Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@shellcase86:

So many people mention the opening scene of The Last of Us! :O

I feel like the only person on the planet who felt nothing. :( I was playing the game with a friend at the time and I turned to him and said "I bet she dies. Ellie's on the cover so obviously she dies"...

It was just too obvious for me. :/

I found the opening of TLOU quite sad. But I also saw it coming, for the same reason. And she didn't get much character development before that. It could've been done better.

It reminded me of a somewhat similar scene in Clannad, except it was more heart-wrenching, because of how much character development there was leading up to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@Jag85:

I feel the same. Just not nearly enough time with a character who was clearly not going to last very long. The loss itself is quite sad on a basic human level but the execution wasnt really there for me.

The ending was more effective I thought. It made me feel really uncomfortable and sort of bothered which I felt it was meant to. It was happly but at a cost and I liked that about it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

That Dragon, Cancer.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

The Last of Us

The Walking Dead

Life is Strange

Senran Kagura: Estival Versus

Shadow of the Colossus

Beyond: Two Souls

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Valiant Hearts and Walking Dead Season 1 in terms of sadness

Dark Souls games are a mixed bag of awe, frustration, and an amazing sense of accomplishment- I'd call that emotional

Windwaker when you say goodbye to Grandma and come back later and she's depressed

And Ocarina of Time when Sheik's secret identity was revealed

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#56 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

@and1salttape said:

Only Dark Souls 2. King Vendrick in his throne room was a melancholy moment.

Yes....this. But its in his crypt. His throne room offers a different kind of moment however, butchery from two Pursuers. The hardest Soulsborne fight I have encountered.

Dark Souls II seemed to be the best when it came storytelling in the series. The lore revolves around Vendrick, that's what makes that sequence so great. The Milfanito rescue was a great moment as well.

The_Hellblazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 The_Hellblazer
Member since 2016 • 183 Posts

Pretty much all the Metal Gears in some way, shape or form have gotten to me (especially 3 with the Boss and 4 with that strangely cathartic ending)

Persona 3 stands out because of that ending, those writers at Atlus really know how to get you invested in a story, and then crush your soul with it...my girlfriend and I were bent out of shape over it for at least a week, probably longer :p

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6853 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@shellcase86:

So many people mention the opening scene of The Last of Us! :O

I feel like the only person on the planet who felt nothing. :( I was playing the game with a friend at the time and I turned to him and said "I bet she dies. Ellie's on the cover so obviously she dies"...

It was just too obvious for me. :/

Fair point. But speaking as a father to a little girl -- you can't help but to feel the anguish, anger, despair, and overall loss Joel had in that moment. Our perspective differs.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Last of Us (the opening part), Last Guardian, Mass Effect, Dungeon Master 2 (that soundtrack!), Valkyria Chronicles.

And Ultima Online when some PK looted my brand new staff that took me two weeks of intense crafting.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@360ru13r said:

Gears of War 3 when Dom dies. Saddest thing I've seen so far.

Considering how often that piece of shit ruined my playthroughs on insane difficulty solo during all games I was very pleased to see him go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@shellcase86:

I didn't at the time but I do now have a nephew and niece. It's not that such a thing can't be impacting to me, I just didn't think this case was simply because it was too obvious what was going to happen. It's hard to get attached when I had already written the plot out in my head.

I've also seen similarly tragic things happen like it in other media... I don't know. It just had no emotional impact for me.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@and1salttape said:

Only Dark Souls 2. King Vendrick in his throne room was a melancholy moment.

Yes....this. But its in his crypt. His throne room offers a different kind of moment however, butchery from two Pursuers. The hardest Soulsborne fight I have encountered.

Dark Souls II seemed to be the best when it came storytelling in the series. The lore revolves around Vendrick, that's what makes that sequence so great. The Milfanito rescue was a great moment as well.

Yeah, I forgot that. Glad to see at least someone appreciates DS2's storytelling. The pallid environments that were irksome in the beginning condensed in that one moment in the crypt to make that a powerful sight. There's a song that I find very fitting for King Vendrick (both lyrics and atmosphere) and coincidentally, it also has a melody similar to Majula's theme. Here:

Loading Video...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#63  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The amount of rage that Planetside 2 has made me feel over the years is the stuff of legends.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#64 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49583 Posts

I think the only game that managed to stick with me was Mass Effect 3. I played that for 8 hours straight and would think about it when I wasn't playing. I was so immersed into the game and the storyline; emotionally invested into getting the best possible story... So much time spent.

