Ultimate showdown 2: PS1 vs N64

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Ultimate showdown 2: PS1 vs N64 (101 votes)

PS1 all the way! 56%
N64, nintendo power! 44%

Vote and give your reasons why! It was a good time to be gaming during this gen!

• 
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#101  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

That's nice that you have your own opinions, but the fact that you listed Chrono Cross as influential casts doubt on your ability to distinguish importance from things that you like or find impressive.

My argument here is ... you calling some games as the most important yet you havent played them yourself. You just read it somewhere or you heard it. You dont have any personal things to say about them , you didnt experienced anything from what im talking about DAY 1 of their respective releases. And thats right there is the issue.

Oh be quiet. You have no idea what I have or haven't played. Assumptions doesn't equal an argument.

Mario 64 and OoT are more important than what you listed regardless of "personal feelings." Like I said, that doesn't mean the games you listed aren't important, they just aren't as important. That's nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Also, I have my doubts that you played any of these day 1 since you come across like a 13 year old.

the fact is i played all those games and you havent yet you trying to win an argument already lost bro.

When somebody just starts throwing around their assumptions as facts, they prove themselves to be both mentally challenged and out of arguments.

Honestly, you lost the argument when you listed Chrono Cross. Do you even know what influential means?

My assumptions ? I can tell you out of my personal experience why SM64 was a monster for 3D gaming ! You cant do that !!! hahahaha! Thats what im talking about yet you are the one calling this game the most important out of what ?! Read it ? Heard about it ? Do you even know what autisism is because thats how you acting right now !

Just let it be bro , whatever

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#102 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

That's nice that you have your own opinions, but the fact that you listed Chrono Cross as influential casts doubt on your ability to distinguish importance from things that you like or find impressive.

My argument here is ... you calling some games as the most important yet you havent played them yourself. You just read it somewhere or you heard it. You dont have any personal things to say about them , you didnt experienced anything from what im talking about DAY 1 of their respective releases. And thats right there is the issue.

Oh be quiet. You have no idea what I have or haven't played. Assumptions doesn't equal an argument.

Mario 64 and OoT are more important than what you listed regardless of "personal feelings." Like I said, that doesn't mean the games you listed aren't important, they just aren't as important. That's nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Also, I have my doubts that you played any of these day 1 since you come across like a 13 year old.

the fact is i played all those games and you havent yet you trying to win an argument already lost bro.

When somebody just starts throwing around their assumptions as facts, they prove themselves to be both mentally challenged and out of arguments.

Honestly, you lost the argument when you listed Chrono Cross. Do you even know what influential means?

My assumptions ? I can tell you out of my personal experience why SM64 was a monster for 3D gaming ! You cant do that !!! hahahaha! Thats what im talking about yet you are the one calling it most important ! Do you even know what autisism is or what ?

What does autism have to do with anything?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

My assumptions ? I can tell you out of my personal experience why SM64 was a monster for 3D gaming ! You cant do that !!! hahahaha! Thats what im talking about yet you are the one calling it most important ! Do you even know what autisism is or what ?

Because you jump arguments like rabbit so nothing ends up make sense. And because theres not one in a million for this to end up as a polite and logical argument , beleive what you want. Ok , fine. SM64 and OOT are THE important games of that era. Happy now ? Move on now , this is waste of time

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Because you jump arguments like rabbit so nothing ends up make sense. And because theres not one in a million for this to end up as a polite and logical argument , beleive what you want. Ok , fine. SM64 and OOT are the important games of that era. Happy now ? Move on now , this is waste of time

Autism is a pretty serious disorder that is difficult for people who have it to deal with, so you shouldn't use the term flippantly just to score points in a trivial back and forth about video games. You can't really complain about personal insults and then turn around and call someone autistic.

AlCapwnUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 AlCapwnUK
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

PS1 - one of the best consoles of all time. And the best of its generation

N64 - a bit of a mess with some of the best games of all time as with every nintendo console from this point on. Gamecube was the closest to achieving the broad support and catalogue of the SNES even if it was commercially unsuccessful. Whereas the N64 suffers from the alienation of many studios by Nintendo.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:

Because you jump arguments like rabbit so nothing ends up make sense. And because theres not one in a million for this to end up as a polite and logical argument , beleive what you want. Ok , fine. SM64 and OOT are the important games of that era. Happy now ? Move on now , this is waste of time

Autism is a pretty serious disorder that is difficult for people who have it to deal with, so you shouldn't use the term flippantly just to score points in a trivial back and forth about video games. You can't really complain about personal insults and then turn around and call someone autistic.

