Was Crysis 2 really that bad?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Crysis is probably one of my favorite FPS's of all time. I loved the semi-open level design, the AI, the nanosuit, and the variety of ways to go about approaching missions. Just a really great open-ended structure not is not diluted in the way that most open-world games these days are.

Crysis 2 completely reversed that by adding in more linear levels, a story, taking you out of the jungle and into the city, and so forth. While I don't hate Crysis 2, I definitely consider it a downgrade. I think they reduced it down to appeal to more people; Crytek had "hit it big" so to speak, and their head got a little big for their shoulders a little too fast. So while Crysis was more of a shooter-sim game, Crysis 2 was more of a shooter-arcade game, if that makes any sense. I did like the story, though, about how the suit sort of absorbed Prophet and then this anonymous marine put the suit on and over time Prophet and suit sort of took him over...kind of a morally grey area, I mean, who is Prophet to do that? But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Crysis 3 was a huge improvement over Crysis 2, though, but not as good as Crysis 1.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Vatusus said:
@Pedro said:

Nope. It was more streamline thats it. The hate really stemmed from it being available on consoles so PC gamers as usual lost their minds and threw a tantrum.

Yup, basically this is correct. The game was mostly hated because it was on consoles, point. PC gamers blamed consoles for it being more streamlined because "the console hardware couldnt handle Crysis "openess"... until Crysis 1 was made available on consoles without much sacrifice proving that the Crysis "openess" could have been done on consoles so the decision for Crysis 2 being more streamlined was up to the devs and not the consoles hardware. PC gamers were proven to be full of sh*t. Even when Crysis 1 was anounced for consoles they threw another tantrum... they tried to divert the fact Crysis 1 was on PS3/X360 by saying it "was not the same game" wich is a load of crap. Other than the graphics, performance and a slight user interface change (and I believe some level towards the end of the game that was streamlined sh*t anyway), they're exactly the same game. Crysis 1 "openess" was fully integrated on last gen consoles. I know, cause I actually played both:

and here

Not that I share that opinion [any more] of Crysis 2 being "consolized" and therefore of lower quality to cater to the lowest-common denominator, but I would like to see 10 console gamers and 10 PC gamers play Crysis 1 and compare their play styles; I wonder if one group would just turn on armor mode and blast through the game, or if one group would actually take full advantage of the suit, terrain, weapon and equipment variety, and so forth. Or maybe they would be a mixed bag. Probably the latter.

With that said, I don't think when PC gamers complain about a game being of reduced quality for consoles they are inherently talking about the technical features, I think they are talking about the more intangible aspects such as gameplay, how the game feels in their hands, etc.. There were some definite reductions in quality in those respects in Crysis 2.

So the question is: how well did Crysis 1 sell on console? Maybe not well? Maybe that is why they changed the formula for Crysis 2.

And don't get me wrong, you're always going to have some twerps complaining about the visuals because that's just what they do. But whatever, any time you bring up Crysis and visuals it just gets reduced to "tech demo".

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

So the question is: how well did Crysis 1 sell on console? Maybe not well? Maybe that is why they changed the formula for Crysis 2.

Uh, I think Crysis 2 came first before Crysis was released for consoles. ;)

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#54 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@Pedro said:

Nope. It was more streamline thats it. The hate really stemmed from it being available on consoles so PC gamers as usual lost their minds and threw a tantrum.

without much sacrifice

Looks like garbage at up to 30

This was just another PC first franchise that turned to shit in order to pander to consoles.

They got what they deserved in the end.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 jun_aka_pekto
@ghosts4ever said:

In metro, you explore the enviroment, find your ways, the atmosphere, increadible story, shooting plus stealth, gas mask system outside of metro tunnels. it was one of the most refreshing game of last generation.

now in this gen. what they are doing is evolve the franchise. they are opening up level design to make it feel like Stalker.

In Far cry 4, you just travel from point A to point B, watch a long and unskippable cutscene, complete a mission, repeat the cycle again.

In Far Cry 4, once I'm in the main village, I can explore half the game world before going from point A to point B, getting my weaponry and equipment states upgraded enough so that I'm not a sitting duck.

Perhaps, all you played was the very beginning (tutorial level) where you learned the keystrokes and mouse controls for playing the game. That's where you walked from point A to point B.

