(Updated) Harada: Tekken x Street Fighter "put in storage," still hopeful development will resume.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Update:

Harada then elaborated through TwitLonger:

I'm sorry, this is the second time* I've misled you by the way the subtitles were written and worded

(*Last time, We had another misunderstanding

--> https://twitter.com/HaradasBar/status/1405774390831181824 )

About this case.

https://youtu.be/kRD5RVADauU?t=1283

First of all, at around 21 minutes and 25 seconds, he says "(ima tomete masuyo)" which means "It’s pending state," similar to "pause" and This is the same word we have been talking about before.

So, "up to 30% of the development was in progress, but now it is still pending". This is still the status of the project.

Next we are talking about "Artist Collaboration" starting at minute 22. This is a story about how we had a famous artist draw a certain illustration for us during the development of TK x SF (TEKKEN also has illustrations in collaboration with famous artists, something like that). I say "Okura-iri ni nattan dayo na" in Japanese about this illustration collaboration.

For some reason, the meaning of the word "Okura-iri" is "Project died", but the original meaning of "Okura-iri" is "be shelved" or "put in storage".

Contracts with artists and collaborators outside of development are subject to terms and conditions, including duration, so we do not own the rights to them indefinitely.

So, this one has been put in storage for now.

You can see that the original Japanese and the English subtitles give a very different impression (so people who can hear Japanese are not particularly interested in this topic thing).

In any case, the status is not much different from the status I told you about before. Well, the fact that the status has not changed is not a nice thing for us and for you.

We are still hopeful that TKxSF will resume development when the opportunity arises. However, such a title cannot be moved just for the convenience of one company in terms of marketing and branding, and it also affects each other's development resources.

For now, we are just waiting for the right opportunity.

This is sometimes a problem because it is very difficult to translate, including my way of speaking, and also because it is impractical for me to do all the subtitle checking for this volume.

In this article, I am writing my own English, but I may have made some mistakes.

If there is anything you don't understand, let's talk again sometime.

So, there is still some hope this thing might see light of day. Seems like a slim one, though, as it seems to be indefinitely on hold.

Original post:

Source: Katsuhiro Harada's "Harada's Bar" video series, via TheGamer

Finally. We can put this thing to bed once and for all and move on. One less vaporware stuck in limbo.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

This makes me sad. 😔

I actually quite enjoyed Street Fighter X Tekken and was looking forward to seeing Namco’s take on it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

Honestly, good! Capcom tarnished any goodwill of that crossover, and we're lucky Nintendo and co salvaged what was left via Smash.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56104 Posts

Unfortunate! While the introduction of Akuma and Geese in T7 may not have made core Tekken fans happy, but it did give faith that TxSF could have been interesting.

(I bet they cancelled it for KoFxTekken)

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

Hum... were people seriously still waiting for it?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Honestly, good! Capcom tarnished any goodwill of that crossover, and we're lucky Nintendo and co salvaged what was left via Smash.

Capcom messed SFxT up really bad with the gem system. They filled the game with a lot of microtransactions with the gems that would effect the gameplay.

Kazuya being in Smash is a great idea and it will restore Bandai Namco's confidence in doing a crossover game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#7 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

Capcom's SFxT under-performed, selling 1.8M worldwide. While not a bad number, it's well below what SF and Tekken games usually sell. That must've put off Namco from developing TxSF.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

SFxT was not a good game anyway so it makes sense this would not be made.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Was it any good? Not that I cared, so I don't know. But fighting fans, fans of both even, how was it? Because 1.8M isn't bad, but I would imagine if the fans know it's good, and the devs know they did a good job, that to me should mean more when considering a sequel, I would imagine it takes time for people to catch on to new IPs.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Yikes I never even knew tekken vs SF came out was there any marketing for that game?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58964 Posts
@wonderwinner said:

SFxT was not a good game anyway so it makes sense this would not be made.

Weren't they selling gem powerups and shit?

**** that.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yeah the gem system was messed up, but the actual gameplay and how well they fit the Tekken characters into a SF game was phenomenal IMO. I loved the game for those reason and was really pissed at capcom for messing up the rest of the game with microtransaction BS.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

Harada followed up saying that it was a translation error and TKxSF was not actually canceled but was put on hold.

He explains in his TwiLonger:

"We are still hopeful that TKxSF will resume development when the opportunity arises. However, such a title cannot be moved just for the convenience of one company in terms of marketing and branding, and it also affects each other's development resources.

For now, we are just waiting for the right opportunity."

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Damn I was looking forward to that one..

On a different note I hope we get a Marvel vs. Capcom 4 at some point but they make it more like the 2nd one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

I really liked SF x Tekken. Would've liked to see another one.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#17  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

@st_monica:

Yeah, saw that while I had to go on my daily 4 hours of mandatory away time, during which I only have access to mobile internet.

Fifteen minutes to go. Will update thread when I get back to my PC. Cheers.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

@madrocketeer: Nice. Though I don't expect its development will resume anytime soon, it's still better than being completely abandoned.

I know how well the Tekken team can translate characters from other IPs such as Akuma (SF), Geese (Fatal Fury/KOF) and Noctice (FF15) in T7, so I'm optimistic about the quality of TKxSF when it will come out around 2030.

Avatar image for Amin_and_Azizah
Amin_and_Azizah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Amin_and_Azizah
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

I will never trust Harada