Was last gen this slow early on?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

Seemed like there was a lot more hype and new ips but maybe I'm wrong. What games are you anticipating for the ps4 and xbone? It seems like just more of the same with better graphics and just a nicer console. Almost like upgrading your pc. Reminds me of the ps2 at first after the ps1 although the ps2 went on to be the best console ever probably. Been reading up on upcoming games in 2015 and beyond and there really is nothing announced.

At least I really like my ps4 and it does everything I want it to. Just waiting for the games. I kind of like the lack of hype though. Last gen was a bunch of nonsense.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

..this gen is starting pretty slow... for the PS4. Ports and indie titles seem to be 90% of the overall library. However this is "par for the course" for a Sony console. They've never really had Great lineups at launch.

The XBO on the other hand seems to be firing on all cylinders. We'll just see how long it lasts.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

Eh, last gen was slow as well. It took the 360 a year to get its first definitive next gen exclusive, Gears of War, and it took the PS3 a year and a half with MGS4.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

the ps3 launch was dreadfully slow.. I think it took like a good 2 years before getting a solid AAA game

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

360 had an excellent launch with Perfect Dark, Call Of Duty 2, Kameo, Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned (all great, most exclusive) and had Oblivion inside a few months, with Gears incoming too.

Wii had a good launch with Wii Sports and Zelda and some great games that first year, Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and some others.

PS3 had a very bad first year with only Uncharted really worth getting imo.

I think 360 had a better launch then the current crop, Wii about the same, and PS3 was worse.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By locopatho

@OhSnapitz said:

..this gen is starting pretty slow... for the PS4. Ports and indie titles seem to be 90% of the overall library. However this is "par for the course" for a Sony console. They've never really had Great lineups at launch.

The XBO on the other hand seems to be firing on all cylinders. We'll just see how long it lasts.

Is this based on Forza and nothing else?

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34

AT least I didn't get an xbone

But I'm basically playing madden 25 and nba 2k. Played killzone for a bit and had a lot of fun but kind of worn out on it. Spend the last weekend playing through dead nation. Other than that haven't found a whole lot to play. I kind of like it that way though. I don't see any games on the horizon tha tare telling me I must have this either. I am still playing AC2 on xbox 360. May get AC IV when i'm done with it. mlb the show. Murdered soul suspect kind of interests me but that's on older consoles. Not a huge infamous fan. Destiny should be good I guess. The order looks cool but nothing is blowing my mind.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

i dont understand why early adopters are bit%hing so much, u all seen the game schedule m$/sony had for the next year or so before the launch so why are u complaining about the lack of games? u knew what u were buying into which is why i decided to wait until ps4 has a few games (uncharted/destiny/the order) which i am interested in before buying it. maybe some of those complaining should have made a more informed decision before purchase so they wouldnt have to complain

the biggest games usually release 1 year after console launches, just like last gen and the gen before that.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@DarthBilf said:

Eh, last gen was slow as well. It took the 360 a year to get its first definitive next gen exclusive, Gears of War, and it took the PS3 a year and a half with MGS4.

BS, mass effect was released as an exclusive in 2005... king kong was released when the x360 got released , the graphical difference was phenomenal. Of course, then a next gen console was really a next gen console, not this weak sauce xboxone & ps4

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

games take time to develop and money and not all devs has a budget to port games to all the systems nor do publishers want to put their game on a system that has a low number of possible buyers

the hype last time around was mostly from HD in my opinion because the world was moving from garbage tube t.vs to hdtvs and was a major leap ahead

announcing a game TOO early can kill a game because the hype level can go up but if you wait too long and not keep teasing people they will lose interest and it's gone

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Actually it was much much slower. But it was also well timed. This gen is way too early

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

So far this gen, there are barely any games truly exclusive to next gen platforms. Almost every single game is multiplat with PS3/360/Ps4/XB1 - with only a few exceptions exclusive to each platform. Hell, even Xbox 1 killer app is multiplatform with 360/PC.

