Valve's Newell attacks aggressive DRM

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/317439/valves-newell-attacks-aggressive-drm/

Newell last year said that the practice resulted in games that are "worth less" - to a cheering crowd at GDC.

This week, in an interview with Kotaku, he went a step further. "We're a broken record on this," said the exec. "This belief that you increase your monetisation by making your game worth less through aggressive digital rights management is totally backwards."

Newell added that piracy was "not an issue" for Valve as it is "a service issue, not a technology issue".

He cited Russia as an example, which is now Steam's largest European market outside the UK and Germany. Valve had invested in making sure games were properly localised for the region in order to combat piracy.

"When we entered Russia everyone said, 'You can't make money in there. Everyone pirates,'" he said, going on to explain that, at the time, pirates were localising games better than official publishers.

"When people decide where to buy their games they look and they say, 'Jesus, the pirates provide a better service for us,'" he commented.

"The best way to fight piracy is to create a service that people need. I think (publishers with strict DRM) will sell less of their products and create more problems.

"Customers want to know everything is going to be there for them no matter what: Their saved games and configurations will be there. They don't want any uncertainty."

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
Some how true. I remember how i use to play Halo over tunneling software with other people online,and mechassault as well which was one of my favorite games,in Halo case it make Halo better because Halo was not live able,because live came on late 2002,so it was the only way to play Halo online.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

get rid of copyrights and intellectual property as a whole I say.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

dkdk999
I think copyrights are important. However the modern copyright period (70 years after the death for personal copyrights, the earlier of 90 years after publishing or 120 years after creation for corporate copyrights) is ridiculous. I believe we should go back to the pre-1978 system of 28 years after filing with the option of renewing once for another 28 years.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

dkdk999
Nah, they have their uses. They should definitely make it harder to patent though also non-commercial copying should be legalised (none of the money from the suits goes to the creators and they don't dissuade anyone).
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
If we had the IP laws of today 100 years ago, we wouldn't even have public libraries. We'd have Activision and EA screaming "pirate! You read that book without paying us! Dieee!" When creative work becomes an industrial-complex, it's no longer artists, it's a bunch of lawyers exploiting artists and harassing everybody else. Same goes for Hollywood. Thespians, artists, writers, video game developers, these people deserve to earn a living. It's the fat cats in the middle that need to be gotten rid of. The "industry" part of it needs to die. Also I think Gabe Newell is brilliant, this is why Valve remains one of my favorite companies to buy from.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Valve is great on how they value us (the consumer), however I feel that other developers and publishers value their games more than they value us.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
Get rid of publishers and 99% of the problems with the game industry are solved.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Get rid of publishers and 99% of the problems with the game industry are solved.Moriarity_

Get rid of publishers and 99% of the games go away.

Everything in life is about balance. The thing that throws industries out of whack is the publicly traded corporation, the destroyer of capatilism.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]Get rid of publishers and 99% of the problems with the game industry are solved.Pug-Nasty

Everything in life is about balance. The thing that throws industries out of whack is the publicly traded corporation, the destroyer of capatilism.

With Digital Distribution, there is no need for publishers. There can be a developer and gamer direct relationship. 99% of games aren't even publisher backed, so that stat is false.

All publishers want to do is broaden the game to a bigger audience and pump out as many games as possible, profitabled of course. That kills developer traditions and inner-cultures. Less innovation in games, less compeition.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
As long as you dont punish the people who buy your games, I'm cool with it.
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
But what about their DRM? It's not that nice either, I was cussing the entire morning yesterday cause my ISP's local exchange was hit by a power surge and my DSL line wasn't working. As a result, I couldn't play DXHR. Seeing as "restart in offline mode" also needs an internet connection, I was helpless. Valve isn't as good as everyone thinks.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
As long as you dont punish the people who buy your games, I'm cool with it. Heil68
But see, that's all DRM actually manages to do. It doesn't hinder the would-be pirates.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pug-Nasty

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]Get rid of publishers and 99% of the problems with the game industry are solved.ShadowDeathX

With Digital Distribution, there is no need for publishers.

Publishers don't just fund the pressing of data onto discs, they fund the entire development of games. A game released over a DD network still requires development, and still requires funding. The disc pressing is a marginal cost compared to the development.

There can be a developer and gamer direct relationship. 99% of games aren't even publisher backed, so that stat is false.

Obviously, I was using that percentage in reply to the other poster. I have no idea what percentage of games are publisher backed, but it is certainly a very large amount. The number probably shrinks as you broaden what types of games you include... flash, arcade, whatever, but a full game is expensive and risky, which is why publishers exist.

All publishers want to do is broaden the game to a bigger audience and pump out as many games as possible, profitabled of course. That kills developer traditions and inner-cultures. Less innovation in games, less compeition.

Publicly traded corporations exist solely to earn money for their investors. Any publicly traded entity has less freedom to take risks because risky behaviour causes investors to flee, which cause the company to shut down even if business is good.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

Pug-Nasty

Publishers don't just fund the pressing of data onto discs, they fund the entire development of games. A game released over a DD network still requires development, and still requires funding. The disc pressing is a marginal cost compared to the development.

