What highly reviewed game will gamers turn on next?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22675 Posts

Happy weekend... I'm sitting at a state swim championships for a few days so i thought I'd engage the good people at system wars...

So... Theres a trend throughout the gaming culture that games that score well and are generally well recieved turn out to be horrible crusty bitches after the masses gets a hold of them for a few weeks and decide everything is bad and horrible about the game...

Recent examples.... The 2014 game of the year Dragon Age Inquisition, Uncharted 4 (guilty), Fallout 4... Games that were reviewed well, gamers were excited about and then gamers decided actually horrible.

Somethings gotta give in a power packed 2017...

So ultimately which game(s) this year will be critically praised, well recieved by fans and ultimately successful for the franchise, but gamers will ultimately turn on like a cancer cluster?

Horizon?

Zelda maybe?

Oh oh, definitely Mass Effect! It's multiplayer will be crap despite being awesome, right?

So in layman's terms, what games this year do you see being recieved well and then shat on for eternity?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

With the current Bioware, i wouldn't be surprised if Adromeda is exactly what you're talking about.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Anything Playstation or Xbox exclusive will obviously be shat on because fanboys have no lives. PC gamers will continue to shit on well received multiplats and whine about the console-ization of video games. In short, gamers are idiots.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Who the hell plays multi-player in games like Mass Effect? These types of games should remain single player only.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

What is this a preemptive Mass Effect 4 apology in advance? The game is gonna suck Geoff, make like Elsa and let it go.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheEroica  Moderator

@general_solo76: but my friends and I put a hundred hours into the multiplayer on mass effect 3 and all we did was enjoy how good it was.... Actually it was one if my favorite mps of last generation?

What didn't you like about it specifically?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#7 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I was going to come in and laugh at this thread until I read the opening topic and realized I'm a little bit guilty.

I struggled through Inquisition because it was such a bore and crapfest. Uncharted 4 was great, but not the best Uncharted and actually a bit underwhelming. Fallout 4 is Fallout, and I tried to get into it but I just don't care.

And now Mass Effect: Andromeda is coming. I love the first three ME games, even didn't mind the ending of 3, but no matter what I see of Andromeda I cannot get hyped. So my vote is this.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

@TheEroica: Hmm...that's cool, glad you enjoyed it. To be completely honest with you, I just don't enjoy mp gaming in general, unless it's a sports, fighting, or Mario Kart type game.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

Who the hell plays multi-player in games like Mass Effect? These types of games should remain single player only.

lol you remind me of myself before ME3 launched. Then i tried the demo. I was so wrong.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: no apologies from me... Mass Effect will be a super time sink I'm looking forward too... I don't know what the final product will be, same as Zelda and horizon etc etc, but my instincts say it won't be as focused narrative wise as the origin of the series, but I'm looking forward to every aspect of the game. Especially MP.

What I wanna know is how you can turn on a game BEFORE it's released?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jg4xchamp

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp: no apologies from me... Mass Effect will be a super time sink I'm looking forward too... I don't know what the final product will be, same as Zelda and horizon etc etc, but my instincts say it won't be as focused narrative wise as the origin of the series, but I'm looking forward to every aspect of the game. Especially MP.

What I wanna know is how you can turn on a game BEFORE it's released?

Me liking the game is me turning on a game Geoff, me liking the game is me turning on it.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Would guess ME, since well its Bioware and for some reason they have decided that dumbing Down everything is what gamers want, at the same time you just know that reviewers is gonna hype to the high heavens and back, because of the graphic(and add Money of course...) just look at uncharted 4...... Atleast we can have the sexxxxx with alien womens, so guess its a day one buy for most people:)

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator

@general_solo76: if you plan to buy the game we should play MP... It's basically gears horde mode with mass effect aesthetics. You don't have to be a passive gamer playing in lobbies filled with people who will crush your face. It's team based.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: wait... So Mafia 2 is the goat?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

In regards to metcritic it seems less fanboys and troll or if a game is good or bad and more taking offensive to people being happy, like it's an affront to them, probably because they live miserable life's, essenailly screaming "look at me, I'm a special snowflake".

Basically it could be any game or anything getting praise on mass and it would annoy them.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jg4xchamp

@TheEroica: how dare you

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

To be fair, Uncharted 4 actually is a horrible game. Other than graphics and acting it does absolutely nothing well.

