What game this generation had the biggest impact on you?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

masterdante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 masterdante
Member since 2007 • 1497 Posts
For me, its the first Mass Effect. In my opinion it is the best game this generation, but i admit its flaws like texture popin and such. Something about playing that game just clicked on every level for me. I started it off with the female Shepherd immediately, and have been with that same character for 4 years now. The universe they created is just incredible. I actually have read some of the novels, and thats something ive never had any interest in doing with a video game series (even RE which is my favorite franchise). I also think the music played a big part of it. I bought the soundtrack immediately after finishing it and my goodness that is QUITE the end credits song! Theres just an overall feeling i get when i play that game that i havent had since RE4. I love Mass Effect 2, but it lacked the general exploration and broad sense the first game had to me, and the music was also a step down. For me, Mass Effect is not about running down hallways shooting, but about being invested in this huge world and getting totally caught up in it. I couldnt be more excited for Mass Effect 3, but at the same time im completely terrified of it hahaha. What game do you have this sort of emotional investment in?
khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts
Mass Effect 2. Wonderful story, wonderful characters, great choice based progression, great, immersive universe, awesome cutscenes, great combat, and extremely fun combat.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Crysis. Never before has a SP FPS been so finely crafted. IMO, it's by far the best single player FPS ever created and will be for quite some time. I could go pages upon pages with praises and it wouldn't be enough. Crysis is what every PC game should strive to be. It had great everything. Visuals, sound, the best gameplay, perfect modding support, Sandbox, a good multiplayer (IMO.) The only thing that lacked was the story, but the presentation and atmosphere fit it right. It wasn't over-the-top Hollywood yet it wasn't complete rubbish.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Weirdly enough, Phoenix Wright. Man, I love those characters, especially Maya! PW games tell such exciting, fun stories.

I think SMG2 is the best thing I've played this gen though.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChubbyGuy40

Weirdly enough, Phoenix Wright. Man, I love those characters, especially Maya! PW games tell such exciting, fun stories.

GreySeal9

Godot approves of this truly epic post. They need to localize the new Ace Attorney Investigations!

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#7 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Mario Galaxy just because of the upside down and all aroudn level design.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

ChubbyGuy40

Godot approves of this truly epic post. They need to localize the new Ace Attorney Investigations!

There are new ones? :shock:

BTW, Godot is awesome. He's so cool. I loved his weird-as-hell-but-still-awesome coffee philosophisizing.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Metal Gear Solid 4 and Infamous 2 are the only two games I've cried at this generation.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40

BTW, Godot is awesome. He's so cool. I loved his weird-as-hell-but-still-awesome coffee philosophisizing.

GreySeal9

I meant just the second one which Capcom is delaying for localization. We had to wait a year for the first AAI. I bet we're gonna have to wait until next year for this one since it just released in Japan. Dunno why they choose to delay it though :evil:

Godot is awesome. He made Franny learn her role and shut up :D

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Assassin's Creed. Yes it wasn't that great a game but it impressed me and to an extend still does. Plus the sequels were nothing short of awesome.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Assassins Creed. It was the first hd game I ever played and I just thought that there was a lot that could be done with this. Just the cities, they felt so alive and the way people interacted with you, it felt like a living world, powerful hardware doesn't just mean pretty graphics, you couldn't get games like that on the wii it was just...big. Assassins Creed 2 just took it to another level.

If Nintendo could have taken this route and make a living Zelda world, just huge and immersive it'd be the greatest I thought.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Assassin's Creed. Yes it wasn't that great a game but it impressed me and to an extend still does. Plus the sequels were nothing short of awesome.Sgt_Crow

Jinx.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Does WoW count as this gen? If not:

• Braid - Awesome experience (I think Journey will give something similar, if not more so).
  • NIER - Amazing game, great experience.
  • Halo 3 - Spent a lot of time with it. Very fun an addictive.
  • Minecraft - An escape. I just played it & listened to music/shows for hours. WoW was much better in this regard, & many other ways, but I don't know if WoW counts as this gen.

Mass Effect 2, for how horribly written the main plot is compared to the first.

Stringerboy

Ha! Good one!

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

ChubbyGuy40

I meant just the second one which Capcom is delaying for localization. We had to wait a year for the first AAI. I bet we're gonna have to wait until next year for this one since it just released in Japan. Dunno why they choose to delay it though :evil:

Godot is awesome. He made Franny learn her role and shut up :D

Yeah, and she needs to shut up. She's a good character, but I find her "foolishly foolish fool" schtik to be pretty irritating.

On another note, as awesome as Godot is, his prosecuting style is kind of weird. He almost seems to not care when you're deconstructing his case.

But I guess that might be because:

[spoiler] His only reason for being a prosecutor seems to be to make life hard for Phoenix [/spoiler]

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

It´s a tie between Oblivion, RDR and Mass Effect 1.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#17 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Mass Effect. 1 or 2.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Nudity in Dante's Inferno.

aGOODdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aGOODdude
Member since 2010 • 444 Posts

GTAIV. Great story, great gameplay, great characters, great and alive "universe", numerous possibilities and unmatched attention to detail.

Some people complain that it's overly serious, too focused on narrative and not enough fun. I suggest to the folks that if feel that way to GTFO and play Saints Row, no hate.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's not my favorite game this gen, but Valkyria Chronicles really impressed me. I fell in love with the game as soon as I started playing it. VC injected some life into the PS3, and now I consider the PS3 my main console and support it all the time.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Mass Effect 2

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Bioshock....I totally became immersed in it. I actually felt like I was in Rapture. It also was the first game I played when I bought my first HDTV. Seeing that game on a 40 inch HDTV....amazing at the time.

