What does Square Enix need to do to win you back?

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

For me,they need to make better RPGs.

Maybe another Chrono game...

And take risks,develop more different games.

No,i'm not gonna say remakes of old FF games.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Chrono Trigger HD. Make it happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
SE still remains a good publisher.
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
As a developer? Coz they're pretty aite publishers. But as a dev, just make good games that are released in the West.
Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
Grandia 4! With the awesome grandia battle system. And maybe Type-0 localized
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Since they are a JRPG company. I want a JRPG without all the bs that comes with me playing a JRPG. less fluff, less hand holding, less anime bullsh1t, better pacing, better sense of variety, more elaborate uses of their usually fantastic battle systems with all the customization options I've gotten used to over the years, and a properly done game. I don't need 60 hours of fluff like rpg fans do because to them doing something routine for 60 hours is fun. I want something well done. If you only came up with 10 hours of ideas and story. It better be 10 hours, and not 40 in which you wasted my 30 hours of my precious life.
Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

Bring back Yasumi Matsuno.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#10 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts 3. I never gave up on Square, but I am still waiting on these two titles.
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Localize Bravely Default and get rid of lightning.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

They need to stay away from Chrono Trigger until they prove they can make decent rpg's again.

What they need to do is go back to their roots. What's with the characters names being very dumb? Lightning, storm, blah blah.

I want another final fantasy 2D similar to #6. Different characters have different abilities. They have cool real life names. They look cool. The little time bar for turn based battles like in FF 4 and Chrono Trigger need to come back. They need to bring back similar world progression and exploration as in #4 or #6. Bring in dungeon puzzles we all love. All the different classes like blue mage, red mage, paladin ect.

But no, we get FF13 number 200 instead. F U Square Enix.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
They've been doing quite well as a publisher actually, funding studios to take on risky titles like Deux Ex HR and Sleeping Dogs, amongst more recent titles. As a developer, they need to think fresh on creating new jRPG IPs. They're milking the FFXIII world too hard: FF games have always been different stories to be told, and they've spent the entire generation dwelling in FFXIII's. Square isn't lost quite yet: they can easily recover with a single good game developed in-house: listening to fans regarding KH3 or FFVXIII wouldn't hurt them either.
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreekGameManiac

They've been doing quite well as a publisher actually, funding studios to take on risky titles like Deux Ex HR and Sleeping Dogs, amongst more recent titles. As a developer, they need to think fresh on creating new jRPG IPs. They're milking the FFXIII world too hard: FF games have always been different stories to be told, and they've spent the entire generation dwelling in FFXIII's. Square isn't lost quite yet: they can easily recover with a single good game developed in-house: listening to fans regarding KH3 or FFVXIII wouldn't hurt them either.Brainhunter

Yeah,that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts
More Hitman, that is all.
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
Final Fantasy X-3 :D
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
Pay me.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Be a little smarter about announcing games early in development. I

honestly feel like a game shouldn't be announced if it has over a year and a half to release.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

A proper sequel to Chrono Trigger.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23725 Posts

Just do what they did throughout the 90s.

Make great games in a reasonable amount of time. 2-3 year development cycles that yield gold.

I know they've always been about the tech, but it wasn't always at the top of their priorities. If they have to tone the graphics down to deliver a better game with more content then so be it.

Beyond that, they need to quit thinking that their sh*t doesn't stink. The writing continues to get worse and worse. The stories continue to get more pretentious and pseudo-intellectual. They take themselves far too seriously. Lighten up and come back down to earth, or hit the streets. When millions of your fans get a bad taste in their mouths maybe your "artistic vision" isn't all that.

And please god, put a tight leash on Nomura, or tell him to move on. Some people are more useful when they under someone elses guidance, or have a strong counter-voice. Nomura is one of those people. His designs suck. Both his character designs and his game design. Hes an extremely talented individual, but he should not have full reign the he does.

Basically it all boils down to this. SE needs firm management with a clear sense of direction. It would alleviate all of their issues.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

They're still fine developers in my eyes. It's not really their fault that JRPGs aren't the "flavor of the month" anymore. And in fact, they've done more to evolve the genre toward being more modern and streamlined than any other developer I can think of. (Maybe Monolithsoft being the one exception)

They could stop with all of the milking of XIII, though. It wasn't that great, Square. Move on.

Edit: I agree with Conan on his points about the quality of writing being in decline, and doubly so for everything said regarding Nomura.:lol:

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

they havent loss me. I still enjoy thier games. Though i dont know why they focused on 13 so much. I still had fun wuth 13 and 13-2 but something els would have been nice. Also like someone els said learn to announce games that are actually close to being done.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

is not about win me back because I'm not a fanboy of companies. If they make a game that I like then I will buy it and that is it. I bought FF13 day 1 though but I really had no idea the game was going to be like that... I didn't even read reviews to not spoil anything but after playing it myself this was the first FF game in my life that I couldn't wait to beat just to give it in trade-in at GameStop because it was that bad. Prior to that I was going to throw it to the trash (where it belongs) but then I remembered that I could get something out of it by trading it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ConanTheStoner

It's not really their fault that JRPGs aren't the "flavor of the month" anymore.

