What are your personal gripes with Xbox One?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts
  • I don't like how the system is less powerful than the PS4 but costs more.
  • It bothers me how Microsoft doesn't support their systems. They dropped support for the original Xbox when the 360 released and they are doing the same thing with the Xbox 360.
  • Reports are coming out saying the Xbox One is being rushed and will have hardware issues like the Red Ring of Death.
  • Reports are also coming out saying games aren't even outputting in 1080p on Xbox One.
  • All of the controller comparison reviews are saying that the DualShock 4 is far superior to the Xbox One controller, with the Xbox One controller being worse than the 360 controller.
  • Not enough good 1st party exclusive franchises.
  • More expensive online than PS4.

Kinect 2.0 is garbage just like the Kinect 1.0

Here's an article posted a couple weeks ago from Kotaku regarding hands on experience with Kinect 2.0

http://kotaku.com/why-im-a-little-bit-worried-about-kinect-1381738496

I am a little bit worried about Kinect.

I’ve just spent 10 minutes being scanned into Kinect Sports Rivals. I’m not sure if it’s working correctly. The only feedback I am being given is from a Microsoft rep to my right. He’s politely giving me instructions when the Kinect (for some reason) stops the scan.

“Take a step forward.”

“Take a step back.”

“Maybe just tilt your head a little bit left.”

After this laborious effort (which I’m assured will be streamlined before launch) Kinect Sports Rivals goes through the process of translating the information into a virtual representation of me. As it does its calculations I ask myself, ‘if this is difficult with a Microsoft representative guiding me step by step, how difficult will it be for a ten year old in the comfort of his or her own home, or parents who’ve never used a console before?’1

Then my avatar pops up. It looks vaguely like me. Vaguely. That’s being generous. The 3DS did a similar job of creating my Mii with a single low-resolution photograph. Was it really worth all that effort?

Now to play Kinect Sports Rivals itself. The rep sets up a two player game. Rock climbing. As someone obsessed with rock climbing (I climb three times a week) I’m super excited. I stand side by side with the Microsoft rep. Immediately I notice there is something wrong. My avatar’s limbs are contorted like some screwed up Lovecraftian marionette, my arms twitch incessantly, clearly not responding to any of my movements.

I think we have a problem here.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time with the Xbox One’s new Kinect, and it seemed like a significant chunk of that time was spent trying to get things to work when (two months from the launch of Xbox One) they should simply work.3

We were supposed to be forgiving, and we were. After two player Rock Climbing on Kinect Sports Rivals clearly wasn’t working, I was happy to simply try out the single player, despite Microsoft making a big fuss of the fact Kinect allows multiple players on-screen simultaneously. Single player climbing worked more fluidly but, regardless, I never really felt like I was in control of my actions. My movements weren’t being replicated accurately. I felt as though I was fumbling my way to the top with no real in-game feedback; no real sense that Kinect was working as advertised.

‘The lag has been reduced massively’: that’s what we’re constantly being told in conferences, in communications with Microsoft, in interviews, in previews. I have no doubt there are figures to back those statements up, but the disconnect between my movements in real life as replicated on screen is obvious. I feel it, instantly, and it makes playing any game with Kinect a frustrating experience. The next game I play is Wakeboarding, it feels a little better than climbing, but it’s nowhere near responsive enough. The delay is obvious to anyone who plays it, to the point where I can’t imagine anyone investing in it to any great extent.

I find myself asking another question: three years after the release of Kinect, how many video games have really worked well with Kinect? I come up with two names. Two. Dance Central and Child of Eden. In three years. Is it possible that Kinect just isn’t suited for video games?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I don't like that they wont give me one for free. Seriously the whole less powerful than PS4 but more expensive is weak. They don't base price strictly on power, deal with it. And if power is so important, go PC, you'll beat both. Also Gunstringer and Fable worked well. played both with my nephew on leave, and had a blast.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

Is price and kinect. That's all

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Lack of exclusives I actually want to play. I have my PC for multiplats so exclusive lineup is what will sell me a next gen system and Sony usually have better exclusives for my gaming tastes

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Microsoft hasn't had the best track record for proving they support their systems lately, that and the higher $100 price point, the fact the two most hyped games seem to be Ryse and Titanfall, one of which is a multiplat doesn't do much to solidify it having the stronger launch library in my eyes.