There can be a developer and gamer direct relationship. 99% of games aren't even publisher backed, so that stat is false.

Obviously, I was using that percentage in reply to the other poster. I have no idea what percentage of games are publisher backed, but it is certainly a very large amount. The number probably shrinks as you broaden what types of games you include... flash, arcade, whatever, but a full game is expensive and risky, which is why publishers exist.

Publicly traded corporations exist solely to earn money for their investors. Any publicly traded entity has less freedom to take risks because risky behaviour causes investors to flee, which cause the company to shut down even if business is good.

Publishers do fund the game, I agree. But if you take them out, developers will still be able to fund it themselves. All the profits of the game will be directed towards them as well.
Olimar_the_Min

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Olimar_the_Min
Member since 2008 • 513 Posts
Aggressive DRM only serves to save jobs of the people who brought you these joyful games.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThePlothole
[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

ShadowDeathX

Publishers do fund the game, I agree. But if you take them out, developers will still be able to fund it themselves. All the profits of the game will be directed towards them as well.

Not every developer can afford the tens of millions of dollars it takes to develop a modern game.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShadowDeathX

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

ThePlothole

Not every developer can afford the tens of millions of dollars it takes to develop a modern game.

You don't need tens of millions of dollars to develop a modern game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Aggressive DRM only serves to save jobs of the people who brought you these joyful games.Olimar_the_Min

How? Oft times it's completely worked around within a few days (a la Ubisoft "Always-On" DRM being cracked) and thus negates any possible effect it would have on mitigating piracy.

It often ruins the enjoyment of actual customers, due to the fact that these companies see pirates as potential customers, which is quite hard to prove.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Aggressive DRM only serves to save jobs of the people who brought you these joyful games.Olimar_the_Min
Well, ppl tend to get away from games with those aggressive DRM. Also, using that kind of stuff is a way to attract pirates. Company: Yo pirates, we made this DRM so you can't pirate the game that took me 2 years to make. I win. Pirate: *24 hours after release DRM is broken and game is on torrent sites* Company: Crap. Need to make another DRM. So, in the end, the DRM affects the honest costumer while the pirate cracks the DRM and opens the game so everyone can play.
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Valve complaining about DRM??? Thats just too funny.

Pot, kettle, ext.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Not every developer can afford the tens of millions of dollars it takes to develop a modern game.ThePlothole

Not all developers need tens of millions of dollars to develop a game.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"]Not every developer can afford the tens of millions of dollars it takes to develop a modern game.N30F3N1X

Not all developers need tens of millions of dollars to develop a game.

Indie games is a good example :> IF they make the game good (put some love into it) it will sell good for close to no production cost. :
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Indie games is a good example :> IF they make the game good (put some love into it) it will sell good for close to no production cost. :KalDurenik

I'm not talking solely about indie games, I'm mainly talking about games made before this generation. Show this generation of noobs that graphics don't matter in making a good game ffs.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts
Piracy has never been a problem of "trying to get around paying." It has always, always, always been about convenience, and a perception of being treated fairly and with respect. Steam is successful because they do that. Other companies crap on people, milk them and then cry "pirate" when people fight back. In any entertainment business, or creative business, you have to treat the sale of your goods as almost voluntary payment. You are not selling widgets, you are not selling vinyl siding. People are SPONSORING your studio the same way they would sponsor an artist. If Trent Reznor or Lady Gaga say "Thanks for coming out here tonight, we'd appreciate it if you guys could kick some money into donation bin" they will have millions of dollars in there. But when Metallica starts getting all pissy about lost sales, and suing little kids and grandma, you think after that I'm gonna buy their album? YOU WISH. Do everybody a favor and retire, Hetfield, you suck, you got no soul, get off the stage. This is the same thing happening in the video game industry. Ppl are forgetting it's all about love and fan loyalty. That's what sells games. Not your lawyer. Not your DRM. That stuff is a waste of money because your stuff is still gonna end up on the 0 day warez site. If your fans love you, they will plunk down their money and contribute to your studio. DRM is counter-productive, because it shows antipathy to your fans. The guys on the 0 day warez site are getting the clean copy of your game, and I'm getting the junky version where I have to login and type my password after paying $60. That makes me feel like an idiot for supporting you.
John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
let's first fix lame steam offline mode and then open mouth
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!! Then how come there are only one or two games on this entire planet that aren't cracked?

And then this:

let's first fix lame steam offline mode and then open mouthJohn_Read

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

ThePlothole

Not every developer needs 10s of millions of dollars to make a Hollywood game.

Minecraft is a good example. Other indie games prove this as well. Heck, even the damn facebook games. You don't need the entire reserve of a third world country to make a successful game.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

mirgamer

Minecraft is a good example. Other indie games prove this as well. Heck, even the damn facebook games. You don't need the entire reserve of a third world country to make a successful game.

No, you don't.

The difference, however, is that there's about a few hundred indie games released for every successful one.

