Unreal Engine is killing it. Epic is gonna rule next gen.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

At least 2 or 3 ZeniMax Studios are using the engine apparently.

Unannounced UE4 fantasy project is Arkane Austin's game.

Ringash (PC) - Diablo x DMC

Unreal mobile beauty.

Dislikes won't stop them.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I like that Epic is funding Remedy's next few games.

Hope that people will buy even more Fortnite skins so I can get my Alan Wake sequel.

Weird though that Bethesda studio's aren't all using ID tech. It's so great in DOOM and Wolfenstein. But then again Rage 2 didn't run on ID tech either... Odd.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: iD Tech games look and run great for the most part. So, it is most certainly capable. It may be a situation where certain developers are just more comfortable using other engines.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Quite strange that Bethesda isn't using Id Tech. My assumption is that Id Tech is designed for Id Software games and they aren't interested in maintaining and supporting it for other developers. That's what Carmack said in the past that maintaining engines for others is costly for a team like Id and they won't be able to work on research new technology.

Also, I would like developers or at least AAA developers to use Cryengine over UE4. UE4 has much better tools and streamlines workflows with excellent documentation and support however the core of the engine isn't as advanced or flexible like Cryengine. Texture streaming is one of its classic problems along with extra reliance on post process AA.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan said:

@R4gn4r0k: iD Tech games look and run great for the most part. So, it is most certainly capable. It may be a situation where certain developers are just more comfortable using other engines.

I think part of it is that ID Tech works great for linear games, but not for large open levels. That's why they went with Avalanche tech for Rage 2.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k
@pc_rocks said:

Quite strange that Bethesda isn't using Id Tech. My assumption is that Id Tech is designed for Id Software games and they aren't interested in maintaining and supporting it for other developers. That's what Carmack said in the past that maintaining engines for others is costly for a team like Id and they won't be able to work on research new technology.

Also, I would like developers or at least AAA developers to use Cryengine over UE4. UE4 has much better tools and streamlines workflows with excellent documentation and support however the core of the engine isn't as advanced or flexible like Cryengine. Texture streaming is one of its classic problems along with extra reliance on post process AA.

I think ID tech looks absolutely brilliant in most Bethesda games: DOOM, Eternal, Wolfenstein II, Dishonored 2, ...

Arkane also seems to switch engines a lot. They went with Cryengine for Prey, and I honestly think it's one of the best Cryengine games, that's not made by Crytek. And now they are going for Unreal Engine in their next game after Deathloop.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vaeh

@R4gn4r0k: @BassMan: @pc_rocks: Arkane is coming back to Unreal engine :D

Ghostwire Tokyo is also using Unreal Engine 4. TEW 1 was notoriously buggy and while 2 was amazing graphically, it's documented that they had to fork the engine to fit their needs. id & DICE are a talented team that built engines for their needs and know how to use it. UE4 is incredibly more diverse in the types of games it can power.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

There's no reason now that Remedy can't make Alan Wake 2 anymore hopeful we see it in a few years.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@warmblur said:

There's no reason now that Remedy can't make Alan Wake 2 anymore hopeful we see it in a few years.

wow for once i agree with you.

Alan wake was excellent game. it feel like Max payne but horror.

Alan wake 2 need to happened.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34604 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Meh. Too much running through dark woods with copy/paste enemies for my taste. Got bored fast. Interesting story though. Might slog through it sometime just to experience that part. Maybe.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:

Meh. Too much running through dark woods with copy/paste enemies for my taste. Got bored fast. Interesting story though. Might slog through it sometime just to experience that part. Maybe.

Its better than any third person horror game or resident evil for sure.

the atmosphere is incredible

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

@vaeh said:

Arkane Austin's game.

Day 1 buy

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vaeh

Everyone's a gangster until the real gangster arrives.

Superman is possible. Do it Rocksteady.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Hope that people will buy even more Fortnite skins so I can get my Alan Wake sequel.

Weird though that Bethesda studio's aren't all using ID tech. It's so great in DOOM and Wolfenstein. But then again Rage 2 didn't run on ID tech either... Odd.

With Tencent's money.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@ronvalencia said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

With Tencent's money.

As long as it gets me Alan Wake 2, I don't care

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vaeh

@ronvalencia said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

With Tencent's money.

Tencent is everywhere. I won't be surprised if Valve has Chinese investor.

Not all private companies announce/talk about having investors or who they are.

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 michaelmikado
Member since 2019 • 406 Posts

The reality is that unless other engines deliver what the UE5 engine delivers to developers it will literally be cost prohibitive for any other AAA develop to compete against UE5 games

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Remember, 11y olds and their mom's credit card made it possible. There's a good chance that UE5 wouldn't be as good as it is if EPIC didn't pring money through Fortnite.