Vita games on PSN will be cheaper than retail ( up to 40% less? )

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 0

#51 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

love how you get a discount for downloaded games yet people just complain about memory card prices and call it a scam... You can just buy 1 memory card and swap your games over between PC or PS3 whenever you need too. It seems people are trying to make excuses to say that its not reasonable to do this.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
YES. Big step forward. Digital games >>> cartridges. Though, those memory cards would have to drop in price before I get a Vita...
Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
How much are those memory cards again?meetroid8
My thoughts exactly :|
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Its good to see they learned their lessons from the failed full retail not a test psp go where they kept digial versions as expensive as the retail.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Why not? There isn't nearly as much overhead for digital distribution.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

That 40% figure is old, I hope it's true though.

I wonder, how many games would it take to offset the memory card required to download these games?

5 games?

They gotta make those memory cards worth it.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Damage control for Vita software sales flopping? :lol:

Nobody buys retail games online compared to retail.

groverslanding
Its a good thing you have numbers to back that up, right?
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
I just read today that it's only 10% off most games which is LOL in my book. Rather have the hard copy for $5 more. That just speaks words to me... 4GB cards (what PSV games use) + manual, plastic case only cost $5 = $20 for retail for 4GB mem stick. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/720378/playstation-vita-games-will-be-cheaper-on-psn/
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#59 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

[QUOTE="helwa1988"]40% off of digital downloads. but they charge for memory which you will need to put all those digital downloads on. who do you think you are fooling sony? i see what you did there.ShadowMoses900

Lol yep. this guy get'ts it. Still it's not so bad. I do prefer to have an acutal physcial copy though.

Same. Downloads are nice, but I'd rather have physical media.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Could be good news. On handhelds and on the PC I always prefer digital games. On the consoles I go for the physical cover.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#61 kairikh
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

...this guy knows wats up...

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i cant wait to have to buy a 100$ memory stick to store my games and music.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 kairikh

[QUOTE="kairikh"]

thats great...but they can still take the 32 gig memory card and shove it up there ass, my music alone is 32 gigs who are they fooling -_-

zarshack

Why would you put 32gb of music on a handheld device? do you have 32gb of music on your phone or an iPad? Hell even the ipod touch a device made for music only goes upto 64gb memory, but we are talking about a machine which functions primarily as a gaming device.

well if they want to satisfy the consumer theyll fix the small memory card thing, my point is because it has that functionality to add music i SHOULD be allowed to add how ever much i see fit and still game ya maybe its stupid to fill a gaming system up with music granted if it has the functionality then sony also needs to give it the capacity, are u gonna stay here and tell me ur ok with paying 100$ for a 32 gb memory card? I didnt even pay that much for a terabyte harddrive...do u see my point?
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#64 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

I intend to go digital with or without a discount. Just seems more fitting for a portable game system, I think.

A discount would be nice, though I doubt they'll do more than the 10% shown by Best Buy - of course, I'd love to be wrong.

Slashkice

This. The convenience of just having everything on your device without having to lug around cartridges makes the cost of the memory cards worth it, even if they're a bit high. I'm going to get a 32gb card whenever I pick up a Vita.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="kairikh"]

thats great...but they can still take the 32 gig memory card and shove it up there ass, my music alone is 32 gigs who are they fooling -_-

kairikh

Why would you put 32gb of music on a handheld device? do you have 32gb of music on your phone or an iPad? Hell even the ipod touch a device made for music only goes upto 64gb memory, but we are talking about a machine which functions primarily as a gaming device.

well if they want to satisfy the consumer theyll fix the small memory card thing, my point is because it has that functionality to add music i SHOULD be allowed to add how ever much i see fit and still game ya maybe its stupid to fill a gaming system up with music granted if it has the functionality then sony also needs to give it the capacity, are u gonna stay here and tell me ur ok with paying 100$ for a 32 gb memory card? I didnt even pay that much for a terabyte harddrive...do u see my point?

I'll pay $100 for a 32gb card, when psp came out I paid 130 for a 1gb. I do wish psp/vita were universal cards but by no means gonna stop me from buying the console. If I remember right the biggest card at launch was 2gb at 180 at the store
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#66 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
i always found it odd when downloaded titles are priced the same as retail. They are viewing DD as a cash grab when it should be a chance to boost sales numbers.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#67 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="meetroid8"] And what is the average size of a Vita retail download? I'm just wondering if the memory card price might balance out the PSN price reduction.zarshack

I think the smallest Vita cartridge game is 2GB

I found a list actually.

