of sidestepping it? So again, what happens now?

...and in response to the DS not living up to its hype as a gaming handheld: 125 million. /thread

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleTurtles"]

ghost392

.....is this a joke?

my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts

because kids, parents and the shallow brigade don't care about techinality of games. so long as it features ben 10, hannah montana or some kind of lifestyle improvement it;'ll sell by the bucket load on both ds and wii.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

did you just put hero of sparta in that list? :o :lol:

Nova is ok at best. Gangsta is not that great. All games on DS run at a solid 60FPS, while Iphone may have the upper hand in very few titles, the framerate and game controls on majority of the games are a big fat joke. fact.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

the ds is better then the ipad as a gaming device if your saying the ipad is better then your putting it up there with handheld greats like GBA,GBC, etc

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

[QUOTE="Respawn-d"]

ghost392

...Ghost. Standards isn't solely based on hardware, it revolves around the quality of the system's library.

I've brought it up before, and you've never done more than ignored it because it slaughters your argument. Peggle, 9.0, AAA, one of the best games on the iGadgets. Peggle + Peggle Nights, 7.5, A, not even in the top 100 DS games.

Contuining to ignore evidence that proves you wrong is called trolling.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

*Sees a DS thread by ghost*

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Because... it doesn't matter if a game is 2D or 3D?
XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

ghost392

Not... this... again... you one-trick pony.

Stop quoting those Slide2Play scores. Besides, iPod Touch games usually suck, that's why they have a lower standard for such games. And lower standards = higher scores.

iPod Touch isn't even in the same league as DS when it comes to games. Seriously.

/facepalm

Come up with a new trick next time, okay sir?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

NOVA

Gangstar

Heroes of Sparta

etc.

ghost392
Why are there s few games on iPhone that seem like actual full lenght commercial productions instead of resembling browser games? Especially since iPhone/iPod touch are hyped as real gaming systems?
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Respawn-d
He doesn't question it, he blindly hates it and makes countless threads about it. "Where is it?" On top of the handheld world with the biggest games library.
kejigoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 kejigoto
Member since 2004 • 2735 Posts

NOVA

Gangstar

Heroes of Sparta

etc.

ghost392
So you throw out 3 examples for the DS and then 3 examples for the iPod Touch..... Somehow though games that are on the DS don't count though and the iPod Touch wins.... You logic makes very little sense here. There are plenty of great games in 3D on the DS, just because you want to throw them out because they are a port or a remake doesn't mean they aren't there. Also Chinatown Wars started on the DS and is pretty awesome on the DS as well, so I don't see why that one is thrown out simply because the PSP and iPod Touch got ports of a great DS game..... Perhaps if the game started on one of the other platforms (if the latter can so be called) then you might have a valid point. Yes the 3D was talked up on the DS, then again so was the full 1080p library for the PS3 and 4D graphics. Just because not every game uses 3D doesn't mean the library still isn't the best out there for handhelds. Again graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. Now why is it we can't dismiss the iWhatever as a gaming device simply because it's not built with gaming primarily in mind but rather web surfing, music playing, video watching, and all the the other stuff that Apple focused on ahead of gaming yet you can dismiss a whole slew of DS games in 3D (because apparently 3D makes a world of difference) just because you said so?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Respawn-d
At 125 million units sold, and the third greatest library of all time, behind only the SNES and the PS2. I see where you are coming from.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

because kids, parents and the shallow brigade don't care about techinality of games. so long as it features ben 10, hannah montana or some kind of lifestyle improvement it;'ll sell by the bucket load on both ds and wii.

my_name_is_ron
I'm sure that's all that devs make for the DS.
tortlecar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 tortlecar
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts
Well, I didn't find the DS's graphics to be that great when it was first released. I do understand what your mentioning though. It seemed Nintendo was glorifying the 3D effects because it was a step up from the GB Advance. Nintendo just chose to focus on the 2D titles and push out a 3D title every now and then. I've been hearing interesting things about their New handheld hardware though. Real 3D. I'd buy that just on it's technological merits.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ghost392