The next one will obviously be mass effect

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@TheEroica said:

So... Theres a trend throughout the gaming culture that games that score well and are generally well recieved turn out to be horrible crusty bitches after the masses gets a hold of them for a few weeks and decide everything is bad and horrible about the game...

Not me. I found professional reviews in general (Metacritic) to be in line with my own views although there are obviously genres I'm not interested in. I'm not going to rain on a parade just because the game wasn't my type.

As for Fallout 4, I've seen Fallout 3 and New Vegas fans put it down. Yet, now that I'm currently playing Fallout 3 (New Vegas is next), I find myself thinking Fallout 4 as being more fun.

For one thing, the environment layout of Fallout 3 almost makes it look like a corridor-fest unlike the more logical/realistic layout of Fallout 4.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: oooh champ....

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

What do you even mean by "turn on them" ... if a game is bad and reviewers have been paid to say the opposite, the truth will out. Fallout 4 for instance, got really good reviews and playing through the first 10 hours or so, I really liked it but after the big battle at the castle, the game just loses it's way and the repetitive nature of the big battle itself turned me off. But that doesn't make it a bad game. Just not as great as FO 3.

As for UC4, I don't think gamers have turned on it and no one has turned on Horizon or Zelda yet.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Well, considering no one turned on freaking Smash 4 or SMG 2, I'd like to think Horizon maybe next.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

@TheEroica said:

@jg4xchamp: oooh champ....

Got 'em.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

uhhh all of them?

can't maintain the balance of yin and yang without some good ol' backlash.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator

@soul_starter: "turn on them, ' like how a game like Dragon age can convincingly win game of the year awards and 6 months later be the whipping post of poor rpg design.

Even fallout 4 gets a bad wrap in my opinion. Yeah, the story lacked big moments and the mission structure is repetitive... You can even say that after the first hour of the game had the only big moment, when you get the power armor and fight the wrathclaw (or whatever it's called). The problem is the game itself is actually a lot of fun depending on what element of gaming you're looking for...

Now, with the finished story aside, and having shelved the game for a year, I've been back in it, building the entire commonwealth, looting and creating each settlement to my liking and it's a massive game within a game that I am thoroughly enjoying... Every time Preston sends me out, I'm thinking about what junk I'll bring back to continue building that shelter i left off on, or that resource I needed for a happier settlement.

The game im playing now is actually better than the one bethesda made....and somewhat more logical in its design. I've played two different fallout 4s across a years time and it is absolutely worthy of praise, despite its shortcomings.... There is however a general tenor that fallout 4 is a disappointment because it's "repetetive" instead of praised for adding an entirely new aspect to its design in settlement building which outshines the detractors anger over repeated mission design.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator

@mems_1224: if I gave one iota of f*** about how a game looks? Sure uncharted was a success... As a video game, it was a complete waste if time.... I wanted my money back at the end.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Hmmm i guess Horizon.

And not Mass Effect Andromeda, I mean look at Mass Effect 2, the game still holds up and it's on almost every "best games" lists.

However, if Andromeda manages to reach the quality heights of ME2.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

It is "Cool" to hate highly rated games.

I would not be surprised If people turn on Horizon, Zelda and Mass effect Andromeda within a year.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I actually tend to agree more with the critics more than the neckbearded loudmouth minority who try and parade their opinions around as fact. I think Fallout New Vegas was monotonous garbage and didn't hold a candle to Fallout 3, or Fallout 4 for that matter. I thought MGS4 was dope and the ending to Mass Effect didn't bother me at all.

The majority of the hate usually goes to Sony exclusives coming from Microsoft fanboys. Uncharted is overrated apparently but generic ass Halo and Gears gets a free pass. Ok sure.

Who really gives a shit what the cynical ass "gamer" community thinks anyway. Should I be listening to the losers who complain about the price of DLC but have been dumping $15 a month into World of Warcraft for the past 13 years? The creeps who talk about how there's no innovation in gaming but they go play some RTS that plays like a title from the 80's? Getthefug outta hea.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@mjorh said:

Hmmm i guess Horizon.

And not Mass Effect Andromeda, I mean look at Mass Effect 2, the game still holds up and it's on almost every "best games" lists.

Part of Andromeda's hate will be derived from the anti-SJW brigade and pseudo-intellectual RPG experts who loved Bioware of old holding a grudge.

