Vagrant Story on PSN this Thursday + FFXIII Announcement Hints

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Cool. I wanted to check this game out but did not feel like going on Ebay. This is great news.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

[QUOTE="-Oath"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

What is this? It seems like no one has actually played this beast of a game. Such a underappreciated gem, play it people!!!!

hakanakumono

It was one of Squares overlooked gems from what I hear. I surprisingly dont know one person who has played it, and many of my friends were JRPG heads during the PS1 gen.

There were so many JRPGs released by Square back then and people likely bought another game instead.

FF IX was rleased around the same time. Your probably right.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
finally i get to play it. i can put it on my psp too right?
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 -Oath

Oath: Xenogears. Just trust me. ;)

hakanakumono

Best game youve ever played, you told me XD.

Im almost there.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rza_rectah
Member since 2005 • 3959 Posts

To bad I have this on my psp. WTF where is ff 9, xenogears, re2/3, dino crisis, legend of the dragoon and so on.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Personally, I believe Vagrant Story was developed by the best team in Square before they turned Nomura-rehash. Its also one of the best RPGs to ever hit PS1 (definitely in the top 5) Its got my money.

Blue-Sky

Yes Team 4 was amazing, I really wish Matsuno didn't leave Square during the development of FFXII.

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

finally i get to play it. i can put it on my psp too right?funsohng

Yeah. I dont even think you need to use a PS3, you can just get it straight from the PS Store from your PSP. I think.

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 -Oath

finally i get to play it. i can put it on my psp too right?funsohng

Correct.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

-Oath

Im almost there.

No sir. Just best game ever. Everytime I think of Xenogears I feel all warm and cozy. :)
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

There were so many JRPGs released by Square back then and people likely bought another game instead.

hakanakumono

I still have quite a few SE games to get through but so far VS is my absolute favourite. It felt the most polished to me. I only have minor complaints, some are even nit picky. Bah, I need to go play it again.

Sigh, this adds one more to my Playstation backlog.

Persona 2, Persona 2 Batsu, Vagrant Story

I'm so close to completing my PS1 collection!

Alright, out of curiousity. Next PS1 game i should play: Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean: Second Story, Xenogears, Final Fantasy 9, or Crono Cross. I'll lett you guys pick. Since I'm nearly done FF4 and Metroid Prime 3 I need something else to play.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"]finally i get to play it. i can put it on my psp too right?Kahuna_1

Yeah. I dont even think you need to use a PS3, you can just get it straight from the PS Store from your PSP. I think.

Yeah, you can.
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 -Oath

[QUOTE="-Oath"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

RedruM_I

Im almost there.

No sir. Just best game ever. Everytime I think of Xenogears I feel all warm and cozy. :)

Im guessing Xenogears fell to the same fate Vagrant Story has. Hardly anyone has played it or talks bout it, but people who do praise it to heaven and back.

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 RedruM_I

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

I still have quite a few SE games to get through but so far VS is my absolute favourite. It felt the most polished to me. I only have minor complaints, some are even nit picky. Bah, I need to go play it again.

ActicEdge

Alright, out of curiousity. Next PS1 game i should play: Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean: Second Story, Xenogears, Final Fantasy 9, or Crono Cross. I'll lett you guys pick. Since I'm nearly done FF4 and Metroid Prime 3 I need something else to play.

I only played Chrono Cross and Xenogears from those you listed. Chrono Cross was nice but I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it, I'll rather play Chrono Trigger anyday. Xenogears, simply put, is the best game ever made.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

RedruM_I

I only played Chrono Cross and Xenogears from those you listed. Chrono Cross was nice but I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it, I'll rather play Chrono Trigger anyday. Xenogears, simply put, is the best game ever made.

So one vote for gears. I gess I should ask which is the shortest since I really don't have much time.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="-Oath"]

It was one of Squares overlooked gems from what I hear. I surprisingly dont know one person who has played it, and many of my friends were JRPG heads during the PS1 gen.

-Oath

FF IX was rleased around the same time. Your probably right.

And Chrono Cross. And a ton of other games. The late 90s (including 2000) were really big for playstation so there were a lot of games for people to play and a few gems people could easily pass up on.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#66 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

What is this? It seems like no one has actually played this beast of a game. Such a underappreciated gem, play it people!!!!