This is, of course, ignoring and/or pretending the ending wasn't a total disaster.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#65 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

@and1salttape: The atmosphere and environment of DS2 was pretty great (well outside the stage transitions). Look at DS3 and its all Member Berry areas. DS2's areas set themselves apart from other Souls games (other than the Gutter).

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

I think the only game that managed to stick with me was Mass Effect 3. I played that for 8 hours straight and would think about it when I wasn't playing. I was so immersed into the game and the storyline; emotionally invested into getting the best possible story... So much time spent.

This is, of course, ignoring and/or pretending the ending wasn't a total disaster.

The ending (the extended cut) works and is part of why ME3 was emotional.

Seriously gamers just wanted to have a happy clear cut ending. They wanted a populist ending and Bioware did not give them that.

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

@lilseb93 said:

The ending of Final Fantasy X

This so much, can't remember the game that gave me this so much emotions. Also the Tidus and Yuna scene where they both in the lake. Another good one was FF9. Metal Gear 3 when you fight the old sniper guy. It's cool and sad.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#67 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Final Fantasy VII, IX

Mass Effect 2, 3

The Witcher 3.

I think Witcher 3 did it the best. I got the bad ending and....damn. Bothered me for a couple days after.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Not really emotional, but I was like "that sucks" when John Marston dies.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Too the Moon, The Walking Dead Season 1, Red Dead Redemption, FF15 as well.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#70 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i'd say Final Fantasy 4. Not sad or anything but more happy at the end because it wrapped up everything very well and everything worked out in the end. Wish more games ended like this instead of doom and gloom like most do.

darkninja66613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 darkninja66613
Member since 2016 • 174 Posts

Nothing. Emotions are a weakness, people. It's just a game, get over it!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#72 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19679 Posts

@jumpaction said:

@shellcase86:

I didn't at the time but I do now have a nephew and niece. It's not that such a thing can't be impacting to me, I just didn't think this case was simply because it was too obvious what was going to happen. It's hard to get attached when I had already written the plot out in my head.

I've also seen similarly tragic things happen like it in other media... I don't know. It just had no emotional impact for me.

It's the attachment you have to loved ones, especially young ones (even more so if they're your own kids), that really gets you emotional when anything happens to them. If a script can capture that feeling, then that's a sign of good writing.

In that regard, TLOU did a fairly good job for what little time it had for the opening, since there's only so much character development you can squeeze into a couple of minutes. It could've been better if the opening was extended, to give more time for character development. But then, that could hurt the pacing of the gameplay. There's a balance that cinematic games need to strike between storytelling and gameplay.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Xenogears, Xenoblade 1-3 (the end of 3 most of all), xenoblade chronicles, xenoblade chronicles x. Yes I am a XENO! MWHAAHAH! (Who has Switch Pre-Ordered for Xenoblade 2? THIS GUY!!)

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#74  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

The Last of Us is probably the only game that made me emotional

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

That Dragon, Cancer.

lol pussy

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Please Bang My Wife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@Jag85:

I think it would have been more successful if they had her as part of the advertisement. Otherwise the plot thread wouldn't have been so predictable for me. As soon as I saw her, I thought "I bed she is going to die and Joel will replace her with Ellie as a daughter figure.". It ruined the impact for me as I had already marked her down as a red shirt.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#78 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

That Dragon, Cancer.

lol pussy

Yeah man I found the sorrow of two parents losing their child to cancer to be depressing. Clearly a pussy, next level pussonomics.

God damn heart less ass jabroni.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#79 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

This gen, from the top of my head, Gone Home, Firewatch and The Witcher 3.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Emotional over the game's story or characters? Can't say I have. Good thing I taught my kids to think the same: It's just a game.

"Awwww. He died. Tough shit. Move on."

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#81 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

The Last of Us

Final Fantasy 4 (the twin sacrifice, I wasn't expecting that)

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#83 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

To the Moon.

Oh shit totaly forgot about this game, first time I ever had tears for a game.

Since then, none.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6853 Posts

@jumpaction: Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I was on a bit of a media blackout for TLOU. So although I should have known something was up I was completely willing to play into that scene.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@shellcase86:

I think the scene would have got me more if I didn't see the two trailers prior to launch. :(

It was clear Ellie was going to be the star. Still, I thought the ending was really effective.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

Journey

Shadow Of The Collosus

Executing drama through gameplay.

@jumpaction said:

The loss itself is quite sad on a basic human level but the execution wasnt really there for me.

It's pretty cheap to begin with.

Would you cry if that was whatshisface Joel's brother who died in that scene? I don't think so.

Killing off a little girl you've introduced 2 minutes ago is some anime-level drama.