AR Combat DigiQ: Friend Tank Battalion – 220 MB
Army Corps of Hell – 598 MB
Asphalt Injection – 724 MB
BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend – 3180 MB
Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die – 121 MB
Dark Quest: Alliance – 1057 MB
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention – 1619 MB
Dream Club Zero Portable – 2835 MB
Dynasty Warriors Next – 1485 MB
Everybody's Golf 6 – 1100 MB
F1 2011 – 1435 MB
Little Deviants – 869 MB
Live Tweet – 5760 KB
Lord of Apocalypse – 1427 MB
Mahjong Fight Club – 793 MB
Michael Jackson: The Experience HD – 1225 MB
Minna to Issho: Friend Network – 168 MB
Monster Radar – 1640 MB
Nico Nico – 14 MB
Power Smash 4 – 1241 MB
Ridge Racer – 561 MB
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen – 1057 MB
Touch My Katamari – 744 MB
True Night of the Kamaitachi: The 11th Visitor – 793 MB
Uke-torne – 16 MB
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 1350 MB
Uncharted: Golden Abyss – 2777 MB

Source - http://www.psvita-mod.com/forums/index.php?topic=485.0

Ah i knew i saw a long list of game sizes, so for 8GB i could have about 6 average sized games, yeah that's reasonable i guess. Assuming the prices WILL BE 40% off then that's quite a saving, even just buying four games is like the price of a memory card. $40 game bought retail is like $24.... Nah there's no way it'll that steep a saving it's just not possible, 20% is likely the saving we'll see. If it's truly 40% off then buying three games will counter the cost of the card, i don't see this happening i'd expect it to require buying 4 or 5 games to break even then everything afterwards is savings.
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 kairikh

[QUOTE="kairikh"][QUOTE="zarshack"]Why would you put 32gb of music on a handheld device? do you have 32gb of music on your phone or an iPad? Hell even the ipod touch a device made for music only goes upto 64gb memory, but we are talking about a machine which functions primarily as a gaming device.

p4s2p0

I'll pay $100 for a 32gb card, when psp came out I paid 130 for a 1gb. I do wish psp/vita were universal cards but by no means gonna stop me from buying the console. If I remember right the biggest card at launch was 2gb at 180 at the store

thats so outrageous..i have an 8gb i bought 2 years ago for like 40$ its not stopping me from getting the console but i do think its unfair :(

ebrezzy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ebrezzy1
Member since 2012 • 1427 Posts
always liked physical copies never got into digital downloads can't wait for the vita n read what people think of it uncharted golden abyss looks like a win for me
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i highly doubt games will be 40% off on t he PSN store. but i will be buying all my games from the PSN store regardless if this is true or not
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Right... I'll believe that when I see it. :roll:

SilverSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SilverSterls
Member since 2012 • 98 Posts
For a home console i like owning the boxed copys but for a portable gaming system i would rather them be downloadable.
SyrupNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SyrupNinja
Member since 2012 • 50 Posts
Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 zarshack

Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.SyrupNinja
passing on savings from digital distribution and you want to complain? GTFO

SilverSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SilverSterls
Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.SyrupNinja
fakeboy confirmed.
SyrupNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 SyrupNinja
[QUOTE="SyrupNinja"]Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.SilverSterls
fakeboy confirmed.

What do you mean?
xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

Looks like i'm going to be saving some money. I love that.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#78 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Will i be able to store games on my memory cards and then switch them out like if I`m switching out game cartridges ?
SilverSterls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 SilverSterls
[QUOTE="SilverSterls"][QUOTE="SyrupNinja"]Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.SyrupNinja
fakeboy confirmed.

What do you mean?

Meaning you probalby dont own a PS3. Why would savings on PS Vita games which in most cases take no no whear near the resources of a PS3 game effect your decision to keep a PS3. Sounds like to me theres lots of bonuses if you own both platforms. By the disk based games at retail for your PS3 and download the games you want for your vita off PSN.
SyrupNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 SyrupNinja
[QUOTE="SilverSterls"][QUOTE="SyrupNinja"][QUOTE="SilverSterls"] fakeboy confirmed.

What do you mean?

