Valve: We're not PS3 developers

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts

[spoiler] Valve's main marketer Doug Lombardi was on hand recently to show off the latest version of the awesome looking PC, 360 zombie shooter, Left 4 Dead. But PS3 is being left out of the loop.

Lombardi told us, "We're not PS3 developers - we're doing PC and 360 like with Orange Box. EA came to us and said 'Wow, Orange box was an incredible project, can we do a PS3 version?'"

So does that mean if it's a hit someone else (EA again, maybe?) could port it over to PS3? "Left 4 Dead doesn't have that guaranteed appeal yet - it's a new IP," Lombardi explained.

"If you mention a new Half-Life, people want to make as many versions of it as possible. If Left 4 Dead is big, then we may see a PS3 version later, or if and when we do a sequel, people may be more interested in that. [/spoiler]

SOURCE

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
And? We kinda knew that.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA again
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts
they cant develop for 360 as well properly
Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pietrooper

i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againDante2710

No, not EA! Ask someone else....Activision or Ubisoft, at least they don't totally **** up a PS3 port.

Except R6V2. Lulz ensued.

But Assassin's Creed was really good on PS3.

xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xxThyLordxx

i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againDante2710
they cant develop for 360 as well properlymingo123

I thought they did a good job with The Orange Box. imo, T.O.B sucked hard, after all the hype about how Half-Life is the best FPS. I foolishly fell for it and bought it. I returned it the next day.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pietrooper

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againxxThyLordxx

I thought they did a good job with The Orange Box. imo, T.O.B sucked hard, after all the hype about how Half-Life is the best FPS. I foolishly fell for it and bought it. I returned it the next day.

EA did the TOB port.

xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xxThyLordxx
[QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againPietrooper

EA did the TOB port.

yeah but the game itself still sucked. imo, everything about the game was crap. enemies, characters, shooting, I just did not like the game personally. the only thing I liked about the game was the music, 'Sector Sweep' lol, I have it on my walkman.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againPietrooper

No, not EA! Ask someone else....Activision or Ubisoft, at least they don't totally **** up a PS3 port.

Except R6V2. Lulz ensued.

But Assassin's Creed was really good on PS3.

lawl.....well i dont think anyone would volunteer......you know how EA is...
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
we already know valvue hates PS3. they like PC's and don't want to put the work in to figuring out the PS3
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

yeah but the game itself still sucked. imo, everything about the game was crap. enemies, characters, shooting,

xxThyLordxx

Although it is your opinion, you must be the only person I know who has called Half-Life 2's characters crap.
I would have found it OK if you were to say you didn't like them, but they're definitely not crap. They're well designed and superbly acted.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againxxThyLordxx

Well you really missed out. Half Life 2 is a really great game
opethpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 opethpwn
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
They don't even need to develop games for consoles anyway, they're doing fine right here on PC.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
We all know they hate PS3.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
didnt Valve mention how much they hated the ps3 when this gen started?
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
Why can't Valve and Epic just STFU, sheesh, I have to hear them bash every other console every time I read a newspiece even remotely related to them. You're Microsoft fanboys, we understand.
karram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 karram
Member since 2006 • 1682 Posts
We already know that Valve hates the PS3.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Why can't Valve and Epic just STFU, sheesh, I have to hear them bash every other console every time I read a newspiece even remotely related to them. You're Microsoft fanboys, we understand.Eponique

when did Epic take sides?

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

probably the upfront development cost. why would they want to do it when their main platform is the pc and the 360 is an easy transition. but for them to do ps3 development they would need to make a much bigger commitment. and since EA is willing to port for them it seems like it would make sense.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Why can't Valve and Epic just STFU, sheesh, I have to hear them bash every other console every time I read a newspiece even remotely related to them. You're Microsoft fanboys, we understand.Eponique

If you actually read the interview, you would know Valve were just answering a question when stating that they had no plans to develop for the PS3. They weren't bashing it the entire way though. :|
skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
we already know valvue hates PS3. they like PC's and don't want to put the work in to figuring out the PS3Ragashahs
I think that it is specifically OpenGL they have issues with. They seem to be DirectXwhores.
turaaggeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 turaaggeli
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

Personally, I don't give a sh*t since I play Valve games on the PC only, and will continue doing so. Valve started as a PC developer so their PC versions will always be superior to their console counterparts. No offence, but that's just the way it is.