To be fair though, Mass Effect is shit.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@mjorh said:

Hmmm i guess Horizon.

Part of Andromeda's hate will be derived from the anti-SJW brigade and pseudo-intellectual RPG experts who loved Bioware of old holding a grudge.

To be fair though, Mass Effect is shit.

True that!

And not true that! :P

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Even fallout 4 gets a bad wrap in my opinion. Yeah, the story lacked big moments and the mission structure is repetitive... You can even say that after the first hour of the game had the only big moment, when you get the power armor and fight the wrathclaw (or whatever it's called). The problem is the game itself is actually a lot of fun depending on what element of gaming you're looking for...

Getting the power armor wasn't a takeaway because soon after leading the Minutemen to Sanctuary, it ran out of batteries and I was back on foot for a while. ;) It wasn't easy finding Fusion Cores for much of the early part in Fallout 4.

The Deathclaw wasn't that big a deal either because there were far worse mutants, eg any whose name was preceded by glowing or charred. The Deathclaw was an appetizer....if you have a power armor.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

All of them? I can't think of a single well-received game that hasn't had a hate culture build up around it, at least in a vocal subpopulation. Seriously, you asked about Horizon and Zelda... yeah they're both screwed. They already have it

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm not impressed by what I've seen of Horizon, so I'll not comment overly on that one.

Zelda will go into the annals of history as a classic and will be regarded as a benchmark for years to come. It's guaranteed to be hated by some people.

Mass Effect will review really well, the majority of people who play it will enjoy it and then it'll get a shit ton of abuse. It's an EA game after all and no ones loves EA.

Essentially, every well received game is going to get hate for a million different reasons.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@jun_aka_pekto: I only collected power armor. Never used it throughout the game. I have like 7 sets of armor and dozens of cores. I only used them when I had to get them back to my storage shed in sanctuary.

No doubt there were some tougher fights, but it was an actual exciting moment in fallout! The game plays very even beyond that, with fee if any other stand out "moments".

Not that games need them, but it added to the feeling of repeated-ness I can reason with. To its credit, I am playing a completely different game at this point called, rebuild the commonwealth and my only gripe is when a settlement comes under attack riiiiggght when Im about to clear a multifloor building and be able to cash in on the objective. I ignored that distress call one time and had to rebuild and repopulate from scratch.

Pretty sure I made up a few words in this, apologies. Repeated-ness? Repetetive-ness

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Don't blame the game, blame the biased/honeymooning/money incentivised reviewer.

People don't turn on the game, they just find out the reviewer was wrong.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I'm gonna go with either RE7 (everyone is loving the game...but 6 months from now...i don't know) or Mass Effect...because people love to have anything Bioware.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I have grown to hate Dragon Age Inquisitions pretentious characters and see it as a missed opportunity.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@TheEroica said:

Not me. I found professional reviews in general (Metacritic) to be in line with my own views although there are obviously genres I'm not interested in. I'm not going to rain on a parade just because the game wasn't my type.

As for Fallout 4, I've seen Fallout 3 and New Vegas fans put it down. Yet, now that I'm currently playing Fallout 3 (New Vegas is next), I find myself thinking Fallout 4 as being more fun.

For one thing, the environment layout of Fallout 3 almost makes it look like a corridor-fest unlike the more logical/realistic layout of Fallout 4.

New Vegas was great, but I thought Fallout 3 was a drab world without much character to begin with. Along with that, the story and dialogue both swallowed heaping spoonfuls of mediocrity.

Fallout 4 also suffered the same fate; Bethesda writers just can't write worth a damn.

As for the OP, Horizon will fit this, even though I already think it looks bland from a viewer standpoint. Don't have a PS4, so I can't play it to change my mind at this point. Maybe it'd change my mind, but it just looks like Far Cry 4, which became mundane fairly soon in the game for me.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I loved DA Inquisition even though I hated that they fell into the 'go anywhere do anything' crap same as Witcher 3 so there was zero level pacing and you could easily overlevel. I still love it. It's a huge game so the people who claim to hate it must have played it a LONG time before realising they hated it. I'm going to go ahead and assume they're completely stupid.

Horizon will probably get fake haters too. Maybe even Zelda though in that case you can almost guarantee the people hating haven't even played the game. Nintendo dweebs don't hate on anything on a Nintendo console since they have next to nothing to play anyway so hating anything is kind of an own goal.