Assassin_87

In a way it actually is. They brought JRPGs into the mainstream. Now it seems they're doing their best to take them out.

If they were still making games that could stand toe to toe with their older achievements (within reasonable amounts of time), JRPGs wouldn't be in the sh*tter right now.

Not saying that they carry all jrpgs on their shoulders, but even back then they were really the only ones western gamers bought into.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

In a way it actually is. They brought JRPGs into the mainstream. Now it seems they're doing their best to take them out.

If they were still making games that could stand toe to toe with their older achievements (within reasonable amounts of time), JRPGs wouldn't be in the sh*tter right now.

ConanTheStoner

I don't know if I agree that it is their fault, even "in a way". But I guess I see your perspective on this. Realistically, it's not as if FFXIII was some monumental failure of the caliber that it should sink an entire series/genre, and XII was one of the finest games in the series from where I'm standing. Gamers are fickle though, and will rewrite and exaggerate the history of our beloved industry to suit the stories they want to tell or believe.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

White Engine really trapped them into those FFXIII games. Easy to reuse and easy profit to help recoup from FFXIV. Next gen will be so nice since it will more or less "reset" a lot of companies, SE included. Hopefully they take this gen as a "lesson learned" and get back in the business of making JRPGs like we saw on PS1/PS2.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreekGameManiac

I don't know if I agree that it is their fault, even "in a way". But I guess I see your perspective on this. Realistically, it's not as if FFXIII was some monumental failure of the caliber that it should sink an entire series/genre, and XII was one of the finest games in the series from where I'm standing. Gamers are fickle though, and will rewrite and exaggerate the history of our beloved industry to suit the stories they want to tell or believe.

Assassin_87

I know right?

Ppl blow out of proportions everything...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ConanTheStoner

[QUOTE="ConanTheStoner"]

Assassin_87

True enough. And I agree XII was a fine game. And MASSIVE. I enjoyed it a lot.

Just considering how frequently they would put out awesome games in the past it seems like they've been up to no good for so long.

I really disliked XIII. And its the only big single player rpg we've gotten from them this gen. When I look at it and think that the last really great console game they made was 7 years ago it puts me in a bad mood. :x

sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts
Since they are a JRPG company. I want a JRPG without all the bs that comes with me playing a JRPG. less fluff, less hand holding, less anime bullsh1t, better pacing, better sense of variety, more elaborate uses of their usually fantastic battle systems with all the customization options I've gotten used to over the years, and a properly done game. I don't need 60 hours of fluff like rpg fans do because to them doing something routine for 60 hours is fun. I want something well done. If you only came up with 10 hours of ideas and story. It better be 10 hours, and not 40 in which you wasted my 30 hours of my precious life. jg4xchamp

Just do what they did throughout the 90s.

Make great games in a reasonable amount of time. 2-3 year development cycles that yield gold.

I know they've always been about the tech, but it wasn't always at the top of their priorities. If they have to tone the graphics down to deliver a better game with more content then so be it.

Beyond that, they need to quit thinking that their sh*t doesn't stink. The writing continues to get worse and worse. The stories continue to get more pretentious and pseudo-intellectual. They take themselves far too seriously. Lighten up and come back down to earth, or hit the streets. When millions of your fans get a bad taste in their mouths maybe your "artistic vision" isn't all that.

And please god, put a tight leash on Nomura, or tell him to move on. Some people are more useful when they under someone elses guidance, or have a strong counter-voice. Nomura is one of those people. His designs suck. Both his character designs and his game design. Hes an extremely talented individual, but he should not have full reign the he does.

Basically it all boils down to this. SE needs firm management with a clear sense of direction. It would alleviate all of their issues.

ConanTheStoner
^ My thoughts on this.
Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

FF7 REMAKE

26858357.jpg

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Nothing, they still make quality games that I enjoy. Lucky for me I'm an importer and currently studying Japanese.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

for starters, they could think about how their games play. yeah, combat systems are important for traditional jrpg's and there is no getting around that. however, they shouldn't make a 30 hour game about moving from one battle to the next with cut-scenes in the middle. there has to be another layer and they've made one in the past with towns and (occasionally) a well designed overworld. i don't care if it's not the best looking thing on consoles. i'll take good design.

for bonus points, they could lose their fetish with cinematics. SE has a bad history of piling up hours of cut-scenes over a gibberish plot, and sacrificing good design for it's pacing no less, all to justify a flashy effects sequence. if i wanted that, i'd watch a movie that isn't shackled by mass consumer hardware.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ConanTheStoner

FF7 REMAKE

26858357.jpg

Obviously_Right

I honestly think this would only serve to piss people off.