That and I'm a big fan of the Sony exclusive franchises, possibly the fact the ps4 will also have a large japanese developer following most likely helps my decision.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

forced upon Kinect and the possibilty MS will abandon the system after 3-4 years like they did with the 360.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

kinect is really the only downside for me right now

ZoomZoom2490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZoomZoom2490
Member since 2008 • 3943 Posts

128-bit memory bus that was used for graphics 15 years ago.

sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

When making pontless fake topics like these, at least try to limit the troll level dumbass.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

1. No exclusives like the other 2 xbox's

2. Bad hardware. Low gfx/performance, worst version of most multiplats. Most games best on PC.

3. Kinect focus on games (or non games as I should say).

4. Terrible Online. M$ = Late patches, no mods, bad community, bad indy scnee, lag, no competitive scene, pay for advertisements

5. Worst controller

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Oh look. A thread which is partially recycled from a post.

I've seen games run on both consoles.

My gripes with Xbox One are price, Kinect 2, Xbox Live subscription fee, a lack of certainty regarding family sharing.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@arkephonic:

1. Kinect

2. Lack of diverse quality exclusives. Halo, Fable, Forza yearly/bi-yearly releases does nothing for me. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse look like crap to me.

3. Weak hardware. They should have spent the money they used on Kinect on a better GPU and faster RAM.

4. Price. No way around this, paying more for weaker hardware just goes against logic and MS hasn't done a good job of convincing me why I should.

5. MS keeping apps behind a paywall.

6. PS+ is just better value any way you look at it. $50/year and I get free games and discounts. With XBLive I get nothing but Skype and Netflix.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@arkephonic: Only the price, but i can live with that if the Kinect turns out to be useful and much better then the original. Other than that, nothing else really bothers me.

Only thing that bothers me about the PS4 is that they haven't really allowed the public to play it yet. We have not even seen inside of the hardware so it can be analyzed like the XB1. Rumors of the hardware overheating and shutting down may also be a problem. Can't wait for both systems to come out. I'm glad the PS4 s launching first. If there are issues, Sony will be the first one criticized this time around.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

#1 Having to pay more for Kinect when I will surely never use it. #2 Needlessly tacked on charges, like having to buy rechargeable batteries for the Controller when the PS3's does it out of the box. #3 Worry if Microsoft will drop "Hardcore" Support and chase casuals again, I know they did that with the 360 and compared to the PS3 which got a TON of games later in it's life cycle I wouldn't like it if they did.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts
@cainetao11 said:

I don't like that they wont give me one for free. Seriously the whole less powerful than PS4 but more expensive is weak. They don't base price strictly on power, deal with it. And if power is so important, go PC, you'll beat both. Also Gunstringer and Fable worked well. played both with my nephew on leave, and had a blast.

Why would it be more expensive if it were less powerful?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@blackace said:

@arkephonic: Only the price, but i can live with that if the Kinect turns out to be useful and much better then the original. Other than that, nothing else really bothers me.

Only thing that bothers me about the PS4 is that they haven't really allowed the public to play it yet. We have not even seen inside of the hardware so it can be analyzed like the XB1. Rumors of the hardware overheating and shutting down may also be a problem. Can't wait for both systems to come out. I'm glad the PS4 s launching first. If there are issues, Sony will be the first one criticized this time around.

Actually you're wrong on this one bro. There are already PS4 kiosks in Europe, here is one from Germany:

As for the pic of PS4 overheating the image confirmed fake by Yoshida on Twitter. Looks like someone had fun with photoshopping the red light on PS4.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

It's a product from Microsoft.