This happened a little bit last gen as well (Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2/3, Just Cause (360), Tomb Raider(360), Burnout (360) - but so far it's happening way more this gen, and there are fewer truly "next gen" games to start out with. I think over the course of the next year or two, this stuff will go away as we get more "next gen" multiplats that are NOT on PS3/360, and at E3 we should get an avalanche of console exclusives for holiday 2014 and early announces for 2015.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By commander
@Celtic_34 said:

Seemed like there was a lot more hype and new ips but maybe I'm wrong. What games are you anticipating for the ps4 and xbone? It seems like just more of the same with better graphics and just a nicer console. Almost like upgrading your pc. Reminds me of the ps2 at first after the ps1 although the ps2 went on to be the best console ever probably. Been reading up on upcoming games in 2015 and beyond and there really is nothing announced.

At least I really like my ps4 and it does everything I want it to. Just waiting for the games. I kind of like the lack of hype though. Last gen was a bunch of nonsense.

The start of last gen was pretty good, with games like fear, king kong, oblivion was already released in march 2006. That's the same time as now

This gen sucks balls and will continue to suck balls simply because the consoles are so weak

my 3 year old pc stomps the ps4 and i'm not a pc player only, i have an x360 & ps3 too. I could have bought a xboxone and/or ps4 too but honestly

Loading Video...

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Celtic_34

I don't think i'm bi%tching. It was more a question. I like it slow like this in ways. The hype of games is annoying to me in general. I lik ethe free stuff on ps plus and am just playing through stuff at my leisure. what I don't understand is why people can't just have a discussion without someone coming in the thread and biatching about people that aren't even saying what they think they are. I'm finding that reviewers don't know what they are talking about either usually. had a blast playing dead nation and madden 25 is also pretty good and got bad reviews. gta 5 gets 10's and isn't that good imo. I like the free games on psn. it reminds me of the old days in ways. simple fun games for free.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

One AAAE > No AAAE!

..but I guess I injected a little personal preference into the argument. I'd rather play KI than Knack.. I'd rather play F5 than NFSR. KZS is better than I thought it would be but still TitanFall looks beastly!.. and it's AAA.

DarthBilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarthBilf
Member since 2004 • 1357 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

BS, mass effect was released as an exclusive in 2005... king kong was released when the x360 got released , the graphical difference was phenomenal. Of course, then a next gen console was really a next gen console, not this weak sauce xboxone & ps4

What? Mass Effect was 2007. King Kong was neither an exclusive nor a good game.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Celtic_34

Also had fun with Don't Starve. I forgot that one. There just isn't the same hype.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I thought last gen had a decent start from 05 - 07. One reason why the 360 and Wii were so successful comapred to its predecessors was because they both had great starts (software wise).

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Yes but the launch titles were better and they held court until the ball started rolling.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

It wasn't terribly slow, though the PS3 had a rough start.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I think every system at launch blows, and I'm there every gen. People just don't notice as they were too young and create the same threads every new generation.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 commander

@DarthBilf said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

Whatever , oblivion was released in march 2006, we're march now too, this gen sucks balls

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

This gen is just like last gen. xbone already has some great games to play and the ps4 has nothing this year. time is a flat circle.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locopatho

@OhSnapitz said:

One AAAE > No AAAE!

..but I guess I injected a little personal preference into the argument. I'd rather play KI than Knack.. I'd rather play F5 than NFSR. KZS is better than I thought it would be but still TitanFall looks beastly!.. and it's AAA.

It's just that it's like Forza, KI vs Killzone, Resogun, with Titanfall and Infamous incoming. Seems dead even to me, with PS4 getting the edge on multiplats (more and better performance)

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By locopatho

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

Whatever , oblivion was released in march 2006, we're march now too, this gen sucks balls

And Titanfall is releasing this March, with Elder Scrolls Online, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Destiny, Metal Gear Solid V,the GODDAM BATMAN and many more incoming. Stop complaining, that's an amazing first year.

MisterXMedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MisterXMedia
Member since 2013 • 233 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

This gen is just like last gen. xbone already has some great games to play and the ps4 has nothing this year. time is a flat circle.

Mind telling me what those games "great games" are?