The dumb cutscenes were a genuine gripe of mine as well. But, I have the luxury of immersing myself in the whole game world (Reset Outpost mode). So, no need to go through the SP campaign again.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

The Crysis 2 world consists of urban settings. So, it cannot really be compared to the foliage-rich Crysis and Warhead. But, if we compare urban graphics from Crysis 2 and Crysis, I think Crysis 2 is more consistent. Crysis had some really yucky settings at the early levels.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#57 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Crysis 2 wasn't bad. I would say I enjoyed it. But didn't like the linear aspect of it. With respect to the graphics it was one of the best looking games from 2011 but certainly no where near the bar that the original Crysis 1 raised. Crysis 2 Certainly it wasn't as good as Crysis 1 or Crysis Warhead. I played Crysis 3 this year now that game was mediocre. No variety in the levels, stuck inside a dome with bland urban grassy environment. At least Crysis 2 had some variety in the levels.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#58  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Metro is a pretty good Half-Life game.

Fixed. :)

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59  Edited By Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I can sadly say I have never been so disappointed in a sequel ever. Crysis 1 got me back into pc gaming and i was so excited to play 2. I barely recognized it as the same series. Stop playing about 5 hrs in out of boredom and anger.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mrbojangles25

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Uh, I think Crysis 2 came first before Crysis was released for consoles. ;)

lol did it? Fair enough

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#61 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

Crysis 2 wasn't bad. I would say I enjoyed it. But didn't like the linear aspect of it. With respect to the graphics it was one of the best looking games from 2011 but certainly no where near the bar that the original Crysis 1 raised. Crysis 2 Certainly it wasn't as good as Crysis 1 or Crysis Warhead. I played Crysis 3 this year now that game was mediocre. No variety in the levels, stuck inside a dome with bland urban grassy environment. At least Crysis 2 had some variety in the levels.

Crysis 3 was so terrible that its only game in series that i never beat. it doesnot make any sense in crysis 3 where you play as prophet. didnot he died in crysis 2?

further more they open the level but its more bland. Crysis 3 is not only mediocre but its most forgattable experience ever. i barely remember what i played in crysis 3.

it makes crysis 2 feel like masterpiece.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

Not a bad game at all. It just wasn't the generational leap that Crysis was. Crysis 3 was what Crysis 2 should have been, but for many unfortunate reasons didn't do well. Still might be the best game graphically however. God damn, is it still stunning in game. No smoke and mirrors, just incredible detail and lighting.

Crysis 2 was the crowning achievement technologically on console. No game had its physics, graphics, and scale in one package. As a PC gamer I was actually impressed.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#64 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Yes.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

IMHO, I would say that Crysis 2 is a technical marvel for its time.

Sure, you can argue that it was dumbed down for consoles, but if you've an entry level GPU that's only just above the quality of Intel integrated graphics, you can see that they've been doing favours for PC too. (At the time, I had a "gaming" laptop running on a Mobility Radeon 5650, and it managed to hover around the high 30s to low 40s.

I think what we're missing from Crysis 1 is a PC version of the CryEngine 3 version seen on the PS3/360. The fact that PC Gamer Magazine listed a 2007 game as one of 2016's most hardware intense titles is worrying.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@ghosts4ever said:

Crysis 3 was so terrible that its only game in series that i never beat. it doesnot make any sense in crysis 3 where you play as prophet. didnot he died in crysis 2?

further more they open the level but its more bland. Crysis 3 is not only mediocre but its most forgattable experience ever. i barely remember what i played in crysis 3.

it makes crysis 2 feel like masterpiece.

I beat all four. Quite honestly, I thought Crysis 3 was better than Crysis 2. It's Crysis, Crysis 3, Warhead, and Crysis 2 in my order of preference.

I certainly liked the grassy areas and the use of Ceph weaponry.

It would have been nice to see a PC version of Crysis using CryEngine 3 (not the barren console version).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@Xtasy26 said:

I played Crysis 3 this year now that game was mediocre. No variety in the levels, stuck inside a dome with bland urban grassy environment. At least Crysis 2 had some variety in the levels.

As I recall, Crysis 3 had the shipyard/port, the grassy areas, the sewers, the night at the swamp, the flooded ruins of NYC, the Ceph tunnels, plus the rail sequence from the air. Crysis 2 had even less variety.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Other than the graphics, performance and a slight user interface change (and I believe some level towards the end of the game that was streamlined sh*t anyway), they're exactly the same game. Crysis 1 "openess" was fully integrated on last gen consoles. I know, cause I actually played both:

The performance was god awful on 360 and absolutely abysmal on PS3. If they had gone full open world the frame rate would have averaged the single digits. CD Projek Red openly admitted they dialed back the graphics of The Witcher 3 to make it run properly on console. You think a fully open world shooter with even better graphics than the original Crysis would have run properly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwD2ty2UfBM&t=16s