If they change too much then people will hate it.

If they put out the same game, but with up to date graphics many people will see that FFVII really isnt all that great and be sorely disappointed. Amazing for its time, but sub-standard in every way these days.

NOBODY will be happy with the voice acting lol. And I imagine instead of being true to the game, SE will go full fan service and make it tough to stomach.

If they do remake it I would only want a visual upgrade with bug fixes. Keep the set camera angles, keep with the matte painted backgrounds (redone of course), even leave voice acting out altogether. Just give me the original game, but make it look amazing!

I'm sure most fans would disagree though and SE probably wouldn't go that route anyways.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

[QUOTE="Obviously_Right"]

FF7 REMAKE

ConanTheStoner

If they put out the same game, but with up to date graphics many people will see that FFVII really isnt all that great and be sorely disappointed. Amazing for its time, but sub-standard in every way these days.

NOBODY will be happy with the voice acting lol. And I imagine instead of being true to the game, SE will go full fan service and make it tough to stomach.

If they do remake it I would only want a visual upgrade with bug fixes. Keep the set camera angles, keep with the matte painted backgrounds (redone of course), even leave voice acting out altogether. Just give me the original game, but make it look amazing!

I'm sure most fans would disagree though and SE probably wouldn't go that route anyways.

Good post.

I agree 100%

Sphire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sphire
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts

FF7 REMAKE

26858357.jpg

ConanTheStoner

I feel the same way about an FFVI remake. Nostalgia fans would be in for a shock when they realise the game isn't all that. Although at least it wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of story changes on a scale that FFVII would have considering the butchering crisis core/dirge of cerberus did to ffvii.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

It always baffles me how much people want to Square to make FF remakes.

Just let them make a good new game. I would love to play another Final Fantasy like 6/7/8/9

Avatar image for BattlefieldFan3
BattlefieldFan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BattlefieldFan3
Member since 2012 • 361 Posts
Square Enix needs to put their headquarters in the US. They can keep pumping out garbage games. If it's made in the US, I'll buy it.
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner

I feel the same way about an FFVI remake. Nostalgia fans would be in for a shock when they realise the game isn't all that. Although at least it wouldn't have to deal with the possibility of story changes on a scale that FFVII would have considering the butchering crisis core/dirge of cerberus did to ffvii.

Sphire
Man FFVI is one of my favorite games, I dont want them to touch it. Even if they did a good job it wouldnt live up to my unrealistic expectations.. but I honestly wouldn't trust them to do a good job at all.

It always baffles me how much people want to Square to make FF remakes.

Just let them make a good new game. I would love to play another Final Fantasy like 6/7/8/9

Sagem28
Exactly! A game with similar lay out to the older titles, but improved and evolved (not overly streamlined!) would be so great. There wouldn't be so many fans starved for remakes if they could just start delivering those kinds of games again.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
release ffx hd and ffv13 this year, and then make the next dragon quest game (XI) on the ps4 and NOT be a mmo.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Would it kill them to make another Superme commander?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

GreekGameManiac

If this gen showed anything, it is that wince Western developers came into their own, Japanese style gaming has fallen out of favor with Western style games. I don't think SE can do anything to fix that - the last FF game was pretty good, IMO. Still, I had a lot more fun playing Dragon Age, Elder Scroll, and Mass Effect games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#42 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Make good games?

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

StormyJoe

If this gen showed anything, it is that wince Western developers came into their own, Japanese style gaming has fallen out of favor with Western style games. I don't think SE can do anything to fix that - the last FF game was pretty good, IMO. Still, I had a lot more fun playing Dragon Age, Elder Scroll, and Mass Effect games.

Star Ocean Till the End of Time is closer to the Western Genre than most of their recent attempts.

TheEpicGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheEpicGoat
Member since 2011 • 2006 Posts

They need to make games in the first-person perspective with big explosions and powerful weaponry.

Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

Stop making MMOs and mobile games

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

"What does Square Enix need to do to win you back?"

Modernize and tell good stories again.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Localize Dragon Quest VII and Bravely default.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Give me tons of info and media on FF VS XIII and make it live up to the hype, showing off an open world, beautiful graphics, amazing story, and the return of FF and JRPG's (not to say JRPG's are dead or anything, but you know).

I have always loved the art and all the media shown on VS XIII, so I hope it is as good as it could be.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Localize Bravely Default and get rid of lightning. King_Dodongo

I forgot about Bravely Default. Localizing this would be awesome!

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts
Win me back? They never lost me.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

FF7 REMAKE

26858357.jpg

ConanTheStoner

yeah I disagree, there are some games when I replay years after I wondered what ai liked about them in the first place or it wasn't has good as remember, but I didn't have that problem with FF VII. I still think it's combat system is one of the best ever made. I still don't want a remake though, I want to play new games not old ones. FF XIII was the first major title that I hated, every one can have a bad game.