What if Microsoft bought AMD?

#1 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (857 posts) -

The only thing holding Sony's ecosystem right is X86. If Microsoft bought AMD back when it was worth just under $2 billion and removed Sony's license, the PS ecosystem collapses. The PS5 won't have BC and will likely force Sony will go with Intel and have a very expensive PS5 or go with a different architecture and loose that ecosystem.

#2 Posted by Pedro (31181 posts) -

So, instead of competing they should buy out the technology? What kind of messed up fanboy logic are you subscribing to?

#3 Posted by Juub1990 (8011 posts) -

Would have to be an hostile takeover and people seem to think to buy a corporation you just walk up to them with a bag of money and tell them to GTFO of the offices.

#4 Posted by ReCloud (3045 posts) -

Nothing would happen, AMD would still make GPU for ps consoles, just like Samsung does(or did) screens for Apple.

#5 Posted by Ant_17 (10349 posts) -

Yeah, that's one way Xbox can win. Cripple the PS.

#6 Edited by xhawk27 (10604 posts) -

It would be cheaper for MS to buy Sony!

#7 Edited by madrocketeer (5507 posts) -

Sony would probably just go to NVIDIA, who might simply give them a supercharged Tegra. I don't think BC factors in Sony's business decisions these days.

Sony went to AMD because they're one of the few companies who can give them full custom CPU + GPU SoC and PCB designs. Intel don't have a higher-end GPU, which means they would have to go out-house, which would add costs. Add to that Intel have been out of the motherboard business for years (which I heard were manufactured by Foxconn anyway), and I highly doubt Sony would go to Intel if AMD was unavailable.

#8 Posted by MonsieurX (37719 posts) -

Out in the things that will never happen

#9 Posted by carlquincy (355 posts) -

This trifactor of Xplode, Commander and Daniel23 is something to behold.

#10 Posted by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

Why would MS buy AMD? MS is a software company. AMD is a hardware company.

#11 Edited by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

Sony would probably just go to NVIDIA, who might simply give them a supercharged Tegra. I don't think BC factors in Sony's business decisions these days.

Sony went to AMD because they're one of the few companies who can give them full custom CPU + GPU and PCB designs. Intel don't have a higher-end GPU, which means they would have to go out-house, which would add costs. Add to that Intel have been out of the motherboard business for years (which I heard were manufactured by Foxconn anyway), and I highly doubt Sony would go to Intel if AMD was unavailable.

Consoles use bargain bin parts. Paying a few cents extra to Nvidia wouldn't sink their ship. They could easily manage.

#12 Posted by Pedro (31181 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

MS is both. MS moved away from software only the moment they got into the console arena and expanded with their surface brand.

#13 Posted by UssjTrunks (11277 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@UssjTrunks said:

MS is both. MS moved away from software only the moment they got into the console arena and expanded with their surface brand.

They just make the plastic case around the Xbox. All the hardware comes from suppliers.

Sure they make tablets and laptops right now, but their market share in that space is minuscule.

#14 Posted by Pedro (31181 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:

They just make the plastic case around the Xbox. All the hardware comes from suppliers.

Sure they make tablets and laptops right now, but their market share in that space is minuscule.

What? They are a hardware company. This not up for debate.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
#15 Posted by EyeBoonsEyebrow (126 posts) -

What if your mom had swallowed you instead?

#16 Posted by ReCloud (3045 posts) -

@carlquincy: you're forgetting Pedro, the most laughable Lem, at least the other are just stereotypes, Pedro on the other hand seriously believes Xbox is superior

#17 Posted by Pedro (31181 posts) -

@recloud said:

@carlquincy: you're forgetting Pedro, the most laughable Lem, at least the other are just stereotypes, Pedro on the other hand seriously believes Xbox is superior

Poor Quad, needs an Alt and loves me so much. LOL

#18 Edited by ronvalencia (26071 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:

The only thing holding Sony's ecosystem right is X86. If Microsoft bought AMD back when it was worth just under $2 billion and removed Sony's license, the PS ecosystem collapses. The PS5 won't have BC and will likely force Sony will go with Intel and have a very expensive PS5 or go with a different architecture and loose that ecosystem.