I think Nier Automata will get massive hate because the graphics are just awful and the enemy and environments never change. The kind of people who like Platinum games won't care about that but I think a lot of people who will never play the game will hate it 'just because'.

ME Andromeda will get hate too. They changed the combat so it doesn't play like Gears and people will hate that because, well, because they can.

I'd rather spend time talking about the games I love with like minded people than randomly hate on games I will never play but I'm kind of weird.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Mass Effect is looking like the most likely candidate. Already getting its fare share of negativity pre-launch. It's not only one of the more high-profile releases in recent years, but it has numerous political discussions often surrounding it and has the daunting task of pleasing people who might have been turned off by the ME3 ending fiasco. The bigger the game, the more criticism it usually draws.

They did a good job keeping most of the stuff under wraps all this time, but now as we approach launch and more details emerge, game is getting dissected more and more.

In that vein, the other game to suffer a similar fate could be RDR2. We'll have to wait and see.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

@TheEroica: All good points. I just couldn't get into the whole town building aspect, especially the bare bones implementation outside of DLC. In terms of Dragon Age, I never played it and I had no idea it won goty and then got blasted by fans .UC 4 certainly did not and neither did the other game you mentioned.

But hey it's all subjective and sometimes, time away from the game at release and the hype can provide a more realistic view of things.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Uncharted 4 deserved the hate. Naughty Dog forgot how to make fun games.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Lemmings are the only ones doing all the hating because of the famine on their favorite console.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@mark1974 said:

Anything Playstation or Xbox exclusive will obviously be shat on because fanboys have no lives. PC gamers will continue to shit on well received multiplats and whine about the console-ization of video games. In short, gamers are idiots.

^ ^ This.

Lots of people bitching and hating on well reviewed games online are fanboy trolls and idiots that want feel special going against the trend. Most gamers out there enjoy most well reviewed games like UC4, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. For me personally if a game reviews well and it isn't my type of game I move on instead of bitching about it. Not every game out there can cater to all your wants and preferences. Some people get carried away and imagine that if a game doesn't play the way they like it must be broken instead of accepting that the game may not be for them. Some people also make the mistake of thinking that if a game scores a 9 or 10 that means it must be perfect to everyone in every way possible instead of realizing the score is just the opinion of one reviewer.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Mass Effect Andromeda is the next big hated game coming soon. I'm personally loving everything I have seen and all reservations I would had have disappeared. Considering they are using some of the best elements and their own element from various RPGs this one should be good.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@mark1974 said:

Lol.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@quadknight said:
@mark1974 said:

^ ^ This.

Lots of people bitching and hating on well reviewed games online are fanboy trolls and idiots that want feel special going against the trend. Most gamers out there enjoy most well reviewed games like UC4, Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, etc. For me personally if a game reviews well and it isn't my type of game I move on instead of bitching about it. Not every game out there can cater to all your wants and preferences. Some people get carried away and imagine that if a game doesn't play the way they like it must be broken instead of accepting that the game may not be for them. Some people also make the mistake of thinking that if a game scores a 9 or 10 that means it must be perfect to everyone in every way possible instead of realizing the score is just the opinion of one reviewer.

LMAO that IRONY is absolutely astonishing... cows can't be this dumb..

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

In regards to metcritic it seems less fanboys and troll or if a game is good or bad and more taking offensive to people being happy, like it's an affront to them, probably because they live miserable life's, essenailly screaming "look at me, I'm a special snowflake".

Basically it could be any game or anything getting praise on mass and it would annoy them.

Yeah Buddy !

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

Every highly rated game ever to be released will also receive hate.

Ones that usually get away quite clean are surprise underdogs that won't build a lot of hype in the first place.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#50 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Here's the reality, guys. Most games are NOT the BEST THING EVER OR THE WORST THING EVER.

In my opinion most games are varying degrees of "whatever". Inoffensive, and nothing to get excited about. In the C- to B range.

Gamers AND game journalists need to take critique more seriously. Fallout 4 was whatever, and Andromeda will be pretty good but whatever. Halo Wars 2 is probably not very good, and Inqusition doesn't have lasting appeal, either. But everyone shut the **** up. To critics: Stop rating these AAA games as 8 or 9's. To Gamers: Stop rating games as 0's or 1's. It just isn't true.