• 189 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Weapon Durability: Yay or Nay (118 votes)

Yay 43%
Nay 57%

Breath of the Wild has made gamers think differently about weapon durability that's for sure. Some like it, others hate it. Up until now, there haven't been a lot of games that have made it a big topic in the gaming world. I think Zelda does it well for the most part. It makes you actually use different weapons, which is great. I do think that the weapons are a bit too weak, but they shouldn't be much more durable than that. Which side you do fall on, SW? Are you for it? Against it? Are there any games that do it better?

• 
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I liked it in Far Cry 2. When guns jam (or rust after a rain), time to tuck tail and run. ;)

Sword blades also rust and need repair in The Witcher 3. That was okay too.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

the bane of my existence

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Are you going for the world record of internet topics created. or is that just your thing?

On topic: It depends on the game. Weapon durability in Ninja Gaiden would be silly but in Zelda it seems right.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

i like how its implemented in zelda anyway. i havent run into a situation where i have run out of weapons and i have a couple of places marked where i can always pick up some decent stuff if im stuck.

its pretty good at ensuring that a lot of different weapons have a use and are used. plenty of games have a bagillion weapons but people just end up using 2-3 because they have no need to use another. in zelda you will need to change your weapon a lot and that, in turn, means a change in playstyle. fighting with a spear is different from fighting with a sword and spear. its also pretty cool throwing a badly damaged weapon at an enemy, grabbing their weapon, then continuing to knock the crap out of them.

i would perhaps have a basic bow and arrow (no damage just distract the enemy) and sword always available though. when i say basic i mean very low damage, can never be upgraded, will just about do in the starting area kind of basic. just there to ensure that:

1) you dont use valuable weapons getting things like ore

2) the player can work on any dungeon without having to worry about running out of arrows

though, as i say, i havent actually run into the scenario where i had to leave a dungeon due to a lack of equipment.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'm kind of neutral/inbetween when it comes to the durability system. DOn't really care for it, but it doesn;t really hamper the experience either.

I kind of wish the handled weapons like they handled armor in BotW, where there are different weapons for different situations/battles, and these weapons could be upgraded.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

One of the most stupid, annoying game mechanics ever. There aren't many game mechanics that will flat out guarantee I won't go anywhere near a game if they're included, but weapon durability is one of them.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

As always it depends on how it's implemented. Botw implemented it perfectly. But I rather take no durability system than a bad implemented one. In games liek Diable for example, it's just annoying. You have enough money to fix all your gear all the time, so it isn't much more than a time waster

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

It made Zelda a 7 at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It made Zelda a 7 at best.

Who knows, you might think its more than a 7 when you actually play it. Do you think you ever will ?

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

Fallout had it. So

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

All depends on the game for me. Think it works well in STALKER, and I've got no big issues with it in Zelda, altho wish the weapons weren't as fragility is they are. Skyrim I found it annoying.. But usually I'm not that fussed.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Annoying and stupid.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Are you trying to flood the board with pointless threads?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Depends entirely on how it is implemented in game. For the record, I like it in Souls, Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, and Zelda.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

As long as the weapon durability isn't tried to frame rate like in Dark Souls then yay.

It gives you something to think about from going in and swinging like a maniac hitting the walls. Saying that I absolutly hated the durability thing in the first Diablo where if an item broke it was fucked forever, you had to take your armour off during a fight just before it broke, too hardcore for me.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#16 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Most definitely nay. Always just a pointless mechanic that wastes your time.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Depends on the material.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I don't mind it but I wish it was contextualized in the world. Specifically with Zelda it would work well if Link had a curse that made weapons break, but to be honest I like the extra depth weapon degradation add to a game.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

A big nay on that one. I can tolerate it in games like the Witcher III, but I despise how it's done in Breath of the Wild. One of the reasons why I'm currently enjoying playing Nioh so much is because it doesn't have any of that durability crap.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

@Jshoelace: weapons broke in skyrim?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Hate it

Nay

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

Not all games can make a good use of it, but generally it's another variable for player to keep in mind making for a more nuanced gameplay.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I liked it in Far Cry 2.

One thing i miss in newer FC games.

In FC2 basically any scavenged weapon was dirty and worn-out, so if you wanted an AK-47 that wouldn't jam or break you had to buy one new.

In FC3 you just knife the first fucker you meet in that game and he drops a shiny indestructible AK-47 that you also can pick up in every safehouse for free if you somehow lose yours.