Derpy derp

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61485 Posts

As it stands, I don't really have any.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#19  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Aside from the high price, no gripe at all.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts
@arkephonic said:
What are your personal gripes with Xbox One?

The company that manufactures it, and the extortionate practises thereof.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Your biggest gripes are based on speculation. You have formed an opinion based not on things you know to be true, but on things you imagine to be true. Have you thought about that, @arkephonic.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

@sebbi11 said:

When making pontless fake topics like these, at least try to limit the troll level dumbass.

Lol. Good call. However it is interesting reading about all these gripes people have with a system they've yet to play.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i dont want to pay 100$ for kinect...

thats my only gripe.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

To be honest based on the value of the dollar now versus when original Xbox released I would say that the price is reasonable. Looks wise in my opinion the Xbox One looks like it's from the early 90's. My personal opinion is that if your aren't going to boost performance significantly than just continue developing for the current console since the difference in performance is very similar. What's the point in upgrading if it's not an upgrade. Basically we are purchasing a $500 console for a RAM upgrade and an older looking console. Why couldn't they just sell us an add on for the 360/PS4? Overall the system design is ok and the games look a little better so we will just have to see.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I don't really have any major dislikes about the xbone itself. I just don't fancy Microsoft anymore, they really need to get their shit together imo. I don't want to give them anymore of my money until they change, or start appealing to me. This is coming from a guy that was once a fan of Big Brother

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It is a Microsoft console, it says all...

Playstation is the best way to experience console-gaming...

Oh and i have not forget what MS tried to do with Xbone180

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

@arkephonic: I love xbo but I think they should of went with a better hw design. Should be a 1080p console. 900p pisses me off and I do think we will see alot of 900p in the future. Sony has my purchase now and I might get multis on ps4. I hate the online ui with ps4 but it is a safe bet for 1080p and thats a huge selling point.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Not much exclusives that are targeted towards core gamer

Microsoft as a company no longer speaks positively to people about their values, which is more important than it seems. People I talked to who work at MS even admitted there are problems with their management structure. The actions they have done recently gave them a terrible image in front of the public. There was a TED talk about how consumers buy what a company thinks and not what they do, and it is the values of companies that paints the image which the public react to. Like say Apple does so much to let people know they believe in innovative products, that's why they made the iphone and ipad etc. Most of the things microsoft has done recently only gives themselves the image of wanting people's money.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

I dont have a problem with the XBone i have a problem with how microsoft supports games - look at this gen - after 2010 the support from MS has been horrible. And what little games the Xbox got were just rehashes of the same old milked franchise. The 360 didnt have a AAAE after 2006 that wasnt gears halo or forza.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
  • I don't want Kinect
  • I want Halo
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#31  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@arkephonic said:
@cainetao11 said:

Why would it be more expensive if it were less powerful?

Uhm, maybe because it comes with a camera bundled in? And everyone here acts like the difference is on the level of Wii to PS3.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

I actually don't have any personal gripes against xbone

I just think it's overpriced, that's all

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

TC, have you ever tried going outside? You really should try it sometime.

Your hatred for MS seems a bit unhealthy, and it'll do you some good to get some fresh air.

Razor_defiace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Razor_defiace
Member since 2004 • 1618 Posts

I don't like puke green boxes...

j/k I don't like the forced inclusion of kinect. Kinect is just a dumb gimmick like the eyetoy in my opinion.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Underpowered, Kinect, price , looking back on how MS treated the 360 the last two years, anti consumer shit they tried to force on us but had to let go .

Add it all up and there's my reason to go for the PS4 next gen .

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

kinect is really the only downside for me right now

So you don't care that the console is underpowered and costs more than the competition who has a superior product hardware wise?

Do you also not care that MS wanted to bring DRM to the gaming industry?

Are you also not worried that MS would leave the Xbone without support when a successor is released?

Are you not worried about the possible privacy issues?