Ok im sorry if you got THAT offended and is not an act but talking about sore asses and stupidity and various shit is the same shit ( or agree about them even ) .. Anyways you start the shit then you play the victim over autism , aaalllright. Whatever , just move on. ( when someone else calling me names its "exactly" , when im calling you back " is something serious and you cant complain " ... this is a joke right? ) Anyways, i told you so , this is waste of time. Just move on.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Ok im sorry but talking about sore asses and stupidity and various shit is the same shit. You started this just dont play the victim. Anyways you start the shit then you play the victim , aaalllright. Whatever , move on.

You're the one that responded to me, so you don't really get to play the "you started shit" card.

Anyway, not trying to play the victim. Just telling you that you shouldn't talk about autism in such a flippant way. Considering what autistic people deal with, it's just not very classy to use it as an insult. I understand that this is SW and all, but let's have a little bit more maturity than going the "you're autistic" route. It doesn't matter that you call ME autistic, so much as you should have a little bit more tact and sensitivity about a disorder like autism. It's just not something to treat flippantly.

Not to mention that you were the first person to complain about personal attacks.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#108 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Lol this thread is too much.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#109 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19591 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

MGS1 specifically. And again being a media reaction MGS2, doesn't change that nothing Splinter Cell actually does traces back to either MGS1 or 2. Gameplay wise it's completely different, goal wise maybe some what similar, except Splinter Cell (before the recent shitty ones) aimed for more pure stealth where as MGS was exactly what it said it was "tactical espionage action".

Much of what Splinter Cell did can be traced back to MGS2, whether it's the aiming and cover mechanics, or the enemy AI design, or the night vision and thermal goggles, or the surveillance cameras, etc. Sure, Splinter Cell introduced its own innovations, improved on it in a lot of ways (but with worse AI), and brought a different feel and play style, but that doesn't change the fact that MGS2 was the basis for Splinter Cell, as Ubisoft themselves have already acknowledged.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:

Ok im sorry but talking about sore asses and stupidity and various shit is the same shit. You started this just dont play the victim. Anyways you start the shit then you play the victim , aaalllright. Whatever , move on.

You're the one that responded to me, so you don't really get to play the "you started shit" card.

Anyway, not trying to play the victim. Just telling you that you shouldn't talk about autism in such a flippant way. Considering what autistic people deal with, it's just not very classy to use it as an insult. I understand that this is SW and all, but let's have a little bit more maturity that going the "you're autistic" route. It doesn't matter that you call ME autistic, so much as you should have a little bit more tact and sensitivity about a disorder like autism. It's just not something to treat flippantly.

Not to mention that you were the first person to complain about personal attacks.

Really now ?! hahahaha !! ok , youre the victims ! At least i said sorry , and i didnt complained !!! I stated how you changed your "policy" and get offended when you were talking shit about others ( or agreeing even ) ! Anyways , move on. I knew this would end up out of topic and all . Move on now.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@AzatiS said:

Name me a single game that offered what MGS did in ALL aspects. A single one. Im waiting. Dont bring a PC game in here that release AFTER MGS . This is N64 vs PS1 isnt ? Stick to it butthurt sheep.

You reading too much WIKIPEDIA to justify your claims which i found pathetic ! Dont copy paste what you read there because you proving me right to my claim that you werent a gamer back then .. and if you havent the slightest experience of what you talking about ... just GTFO !!! haha ! :)

If you dont know what Tekken did better than VF then you should ask some arcade gamers or play yourself !!!!!!! Something i doubt you did as i said ... Its like saying what Street fighter 2 did better than SNK 2D fighters ...get a grip will you.

RE wasnt a multi also so **** off too fanboy. Time exclusive is still an exclusive more than multi... So when you were playing RE1 , PS users were playing RE2 and so forth. What you calling that ? Multi ? Im done with you , theres no way to have a decent argument with someone reading Wikipedia or is this kind of a fanboy.

Ok ok , PS1 had ZERO games that revolutionized nothing , brought nothing new to 3D era , all games were one of the same , nothing to wow about .... Only SM64 and Zelda were ... there you are ...happy now ? Now gtfo ! Im done with this ! Beleive what you want its all good

So wait, the fact that I cannot name a single MGS clone makes it revolutoary? WTF? If anything it means the opposite. If it was as revolutionary as you claimed, other stealth games would have walked in its steps and it's not the case.

So you're telling me I'm reading too much Wikipedia then you proceed to basically admit you have no idea what Tekken did and tell me to ask more knowledgeable people instead of responding?

