What does the WiiU need to do to impress you at E3 2012?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

So last E3 Nintendo revealed the WiiU to everybody but failed to show us any games in development. Some tech demos and the promise of more 3rd party support and multiplatform development left a lot of people skeptical. Rumors of it's internal hardware have also surfaced and the machine doesn't seem to be a massive leap in power from the current generation which leads a lot of people to speculate most of the games on the system will also be on the current gen consoles in late 2012 and 2013. While hardcore Nintendo fans may rejoice that they are finally getting proper 3rd party games, the rest of us aren't that impressed by being able to play games we can already get on our current consoles.

The WiiU's tablet controller is unique and innovative in a few ways, but early reports say the hardware was unreliable. From what I can tell at CES they have fixed those problems.

So what is it going to take Nintendo to impress you at E3 2012?

Personally they will need to show me that the multiplatform games can really benefit from the controller and are up to par with games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics. They also need to show me some new 1st party titles that use the controller well. It wouldn't hurt for them to get up to times with current online standards as well. If I need friend codes on the WiiU, I'll be highly disappointed.

The last will be price. The tech demos I saw from E3 2011 were extremely underwhelming, so I know the thing isn't a powerhouse. Since the WiiU does not have blu-ray playback capabilities and there has been no indication of an internal harddrive for large storage, they better not price the thing anything over $300. If it is set to launch at $400 there is absolutely no way I will even bother with one.

So that's it. It has to show me the innovations that they are hinting at, and the thing has to be cheap. I'm not dropping $400 on a dedicated gaming machine which 6 year old consoles can match in terms of power and outmatch in terms of value.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Announcement of 10 AA-AAA exclusive games available at launch.
Enforcedspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Enforcedspot
Member since 2010 • 2915 Posts
Hoping some pikmin 3 trailers, and Retro studios' new game would be nice too. I'm already planning to buy wii u anyway.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

launch with a 1080p Zelda game NOT developed with Miyamoto as the go to guy.

If they startb showing multiplats using the tablet I will stop watching.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

They need to announce whether or not the SSB game has actually started development, or if they plan on starting development any time soon.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

rasengan2552

1080p would be foolish if the leaked specs have any truth to them.

I don't expect any of the next gen consoles to be going 1080p with everything. There is no point. 720p + upscaling looks fine for 95% of gamers and they can cram much more detail and objects into the game world.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Games, games, games, and more games. That's why I buy systems, to play games.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

It needs to have 1080p as the "standard" res.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rasengan2552

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

Wasdie

I don't expect any of the next gen consoles to be going 1080p with everything. There is no point. 720p + upscaling looks fine for 95% of gamers and they can cram much more detail and objects into the game world.

I would like to see it in 1080p. I have been waiting for 20+ years.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Remove to tablet control and use the Gamecube controller. Get better 3rd party support. Developed a WAY better online system than what they have now (and keep it free like Sony). Have their first party start developing new IPs instead of rehashing the same old tired IPs over and ever again like they do every gen. Add a large hard drive. Don't wait til years later after releasing a game before dropping the price like they do now. Don't take forever to drop the price of the system (I never buy a system when it first releases). If they do all that, then they will get my money. If not, then they will get from me what they got from me this gen.......nothing.
BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Id like to see a console at a reasonalbe price point at launch. I think if Nintendo can get that right, they will do well. The tablet controller I can see appealing to alot of people, especially those that dont have any kind of tablet computer themselves. Id also like to see some multiplat franchises going to WiiU with the same game as other platforms, rather than a gimped version. That would do wonders for Nintendo. I dont expect native 1080p games lol, but modern looking games from them would suffice.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

Wasdie

I'm sure people were making the same argument for 480p at the start of this gen.

It's time for consoles to make the jump.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
Good question. DEfinitly NOT more controller hype. I want to know or see console capabilities , see some nice demos of forthcoming games and some great exclusives ( zelda, mario i dont care you name it , but not just third party multis. ).
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Games, games, games, and more games. That's why I buy systems, to play games.

Phoenix534
Dont tell that to some sensitive sheeps here !! They go damage control.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rasengan2552

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

topgunmv

I'm sure people were making the same argument for 480p at the start of this gen.