Meaning you probalby dont own a PS3. Why would savings on PS Vita games which in most cases take no no whear near the resources of a PS3 game effect your decision to keep a PS3. Sounds like to me theres lots of bonuses if you own both platforms. By the disk based games at retail for your PS3 and download the games you want for your vita off PSN.

Sony is favoring their precious Digital Download customers... Microsoft does not pull that ****
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SilverSterls"][QUOTE="SyrupNinja"] What do you mean?SyrupNinja

Sony is favoring their precious Digital Download customers... Microsoft does not pull that ****

They are offering discounts on DD games day one. Even with Steam, I hardly see this. I buy from XBLA, PSN, Wiiware, WiiVC, Steam, GOG, and others. Day one discounts is something we should have seen long ago.

The companies save on case, instructions, disc, middlemen retailers, require memory space from the users, and in some cases impose online DRM on the DD copies. It's about time we see a day one discount for DD games. Publishers know they can charge the same damn amount but give us less, and it's annoying.

Sony is offering an incentive to users going for DD with day one DD discounts, something the industry should have adopted long ago.

We will also over time see discounts for Vita DD games as we do on XBL, Steam, PSN, GOG...that's natural.

-------------

He's (and others) are calling you a fakeboy because you are angry about DD game discounts...when you should either :

1.) Not care because despite the small discount in day one DD, the tradeoff isn't your thing. You will just buy the games retail and be happy.

2.) Not care simply because you may not be buying a Vita.

3.) Saying outlandish highly improbable for no good reason. We see this all the time in SW, fakeboys spin good things into the worse news ever. That doesn't mean you are a fakeboy, but that you are posting like one from his perspective.

4.) Build up your GS account. Your account is brand new, so that is always suspect, but it's growing pains for all of us

5.) Post your pics of your systems/get a cool sig like I have that shows your trophies/gamerscore, etc. You have no sig or way of identifying you own the PS3 you are selling because of your anger over day one DD discounts when you said in this thread "Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes" because of day one discounted DD games.

So, there you go fellow gamer. BTW, you just joined today, so welcome to Gamespot.com.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

We should be seeing some sizable discounts with DD games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46561 Posts

So vita games were 40% cheaper on PSN in Japan, 10% cheaper in the US, anyone have any idea how much it'll be in Europe ?

I'm guessing 0%

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SyrupNinja"]Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.zarshack

A bit shocking response to a good thing (DD day one discounts), especially considering the PS3 has nothing to do with this Vita news.

I do agree, the complaint was extreme. :P

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
Good move. The only way DD will ever work with consoles is to give people a reason to buy the digital version. Saving money is a good start.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#86 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I'm actually happy about this and I have faith in Sony. They have had their fair share of nice discounted ps3 games. How much was Borderlands this last summer on PSN? I know they aren't as good as steam and my favorite PSP game still isn't on PSN but still they have shown many improvements.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
dont understand how this is going to work... the difference between eb games and other RETAILERS can go upto 40%...hell even more....
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
You didn't see the pathetic $5 dollar discount at Best Buy for buying digital, did you?
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

[QUOTE="zarshack"]

[QUOTE="SyrupNinja"]Well I am selling my PS3, Way to **** over retail fans Sony you arogant @$$wipes.SolidTy

A bit shocking response to a good thing (DD day one discounts), especially considering the PS3 has nothing to do with this Vita news.

There are millions of people who can't afford new games without trading old ones in for physical copies at stores. Plenty that don't have credit cards, etc. So they're screwed and not getting in on this discount Also, a listing at Best Buy only pointed at about a $5 discount on major titles like Uncharted for digital copies
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 zarshack

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

[QUOTE="zarshack"]passing on savings from digital distribution and you want to complain? GTFO

bonesawisready5

There are millions of people who can't afford new games without trading old ones in for physical copies at stores. Plenty that don't have credit cards, etc. So they're screwed and not getting in on this discount Also, a listing at Best Buy only pointed at about a $5 discount on major titles like Uncharted for digital copies

They are paying the same price they always paid, they arent losing anything, digital doesnt get you the case or the card or the booklet which saves on costs which is why its cheaper, you have to be a special kind of idiot to think you are entitled to the same discount when you buy retail as the person who buys digital direct from sony without recieving something that has gone through all the processes that retail games go through. Its a trade off of Price vs physical ownership.