Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Was Fable always mid? (55 votes)

It's a premium exclusive (on PC as well) 36%
It's mid 45%
It's worse than mid 18%
No Caption Provided

Hello, was looking at the Fable reaction and it seems I'm not alone in my apathy towards this franchise.

It seems to be much like Sonys "Resistance" series, in that nobody seems to give a shit about it and it never reaches the pedigree of what a "hot" exclusive should be, namely a system seller.

Is this bias from someone who played them and decided they are bad, or in fact, reality?

Richard Ayoade is alright.

• 
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Yes! Like many of the highly acclaimed Xbox games that received a lot of praise during the 360 era, Fable is mid and has yet to level up beyond that. I place it in the same boat as the many highly praised mediocre JRPGs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Yeah. I really enjoyed them and all but were certainly mid games. Am very interested in seeing how this one from Playground Games turns out.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

Kinda of yeah.... But I think it depends on what aspect youre focused on... Gameplay? Yeah not the best action mechanics, but not bad either... Story? Same... Open world had charm and always had that potential to be next tier fantasy action, but I don't know that we've seen the franchise at peak potential.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yup. It's okay. Just okay.

It's only especially notable because Peter Molyneux hyped it to the Moon and back. That dude is a gifted salesman, I give him that.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3401 Posts

The original isn't great.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I enjoyed the original quite a bit, but that's not because the game was amazing, but because my standards at that time were low as hell. I still think that for its time it was a good game, but because it was way too short with barely any content, its like a 7/10 title from me. The sequels aren't even worth talking about because they weren't anywhere near as good for their time.

With fromsoft, Larian, Dragon Age Origins, dragon's dogma, etc, Fable is just mid tier at best, and certainly not a system seller like it once was. All the humor in it is FAR superior in BG3 and both Divinity titles.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

The first one was pretty great for its time and introduced a lot of original ideas. The sequels were pretty bad though!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

It's mid and always has been, but it had enough unique ideas to make it more memorable than your average mid game. It's like the prequel trilogy. It doesn't succeed at everything it's trying to do, but I can respect it's ambitions and appreciate what it's going for.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3025 Posts

Mid to low tier

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

The first one was, but the second one was quite good, in my view. The dog was a bit of an annoyance, though. Fable 2 also had a very predictable ending. With that said, being a saint and being the most evil person possible was fun. It gives you incentive to play through the game more than once.

Overall I would say that it's a good series. Definitely not on par with Dragon Age: Origins, Pokemon X/Y or Oblivion, though.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8854 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Fable 1 fell short. Fable 2 was AAA, Fable 3 was better than 2 but worse than 2.

So...

Meh

Awesomeness

Meh, but less meh than 1

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6041 Posts

I enjoyed the games and will buy the newest one unless Playground somehow screw it up.

Oh, and most of you people are adults (I presume) why are you using teenager language such as mid 🤮

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

I enjoyed the games and will buy the newest one unless Playground somehow screw it up.

Oh, and most of you people are adults (I presume) why are you using teenager language such as mid 🤮

The game has been in development hell for like five years minimum, and you think the chances of them screwing up is low? Its a game made for gamepass in mind, you should already know how these games turn out.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Idk, but I feel like MS is rushing this one, and I don’t get why the FH developer is doing it.

MS now has developers who have more experience in the genre.

If Playground Games wants to try something else, I think there are other genres to try first.

Or at least try out an AA non branded RPG to warm up on first. I think this is a mistake.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Idk, but I feel like MS is rushing this one, and I don’t get why the FH developer is doing it.

MS now has developers who have more experience in the genre.

If Playground Games wants to try something else, I think there are other genres to try first.

Or at least try out an AA non branded RPG to warm up on first. I think this is a mistake.

Of course its a mistake, its made by Microsoft, they have been failing at everything for well over a decade.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Personally I would say that Fable was a bit below mid for me, but I still enjoyed them enough, and look forward to the next installment.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

The game has been in development hell for like five years minimum, and you think the chances of them screwing up is low? Its a game made for gamepass in mind, you should already know how these games turn out.

What does that even mean, without trolling explain what made with GP in mind means.

The floors all yours wenzen.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Yeah, average stuff.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11092 Posts

Yeah. The better game was 2. Peter Molyneux over-promised on the first one, and that let people down. 2 was maybe closer to what was promised, and was okay. Then three came and was meh as hell. I don't know what Playground has in store for the new one, but I don't know if I can get excited for a new installment by car game devs.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts
@last_lap said:

just geezers trying to feel young, nothing wrong with that.

your post is also mid.