Timed exclusive isn't an exclusive. Was Balld of Gay Tony and exclusive? No so you **** off. An exclusive is on a single platform or at least a single brand(PS3 to PS4 or GC to Wii). RE wasn't an exclusive.

Yeah keep being a big baby. So, what did MGS and all these so called revolutionary PS1 games brought? Crono Cross? You have to be joking.

@Jag85 Didn't know the original MGS had a cover system...

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By AzatiS

@Juub1990 said:
@AzatiS said:

Name me a single game that offered what MGS did in ALL aspects. A single one. Im waiting. Dont bring a PC game in here that release AFTER MGS . This is N64 vs PS1 isnt ? Stick to it butthurt sheep.

You reading too much WIKIPEDIA to justify your claims which i found pathetic ! Dont copy paste what you read there because you proving me right to my claim that you werent a gamer back then .. and if you havent the slightest experience of what you talking about ... just GTFO !!! haha ! :)

If you dont know what Tekken did better than VF then you should ask some arcade gamers or play yourself !!!!!!! Something i doubt you did as i said ... Its like saying what Street fighter 2 did better than SNK 2D fighters ...get a grip will you.

RE wasnt a multi also so **** off too fanboy. Time exclusive is still an exclusive more than multi... So when you were playing RE1 , PS users were playing RE2 and so forth. What you calling that ? Multi ? Im done with you , theres no way to have a decent argument with someone reading Wikipedia or is this kind of a fanboy.

Ok ok , PS1 had ZERO games that revolutionized nothing , brought nothing new to 3D era , all games were one of the same , nothing to wow about .... Only SM64 and Zelda were ... there you are ...happy now ? Now gtfo ! Im done with this ! Beleive what you want its all good

So wait, the fact that I cannot name a single MGS clone makes it revolutoary? WTF? If anything it means the opposite. If it was as revolutionary as you claimed, other stealth games would have walked in its steps and it's not the case.

So you're telling me I'm reading too much Wikipedia then you proceed to basically admit you have no idea what Tekken did and tell me to ask more knowledgeable people instead of responding?

Timed exclusive isn't an exclusive. Was Balld of Gay Tony and exclusive? No so you **** off. An exclusive is on a single platform or at least a single brand(PS3 to PS4 or GC to Wii). RE wasn't an exclusive.

Yeah keep being a big baby. So, what did MGS and all these so called revolutionary PS1 games brought? Crono Cross? You have to be joking.

Its all things combined that define what is revolutionary , evolutionary or innovative .. or all together. You know how many games theoritically were one of the 3 or all 3 together for home video gaming with this giant leap happened that era ? Many , so many that calling only 2-3 games as most important is a ridiculous claim . Thats what im trying to say. Im not here to say if some was more than the other or which is better game etc ...

Some people didnt have a clue why tekken was better than VF right in this topic ..and thought Tekken a mere copycat lol ... It was tekkens gameplay mechanics that made it innovative , evolutionary or revolutionary ( you name it , i dont care what of the 3 you want to call ) when tekken released only few months after VF ( means it was already in the makings when VF released )

Im not saying is bad to search for infos , im doing it , everyone doing it. But coming here , with ZERO experience of what you are talking about ( as many before you ) and talking like you actually know is kinda off. I can explain you why SM64 was revolutionary and what helped alot for that to be achieved , something i bet noone told you before or you wont find it written.

No i asked you a question, dont ask back to avoid answering. And dont stick to the word revolutionary so much , theres innovation and evolution as well in games where those things happened because of the huge leap to 3D from 2D. That opened ALOT of possibilities for new things , both gameplay mechanics UNSEEN before ( theres your evolution and innovation as well as revolution ) AND graphics . So by logic alone there were myriad of games that were something of the 3 or all 3. Its common sense.

Thats why im telling you and the others before you that its different to experience that era than talking about it some years later ... When transition happened almost every game was better than the other and small or big evolutions and revolutions were happening again and again. You cant understand that if you werent a gamer back then , you didnt witness the impact of every title and see the video gaming progress each and every year. It was an insane generation ( personally my favorite ) for that particular reason. Every single console was delivering amazing 3D games , amazing new gameplay experiences , amazing new worlds unseen before , level designs , graphic designs , some of the most memorable games and characters alike let alone some of the best games ever made ... Because of that big leap and constantly evolution , innovation and revolution because of that leap !

For that particular reason , calling 2-3 games the most important wont work for me when we are talking for that particular generation . Its my opinion , you can disagree all you want but that wont change. I think many games were important , too many to be precise ( Saturns / PCs also ) that defined what we are playing right now.