Here, during firefights the frame rate drops to the mid 10's lol. On both platforms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#69 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@Vatusus said:

Other than the graphics, performance and a slight user interface change (and I believe some level towards the end of the game that was streamlined sh*t anyway), they're exactly the same game. Crysis 1 "openess" was fully integrated on last gen consoles. I know, cause I actually played both:

The performance was god awful on 360 and absolutely abysmal on PS3. If they had gone full open world the frame rate would have averaged the single digits. CD Projek Red openly admitted they dialed back the graphics of The Witcher 3 to make it run properly on console. You think a fully open world shooter with even better graphics than the original Crysis would have run properly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwD2ty2UfBM&t=16s

Here, during firefights the frame rate drops to the mid 10's lol. On both platforms.

Crysis 1 run like sh*t on the vast majority of PCs when it came out. Thats still didnt stopped PC gamers from playing it at low performance. As I've proved I played Crysis 1 on PS3 on its highest difficulty. Probably some stutter here and there but never had any major problem with it. It played fine for the most part. My 2014 laptop still has problems runnning it cause the game was badly optimized, even on PC

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

I can sadly say I have never been so disappointed in a sequel ever. Crysis 1 got me back into pc gaming and i was so excited to play 2. I barely recognized it as the same series. Stop playing about 5 hrs in out of boredom and anger.

Lol, you were probably almost finished with the game by then. I think I beat Crysis 2 in like 8 hours. It was short as hell, and easy, too. Whereas Crysis I think I put in at least 15 hours or more just on the first playthrough; not counting subsequent playthroughs, which I did a few times.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Juub1990

@Vatusus: At least PC’s had the option of playing it by adjusting the settings to their liking.

Maybe your standards were lower back then but the PS3 version is awful. Frequently dips into the teens and it’s impossible to remain at or above 20fps during firefights. Ain’t exactly my idea of playable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Juub1990 said:

it’s impossible to remain at or above 20fps during firefights.

So, you saw a few framerate dips on a yt video and assume all firefights were like that...

k, move along

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Juub1990

@Vatusus: Unless you were counting frame rates while playing this video is far more revelant than your comment. Move along.

Also lol @few frame rate dips are you fucking shitting me? The game is averaging in the low 20’s on PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Juub1990 said:

@Vatusus: Unless you were counting frame rates while playing this video is far more revelant than your comment. Move along.

Also lol @few frame rate dips are you fucking shitting me? The game is averaging in the low 20’s on PS3.

Ya do know the game was patched after its release. I didnt played the game right when it came out so there's that

Anyway, think what you like. I played both PC and PS3 versions. Performance aside (like every other console/PC multiplat game), they were the exact same game

Few

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75 Few
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@Vatusus said:
@Juub1990 said:

Ya do know the game was patched after its release. I didnt played the game right when it came out so there's that

Anyway, think what you like. I played both PC and PS3 versions. Performance aside (like every other console/PC multiplat game), they were the exact same game

Why did you @ me ? x)

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Juub1990
@few said:

Why did you @ me ? x)

Well that's a pretty awesome coincidence.

Few

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Few
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@Juub1990: Ahahaha :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@few said:
@Vatusus said:
@Juub1990 said:

Why did you @ me ? x)

?

what are you talking about?

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#80 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I thought it was pretty decent. If I remember correctly, the first half or maybe three quarters was the best part and then it kind of trailed off somewhat.

I think it was even a touch better than the original crysis which imo was overrated.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

Entire level was removed from the console version, both graphics and physics were severely dialed down and the most important of all it features the nano-suit from Crysis 2 which is extremely streamlined and you can't even play as you can on the PC version. All of the things that made Crysis on PC a marvel with open ended gameplay were missing from the console version.

I don't think console gamers would have missed much with the Ascension level missing. It's by far the worst level in Crysis. What's the point of flying around when the VTOL was hemmed in at both sides? It might as well be on rails. I love flight sims. But, Ascension in Crysis really, really sucked. ;)

The open-ended gameplay of the early Crysis levels were also on consoles even if the terrain was a little barren.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@bowtothepc said:

They might even call it a spinoff.

lol. Going by your username I'm 100% sure you havent even played the console version. Just like Juub you probably just saw a couple of videos on youtube and took conclusions out of nothing. I played both and I proved it. Can you prove you played the console version?

Entire level was removed from the console version, both graphics and physics were severely dialed down and the most important of all it features the nano-suit from Crysis 2 which is extremely streamlined and you can't even play as you can on the PC version.