Also, this game is going to be mind blowingly amazing, guaranteed.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Yes, absolutely.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

@last_lap: Puke emojis are so cringe. 🙂

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@last_lap said:

just geezers trying to feel young, nothing wrong with that.

your post is also mid.

Also, this game is going to be mind blowingly amazing, guaranteed.

Your post is dumb as 💩

I'm one of if not the biggest Playground Games fan here, but they are well skilled in racing games (they are the best in the racing genre) so I have some legitimate concerns about Fable's gameplay/combat, but they are an amazing team so I will be giving them the benefit of the doubt on the game and believe they can do the series justice. So, until we see some more of the game they've earned the benefit of the doubt over this game.

You on the other hand shill EVERYTHING MS does, which means you have no conviction. You saying it will be mind-blowing amazing guaranteed is as believable as Phil Spencer saying he still believes in physical media.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

Overall it was mid. Never understood how the series still relevant and lems anticipate new entries. Only Fable 2 that I enjoyed the rest was pretty average. Fable 3 made me realize having a menu is actually good and I never complained about menus in most games since then.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@last_lap: “ Oh, and most of you people are adults (I presume) why are you using teenager language such as mid 🤮”

🤣 Glad I’m not the only one who thought this.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Last_Lap

@judaspete said:

@last_lap: Puke emojis are so cringe. 🙂

Emoji's in general are cringe, is that all you took form my comment 🤮🤮🤮

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3223 Posts

I never played any of the Fable games so I don't know if they were ever good or bad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

@AcidTango said:

I never played any of the Fable games so I don't know if they were ever good or bad.

Pretty mid.

Play Divinity instead (presumably you are)

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

Fable 1 and 3 were definitely mid.

Fable 2 was a great game that could've been so much more.

Its like they had the bones of a British fantasy RPG where choices matter, only to be held back by Peter Molneux's weird development habits.

A magic box? Seriously?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

What does that even mean, without trolling explain what made with GP in mind means.

I thought you already knew? Very weird.

A game that is made for gamepass in mind, is a game that is not guaranteed to even recoup the cost of development. So games launch in a half assed state, even when compared to its previous titles. I don't think you need me to mention the likes of Forza, Infinite, Redfall, Starfield, etc. Why do you think Hellblade2 is $50 instead of a standard price? These are unfinished titles with very little effort put into them, and this is the state of the Made For Gamepass In Mind, which, just like straight-to-dvd movie, its shit. Low budget titles aren't suffering from this, and HiFi Rush is a good example, but if we're talking about big AA and especially AAA titles, i mean, they're royally f*cked to say the least, and its not about to change any time soon.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@last_lap: well as I said, I'm not a huge fan of these rpg games, but I think we're going to see some unique ideas from pg, who were only doing racing games up to this point. I thought the open world they built in horizons was great and probably going to be used in some form in fable.

What can i say, MS just keeps blasting it out of the park and keep pushing me to buy their products. I recently purchased another windows, and going to resubscribe to office, not to mention ganepass. Also I dont always agree with everything MS does, but they keep pushing out bangers and masterpiece titles, most importantly providing value for the gamers. Saint Phil for the gamers, hes the man that will lead is to the promised land.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1345 Posts

Mediocre? Yes I would say it is.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Last_Lap
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

A game that is made for gamepass in mind, is a game that is not guaranteed to even recoup the cost of development. So games launch in a half assed state, even when compared to its previous titles. I don't think you need me to mention the likes of Forza, Infinite, Redfall, Starfield, etc. Why do you think Hellblade2 is $50 instead of a standard price? These are unfinished titles with very little effort put into them, and this is the state of the Made For Gamepass In Mind, which, just like straight-to-dvd movie, its shit. Low budget titles aren't suffering from this, and HiFi Rush is a good example, but if we're talking about big AA and especially AAA titles, i mean, they're royally f*cked to say the least, and its not about to change any time soon.

Are you a child? serious question.

So about 90% of the gaming industry make Gamepass games because they don't know if they'll recoup their cost of the game, what a dumbarse way of thinking.

Secondly, the first Hellbalde released at the same price as the second game is, there goes that theory.

As for half arsed state, could you name a game that was released in a half arsed state compared to its previous titles.

Yes, best we don't mention Halo, Forza Horizon, Starfield etc because they don't fit your stupid narrative.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Last_Lap

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@last_lap: well as I said, I'm not a huge fan of these rpg games, but I think we're going to see some unique ideas from pg, who were only doing racing games up to this point. I thought the open world they built in horizons was great and probably going to be used in some form in fable.