ActicEdge

I played a bunch of it back when it came out, and a little bit of it again when I got it. I just don't have the time right now to go all the way through it.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Have you played these games yet or are you just asking us which one to replay?

RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 RedruM_I

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

So one vote for gears. I gess I should ask which is the shortest since I really don't have much time.

Xenogears is 80+ hours to do it "right", closer to 100 to do it "great" (without strategy guide). I don't really remember Chrono Cross but I believe it was shorter.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"][QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

ActicEdge

Xenogears was like 150 hours of me with maybe 10 of that spent on sidequests and idling. It's so long I have to take a break after a certain point every time I play it.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"] I only played Chrono Cross and Xenogears from those you listed. Chrono Cross was nice but I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it, I'll rather play Chrono Trigger anyday. Xenogears, simply put, is the best game ever made.RedruM_I

Xenogears is 80+ hours to do it "right", closer to 100 to do it "great" (without strategy guide). I don't really remember Chrono Cross but I believe it was shorter.

Chrono Cross is like 50 hours, but to be honest, it's mostly filler.

humber_matus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 humber_matus
Member since 2007 • 2101 Posts
LOL ANYONE WHO THINKS DEMON'S SOUL is hard hasn't played vagrant story yet ... very awesome game.
Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Rza_rectah

I wonder if Square will pull a FF 10 with that FF 13 announcement.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Rza_rectah
LOL ANYONE WHO THINKS DEMON'S SOUL is hard hasn't played vagrant story yet ... very awesome game. humber_matus
how can infinate combos be hard?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Have you played these games yet or are you just asking us which one to replay?

Which one to play next. I asked about length just because I don't think I can sit on an 80+ hour game with all the others I want to get through. I got through FF4 in like 35-40 hours or so with like 2 left. I'm leaning towards, valkyrie Profile, Xenogears or Star Ocean though. PS1 FF games eat way too much time to finish perfectly and I'd have to wait on CC since its not mine.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="humber_matus"]LOL ANYONE WHO THINKS DEMON'S SOUL is hard hasn't played vagrant story yet ... very awesome game. Rza_rectah

An infinite combo that does 3 damage on an enemy with like 400HP is rather useless. Not to mention if you are not properly equiped the bosses will eat you for breakfast. Also, the more you combo the more you increase your risk meter. Increased risk means decreased accuracy but increased chance or criticals. Just so you know, if you hit 50+ risk you'l never hit the enemy and your infinte combo will back fire rather fast.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="RedruM_I"] I only played Chrono Cross and Xenogears from those you listed. Chrono Cross was nice but I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it, I'll rather play Chrono Trigger anyday. Xenogears, simply put, is the best game ever made.hakanakumono

Xenogears was like 150 hours of me with maybe 10 of that spent on sidequests and idling. It's so long I have to take a break after a certain point every time I play it.

Yeah, I don't have time for that. Is there anything hitting maybe 40-50 hours? Anything past 70 is just too much for right now.

Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Rza_rectah

[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"][QUOTE="humber_matus"]LOL ANYONE WHO THINKS DEMON'S SOUL is hard hasn't played vagrant story yet ... very awesome game. ActicEdge

An infinite combo that does 3 damage on an enemy with like 400HP is rather useless. Not to mention if you are not properly equiped the bosses will eat you for breakfast. Also, the more you combo the more you increase your risk meter. Increased risk means decreased accuracy but increased chance or criticals. Just so you know, if you hit 50+ risk you'l never hit the enemy and your infinte combo will back fire rather fast.

yo dude, stop making me want to dust off my ps1 copy of this and remote just stop LMAO.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="Rza_rectah"] how can infinate combos be hard?Rza_rectah

yo dude, stop making me want to dust off my ps1 copy of this and remote just stop LMAO.

Can't help it. This is in my like top 10 games ever. Just Talking about it makes me all warm and fuzzy lol.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

Vagrant Story is completely awesome. I don't know why people can't make rpg's like that anymore. Awesome characters, awesome weapon upgrade system, awesome battle system, awesome enimies, awesome world.

I've said awesome eight times in this post. It's just damn awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#80 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Sweet, I still have to finish this game.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

The only thing that could make this announcement "huge" or "special"would be something on Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Other than that, all else is useless. Although I could use another pretty trailer or demo I guess.

