Valve: We're not PS3 developers

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snowboarder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 Snowboarder99
Member since 2006 • 5460 Posts

Valve is too lazy to learn how to program on PS3. They are too used to PC, and 360 software programming apparently has a very similar structure to PC. PS3 is just a big pain apparently. AvIdGaMeR444

Valve isn't lazy. It's just a huge waste of time. The Orange Box didn't have a large appeal on consoles. I personally loved it.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

[QUOTE="horrowhip"]Valve hates MS with a passionlowe0
Since when? You do know where most of Valve's founders made their start-up capital, right?

Gabe and most of the other people in Valve have said in interviews how they don't like MS.

And just look at their actions.. Steam Community is a giant **** you to MS...

Valve has repeatedly expressed how terrible a job MS has done with the GFW initiative. And why wouldn't Valve have at least gone ahead and slapped the GFW tag on their games unless they had some problem with MS? The facts are staring you in the face... if you choose to ignore them fine but the fact will still remain that Valve hates MS as a company.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#103 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

[QUOTE="horrowhip"]Valve hates MS with a passionlowe0
Since when? You do know where most of Valve's founders made their start-up capital, right?

plus valve did the 360 verson of the ornage box themselvs. they left EA to do the PS3 version which as we all know is terrible.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 horrowhip

[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="horrowhip"]Valve hates MS with a passionthegoldenpoo

plus valve did the 360 verson of the ornage box themselvs. they left EA to do the PS3 version which as we all know is terrible.

What does them doing it themselves have to do with them hating MS? They like MS's platforms but they hate MS as a company.

KrazyKev26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 KrazyKev26
Member since 2005 • 956 Posts

[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]Valve is too lazy to learn how to program on PS3. They are too used to PC, and 360 software programming apparently has a very similar structure to PC. PS3 is just a big pain apparently. horrowhip

Like I said before....

If you can name ONE dev who devotes as much time, energy and work into their games as Valve, who isn't Blizzard... Well.. they you can talk.

Too bad that is impossible.

Kojima Productions, Insomiac, Naughty Dog, Nintendo, Gran Turismo Makers( Forgot there name lol), Bioware.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 horrowhip
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]

[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]Valve is too lazy to learn how to program on PS3. They are too used to PC, and 360 software programming apparently has a very similar structure to PC. PS3 is just a big pain apparently. KrazyKev26

Like I said before....

If you can name ONE dev who devotes as much time, energy and work into their games as Valve, who isn't Blizzard... Well.. they you can talk.

Kojima Productions, Insomiac, Naughty Dog, Nintendo, Gran Turismo Makers( Forgot there name lol), Bioware.

no... None of them are on the level of Valve.

Valve is the company that completely scrapped TF2 2 times just so they could get it right. They also scrapped HL2's original design. And both episodes so far have experienced the same things as above...

The only company that does stuff like that other than Valve for the sake of quality is Blizzard... Sure, games get scrapped by publishers or get scrapped because the games suck. But Valve and Blizzard take it to an entirely different level... they scrap games that are AAA games because they don't feel it is as good as it could be... And they just throw away thousands of hours of work and millions of dollars just so they can make the best game possible. Other developers don't do that.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#107 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts
All I want from Valve is Episode 3.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="KrazyKev26"][QUOTE="horrowhip"]

[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]Valve is too lazy to learn how to program on PS3. They are too used to PC, and 360 software programming apparently has a very similar structure to PC. PS3 is just a big pain apparently. horrowhip

Like I said before....

no... None of them are on the level of Valve.

Valve is the company that completely scrapped TF2 2 times just so they could get it right. They also scrapped HL2's original design. And both episodes so far have experienced the same things as above...

The only company that does stuff like that other than Valve for the sake of quality is Blizzard... Sure, games get scrapped by publishers or get scrapped because the games suck. But Valve and Blizzard take it to an entirely different level... they scrap games that are AAA games because they don't feel it is as good as it could be... And they just throw away thousands of hours of work and millions of dollars just so they can make the best game possible. Other developers don't do that.

I'd actually say Polyphony does the same thing. I'll disagree with Kojima and Insomniac and Naughty dog, yeah, but Polyphony takes foooreeeevvvveeeerrrr getting things 'right' for their purposes, and usually end up leaving out a bunch of stuff in the end anyway. But Polyphony is inhouse Sony, sooo yeah. lol.
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 horrowhip

I'd actually say Polyphony does the same thing. I'll disagree with Kojima and Insomniac and Naughty dog, yeah, but Polyphony takes foooreeeevvvveeeerrrr getting things 'right' for their purposes, and usually end up leaving out a bunch of stuff in the end anyway. But Polyphony is inhouse Sony, sooo yeah. lol.Makari

I suppose. But it is also slightly different circumstances for a racing games' development...