The "entire level" was streamlined sh*t. I played it on PC. The game was actually better without it. What we were debating here was the fact Crysis 1 openess was made on consoles and it was. Graphics? Sure, that still doesnt make it a new different game or every other PC game would be "different" than the console counterpart. Physics? Probably, I dont remember but it probably was so pointless I cant even remember... Nano suit was made to fit on the controler (it was the console version after all) but that still doesnt make it a brand new game. Again, what were debating here is that Crysis openess was made possible on consoles, not how the nano-suit played like. Thats fleeing from the point.

All of the things that made Crysis on PC a marvel with open ended gameplay were missing from the console version. So yes, the pathetic consoles couldn't run Crysis. But of course, a person that enjoys UC4 couldn't understand that.

lol to that entire statement. Thats all. At least I've proven several times I play both platforms contrary to some PC gamers that talk about consoles out of ignorance because some yt videos told them so

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Entire level was removed from the console version, both graphics and physics were severely dialed down and the most important of all it features the nano-suit from Crysis 2 which is extremely streamlined and you can't even play as you can on the PC version. All of the things that made Crysis on PC a marvel with open ended gameplay were missing from the console version.

I don't think console gamers would have missed much with the Ascension level missing. It's by far the worst level in Crysis. What's the point of flying around when the VTOL was hemmed in at both sides? It might as well be on rails. I love flight sims. But, Ascension in Crysis really, really sucked. ;)

The open-ended gameplay of the early Crysis levels were also on consoles even if the terrain was a little barren.

Yup, basically this

Rahnyc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Rahnyc4
Member since 2005 • 6660 Posts

i actually enjoyed it, then again it was my first crysis game. then i played part 2, which was good in itself and recently completed part 3 this years. each game felt different, each game had its flaw and each game had its own experiences. i cant rate any of em, since i don't want to disrespect the games. i do have to say crysis 3 was an appetizer and not a main meal.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Juub1990

@Vatusus said:

Yup, basically this

How about you prove the console version doesn't run like dog shit lol? The 360 version is at least somewhat playable. The PS3 version is complete garbage.

I forgot though, I'm talking to someone who doesn't even know the fundamentals of debating and whose entire argument boils down to "lol I played it and it was fine", despite being presented video evidence that proves the performance is extremely subpar. Doesn't matter you thought it was fine. If numbers and not bias come into play, it isn't fine unless you have very low standards. It runs like crap on consoles. Even more so on PS3. Prove otherwise. Unless you were running a benchmark while playing, it's irrelevant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Juub1990 said:
@Vatusus said:

Yup, basically this

How about you prove the console version doesn't run like dog shit lol? The 360 version is at least somewhat playable. The PS3 version is complete garbage.

I forgot though, I'm talking to someone who doesn't even know the fundamentals of debating and whose entire argument boils down to "lol I played it and it was fine", despite being presented video evidence that proves the performance is extremely subpar. Doesn't matter you thought it was fine. If numbers and not bias come into play, it isn't fine unless you have very low standards. It runs like crap on consoles. Even more so on PS3. Prove otherwise. Unless you were running a benchmark while playing, it's irrelevant.

Sorry, I'm not doing this "back and forth" sh*t with you again. I've proven I played both. Can you? Oh, right, you presented a youtube video made before the patch so that makes your argument valid in your mind. And since I already know how much you'll keep grinding at it despite being constantly wrong I'm not even bothering. Think what you like. I just need to know I didnt had any major problem with the game on PS3. I dont need you or any expired youtube video to convince me otherwise

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Juub1990

@Vatusus: And I googled Crysis performance patch and found nothing. Are or you just assuming every patch enhances performance? I don’t care that you played it or that you had no problem. Post a benchmark of the game running on your PS3 or GTFO. Quit stonewalling and learn how to debate.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#88  Edited By kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

no people act like crysis was his amazing gem but other then graphics the gameplay was pretty bland and I hated how the A.I always just knew where you were does'nt matter if you used clock and 50 feet away. I liked crysis warhead better then the original one though it had more alien levels. Crysis was decent I just could'nt play it on consoles because it was visually a downgrade

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@kemar7856 said:

no people act like crysis was his amazing gem but other then graphics the gameplay was pretty bland and I hated how the A.I always just knew where you were does'nt matter if you used clock and 50 feet away.

Not on the Crysis I played. When cloaked, a KPA might detect there's something present after a long gaze at the spot where Nomad was at right next to him. But, more often than not, the KPA went past Nomad if the latter remained perfectly still, especially with additional concealment such as shadows and bushes.