It's time for consoles to make the jump.

Exactly. sheep have been claiming that 1080p will be the standard. I tried to refute it but they INSISTED it will. So if its sub that, then I am not interested.

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 reach3
Member since 2012 • 1600 Posts

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

Wasdie

I am sorry, but you are incorrect. The Wii U will be able to do 1080p easily. You seem to forgot that all Nintendo systems others than Wii were hella powerful.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

reach3

I am sorry, but you are incorrect. The Wii U will be able to do 1080p easily. You seem to forgot that all Nintendo systems others than Wii were hella powerful.

You cant really sy he is incorrect based on your assumption, something he has done aswell. Its all up in the air at the moment, and I personally dont see Nintendo aiming for the highest point on the board.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

A new Battle Revolution game and more Zelda and Mario is what I need.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Games, a very good interface, good online and steam:P
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Solid launch lineup and an integrated online system like Live.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Solid launch lineup and an integrated online system like Live.

lundy86_4

I don't think their Online will be integrated like Xbox Live.

But Nintendo is talking with a lot of 3rd Party developers mainly EA and Valve and asking them what they want to see in an Online system for the Wii U.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rasengan2552

The WiiU's online will probably a wi-fi hotspot at McDonalds.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

new 1st person metroid... and possibly a 3rd party exclusive... please save the new IPs for later and I dont want to see a bunch of Miis playing volleyball or flutes

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I don't think their Online will be integrated like Xbox Live.

But Nintendo is talking with a lot of 3rd Party developers mainly EA and Valve and asking them what they want to see in an Online system for the Wii U.

Nintendo_Ownes7

I'm thinking that it won't be. It's no like my purchase is gonna rest on that, but it certainly would be nice. Hopefully we get something closer to what the HD consoles offered this gen.

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

A Decent Online system (no friend codes)

A decent launch lineup at least one of the big N titles in there

Graphics a step up from HD Twins

399 US Dollar

3rd Party Support

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Well I do very much have faith in Nintendo and am super excited for the console. But I do feel that they absolutely have to just nail it with software. Sure the games announced need to showcase the advantages of the awesome new controller first and foremost, but a variety of high profile hardcore-centric games needs to also be present. And a healthy dose of them. They nned to show ten games at least that have hardcore appeal and can be looked forward to soon after launch. That will be game over and they will win the day.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I think first of all, the controller must be cheap. That's one problem that have arisen from it's design, how expensive will be a tablet-controller? I honestly think it's design is a huge boost for split-screen and would be a shame if it is expensive to have a spare one for your buddy.

Second it would need a strong dev support. They made sure, it seens, that it would be a very friendly device to program. The exclusive titles and multi-plats is the most important thing. If it ends up like the Wii, a console where third party goes to die (only not in semi-rare cases), it will be pointless to acquire one.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#28 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I doubt Nintendo could do anything to impress me with that system at this point...

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I want new IPs in all genras with 2012 release dates.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I will make a list in order of things needed to impress me :P

1. Exclusives (Mainly first party titles like Zelda and Metroid getting an Epic makeover)
  2. Great gaphics (Hopefully notably better than current consoles)
  3. Good online and other GUI related things (get with the times N. You have done pretty well the with 3DS, but still have some work to do)

As much as I love great tech and such, the selling point for me will be if they support the core gamers and really deliver some epic masterpiece games. I want to see an evolution of Zelda and Metroid. Some new Ip's would be awesome as well.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Probably an HD Zelda, i have never played a zelda game so if they come up with a true HD Zelda game i may just actually for once be interested in a Nintendo system then again i bet they'll use that crappy looking tap thing as a controller but hey guess will see. as of right now i am zero % interested in the weeU.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7

1. Exclusives (Mainly first party titles like Zelda and Metroid getting an Epic makeover)
  3. Good online and other GUI related things (get with the times N. You have done pretty well the with 3DS, but still have some work to do)

NaveedLife

I think Nintendo will have good Online with the Wii U.

Nintendo said they can't do online by themselves which is what they were doing with the Wii, DS, and maybe 3DS.

With the Wii U Nintendo is asking 3rd Parties that have experience with online and asking them what they should do to make it better. The main 3rd Parties they are asking are EA and Valve.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Nintendo said they can't do online by themselves which is what they were doing with the Wii, DS, and maybe 3DS.