I think it would be way better if the game would flash forward without showing Sarah die, so there would be some tension ("where is the girl?" "Is she with the brother guy?") before the reveal further down the line, let's say at the dam, where you meet the brother and Sarah's clearly not there.

Avatar image for magicspaceninja
MagicSpaceNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MagicSpaceNinja
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

CS:GO. I cry every time. I also get even more dehydrated because of all the salt.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I cried a lot over Life Is Strange, mainly because I couldn't believe I was so stupid as to actually take the time it took to complete it. Fucking terrible game with awful music, dude sis characters, dire graphics and just a general totally amateurish feel to it and completely contrived and staged 'emotional' moments.

The Last Of Us intro was quite moving and poignant, the journey was great and the ending was just WTF? I love ND games but they literally every single time have a great idea that they don't know quite what they want to do with so they just end it really weirdly. Uncharted 4 broke that tradition, the ending while not madly emotional was at least appropriate and apt to tie up all loose ends for the series.

When I want emotional I go for books and movies. Games just aren't anywhere close to being 'there' yet. Maybe they never will be and maybe as their real purpose is fun and entertainment they never should be. By way of proof I offer Telltale 'games' which are ridiculously amateurish and badly written with pig ugly graphics and people are STILL buying them as alternatives to books and movies that shit all over them.

There is no cure for stupid. Hey, that was me getting emotional, sorry.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#89 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Walking Dead season 1 (well all know the choice, a little girl should never have to do that, man it was sad)

Other than that, nothing really. Am I a really cold person? haha

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

Quite a few games generate emotions for me, but only a select few actually get me feeling like a wreck/on the verge of tears.

- The Walking Dead Season 1 and 2, but especially 1. That ending scene just tore me apart. The entire season was a roller coaster of emotions, and it all just came crashing down at the last scene. Fantastically written series!

- Any game of the Mass Effect trilogy. I was basically a kid when I played Mass Effect 2's suicide mission, and that had me hyped up to the moon and back. Mass Effect 3 had the most feels though. Whether it was leaving Earth, making that final push with the fleets to Earth. But the most poignant for me was Mordin's sacrifice. It was made all the more impactful because Mordin really reminds me of myself, in terms of goals and personality. The very model of a scientist salarian ... :'(

- The Last of Us also had some great moments. I've forgotten most of the game, but I just remember this feeling of emptiness when I finally beat the game, in the sense of "Wow, I'll never has this experience again" The soundtrack in that final mission just sealed the deal. From the giraffes to running for your life in the hospital.

- Dragon Age Inquisition just had one particular moment of note, and that was the mission In Your Heart Shall Burn. One of the most emotionally impactful missions Bioware has ever created. Seeing your home base get wrecked, everyone separated, surviving by a thread, and everyone gathering for an epic journey to discover Skyhold. Up until that point, I was doubting whether Bioware was still able to pull off missions of heavy emotion. When this mission came up, I said "Yes baby, Bioware is back!!!"

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

End of MGS 3.

Thats bout it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

The witcher 3 combat. how bad it is.

It's not even that bad. You just played it on Easy.

Blame the player.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

I think the one game that caught me off guard was Spec Ops The Line. I applaud that game.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#94  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Witcher 3 when Gerald finds Ciri . One of the best scenes in gaming

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:
and that final mission in which you race through town to save Shaundi because you were going to kill Killbane but then this fucking track plays...

Man, I loved that sh*t. Best choice for a licensed song ever in a videogame. SR3 is one of the funniest VG I've ever played.

Anyway, games that made me emotional were:

ICO (ending)

SotC (pretty much all of it)

TLoU (the hospital scene when you hold ellie in your arms while the sad music plays)

RDR (when you go back to your family while the song "compass" plays on. People often mention the Far Away song when you enter mexico for the 1st time but I always prefered "compass". Its just a more fitting and more beautifull song imo. Also the John Martsons death)

MGS3 (ending)

Silent Hill 2 (ending)

Mass Effect 3 (Mordin death)

BioShock (Andrew Ryan scene)

The Darkness (Jenny death)

Braid (ending)

Flower (end level)

Journey (end level with Apotheosis playing... fantastic piece of music)

Havent beaten yet TLG but I've a feeling it'll be here as well

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Emotional over the game's story or characters? Can't say I have. Good thing I taught my kids to think the same: It's just a game.

"Awwww. He died. Tough shit. Move on."

Sooo, you also thought your kids to not get emotional over anything being it movies "its just a movie", books "its just a book" or music "its just music" and just be straight out psycopaths... got it