That's just boring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jshoelace said:

All depends on the game for me. Think it works well in STALKER, and I've got no big issues with it in Zelda, altho wish the weapons weren't as fragility is they are. Skyrim I found it annoying.. But usually I'm not that fussed.

I'm 100% certain weapons don't break in Skyrim, did you mean Oblivion?

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I tend not to prefer it.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jshoelace

@kingjazziephiz: thinking of a different game aparantly but I'm not sure what.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jshoelace said:

@kingjazziephiz: thinking of a different game aparantly but I'm not sure what.

Oblivion/Morrowind?

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jshoelace

@charizard1605: hmm maybe Oblivion then? I honestly can't remember ha. It used to come up saying the weapon was damaged but you could still use them, but they would be weak

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Nay. Weapon durability has never been good in any game ever

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Durability is fine so long as you have a sensible and balanced repair mechanism. The model employed by Souls games is my most preferred, though it does not punish you enough if you let a weapon break. Perma-destruction is too harsh if there is no sensible means by which to keep a weapon in proper form.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

It's freaking annoying and does nothing for a game. I celebrated with balloons and confetti when it was removed from Nioh.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The only ones that will say "Yay" are the ones damage controlling the abysmal mechanic from BotW. That's a fact.

@nethernova said:

It's freaking annoying and does nothing for a game. I celebrated with balloons and confetti when it was removed from Nioh.

Also this. When it was removed, the whole community was praising TeamNinja. Why? Because its one of the dumbest mechanics in video games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69474 Posts

If my weapons suffers durability the same should happen with enemies. Games has yet to move away from the infinite resource enemies from unbreakable weapons to unlimited ammo. BOTW is an example of poor and generic implementation. Its seems like people are forgiving it purely because its Zelda.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

For every freakin' broken weapon, you get like 3 new ones. Smh Gimme a damn break.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pedro

@m_machine024 said:

For every freakin' broken weapon, you get like 3 new ones. Smh Gimme a damn break.

I think we had too many of those. BTW which enemies drop 3 weapons at a time?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@metalslimenite said:
@silversix_ said:

The only ones that will say "Yay" are the ones damage controlling the abysmal mechanic from BotW. That's a fact.

Also this. When it was removed, the whole community was praising TeamNinja. Why? Because its one of the dumbest mechanics in video games.

I'd be willing to bet the farm that you haven't played BotW, and are talking out of your rear end.

I have and the breaking of weapons adds nothing but tedium to the game in addition to removing the all anticipation of receiving any weapons because the shit it going to break on your next encounter.

Hit, hit , hit, shatter, switch to a new weapon rinse repeat as necessary.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Me no like it. The only game I've played has weapon degradation was FC2, although I liked the game a lot,the weapon degradation was annoying.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@metalslimenite said:
@Pedro said:

I have and the breaking of weapons adds nothing but tedium to the game in addition to removing the all anticipation of receiving any weapons because the shit it going to break on your next encounter.

Hit, hit , hit, shatter, switch to a new weapon rinse repeat as necessary.

Every weapon is different. Getting royal claymores beats holding on to a soldier's sword, and finding a flame blade is better than holding on to a lizards two prong boomerang. Then finding ice weapons or a strong spear beats holding on to something else, then finding a lightning blade or a guardian super axe etc.

They all control and function differently, and it's fun to gather koroks and expand your inventory slots and plan for a certain battle with certain weapons.

Sorry, but it totally beats going through a game with simple and minor stat upgrades from traditional RPGs.

You do realize that none of the features or benefits you have mentioned has anything to do with durability. Those features can and will still exist without the stupid durability mechanic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Breath of the Wild's open endedness is facilitated by the weapon durability. Given the fact that the designers have created the world such that you can go literally anywhere, any time, without the durability mechanic, it would have been all too possible to get an end game weapon near the beginning of the game and then cheese your way through the rest of the game with a broken difficulty and progression curve. Breaking weapons is literally the only way BotW could have existed the way it does, outside of hard level caps, which the game does not have.

You can argue you don't like the mechanic, and that's fine, but to pretend that the mechanic adds nothing to a game that is designed centrally around it betrays ignorance.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

@metalslimenite said:
@Pedro said:

You do realize that none of the features or benefits you have mentioned has anything to do with durability. Those features can and will still exist without the stupid durability mechanic.

Yes it does, because the point is you don't hold unnatural attachments to them because of the great variety. Use them up and move on to something new and better.