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]

EA did the TOB port.

yeah but the game itself still sucked. imo, everything about the game was crap. enemies, characters, shooting, I just did not like the game personally. the only thing I liked about the game was the music, 'Sector Sweep' lol, I have it on my walkman.

nope, great game. you have to think in restrospect.. the game is not from last year.

By the way, TOB is not a game...it's a couple of games...

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Ouch! One of the biggest, most quality developers not liking your platform? Major blow to Sony.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#25 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

Well actually if it comes down to it their PC fanboys, but console wise they may be Microsoft fanboys. That's probably just because it's easier to code for (so we hear) and the only other option is the Wii, which really isn't an option.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
lol, this is old news if you saw Orange Box. I think it was obvious they are not good at PS3 developement.
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

lol, this is old news if you saw Orange Box. I think it was obvious they are not good at PS3 developement.darthogre

that was EA. valve doesn't do PS3 development..

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
If they don't want to move foward then there going to be in a position within the next couple of years where they will have to scramble to get the hang of Blu-Ray or just get out of gaming development. Blu-Ray will be the standard in a couple of years for PS3 and PC's (there already releasing the Blu-Ray drive for PC).
cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

If they don't want to move foward then there going to be in a position within the next couple of years where they will have to scramble to get the hang of Blu-Ray or just get out of gaming development. Blu-Ray will be the standard in a couple of years for PS3 and PC's (there already releasing the Blu-Ray drive for PC).jimm895

no it wont....Blue Ray wont be needed for PC games for many years...probably at least 5.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Valve just doesn't like the PS3 architecture. They haven't bashed the Wii. Their only issue is with the development process of the PS3.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Next time don't buy it on PS3. That version is far inferior.

mrjam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 mrjam0
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts
as many mentioed, this is old news. M$ needs some consoles exclusives anyway (yes i recodnized the pc)
Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
Can't blame them tbh.
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

If they don't want to move foward then there going to be in a position within the next couple of years where they will have to scramble to get the hang of Blu-Ray or just get out of gaming development. Blu-Ray will be the standard in a couple of years for PS3 and PC's (there already releasing the Blu-Ray drive for PC).jimm895

Straight out the sony fanbook.

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pietrooper

[QUOTE="jimm895"]If they don't want to move foward then there going to be in a position within the next couple of years where they will have to scramble to get the hang of Blu-Ray or just get out of gaming development. Blu-Ray will be the standard in a couple of years for PS3 and PC's (there already releasing the Blu-Ray drive for PC).CreepyBacon

Straight out the sony fanbook.

While Blu-ray may become Standard, it's just another form of disc. It's not anything to do with developing and will be as easy for developers to switch over as from CD to DVD, the problem with the PS3 is the Cell for development, not the blu-ray.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#36 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
No much of a Wii developer either, eh? Oh wait, they want to make some kid games. Damn, I stand corrected. :| :lol:
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

There's a very straightforward reason why Valve doesn't develop for the PS3.

When Valve changed up their corporate architecture during the development of the first Half-Life and created the 'cabal system' that they use to create their games, one of the things they made sure to focus on was efficiency. They didn't want to dedicate engineers to projects that would take months to create and then only be used in a small part of the game, because that doesn't make much sense in terms of time or finances.

I'd suspect that developing for the PS3 is a similar thing. I'm pretty sure Gabe mentioned this reasoning during some earlier rant, but he basically said that learning to develop for the PS3 isn't a skill that's applicable anywhere else. All the developers at Valve know how to program a PC, and therefore, by extension, can make 360 games. But if Valve wanted to develop for the PS3, they'd have to spend months learning the machine, and when they were done, those skills would only be useful as long as they were making PS3 games. Once they stop making PS3 games, all those months are wasted.

Considering that Valve is already sitting on a huge pile of money from Steam and their top-selling PC products, they probably just don't see the need to spend lots of time and money developing a skill-set that they won't use very much, when they could be spending those resources working on products that will return money faster.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

we already know valvue hates PS3. they like PC's and don't want to put the work in to figuring out the PS3Ragashahs

you mean the money?

Work = money. It costs money to work

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

Um blu-ray isn't the issue here its just a freaking storage medium. The issue is they will have to rebuild the source engine from the ground up using a completely different API (OpenGL) and on completely different hardware. EA tried it and they failed miserably.

Porting code to the 360 platform is easy, with PS3 you really cant port you have to write a whole different engine.

thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts

that would just add insult to injury.