As for RE series , were time exclusives again and again and again . Means they were exclusives for a X amount of time ...means they werent multiplatform for a year or 2 ....

If what im saying making me a big baby , so be it !

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Juub1990

@AzatiS said:

Its all things combined that define what is revolutionary , evolutionary or innovative .. or all together. You know how many games theoritically were one of the 3 or all 3 together for home video gaming with this giant leap happened that era ? Many , so many that calling only 2-3 games as most important is a ridiculous claim . Thats what im trying to say. Im not here to say if some was more than the other or which is better game etc ...

Some people didnt have a clue why tekken was better than VF right in this topic ..and thought Tekken a mere copycat lol ... It was tekkens gameplay mechanics that made it innovative , evolutionary or revolutionary ( you name it , i dont care what of the 3 you want to call ).

Im not saying is bad to search for infos , im doing it , everyone doing it. But coming here , with ZERO experience of what you are talking about ( as many before you ) and talking like you actually know is kinda off. I can explain you why SM64 was revolutionary and what helped alot for that to be achieved , something i bet noone told you before or you wont find it written. Because i experienced it myself thats why.

No i asked you a question, dont ask back to avoid answering. And dont stick to the word revolutionary so much , theres innovation and evolution as well in games where those things happened because of the huge leap to 3D from 2D. That opened ALOT of possibilities for new things , both gameplay mechanics UNSEEN before ( theres your evolution and innovation as well as revolution ) AND graphics . So by logic alone there were myriad of games that were something of the 3 or all 3. Its common sense.

Thats why im telling you and the others before you that its different to experience that era than talking about it some years later ... When transition happened almost every game was better than the other and small or big evolutions and revolutions were happening again and again. You cant understand that if you werent a gamer back then , you cant witness the impact of every title and see the progress .

RE series were time exclusives again and again and again . Means they were exclusives for a X amount of time , so what ? Even that is hard to understand ?

''Gameplay mechanics''. Lol pretty generic bullshit. Admit it, you've either never played it or you're not versed enough in fighting games to explain what made it innovative.

The rest of your post is just rubbish. I explained why I think Goldeneye and SM64 were innovative(far more than any PS1 game), you have yet to say anything worthwhile. ''Gameplay mechanics'' lol, elaborate please.

Top tier N64 game shat all over top tier PS1 games. OOT, Mario 64, Goldeneye or Rogue Squadron were a lot better than anything done on the PS1 in their respective genres and were far more important and revolutionary.

PS1 had many more quality games that weren't quite up to par with the top dogs of the N64. Crash Bandicoot, Vagrant Story, Grandia and a bunch of other games were excellent but didn't have nearly as much impact as other N64 games. Overall the PS1 was a mix of high quality and quantity whereas the N64 was a mix of very high quality and low quantity. It had some good games like Turok and the Wrestling games but its library was too thin.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By AzatiS

@Juub1990 said:
@AzatiS said:

Some people didnt have a clue why tekken was better than VF right in this topic ..and thought Tekken a mere copycat lol ... It was tekkens gameplay mechanics that made it innovative , evolutionary or revolutionary ( you name it , i dont care what of the 3 you want to call ).

Im not saying is bad to search for infos , im doing it , everyone doing it. But coming here , with ZERO experience of what you are talking about ( as many before you ) and talking like you actually know is kinda off. I can explain you why SM64 was revolutionary and what helped alot for that to be achieved , something i bet noone told you before or you wont find it written. Because i experienced it myself thats why.

Thats why im telling you and the others before you that its different to experience that era than talking about it some years later ... When transition happened almost every game was better than the other and small or big evolutions and revolutions were happening again and again. You cant understand that if you werent a gamer back then , you cant witness the impact of every title and see the progress .

RE series were time exclusives again and again and again . Means they were exclusives for a X amount of time , so what ? Even that is hard to understand ?

''Gameplay mechanics''. Lol pretty generic bullshit. Admit it, you've either never played it or you're not versed enough in fighting games to explain what made it innovative.

The rest of your post is just rubbish. I explained why I think Goldeneye and SM64 were innovative(far more than any PS1 game), you have yet to say anything worthwhile. ''Gameplay mechanics'' lol, elaborate please.

Top tier N64 game shat all over top tier PS1 games. OOT, Mario 64, Goldeneye or Rogue Squadron were a lot better than anything done on the PS1 in their respective genres and were far more important and revolutionary.

PS1 had many more quality games that weren't quite up to par with the top dogs of the N64. Crash Bandicoot, Vagrant Story, Grandia and a bunch of other games were excellent but didn't have nearly as much impact as other N64 games. Overall the PS1 was a mix of high quality and quantity whereas the N64 was a mix of very high quality and low quantity. It had some good games like Turok and the Wrestling games but its library was too thin.