Firstly you can have an attachment to any weapon even with a durability mechanism. Gamers would hold on to weapons that are best suited for specific situations as you mentioned in your previous post. The fact is that durability is not needed for variety. Forcing the player to plough through weapons for the sake of "variety" is a broken approach. If you want players to play with a variety of weapons you make specific weapons more effective against certain enemies. None of this needs durability. Durability, especially without a repair system is just tedious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@charizard1605 said:

Breath of the Wild's open endedness is facilitated by the weapon durability. Given the fact that the designers have created the world such that you can go literally anywhere, any time, without the durability mechanic, it would have been all too possible to get an end game weapon near the beginning of the game and then cheese your way through the rest of the game with a broken difficulty and progression curve. Breaking weapons is literally the only way BotW could have existed the way it does, outside of hard level caps, which the game does not have.

You can argue you don't like the mechanic, and that's fine, but to pretend that the mechanic adds nothing to a game that is designed centrally around it betrays ignorance.

Please stop spewing nonsense. To make a claim that the durability is the "only" way to prevent cheesing through the game is factually untrue. In fact, in order to cheese through the game one must rely on former experience with the game or someone else's. You are trying to argue that the entire purpose of durability was to prevent gamers from finding the most powerful weapon and using that weapon to dominate. If that's the case then all of the other mechanics with the weapons in the game are garbage because according to you all you need in this game is the most powerful weapon and the game is practically done. You know as well as I that that is nonsense.

Durability certainly adds to the game, it adds tedium and routinely breaks the pacing during combat. One can argue that they took the lazy route for balancing the game. Instead of actively spending the time to gate weapon availability in relation to enemies and location they just went for "let make the weapons break".

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

Yes because it makes you use other weapons as well but in Zelda is too annoying because there are times you find yourself with no weapons and those times are too often than it should be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pedro said:
@charizard1605 said:

Durability certainly adds to the game, it adds tedium and routinely breaks the pacing during combat. One can argue that they took the lazy route for balancing the game. Instead of actively spending the time to gate weapon availability in relation to enemies and location they just went for "let make the weapons break".

The crux of your argument is 'I don't like durability, so it is worthless.' When one tries to demonstrate why it is not worthless, they are 'spewing nonsense.' You don't want to have a discussion, you want to, much like so many others on this board, say your piece and be done with it.

How would they have gated weapon in a game where the entire point is for you to be able to go wherever you want, whenever you want, without any restrictions? They chose to make a game with a full open ended nature- they could have gated progression in two ways meaningfully, hard level caps, which they chose not to go with, or durability, which they did. That's all there is to it. You don't like it, which is fine, but please stop pretending your dislike holds even a semblance of assessment of an objective value assessment of the game or its mechanics.

'You are trying to argue that the entire purpose of durability was to prevent gamers from finding the most powerful weapon and using that weapon to dominate. If that's the case then all of the other mechanics with the weapons in the game are garbage because according to you all you need in this game is the most powerful weapon and the game is practically done.'

Generally speaking, this is how games, and especially RPGs, work- if you become too powerful, then the entire game is trivialized, which is why high level loot, high EXP and level gains/etc. are reserved for the end game. I don't see what would be so remarkable or special about Zelda in this case.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Was weapon durability something that players had to deal with while equiping their heroes in some Fire Emblem games? That is, weapons can be used a certain number of times before they break and had to be replaced.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@metalslimenite said:

That's your opinion, but I don't share it. Don't like it? Play something else. It may be tedious to you and worthless, but I appreciate it trying to be different. There's just so much in the game, and it's arguable if ten unbreakable weapons is better than 1000 different breakable ones. It's not for you to say either way.

Oh, and for you to say there's no repair system makes me question just how much time you put in to the game, because there is, in fact, a repair system for specific weapons.

You realize that this is a discussion/thread about weapon durability right? Trying to fall back on "your opinion" and "play something else" is a cop out. Your follow up statement is stupendously ridiculous. Its always up to the gamer to decide whether or not a mechanic was good or bad. To blatantly say that "It's not for you to say either way" is clearly indicating that you are incapable of dealing with criticism and that you are too emotionally involved with a game that you didn't make.

You cannot repair your weapons. They literally make you a new one and it applies to specific weapons. That is not weapon repair. Have played games that has a weapon repair system? Obviously not.

Outside of all of this deviation, your points with regards to the need for durability is unfounded. All of the benefits that you mentioned of the system can and has existed in many games without durability. The fact is that durability has nothing to do with the supposed benefits your are citing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#50 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Like any other mechanic it depends entirely on the game and how it is used.