A company like EA can't survive off just making indie-quality titles.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Rather strange coming from the makers of Steam (which requires you to be online to play games you 'own'). I would call that 'aggressive DRM'.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

dkdk999

:lol: Yeah so no one could protect their ideas, designswhat so ever.. Meaning gaming would crash.. Genious idea.. I hope your aware that video games are 100% intellectual property.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Rather strange coming from the makers of Steam (which requires you to be online to play games you 'own'). I would call that 'aggressive DRM'. KC_Hokie

No you can play in offline mode buddy.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Rather strange coming from the makers of Steam (which requires you to be online to play games you 'own'). I would call that 'aggressive DRM'. sSubZerOo

You have to manually configure your games for offline mode. So if your internet goes out and you aren't configured properly you won't be able to play your games. Games that are on your harddrive.

This is a form of DRM. Valve should do away with Steam's online DRM before they start talking.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]As long as you dont punish the people who buy your games, I'm cool with it. ThePlothole
But see, that's all DRM actually manages to do. It doesn't hinder the would-be pirates.

pretty much
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]

mirgamer

Nah The Witcher 2 is a better example 7 million thrown into that game and they got most of it back quickly, such a high quality game with top of the line graphics.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Valve complaining about DRM??? Thats just too funny.

Pot, kettle, ext.

evilross
Yeah, pretty much. How many games require Steam nowadays?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Rather strange coming from the makers of Steam (which requires you to be online to play games you 'own'). I would call that 'aggressive DRM'. KC_Hokie

You have to manually configure your games for offline mode. So if your internet goes out and you aren't configured properly you won't be able to play your games. Games that are on your harddrive.

This is a form of DRM. Valve should do away with Steam's online DRM before they start talking.

I've never had to configure anything to play games in offline mode...
DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Guppy507

I've never had to configure anything to play games in offline mode...

Same here. Just click on Offline mode and you can play without Internet. I don't know about you guys but I never noticed that steam have DRM but Ubisoft....

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
He is right, even if Steam is its own form of (widely accepted) DRM.
As a result, I couldn't play DXHR. Seeing as "restart in offline mode" also needs an internet connection, I was helpless. Valve isn't as good as everyone thinks.starjet905
Haven't had that problem since Steam's flaky 2004 launch.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"]Get rid of publishers and 99% of the problems with the game industry are solved.ShadowDeathX

With Digital Distribution, there is no need for publishers. There can be a developer and gamer direct relationship. 99% of games aren't even publisher backed, so that stat is false.

true facts. Dev teams without publishers tend to mingle with their own gamer crowd more often, and dont feel pressured (or forced) to target a date or audience they dont want to.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

Nah The Witcher 2 is a better example 7 million thrown into that game and they got most of it back quickly, such a high quality game with top of the line graphics.

NoodleFighter

Good for them that they live in Poland.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pug-Nasty

[QUOTE="ThePlothole"][QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"] Publishers do fund the game, I agree. But if you take them out, developers will still be able to fund it themselves. All the profits of the game will be directed towards them as well.ShadowDeathX

You don't need tens of millions of dollars to develop a modern game.

No, just to develop a modern game that holds up to modern standards.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Rather strange coming from the makers of Steam (which requires you to be online to play games you 'own'). I would call that 'aggressive DRM'. KC_Hokie
Steam does not require you to be online to play their games.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

Icarian

What does that have to do with anything?

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]Indie games is a good example :> IF they make the game good (put some love into it) it will sell good for close to no production cost. :N30F3N1X

I'm not talking solely about indie games, I'm mainly talking about games made before this generation. Show this generation of noobs that graphics don't matter in making a good game ffs.

Debugging, playtesting, carefully polishing every aesthetic and functional element of your game... these things are not graphics, but they're still critical to a good game, and you have to pay someone to do them.
Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

[QUOTE="Icarian"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

topgunmv

What does that have to do with anything?

Average salaries are lower. For example average net salary in UK is almost four times bigger than in Poland. So to make The Witcher 2 in UK would cost probably around 20-25 million because of higher salaries alone. Not to mention that everything else costs more too.

Why do you think that companies like to move their businesses to China or other similar countries?

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

The only thing DRM does is make it feel like you don't own the games you buy.

I still blame pirates. PC games are cheaper than consoles and drop price quicker.

There is absolutely no reasoning with them and 9 out of 10 excuses they make are as lame as it gets, this goes for all media they copy.

I've said it a million times, I respect the guy "more" (but not much) who is honest enough to say they do it because they can to avoid paying, rather then the bs excuses.

The ones I hate are, we do it to fight the corperations, excpet the fat cats don't feel it because they just take it out on the little guy with cuts of some sorts.

And the best one "hey, they ern too much money", that's none of your effing business, they make good product, they make money from good product.

Just lousy self justifications.

Crap DRM comes because no one has a clue how to handle the situation.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Pug-Nasty"]

you still need some sort of publisher, valve isn't your normal publish but they provide a service for developers to market and deliver games to people. Publishers are necessary, and its funny valve talking about DRM, they have pretty strict DRM but they are able to make it more transparent to the user.