What can i say, MS just keeps blasting it out of the park and keep pushing me to buy their products. I recently purchased another windows, and going to resubscribe to office, not to mention ganepass. Also I dont always agree with everything MS does, but they keep pushing out bangers and masterpiece titles, most importantly providing value for the gamers. Saint Phil for the gamers, hes the man that will lead is to the promised land.

You just proved my point, you don't care for these games and yet have to shill it anyway, I think you've said enough already for anyone not to take your opinion seriously.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I thought Fable 2 was above average, but at same time memorable as a failure of sorts mostly because Peter Molyneux leading up to its release promised a potential it never achieved with its online features, likely because he let his ambition get ahead of what they could pull of in its development. Somewhat comparable perhaps to Sean Murray's ambition for No Man's Sky he never achieved upon its release, though not to same degree.

The first Fable I really liked from a mechanics standpoint, but I feel its marketing focused on player choice and choosing one's own path for good or evil or something in between. Thought I felt there was never any major choices of consequence throughout the game and this marketing angle really came down to an end of game choice which felt like a bait and switch when I first played it. Probably more comparable itself to Deus Ex Human Revolution in that regard, as it was marketed as a game of choice, like choosing between preserving your humanity or embracing cybernetic augmentation. Again, a bait and switch because there too it came to an end of game choice.

Never did play Fable 3. Anyhow, for their times, the first two were above average. I don't imagine these are games that aged well though so no doubt now going back to them they'd definitely feel mid quality at best.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Last_Lap

@lamprey263 said:

I thought Fable 2 was above average, but at same time memorable as a failure of sorts mostly because Peter Molyneux leading up to its release promised a potential it never achieved with its online features, likely because he let his ambition get ahead of what they could pull of in its development. Somewhat comparable perhaps to Sean Murray's ambition for No Man's Sky he never achieved upon its release, though not to same degree.

The first Fable I really liked from a mechanics standpoint, but I feel its marketing focused on player choice and choosing one's own path for good or evil or something in between. Thought I felt there was never any major choices of consequence throughout the game and this marketing angle really came down to an end of game choice which felt like a bait and switch when I first played it. Probably more comparable itself to Deus Ex Human Revolution in that regard, as it was marketed as a game of choice, like choosing between preserving your humanity or embracing cybernetic augmentation. Again, a bait and switch because there too it came to an end of game choice.

Never did play Fable 3. Anyhow, for their times, the first two were above average. I don't imagine these are games that aged well though so no doubt now going back to them they'd definitely feel mid quality at best.

I don't get this analogy when people say this. Some of my favourite games are from the 90's and I still play them, they still play great and are timeless, so when people say they didn't age well is kinda weird.

Especially the Fable games where you use mostly the same type of control scheme as most open world games these days.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

So about 90% of the gaming industry make Gamepass games because they don't know if they'll recoup their cost of the game, what a dumbarse way of thinking.

Secondly, the first Hellbalde released at the same price as the second game is, there goes that theory.

As for half arsed state, could you name a game that was released in a half arsed state compared to its previous titles.

Yes, best we don't mention Halo, Forza Horizon, Starfield etc because they don't fit your stupid narrative.

Did i struck a nerve, or something?

Do you want me to remind you every single time a new AA/AAA MS title comes out, to let you know how heavily flawed and featureless every title is because its made for gamepass? I've been reminding Dabear for quite some time now, and i don't mind doing it to you as well. Sooner or later you will learn, and that might push you to the Blue side, the right side to be on.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:

Do you want me to remind you every single time a new AA/AAA MS title comes out, to let you know how heavily flawed and featureless every title is because its made for gamepass? I've been reminding Dabear for quite some time now, and i don't mind doing it to you as well. Sooner or later you will learn, and that might push you to the Blue side, the right side to be on.

You couldn't strike a nerve, the reason I asked is because your narrative is childlike.

And I busted your narrative with facts, that's why your response doesn't try to negate ANYTHING I said.

The simple fact is that there is no game made with Gamepass in mind, that's just cows and their fallacies.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

You couldn't strike a nerve, the reason I asked is because your narrative is childlike.

And I busted your narrative with facts, that's why your response doesn't try to negate ANYTHING I said.

The simple fact is that there is no game made with Gamepass in mind, that's just cows and their fallacies.

