What happened to the steam machines hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

Haven't heard about those things in a while. Are people still interested? Will the success of the PS4 hamper Valve's aspirations? I ask you SW, since you know everything. Me - I'm not really interested. I have a PS4 and if I want superior graphics/performance I would rather just build my own.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Those hype trains ran out of Steam.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I'm probably going to be picking one up.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I'm still interesting in the Linux gaming side of it, not so much the steam machines themselves.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@nini200 said:

I like it!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

they're not really a 'hot product' to market, more of an option.

yes - i too would just build my own steam machine.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm pretty sure it was the $500-$5,000 price tags.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

I pretty much already have one. I have an Alienware X51 which is roughly the size of the original PS3, which I have hooked up to my TV next to my PS4 and play with a 360 controller. The only difference is I'm not forced to use the Steam OS and my Alienware is upgradeable unlike the Alienware Steam Machine (terrible idea on their part by the way).

So no, I'm not interested in buying one. I'm interested to see how they do and how they affect the market but I won't be getting one. I'll probably get a new X51 when the new line of graphics cards comes out honestly. I love that thing, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@SuddenlyTragic said:

I pretty much already have one. I have an Alienware X51 which is roughly the size of the original PS3, which I have hooked up to my TV next to my PS4 and play with a 360 controller. The only difference is I'm not forced to use the Steam OS and my Alienware is upgradeable unlike the Alienware Steam Machine (terrible idea on their part by the way).

So no, I'm not interested in buying one. I'm interested to see how they do and how they affect the market but I won't be getting one. I'll probably get a new X51 when the new line of graphics cards comes out honestly. I love that thing, one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Nice, I came close to getting a X51 this year, but I want to wait a little more.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably pick up once they get an announcement of release

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@nini200 said:

I'm really steamed over your post.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrownKingArthur

you guys probably already knew this, but, you do know that a steam machine is just a PC with a Linux OS installed by default?

you can choose to install windows on a steam machine (which basically just turns it into a windows gaming pc at the cost of a windows licence)

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Truth be told I think everyone's happy with PS4 and XB1.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

you guys probably already knew this, but, you do know that a steam machine is just a PC with a Linux OS installed by default?

you can choose to install windows on a steam machine (which basically just turns it into a windows gaming pc at the cost of a windows licence)

No, Valve hates Windows and they've said that per person that installs Windows on their steam machines, they'll delay Half Life 3 by one year.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CrownKingArthur
@R4gn4r0k said:

No, Valve hates Windows and they've said that per person that installs Windows on their steam machines, they'll delay Half Life 3 by one year.

sabaecc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sabaecc
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: No you can set up your team!

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SuddenlyTragic said:

Nice, I came close to getting a X51 this year, but I want to wait a little more.

I would highly recommend getting one when the time is right. I got mine about two years ago when they were first released. It came with a stock Geforce GT 545 but I swapped that out for a 660 Ti and it screams. I've had absolutely no problems with it, I absolutely love the size, and it can handle pretty much every game I throw at it maxed out (I have to turn a few settings down in Crysis 3, BF4, and a few others but that's just if I want 60fps). My one complaint is that it can't handle the top of the line cards. I would love to throw a 780 in there but the cards are too big for the case and require too much power. But other than that it's been the best PC I've ever owned hands down.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

everyone realized you can go to a hundred pc sites and buy the same shit.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

Probably because we haven't had any news at all about them since last year.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Valve hasn't shown their hand yet. No one cares what ibuypower's going to do.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

There's barely any info on them yet, and the patina on these new consoles is still shining, kind of. As mroe and mroe games are 900p, 30 FPS and PC keeps on trucking ever forward, an ACTUAL announcement of actual hardware will probably get the hype going again.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I'm more interested in seeing where steamOS takes pc gaming. I'd rather build my own pc but the OS stands to change the way we play pc games if valve plays their cards right and does a good job with this. It's going to take a lot of change but I'm excited to see how it all goes down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

The whole idea is a half baked attempt for Valve to force Steam down more gamers throats.

I like and use steam.... but to me its no different to a damn console when its this forced in my face.... so much for the openess of PC gaming....

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@MBirdy88: If anything it offers more choice and openness. How offering another OS to play games on besides the almost monopolistic windows platform is forcing steam down peoples throats is just ridiculous.

STEAMSBL0WSSAX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By STEAMSBL0WSSAX
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

it's not untill 2015 more are gonna be announced,steam licks balls tho.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Valve have yet to release more information on their steambox. It will probably pick up when its closer to launch date when they unveil prices and etc.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

Steam machines aren't going to take off. They're going to be niche products that allow developers to set "standards" for PC gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

@MBirdy88: If anything it offers more choice and openness. How offering another OS to play games on besides the almost monopolistic windows platform is forcing steam down peoples throats is just ridiculous.

... no... thats just your inner linux talking nonsense.

You fail to see what I am talking about, more and more games are becoming "Steam only" or "Origin Only" .... Steam prices are not even that good on new games and are often overpriced.... but people look past that because they buy friggin 10x ancient games for pennies...

Bottom line is, you need steam for alot of games on PC now, and that list is growing.

Those support STEAM OS are already supporting linux for the most part.

and once again, what linux fanboys want just because its "free" is not whats best for consumors... a payed for OS that actually has set standards is the norm. and that reflects in that so called "monopoly" of windows... really? are we really saying Windows has a monopoly on CONSUMOR computers now? no... just business.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ribstaylor1

@MBirdy88: The Steam only games are generally the decision of a given publisher or developer not valve themselves. It's not steams fault these companies don't explore separate avenues of revenue or that companies that house their own sales services wish to keep games they develop and pay for on their service rather then the competitors. SteamOS does nothing more then offer another platform outside of Apple and Microsoft. Hell if you had read a little up on the subject your talking about, valve has even stated it doesn't wish to close the platform off and is open to competition selling games on SteamOS.

And as a person who buys games on a PC platform you can use any of those services or OS's on a single machine at any time thre is zero forcing going on here. It's not like using Steam will stop you from using origin. Or that using Windows can stop you from using steamOS. It's called competition and different stores/platforms are going to offer different incentives and products to get your sale. That is true choice and how the market should be run. You can use all of them no one or anything is stopping you or forcing you it's your choice.

Also if you didn't understand what I meant by "almost monopolistic windows platform" you could have asked rather then start off on a rant going no where. They essentially have a monopoly on gaming on pc as it contains the majority of tittles and games. Both linux and mac have a tiny fraction of that market, hence why I said "almost"

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@ribstaylor1: if EA put Origin on SteamOS (Ubuntu, whatever) that would be great.

and yes really there is no negative to steam os at all. it's free, and the hardware on which it's installed will take windows - and windows has always cost money anyway.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

everyone I know who wanted one already has one by making their own

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The PS4 happened.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#35 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Steam Machines are part of long term goal . It is not something like PS4 or Xbox One that will will be released and everyone will be buying them day one . Just like Steam , it'll take years until we start to see results .
Main goal of Steam Machines was not to steal console customers but to stop closed platforms like tablets , to take over living rooms . That's something that Sony and M$ should've done .

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

they ended up costing like 2-3 times the amount of a desktop gaming PC