The foliage played a big part in concealment. The lack of it (eg console versions) can certainly affect gameplay.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Right, but the big problem was, in Crysis, you could use all of the foliage as cover. Playing on delta mode and sneaking through the grass and bushes was awesome. Something you couldn't do on consoles since 75% of the foliage was missing.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 jun_aka_pekto

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Right, but the big problem was, in Crysis, you could use all of the foliage as cover. Playing on delta mode and sneaking through the grass and bushes was awesome. Something you couldn't do on consoles since 75% of the foliage was missing.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Crysis had a stupid, but simple, and fun B-story. Warhead had an even goofier story, with a likable protagonist.

Crysis 2 (which boasted about it's story prior to release) had an incomprehensible story where people said a whole lot of nothing. Deadly earnest, but totally hollow. A vacuous cliche' under the impression it was a high concept thriller.

Crysis 1/Warhead actually did have an original setting, at least later in the game, when you have a winter-wonderland tropical Island, with a surreal sci-fi space-ship underground, inside a volcano.

Crysis 2 is an off-brand Halflife 2. Without the good. It follows the same pattern as Crysis with a morphing environment late game, with the only once of creativity a final level set in a floating sky fortress i.e. The Citadel

Crysis/Warhead gave the player options how to play, among highly interactive environments.

Crysis 2 literally spells out 2-3 options telling the player what to take. With obviose, trite setups, where the only real interaction is a scripted kick-car animation. Instead of sacrificing suit power, everything is streamlined and simplified to make stealth even more overpowered than it was in the first two, a "you win" button.

Crysis 2 does improve the alien enemies, while the human enemies are dumb, and boring, the alien AI, when it's not borking up is surprisingly good. They stealth, hunt for the player, take into account vertical positions, use utilities, stick together and generally are far more engaging than the aliens in either Crysis or Warhead. Probably the best thing in the game.

While Crysis 2 lacks the scale or interactivity of Crysis, it runs a hell of a lot better. The initial levels aren't impressive looking, (in fact they are quite ugly in places) later levels like New York at night look simply stunning, easily running 60fps on mid end hardware. But with limited graphic options that goes in direction opposition of the tweak minded fan-base it had cultivated.

Crysis And Warhead are also far better paced. They never really felt like they were dragging while at the same time giving the player cool down moments to express themselfs. Crysis 2 is a console game through and though, constantly barraging players with sensory overload until bombastic becomes routine, and routine become laborious.

Crysis left a mark, it become synonymous with pc gaming. The manly game for men. No scrubs allowed.

Is Crysis 2 terrible? Nope. Is it particularly good? Na. It's just totally forgettable. a corporate reinvention with aspirations of becoming Halo or Call Of Duty, failing spectacularly, a completely misguided attempt at drawing in a new audience while telling it's pre-existing (and passionate) existing fan-base to ****-off, you're not good enough, we deserve better.

And I guess they got what they deserved. ^-^

Brilliant post man. A resounding YES to all points!

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#93  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@Xtasy26 said:

I played Crysis 3 this year now that game was mediocre. No variety in the levels, stuck inside a dome with bland urban grassy environment. At least Crysis 2 had some variety in the levels.

As I recall, Crysis 3 had the shipyard/port, the grassy areas, the sewers, the night at the swamp, the flooded ruins of NYC, the Ceph tunnels, plus the rail sequence from the air. Crysis 2 had even less variety.

They all took place inside the Dome. Crysis 2 took places at different locations in NYC. They had indoor environments, the beginning was inside a submarine, then you go inside the Alien Ceph organism, also, there was the level where you had all these nanosuits (which was a really nice looking level), also the Ceph boss you had to fight inside Union Station in NYC. Crysis 3 for example has a location for Chinatown, it was still the same grassy environment inside a Dome. The night swamp was still inside the Dome. There was the dam level where you had to blow out the dam, if you include that as a "variety" but it was meh to me. No where near as Crysis 1. There was one towards the end where you go up the the space station and that was for a very brief period of time. Crysis 1 had all that and more.

Personally, I think Crytek barked up the wrong tree by putting the idea that CELL had enacted a Dome over New York City. They could have taken a different path with the story line where you had to go to different places, an Island or even a different city. Being inside a dome severely limited the diversity of their environments, all I saw mostly was a grass and decrepit environments.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@Xtasy26: what is with you and bringing up old shit?

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#95 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@Xtasy26: do not bump old threads