The only good games either console are multiplats.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 commander

@Celtic_34 said:

I don't think i'm bi%tching. It was more a question. I like it slow like this in ways. The hype of games is annoying to me in general. I lik ethe free stuff on ps plus and am just playing through stuff at my leisure. what I don't understand is why people can't just have a discussion without someone coming in the thread and biatching about people that aren't even saying what they think they are. I'm finding that reviewers don't know what they are talking about either usually. had a blast playing dead nation and madden 25 is also pretty good and got bad reviews. gta 5 gets 10's and isn't that good imo. I like the free games on psn. it reminds me of the old days in ways. simple fun games for free.

The fact is that this gen sucks balls and it will keep on sucking balls. The only exciting thing happening at this moment is dark souls II for the pc, since there's no version for the next gen consoles... Same with gta 5, no next gen version

No one cares about next gen, they made the consoles way to weak. Most pc ports, or pc versions of multiplats before the ps4/x1 came out have higher recommended system requirements than the specs of these so called next gen consoles.

It's a shame so many people bought a ps4, but as a consolite i can understand, you were desperate, but you will get a hell more desperate later on this gen when you will only get rehashes of old games. This gen was way to successfull, the companies don't need to innovate everyone keeps on buying their crap anyway. Well it's already dropping (people aren't that stupid), a lot of games will fail simply because it will be more of the same BS

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commander

@locopatho said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

And Titanfall is releasing this March, with Elder Scrolls Online, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Destiny, Metal Gear Solid V,the GODDAM BATMAN and many more incoming. Stop complaining, that's an amazing first year.

I'm not complaining, I don't mind this one bit, I'm all excited about VR , which is the next big thing, of course you need a pc for it.

I just answered the tc's question and I'm being realistic,

- titanfall, is just a generic fps shooter with titans and no actual innovation, it's the same as perfect dark zero that got a 9 when the x360 got released , six months later , the game looked as ugly as an 85 year old alcoholic.

- The elders scrolls online matches the graphics of 2006 on higher resolution, and with that price tag, i don't think so. It's just one of those other run of the mill mmo's with a big name, no one cares, only the biggest fans will play it, because they're die hard fans, as a game it sucks.

- dragon age 3 and the witcher: these are titles from previous gen they just want to milk out some more, that's not innovation, that grabbing for your wallet, have fun with these next-gen games

- more batman? dear lord

oh year and metal gear solid V: I'm so excited, more of the same rehashed bs

This gen brings nothing new to the table, you're buying it? good for you , i hope you have fun

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By locopatho

@evildead6789 said:

@locopatho said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

I'm not complaining, I don't mind this one bit, I'm all excited about VR , which is the next big thing, of course you need a pc for it.

- titanfall, is just a generic fps shooter with titans and no actual innovation, it's the same as perfect dark zero that got a 9 when the x360 got released , six months later , the game looked as ugly as an 85 year old alcoholic.

- The elders scrolls online matches the graphics of 2006 on higher resolution, and with that price tag, i don't think so. It's just one of those other run of the mill mmo's with a big name, no one cares, only the biggest fans will play it, because they're die hard fans, as a game it sucks.

- dragon age 3 and the witcher: these are titles from previous gen they just want to milk out some more, that's not innovation, that grabbing for your wallet, have fun with these next-gen games

- more batman? dear lord

This gen brings nothing new to the table, you're buying it? good for you , i hope you have fun

Wow you're some miserable bastard. It always saddens me that some people convince themselves that EVERYTHING IS SHIT. Quit gaming if you are just gonna dismiss everything. "More Batman?" Yes more Batman, it was one of the best series last gen and it's gonna be cool to see what Rocksteady do on next gen. But I'm wasting my time typing this, you don't care.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

on 360 it was amazing. on ps3 i imagine it was equally shitty to current ps4/xbone

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By locopatho

And wait, Titanfall and all the other next gen games are shitty and generic but you were praising fucking King Kong, a shoddy PS2 port, as proof of how awesome last gen was? WTF?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By commander

@locopatho said:

@evildead6789 said:

@locopatho said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

@evildead6789 said:

@DarthBilf said:

- more batman? dear lord

Wow you're some miserable bastard. It always saddens me that some people convince themselves that EVERYTHING IS SHIT. Quit gaming if you are just gonna dismiss everything. "More Batman?" Yes more Batman, it was one of the best series last gen and it's gonna be cool to see what Rocksteady do on next gen. But I'm wasting my time typing this, you don't care.