MS business group already sells services, software development tools and middleware to Sony. Sony has developed software plugins for Visual Studio. $$$ is the same money.

#19 Posted by GarGx1 (10149 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@daniel_su123 said:

MS already sells services, software development tools and middleware to Sony.

I was about to say the same thing. I wonder how many PC's Sony owns that are running on Windows?

#20 Edited by ronvalencia (26071 posts) -

@GarGx1 said:
@ronvalencia said:
@daniel_su123 said:

MS already sells services, software development tools and middleware to Sony.

I was about to say the same thing. I wonder how many PC's Sony owns that are running on Windows?

Visual Studio is part of Sony's official standard tool-chain for PS4.

PS4 is Sony's Xbox vision without Microsoft's brand.

PS4's (PSSL) shader language is closer to MS HLSL than to OpenGL's GLSL

#21 Posted by xantufrog (9255 posts) -

Another weird Microsoft takes over the world and the competition is crushed under their unified platform AR weilding monopoly boots fantasy thread?

#22 Posted by Pedro (31181 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:

Visual Studio is part of Sony's official standard tool-chain for PS4.

PS4 is Sony's Xbox vision without Microsoft's brand.

PS4's (PSSL) shader language is closer to MS HLSL than to OpenGL's GLSL

At the end of the day does any of that really matter?

#23 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5551 posts) -

This thread is stupid.

Besides, Microsoft has actually had a buyout pact with Nvidia since 2003, and they have the right of first refusal if anyone else tries to buy them. So if they were going to buy anyone (which they wouldnt, because the premise of this thread is stupid) it would be Nvidia.

#24 Posted by 2Chalupas (6785 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

It would be cheaper for MS to buy Sony!

Market caps:

• SNE: $64 Billion
  • AMD: $10.7 Billion

Nope.

#25 Posted by nomadic8280 (384 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:
@Pedro said:
@UssjTrunks said:

Technically that's any brand of electronics.

#26 Posted by ronvalencia (26071 posts) -

@madrocketeer said:

Sony went to AMD because they're one of the few companies who can give them full custom CPU + GPU SoC and PCB designs. Intel don't have a higher-end GPU, which means they would have to go out-house, which would add costs. Add to that Intel have been out of the motherboard business for years (which I heard were manufactured by Foxconn anyway), and I highly doubt Sony would go to Intel if AMD was unavailable.

PS4 has two ODM contractors i.e. Chinese sourced and Japanese sourced.

#27 Edited by ronvalencia (26071 posts) -

@UssjTrunks said:
@Pedro said:
@UssjTrunks said:

Both MS's Xbox and Tablets are made by Chinese sourced ODM.

One of Surface tablet's ODM is Pegatron Technology which is a subsidiary of ASUStek (ASUS brand)

Avatar image for stereointegrity
#28 Posted by stereointegrity (12002 posts) -

If they did they would just make money off every PS console sold.... Wouldn't hurt either of them

#29 Posted by TryIt (9241 posts) -

despite what people might think, AMD would have to want to be purchased for that to work

#30 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (7969 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

That, or similar moves by MS have been unironically proposed on this board multiple times.

EDIT: Including in this thread! Damn those Sony fans though.

#31 Edited by Xabiss (1846 posts) -

Here is a much more logical answer. Microsoft should just create great content/games to compete against Nintendo and Sony. It is much cheaper then buying out another company and in the long run they will sell more hardware and make their fanbase more excited for their product.

#32 Edited by Ant_17 (10349 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@Ant_17 said:

That, or similar moves by MS have been unironically proposed on this board multiple times.

EDIT: Including in this thread! Damn those Sony fans though.

Yeah, buy EA to make the sports games exclusive, which i think 1 sport has said that they give EA the licence cause they will release it on every platform. If that sport isn't on a PS4, they lose the licence. How dumb can some lems be?

#33 Edited by rafaelmsoares (621 posts) -

So... the only way MS can win is by sabotaging the competition? Kinda sad that even lems think that way...