So many posts I cant respond to all but I can respond to general points

125million sold does not make it the best handheld it makes it the best selling to the person who said 125mil sold

Also if the Ipod Touch's best games are rated high because they are relative to the shovelware wouldnt that make pps the best library because it have the least shovelware XD... give me a break a good game is a good game and standards if anything are based of hardware and the Ipod Touch has proven to have quality 3D(perhaps best of the three handhelds) the only limiting factor is the size which is also present in the DS but I would rather have smaller size than a loud disc drive

I do not see how Ipod Touch games are held to a lower standard then DS games considering they have stronger visuals and the 3D games are as long if not longer then DS games that are 3D as well as being cheaper.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WAIW
and standards if anything are based of hardware >ghost392
I've proved this straw man theory wrong before, Ghost. If the iGadgets have higher standards, then why is Peggle one of the best games on iPhone but Peggle and Peggle Nights combined can't even make it into the top 100 list for the DS?
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"] and standards if anything are based of hardware >WAIW
I've proved this straw man theory wrong before, Ghost. If the iGadgets have higher standards, then why is Peggle one of the best games on iPhone but Peggle and Peggle Nights combined can't even make it into the top 100 list for the DS?

Well it works better on the Ipod Touch/Iphone if you would read the review as it talks of the zoom features I personally havent played it but good job picking out one AAA from the many

Nintendogs is in the top five DS games and top 4 for exclusives

Btw FAST, Real Racing and Rolando are 9.5

Why do you not compare Real Racing to Mario Kart DS (best exclusive for DS with a 9.2 )

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 WAIW

[QUOTE="WAIW"][QUOTE="ghost392"] and standards if anything are based of hardware >ghost392

Well it works better on the Ipod Touch/Iphone if you would read the review as it talks of the zoom features I personally havent played it but good job picking out one AAA from the many

Why do you not compare Real Racing to Mario Kart DS (best exclusive for DS with a 9.2 )

Because those games aren't similar, not nearly as similar to the Peggles. In fact, Peggle is perfect because it gives us a direct comparison. Good job dodging the point. The iPhone version has HALF THE CONTENT, and yes, the DS version has a zoom feature too. In no way is it really superior. Despite that, it scores 1.5 better and is considered to be one of the best games on the iGadgets, whereas the DS one, with twice the content, doesn't even make the cut for top 100 DS games. In your response you never really explained how this doesn't prove the iGadgets' lower software standards.
ghost392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ghost392

[QUOTE="ghost392"]

[QUOTE="WAIW"] I've proved this straw man theory wrong before, Ghost. If the iGadgets have higher standards, then why is Peggle one of the best games on iPhone but Peggle and Peggle Nights combined can't even make it into the top 100 list for the DS?WAIW

Because those games aren't similar, not nearly as similar to the Peggles. In fact, Peggle is perfect because it gives us a direct comparison. Good job dodging the point. The iPhone version has HALF THE CONTENT, and yes, the DS version has a zoom feature too. In no way is it really superior. Despite that, it scores 1.5 better and is considered to be one of the best games on the iGadgets, whereas the DS one, with twice the content, doesn't even make the cut for top 100 DS games. In your response you never really explained how this doesn't prove the iGadgets' lower software standards.

It does not play better with two screens and is better running it is as simple as that... The GC version of RE4 scored higher than the Ps2 one despite less content but is much better.

Same reason Forza is good because its quality not content that make the game

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WAIW

[QUOTE="WAIW"][QUOTE="ghost392"]

ghost392

It does not play better with two screens and is better running it is as simple as that... The GC version of RE4 scored higher than the Ps2 one despite less content but is much better.

Same reason Forza is good because its quality not content that make the game

Saying it's better somehow isn't a very good argument. Substantiate your claims instead of making ambiguous points: how does the iPhone version run better than the DS one? So far, you still haven't proven me wrong.
my_name_is_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 my_name_is_ron
Member since 2005 • 5549 Posts
[QUOTE="my_name_is_ron"]

dotWithShoes
I'm sure that's all that devs make for the DS.

the vast majority of ds games are like this yes. take a look at its catalogue.