Batman sucks, always sucks. Why you think i'm miserable, i'm hyped about dark souls II and the oculus rift, the virtuix omni.

But on the consoles, they're failing, and i pity people who play on consoles only because they're getting bs (in case you didn't notice not EVERYTHING is shit, only what's coming on the CONSOLES IS SHIT)

Nice for you batman, that you're having fun on your next gen console with 5 year old hardware.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@silversix_ said:

on 360 it was amazing. on ps3 i imagine it was equally shitty to current ps4/xbone

The 360 launch was pretty awesome for its time, the ps3's was pretty rough. That said, almost every console ever has big game droughts from December to March of the first year on the market. What people also fail to remember is how little launch lineups matter by the end of the first year. People haven't talked about Perfect Dark or Resistance for years... They certainly weren't worried about them when the first year of the console rolled around.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Ps3 launch was really slow compare to ps4, 360 was decent

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:

Lol, delusions of grandeur.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

the ps3 launch was dreadfully slow.. I think it took like a good 2 years before getting a solid AAA game

Um.... to it took more than that. It did get its AAAAE in the summer of 2008 (MGS4), but I think the first AAAE was Little Big Planet and Resistance 2 by the end of 2008

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

no, surely Killzone 4 can't be anywhere near as bad as Resistance Fall of Man was, so a smiley face sticker for Sony on that alone, plus about this time Sony would be releasing Motorstorm on PS3 and they're releasing Infamous instead on the PS4

and the Xbox has Dead Rising 3 and now Titanfall, I'd say they're doing better, Xbox had Dead Rising and Chromehounds, surely Titanfall will prove to be more popular

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#39 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@DarthBilf said:

True, but it did not have this amount of trouble with multiplats

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Its not that bad... unless you are a cow.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commander

@wolverine4262 said:

Its not that bad... unless you are a cow.

Loading Video...

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

It was worse.. This gen at least has multiplats. Last gen had nothing

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I'd be really sad if I were a cow right now. PS4 is a desolate wasteland when it comes to interesting exclusives out now, or on the horizon.

If you want to do some next-gen gaming your best bet right now would be a PC, 3DS, Wii U, or Xbox One.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts
@Couth_ said:

It was worse.. This gen at least has multiplats. Last gen had nothing

Not just worse. Far worse.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 commander

@treedoor said:

I'd be really sad if I were a cow right now. PS4 is a desolate wasteland when it comes to interesting exclusives out now, or on the horizon.

If you want to do some next-gen gaming your best bet right now would be a PC, 3DS, Wii U, or Xbox One.

I wouldn't say a wii u though, that's even worse

wolf503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 269

#46  Edited By wolf503
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

All generations have been pretty slow, although I think this current gen has been a little slower than previous but not by much. I think it might get a little slower with each new console generation, unless Sony, MS or Nintendo want to imform developers much earlier of new consoles they're planning. Part of the reason I cancelled my PS4 preorder was because after more and more monitoring, I noticed that majority of the games were crossgen and there were very few exclusives anyways. This years line up of current gen games is pretty damn good but there's very few announced right now. So it's probably best to wait till the end of the year to get a current gen console if you want a bigger library to play.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Slower. 2007 is when things really picked up. The Xbox 360 had Gears of War to start off but then entered a pretty nasty drought until 2007. Sony fumbled the launch of the PS3 pretty badly and it took them until 2008 to ramp up the exclusives. 2007 was the year where multiplats basically assumed dominance on gaming.

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

People are saying that there is nothing to play on ps4 then how am i playing my ps4?

Killzone ShadowFall also got some free maps and the updates since launch has made the multiplayer better.

http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/farsendor#games

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I facepalmed a few times reading through this.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

It was on the PS3, but the first year on the 360 wasn't too bad at all. There were some decent exclusives and some decent PC ports. It wasn't bad at all for a launch year, So far this gen has been dry. It's a better on the X1 though, but the PS4 will get it's games soon enough.

Stand out games for me was Test Drive Unlimited and CoD 2. COD 2 was a no bells and whistles port, but I was surprised at how enjoyable it was. There were others, but those were the two that stood out I think.