Aren't you worried that Xbone is focused around kinect and thus casual gamers?

Are you not worried that it will be Halo/gears/forza all gen long again, without any good new IP's?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Asid from the high price nothing really.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

£430.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Nothing. It's a electronic device with no feelings. I will own an XBOX one, and a PS4, and Wii U.

The same way I owned all the previous gen consoles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

That Kinect(lol) is not an option and is being shoved down your throat.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

ps4 just have more variety of exclusives, although I like the feel of the xboxs controller

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

$500

paid online

lack of exclusives

no trust in Microsoft at all

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

The fact that it's been an utter clusterfuck. Sure it'll end up fine though.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

How anti-consumer the console was designed to be, and how it could still potentially be again

I'm not paying more for a weaker console

No backwards compatibility for XBLA games

I don't want to use kinect

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Price performance ratio. I can't upgrade hdd. The ps4 specs were the absolute bare minimum I wanted for this Gen and the xbone being even lower than that is disheartening. Xbone is worth 300 to me.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Under powered

Cost too much

Kinect

Those are my main reasons for avoiding the X1. Kinect is the single biggest issue though if I had to pick just one.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i'll probably get an xbox one in the future but for me.

ps4 is cheaper end of, they are the same in comparison there won't be much of a difference anyway there level playing fields so for me why am i paying more.

i love sony exclusives as much as i like the offering from microsoft there isn't much on offer first party for me to stump up the cash, yes they have a better line up with the 3 extra games, but in the long run i know i'm getting ripped off.

with there e3 rubbish and all that stuff backing it all up and then reversing it all i feel like i can't trust them as a company and i feel sony wants me to be passionate about games as they are, i feel sony are passionate and microsoft are just after the money. even tho both are after the money, i feel as a gamer sony is offering me a lot better deal in the long run than microsoft, it's like going into a shop and getting mobbed to buy something and pushed into it, while the other one is going listen this is the price were trying our best we will do the best we can and we will support you no matter what your choice, and the latter i feel is how sony is doing business and i like that

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Kinect, kinect, kinect, and the systems lack of performance. Not a chance i'd give microshaft $250 for a lame ass camera that even devs don't want to use. When the camera's value is equal to the consoles value you should know that there's a massive f*ck up going on, I won't support that with my wallet.

Once they drop the kinect (it's going to happen sooner or later) and get some games under their belt then I'll reconsider.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

I don't like how shady Microsoft has been with the system.

I don't like how it forces Kinect down my throat even though I have no interest in it.

I don't like how Kinect collects user's data so they can use it for advertisements

I don't like how I'm plagued with advertisements even though I pay $60 a year for the service.

I don't like how I'm forced to pay for video functions like Netflix.

I don't like paying more for a console that's weaker and more expensive than it's competition.

I don't particularly care for it's first-party games.

I don't like how the controller still uses AA batteries.

I can't upgrade the HDD.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's too high of a price for what it offers. The competition is more powerful and more focused. Microsoft is trying to diversify the audience and all signs point to them further monetizing their services they offer through advertising or direct microtransactions for every aspect of the console. There is also a lack of long-term games. They haven't announced many new IPs, their indie game support is a bit lack luster, third party rarely does exclusive games, and last generation they proved to not want to invest in their video game lineup. They aren't adapting to the free-to-play market either.

When you add up all of these things, the Xbox One doesn't seem like a good console for gamers. Microsoft's head isn't in the game. They are thinking more about how to make a lot of money rather than offer a good product. They take people's willingness to pay for XBL as a sign they can continue monitizeing. The amount of advertisements I saw on the Xbox 360 dashboard despite being an XBL subscriber myself was disheartening and was proof that Microsoft has moved away from providing a service and is now just trying to keep the profit margin high.

Long term prospects are weak. Weaker hardware, forced Kinect, a bloated OS, and in general Microsoft's company wide long-term prospects are kind of weak for the consumer.