With the Wii U Nintendo is asking 3rd Parties that have experience with online and asking them what they should do to make it better. The main 3rd Parties they are asking are EA and Valve.

The 3DS is good enough for me, but I would like it to be a little less clunky (get rid of codes altogether and just use names), although some aspects they do very well with the 3DS. I am not worried about the online. The power in the console and more importantly, the core games are where my concern is.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rasengan2552

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

I think the 2001 beta build of XBL will still be better than the WiiU's online.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

Good games and the price $349-399.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

video games.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

I'm pretty much a sheep, but I don't really have the desire to rush out and get it. They will really need to show me something that would make me want it right away.

Right now, I haven't even started Twilight Princess, and there are so many other games that are cheap that i would get first. I'll wait until the first or second price cut.

However, I heard No More Heroes 3 may be in the works. That might do it.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#38 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I would like it if they showed a new Zelda, but not like the Wii Zelda. I want the WiiU to be just as or even more powerful than our systems today, which some rumors are saying that it is, if it can do these kind of games what's to stop them from making a really awesome Zelda game that has Great graphics and gameplay and just looks and plays amazing? That's what I want, I would also like them to not just focus on motion control but offer many different options to play your game, let you choose how you want to play it.

Of course there are other things like a good online service and whatnot, but beyond that I think the WiiU might have a chance. I'm going to end up probably buying it anyway because I always buy every Nintendo system. Oh and it is getting Blu Ray so that is a step in the right direction, and some multiplat devs have taken a look at it, even Bethesda has said that Skyrim on WiiU is a possibility, so we'll see....

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Be *next-gen* and not just reaching current gen in 2012.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nintendo_Ownes7

I would like it if they showed a new Zelda, but not like the Wii Zelda. I want the WiiU to be just as or even more powerful than our systems today, which some rumors are saying that it is, if it can do these kind of games what's to stop them from making a really awesome Zelda game that has Great graphics and gameplay and just looks and plays amazing? That's what I want, I would also like them to not just focus on motion control but offer many different options to play your game, let you choose how you want to play it.

Of course there are other things like a good online service and whatnot, but beyond that I think the WiiU might have a chance. I'm going to end up probably buying it anyway because I always buy every Nintendo system. Oh and it is getting Blu Ray so that is a step in the right direction, and some multiplat devs have taken a look at it, even Bethesda has said that Skyrim on WiiU is a possibility, so we'll see....

ShadowMoses900

They might show a new Zelda. Miyamoto said he wanted the Wii U Zelda to get released 2-3 years after launch.

They showed Skyward Sword 2-3 years in advanced so they might do the same with this Zelda.

Omzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Omzzz
Member since 2010 • 1440 Posts
Games and online structure. That is what I think are most important and Nintendo really needs to show how they stack against the other consoles.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I don't want to see a Wii-U Sports that's for damn sure.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts

Fire Reggie. The system will be meaningless to me if he chokes it to death on the software side in my region. I like Nintendo games, but I need more than JUST Nintendo games. Reggie doesn't get that, he tries to overspecialize for his market, and murders variety in the process. Which is why the Wii is dying such a painful death in North America. If they don't fire that moron, at least make the damn thing region free so I can just go around that dumbass altogether.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
If Miyamoto can refrain from coming out and holding the tablet as a shield for zelda than I'd also be very happy.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Make me a sandwich. Turkey and avocado with provolone, please. Oh, and hot peppers.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
A real online feature with gamer tag and real chat. What's up with Nintendo and hate for allowing u to communicate ?
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
GTA V with Mario as the main character.
rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

only way i would buy day one is if it had zelda, mario or metroid prime games running at 1080p 60 fps with visuals that match crysis 2/bf3/witcher 2 on ultra! otherwise why bother???

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Just show up. We know the first party games are coming, just a question of when.

3rd parties get on board.

PRICE IT EFFECTIVELY.

Decent online system.

I'm pretty stoked for Wii-U as it is, this is just a wishlist.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
Games. That's all it needs for me :) of course I want bells and whistles and great online, but if it's got the games, it's got my money