Played Vagrant Story..............................................Thats all I got to say about that.

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts

Never played Vagrant Story so I'll pick this up eventually when I have more time. I heard about the FFXIII announcement yesterday and I can't wait for it. Hopefully it a release date and maybe they'll announce some kind of Collector's Edition.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#83 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

I remember seeing a copy of it at a store near me (which close a few months ago). Wasn't sure if I wanted to pay $50 for it, but this game does look awesome. Maybe I will actually get a PS1 game for my PSP.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
I bet it gets announced for PC or something. What could it possibly be.
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts

NICE. I never got to play Vagrant Story, and it was highly recommended. One step closer to Parasite Eve and Xenogears! Not to mention the main character is named ASHLEY RIOT, that is nearly as manly a name for a lead character as EDGE MAVERICK.

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ViewtifulScott

I only played Chrono Cross and Xenogears from those you listed. Chrono Cross was nice but I didn't like it as much as everyone else seems to like it, I'll rather play Chrono Trigger anyday. Xenogears, simply put, is the best game ever made.RedruM_I
You aren't alone, believe me. Cross is widely regarded as an inferior game to Trigger, due to the larger cast coming at the direct cost of character development. I mean sure, you have way more party members, but by the end game you couldn't care less about any of them. Even Kid was a big fat "meh" for me. Good enough game, but it should have been a stand alone title, as a sequel, it's a travesty, especially with the half baked connections to Trigger that were altered or abandoned just before release. (Guile doesn't have pointy ears, black magic, and a floating action as his running animation for nothing, he was supposed to be Magus in disguise)

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
aw hell yes!
ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ViewtifulScott
That aside, it would be SUPER ballsy of SE to pull a FFX and release this stateside in the last two or three days of the year. I still remember that, back then I had no internet connection, so i was just walking through the game section at Target, wistfully looking at the empty Xbox and GC cases, (should've reserved those systems) then I glance at the PS2 game case. BAM FFX. I had a nerdgasm.
aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts

Awesome news. Now we just need a few more of those old Squaresoft classics. Preferably: Xenogears, Chrono Cross, Saga Frontier, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, Final Fantasy VIII, and Final Fantasy IX.

double_heist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 double_heist
Member since 2005 • 2402 Posts
Unfortunately, Vagrant Story is coming to the PSN EU only (at the moment). I wish they'd release it in the US soon.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

Everybody better buy Vagrant Story or I will personally do something you all wish I wouldn't. Amazing game, beats the ever loving **** out of any FF game I've played, that's for sure.

ActicEdge

I never played the game but I will buy this when it comes out, how much will it cost?

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

I still have my ps1 plugged in, not getting it.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

Now I can play the game w/out using my whole memory card for trunk space!! whooohooo!!

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#94 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I played it recently on PS1 and I'm afraid I felt it hasn't aged well.
Rza_rectah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Rza_rectah
[QUOTE="Rockman999"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

Everybody better buy Vagrant Story or I will personally do something you all wish I wouldn't. Amazing game, beats the ever loving **** out of any FF game I've played, that's for sure.

I never played the game but I will buy this when it comes out, how much will it cost?

prolly 9.99 but thats worth every penny microplay was selling it for 50 bucks a year ago.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#96 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

An excellent game, but damn was it hard. the chain system takes a while to get used to, its main reason why i want to play demons souls it reminded me of VS

corndawg69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 corndawg69
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts

I think i just peed myself, me and a buddie at work were just talking about Vagrant story and how awsome it would be released opn psn.

This is AWSOME news :D

doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
my godd. . im getting that for sure.. i sold my original copy years back ( the shame )
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I was playing Vagrant Story on my PSP a couple of weeks ago. While the graphics do look a bit dated, it's still a fantastic game with a beautiful story. I even played them side by side with the PS1 version, and I gotta say, it does look quite a bit better on the slick PSP screen. :D (P.S. Don't ask how I was playing it a couple of weeks ago, and no, I did nothing illegal :x )
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#100 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'll probably have to give this game a download/purchase. I missed out on just about every PS1 JRPG since I didn't get hooked onto the genre until the late PS2 years, so I'm always on the look out for those classics.