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="Makari"] I'd actually say Polyphony does the same thing. I'll disagree with Kojima and Insomniac and Naughty dog, yeah, but Polyphony takes foooreeeevvvveeeerrrr getting things 'right' for their purposes, and usually end up leaving out a bunch of stuff in the end anyway. But Polyphony is inhouse Sony, sooo yeah. lol.horrowhip

I suppose. But it is also slightly different circumstances for a racing games' development...

yeah, possibly. Bethesda seems like they would also do the same thing if they could, but the scope of their games makes it nearly impossible and they're always doomed to be ambitious buggy RPG's with lots of filler NPCs. the elder scrolls games have been on 'a once every 5 years pattern' since the 90's, which is a pretty long time when you think about it. :)
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts
I read somewhere about how the PS2 was designed to replace the PC and that is why Microsoft stepped in the create the Xbox. Since Valve is primarily a PC game developer it could be surmised that they're protecting their investment. This is just speculation though, in the meantime I'm going to look for that article and post it. :)
dd2005nian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 dd2005nian
Member since 2005 • 764 Posts

valve favor of DX flatform, but ps3 is opengl based, and hard to develop for.nowadays, only few devs stick to opengl.

mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 mentzer
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts

Valve lost many customers because of the PS3-EA debacle.

Me included.

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againxxThyLordxx

they cant develop for 360 as well properlymingo123

I thought they did a good job with The Orange Box. imo, T.O.B sucked hard, after all the hype about how Half-Life is the best FPS. I foolishly fell for it and bought it. I returned it the next day.

EA did the TOB port.

yeah but the game itself still sucked. imo, everything about the game was crap. enemies, characters, shooting, I just did not like the game personally. the only thing I liked about the game was the music, 'Sector Sweep' lol, I have it on my walkman.

Well, there's no accounting for taste, I guess. As long as there's another generic console FPS with crappy controls I guess this guy'll be just fine

Harrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Harrick
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Me included.

mentzer

More your loss then Valves. Not their fault EA botched a great game offering. Also not their fault that the PS3 is more of a pain to develop for then it's worth sometimes.

mentzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 mentzer
Member since 2007 • 1242 Posts
[QUOTE="mentzer"]

Me included.

Harrick

More your loss then Valves. Not their fault EA botched a great game offering. Also not their fault that the PS3 is more of a pain to develop for then it's worth sometimes.

OF course it's their fault, they handed the port over to EA.

And Valve worked on a much harder to dev for system before, so that is a cop out excuse.

tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts
I love Valve, but seriously, they are quite lazy. I mean, take Episode 3, I can wait for it, its been 8 months since Episode 2, and we have NO info on it. It probably wont come out till Mid 2009, its using the same engine as the other games, and its going to probably be 5 hours long like the other episodes, seriously.....
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#118 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts

You guys do know that Valve didn't hand EA the port, EA asked..... right?

Valve didn't care about the PS3 and they weren't thinking of porting.....

whackedjob213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#119 whackedjob213
Member since 2006 • 2103 Posts
Can somebody tell me what the big thing about Half Life is. I bought Orange Box beat all of the games because my buddy told met hey kicked ass. They were all short and were graphically unispiring (I'll give Valve a freebie on that as it's an older game), the highly touted physics engine showed several signs of being good but was just as often felling broken. The shooting was luckluster and I felt like I was shooting them with water. And maybe I just suck but are there no headshots. All in all it's an okay shooter that has no real redeaming qualities and also Portal is super overated.
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Kind of old...

c02z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 c02z
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts

There's a very straightforward reason why Valve doesn't develop for the PS3.

When Valve changed up their corporate architecture during the development of the first Half-Life and created the 'cabal system' that they use to create their games, one of the things they made sure to focus on was efficiency. They didn't want to dedicate engineers to projects that would take months to create and then only be used in a small part of the game, because that doesn't make much sense in terms of time or finances.

I'd suspect that developing for the PS3 is a similar thing. I'm pretty sure Gabe mentioned this reasoning during some earlier rant, but he basically said that learning to develop for the PS3 isn't a skill that's applicable anywhere else. All the developers at Valve know how to program a PC, and therefore, by extension, can make 360 games. But if Valve wanted to develop for the PS3, they'd have to spend months learning the machine, and when they were done, those skills would only be useful as long as they were making PS3 games. Once they stop making PS3 games, all those months are wasted.

Considering that Valve is already sitting on a huge pile of money from Steam and their top-selling PC products, they probably just don't see the need to spend lots of time and money developing a skill-set that they won't use very much, when they could be spending those resources working on products that will return money faster.

sonicmj1
makes alot of sense. when think about it. you probably right
LibertySaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LibertySaint
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againDante2710
their excuse at the gamer devloper summmit was that they get little to ni gains for devloping on ps3, its practically a waste of money compared to the gain that they could be getting on just concentrating on 2 easier platforms that have the potential and more so then the ps3. they said they have messed around with the ps3 and didn't find at all what sony said at first but they did say it was powerful like the pc and 360.
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#123 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
Well I guess that gives you more reason to buy a PC and a PS3 instead of PC and 360...