Lebron181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lebron181
Member since 2008 • 837 Posts

[QUOTE="Eponique"]Why can't Valve and Epic just STFU, sheesh, I have to hear them bash every other console every time I read a newspiece even remotely related to them. You're Microsoft fanboys, we understand.lawlessx

when did Epic take sides?

Everything Revolves Around Money

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I don't see Left4Dead being that popular on 360.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts

I don't see Left4Dead being that popular on 360.foxhound_fox
I agree. this looks more like a PC kind of game. I mean TF 2 only has a strong community on PC. The console community sucks big time. Plus this game to me just doesn't sound like it works for consoles, I dunno.

However if it did come to PS3 get someone else. OB on PS3 sucked hard. Terrible port. I just can't believe who thought the places for loading points was a good idea? Sometimes I'd have to walk through a load screen in the middle of battle, or in empty places where then an enemy spawns in front of me from nowhere (loaded from next area?) and then get hit just to be pushed back and wait for the load again.

Ughh... terrible port and controls of the SIXAXIS were expected of any PS3 game. (Why did I rent it again? )

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts

LOL wut?

MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
[QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]i still dont get why valve wont do any projects on the ps3....ohh well...maybe ps3 owners will get a port from EA againMadExponent

LOL wut?

Oh nm you got the PS3 version. Ew....

beinss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 beinss
Member since 2004 • 1838 Posts
[QUOTE="Pietrooper"][QUOTE="xxThyLordxx"]

EA did the TOB port.

While i dont think HL2 was terrible i didnt think it was anywhere near the best FPS game ever. Maybe back in its time. But not now. Its an ok game, feels like a relatively old Pc game withbetter graphics. There was a serious lack of sound.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
Valve is really the bastion of PC Gaming, along with Blizzard. There are only 150 people that work at Valve, that's not very many people. They not only have to co-develop games like Left4Dead, but the next HL episode and run STEAM. The PS3 has proved it's difficult to dev for compared to the 360, so this shouldn't surprise anyone.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

valve doesn't like to try new things

i guess they don't really want to figure out the cell or how to program for the ps3

armagon9177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 armagon9177
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I have heard John Carmack saying that the PS3 dev kits just don't have good tools. Thats the guy behind the tech that made the very first 3D games HoverTank 3D, Doom, Wolfenstein. If the creators of the first person shooter with all their technical genius with game engines don't like the PS3 as a game development environment then I can't really blame Valve. There have been issues where there is no debugger to tell you why something isn't working in the game as there is on 360. You just have to already know it. So blame Sony and respect Valve for at least saying theres a problem for us this is why we aren't developing for this console. At least they're being truthful with us. We need more of that.

Many game devs have said PS3 is really hard to develop for. As for people not liking the Orange Box. Wow. I get it if you don't like first person shooters. But the games in there are fantastic. Half Life 2 came out in 2004 so its 4 yrs old already and episode 2 is an expansion pack of sorts. So if you were looking for Gears of War or something then sorry. It may not be as pretty bt its got a solid story and speaking of story it was the first Half Life back in 1998 that brought story into first person shooters. It moved us away from being the DOOM guy just mowing down enemy after enemy searching for the red key and exiting on to the next level. So next time you are enjoying a story in a first person shooter know that Valve did it first. I've played all the good console first person shooters out there and if you started with the first Half Life then you know how great these games really are. Also Half Life 2 and the episodes have the most believable characters in a game ever. The technology they created is being used to help autistic kids.

Mayeb some of you are also disappointed with the Orange Box because there are many things in there you have seen done before in other games. Well these guys did it first. HDR, High Dynamic Range lighting was first done with Source. Problem is that those of you stuck behind your consoles and not into PC gaming come here with no knowledge of what came before and think that your recent console game is groundbreaking when its been done better before. Go hit up Steam and play the first Half Life. Look past the graphics as its 10 yrs old but is still better then 90 percent of the games released today. Playstation 3 is just a shiny black limited PC anyway so why would they focus on developing for it when they're happy with PC which will always be the best platform. Consoels are only emulating waht the PC has been doing for years. My god you might have to grow a brain to build one that plays games well though. shocking!

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I don't see Left4Dead being that popular on 360.foxhound_fox

Yeap, me neither. Half-Life 2 and such games aren't as respected on the 360 as they are on the PC. The priorities are a little different. Console players want production values, cheap thrills, and simple gameplay. PC games tend to put story, atmosphere, and gameplay higher up on the list.

I don't blame Valve for not putting effort into a PS3 version. It's a lot of effort to deliver a game that only a minority will appreciate.