Its so childlike that even you, of all the people, have clearly seen what the lastest Forza is. And lets not pretend like they didn't have time, this has been the forza game with the longest dev time ever, and you still got a pathetic excuse of a video game that was forgotten within 48h, something i've personally never seen before when its Forza related.

Expect the same with avowed, which, if you've seen the latest gameplay video, shit looked like a phone game. This is what you get when your games are built for a renting service that allows the customer to play the whole thing for $1.🤷‍♂️And don't worry, you will learn this the hard way.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:

Its so childlike that even you, of all the people, have clearly seen what the lastest Forza is. And lets not pretend like they didn't have time, this has been the forza game with the longest dev time ever, and you still got a pathetic excuse of a video game that was forgotten within 48h, something i've personally never seen before when its Forza related.

Expect the same with avowed, which, if you've seen the latest gameplay video, shit looked like a phone game. This is what you get when your games are built for a renting service that allows the customer to play the whole thing for $1.🤷‍♂️And don't worry, you will learn this the hard way.

Forza Motorsport released with over 500 cars, that's at least a 100 more than GT7 did, so I guess GT7 was made with PS+ in mind then. Forza had over 800 upgrades at release and over 20 tracks built from the ground up, but because it had some bad bugs it's made with Gamepass in mind in your mind.

So, I guess that because Spiderman 2 had a ton of bugs and was forgotten within a week it too was made with PS+ in mind, see dumb logic is dumb, but it is your forte.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Forza Motorsport released with over 500 cars, that's at least a 100 more than GT7 did, so I guess GT7 was made with PS+ in mind then. Forza had over 800 upgrades at release and over 20 tracks built from the ground up, but because it had some bad bugs it's made with Gamepass in mind in your mind.

So, I guess that because Spiderman 2 had a ton of bugs and was forgotten within a week it too was made with PS+ in mind, see dumb logic is dumb, but it is your forte.

Not only are cars looking inferior to GT7's, why do you try to pretend like the amount of cars is what matters most in a racing title? Its the damn feautures that it lacks, and they didn't even deliver on the visuals that were primised. Its very clear to every non fanboy that the standards of a game that is built for gamepass, are noticeably lower than a full priced title.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Where did I say that having more cars is what matters most? oh that's right I didn't, that's just your poor reading comprehension. I will say that more cars are better than less to a racing game fan, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

Next...

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2135 Posts

2>1>3

Played 1 on PC only so it was the Lost Chapters version. I'd guess that the original xbox release was pretty disappointing for how short it was without the expansion.

2 was great, 3 was meh. Either way, it's a bummer than MS is not doing a Series/PC remaster release of the trilogy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Where did I say that having more cars is what matters most? oh that's right I didn't, that's just your poor reading comprehension. I will say that more cars are better than less to a racing game fan, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

Next...

You mentioned cars as your first point lmao, it must be so important to you. I don't even play racing games, and even i know that the amount of cars is not important. You really are a fake racing fan enjoyer. Try Cricket games instead.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3401 Posts

@rmpumper: Do you think 2 holds up? I only played 1 a couple of years ago and it's definitely too dated imo. Some cool ideas but also a lot of awkward ones. Definitely not a timeless classic. Seem like 2 has more fans.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Next...

You mentioned cars as your first point lmao, it must be so important to you. I don't even play racing games, and even i know that the amount of cars is not important. You really are a fake racing fan enjoyer. Try Cricket games instead.

Like I said next...

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3056 Posts

I dunno. I watched my roommate play either 1 or 2 a couple years ago, and it intrigued me enough to want to play some day.

I also watched him play HZD, and I that was hard to even witness. That's mid.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1248 Posts

Opinions and all that jazz and in mine they were good,not on the level of an elder scrolls,fallout or witcher.

If they keep the humour,get some varied story driven quests along with the quirky ones and make the Great looking world we know its gonna be interesting then it'll be a banger..Obviously it will get hate from mugs who can't play because of brand loyalty but hey ho.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hardwenzen
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Next...

Like I said next...

You got rolled, there's no next. Today, you've learned the Straight To Gamepass strategy from MS. Now you're perfectly aware of the low effort that is being put into all their titles. And let me remind you, Hellblade 2 will be the next title to showcase this to perfection.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Next...

Like I said next...

You got rolled, there's no next. Today, you've learned the Straight To Gamepass strategy from MS. Now you're perfectly aware of the low effort that is being put into all their titles. And let me remind you, Hellblade 2 will be the next title to showcase this to perfection.

Nah you telling a racing game fan what they want in a racing game, well you rolled yourself, next...