I also have to mention Mass Effect 2. I really can never remember playing through a game so many times. There really is something special about this game.

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

Bioshock and Fallout 3. Couldn't stop playing either of them.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
Batman AA. Came out of nowhere and kicked some serious booty. I'm still impressed by it.
xdeathpandax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 xdeathpandax
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

Red Dead Redemption was an amazing game, it hit all of the right notes.
Also this one may not be everybody's cup of tea but I really got into NIER, the story was one of the best I've seen in a while and that music....

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

That would have to be Heavy rain. One of a kind experience, I always describe it to be as close to reading a good book as possible.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts
Mass Effect Series.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

mushihime-sama futari ver. 1.5
My first Cave Co., Ltd. game. Since then I've bought every release available on 360 and ps2. It was my reason to buy a 360 and it really had me experimenting with genres I haven't played before.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Call of Duty: World at War.. I still think the campaign is one of best of any game and is the best CoD campaign.
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

The World Ends With You really related to me at the time and was an amazing experience.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

portal 2. i just finished it last night and my god....

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts

Mario Galaxy got me into gaming again, so I'll go with that.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age I would say. Both game have compelling characters and environments.
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts
That would be MGS4, Uncharted 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 all at the time of their release because I had not seen such games raise the bar and standards each in their own ways. You dont get to see that every day
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Uncharted 2 is where I met most of my friends list. I love the game for its SP, but it got me buying MP games with those same people. So it had the biggest impact.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#36 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Knights in the Nightmare, Okami or Silent Hill Shattered Memories.

DCSullyvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DCSullyvan
Member since 2011 • 320 Posts

UC2. Restored my faith in TPS and gave me the realization that games CAN have good voice acting.

The_Pacific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 The_Pacific
Member since 2011 • 1804 Posts
Mario Galaxy (showed me what perfection really looked like) Red Dead redemption (Best open world game i've played all generation)
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts
So Many Just Cause 2 massive open world game where u can do a lot of stuff, and doesnt take itself to seriously Uncharted 2 because u play through the cinematic moments instead of watching it like a cut scene , Heavy Rain just the kind of game it was Demons Souls how te online was intergrated into the singleplayer exp instead of joing a party or invite system it was apart of how the game played
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

This might sound a bit strange, but Super Mario Galaxy didn't impress me that much, but Super Mario Galaxy 2 completely blew my freaken face off.

The sequel was just so much fresher and imaginative than its predecessor. Not to mention more colourful, quicker paced, and challenging. I was so blown away with that game that I place it in among my three biggest OMG moments I ever had in gaming.

-Playing a video game for the first time in my life

-playing my first 3D game

-playing Super Mario Galaxy 2

Famiking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Famiking
Member since 2009 • 4879 Posts

Probably BK: Nuts & Bolts. I absolutely love how they thought up something new and made it into something amazing. There's sooo much to do in that game and it makes your creativity shine. Kudos to Rare. I wish there are more games that take these kind of risks. I also loved Assassin's Creed. The cities and the open world are just so beautiful and alive. One of the few games where walking around is just fun.

Other games I liked were Phoenix Wright (a text-based game that's actually fun) and Trauma Centre (excellent use of Wii controls, also something new). And while I didn't have fun playing Bioshock itself, the creativity put into that game wins it some points. I'm hoping for a game that's similar to Bioshock but isn't in first person and with less shooting.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Demon's Souls. Never in all my years of gaming have I ever put in anywhere near the number of hours into a game before (over 500)
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

New Super Mario Bros Wii.

I was going through a phase where I was pretty much sick of gaming. Everything was getting to where every game felt like every other game, and every character felt like every other character. I didn't have any desire to pick up and play anymore, then I played NSMB and it rekindled my love for gaming :)

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#44 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Halo 3. Me and my friends use to get together and play it online pretty frequently until Reach came out. Alot of great times. I really enjoyed being there from start to finish seeing how it's community shaped.

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

Gears of War. The first "next-gen" game to me back in 06. The 360 was looking like a waste but Gears justified the purchase.

markko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 markko84
Member since 2011 • 212 Posts

Battlefield Bad Company 2. I've never played Battlefield Games before (altought always have respected), but this game completely changed my way of enjoying online fps gaming. I just can't enjoy run and shoot online anymore, after playing it. I consider myself a proud Bad Company 2 and Battlefield fanboy.

560 hours in the game and I just don't get tired of. Can't wait for Bf3.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Red Dead Redemption for me. The authenticity the game delivers is mind boggling. Never have i experienced a game that brings forth a realistic wild west setting.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Bioshock. Never before has the enivronment and atmosphere of a game got me 'OMGWTF'-ing so much that I failed to eat or sleep for the first 15 hours of the game. I lost some serious weight playing that.
Shawtymann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 Shawtymann
Member since 2006 • 2561 Posts

LittleBigPlanet 1 for me. I felt like a kid again the first time I played it. It was gaming bliss kinda like the first time I played GTA 3

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Super Mario Galaxy.

I had become so bored with gaming that I was seriously considering just quitting altogether. The games that were coming out for the other consoles and PC just had no impact on me, and I wasn't seeing any differences between this gen and last gen. That changed when I played SMG, as it provided something new, and brought back the fun feeling of gaming to me. The new controller and its smart utilization showed me that gaming was still changing, and as a 3D platformer, I had never had so much fun playing one. So basically, SMG revitalized my gaming spirit, and so I will always have a soft spot for it.