Lol , generic bullshit ?! You were the one questioned what Tekken brought in fighting genre didnt you ? And i answered what ! It revolutionized gameplay in 3D fighters by letting you choose with what part you gonna hit . You calling this generic bullshit ? That was innovation and evolution combined !! Thats what it was. You see how arrogant are you ?

I explained it to other guys as well that didnt have a clue about it some posts ago , now you know as well lol .... you want elaboration ! Like you go google your shit for SM64 and all , go search for other games as well. Its not that hard. Do that for PS1s games youll find plenty of info as well. Dont make me repeat myself over and over ....

You just dont understand my point but its ok , i understand where you coming from , dont worry. Its all good. As i said its my opinion , you dont have to agree with it. Its all good

Im glad you using words though as " not as much impact as " ( means they had an impact ) or " not as important as " ( means they were important ) which is my whole point to begin with.

As i said to another fellow , beleive what you want , have your own opinion its all good . Besides the games you mentioning are indeed revolutionary ...but let the people that witnessed the revolutions/evolutions or innovations with their own eyes have their own opinion as well and lets move on , this leads nowhere.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Jag85

@Juub1990 said:

Not a full cover system per se, but a basic cover mechanic, which MGS2 evolved into a full cover system.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#116 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

The situation then was like the situation now, the N64 was a great machine, had some great games, but didn't have nearly the kind of support the PS1 had in terms of games, and the PS1 certainly had numbers when it came to games to choose from, and like current day, you can basically get by playing most stuff on a PS4, PC, Xbox One, but you get a Wii U to play those games meant just for it, just as I did for the Wii, just as surely the case was for the GameCube.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Both consoles are amazing but PS1 had a massive selection/variety of top-tier games. The N64 had maybe 15 or so must have games but those few games had substantial impact on the industry. As a gamer I choose PS1 overall.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#118 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PS1 easily wins.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#119 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

PS1..Twisted Metal 1 and 2 , Resident Evil 1-3, Tomb Raider, Silent Hill,Crash Bandicoot,and about 1000 other games. N64 was ok,but the controller killed it for me.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

N64 purely for the fun we have playing 4 player split screen. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Snowboard Kids, Duke Nukem, Turok. Good times. I do love my PS1 though and it did offer more in terms of 1 player experiences. N64 still had the best 1 player games though IMO even though it didn't have nearly as many good ones.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@bulby_g said:

N64 purely for the fun we have playing 4 player split screen. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Snowboard Kids, Duke Nukem, Turok. Good times. I do love my PS1 though and it did offer more in terms of 1 player experiences. N64 still had the best 1 player games though IMO even though it didn't have nearly as many good ones.

I don't think I've ever come across another person that has a different console as their legendary multiplayer machine. You mentioning this reminds me how insanely long multiplayer sessions of Goldeneye would be. We were pretty hardcore about that game. Drop it down to -4 health and use a piece of cardboard to stop "screen looking" in multiplayer.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

@Heirren said:
@bulby_g said:

I don't think I've ever come across another person that has a different console as their legendary multiplayer machine. You mentioning this reminds me how insanely long multiplayer sessions of Goldeneye would be. We were pretty hardcore about that game. Drop it down to -4 health and use a piece of cardboard to stop "screen looking" in multiplayer.

Nothing ever really came close again for me. Perhaps this is because we are all busy with out lives now and don't have the spare time we did in those days. Playing online just isn't the same as all being in the same room either.

We used to spend entire days playing Goldeneye, sometimes with 10+ people doing tournaments haha. I'm quite glad games didn't log your playtime back then! 1 shot kills was pretty standard for us, even the karate chop was deadly in close quarters.

AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#123 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts

My brain voted PS1, my heart voted N64. Unfortunately for my heart, my brain commanded the body to click PS1.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Jag85

After looking through some of the arguments in this thread, I'm surprised PlayStation fans didn't counter Mario 64 with its big daddy, Jumping Flash! Sure, Mario 64 had revolutionary analog controls, third-person camera, and improved game design, but it was the PS1 game Jumping Flash that pioneered open-world 3D platforming. Mario 64 is still the more influential game overall, but Jumping Flash is to Mario 64 what Space Panic was to Donkey Kong, Pac-Land was to Super Mario Bros, Herzog Zwei to Dune II, Alone in the Dark to Resident Evil, Shenmue to GTA3, etc.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#125 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

n64 was the best system to play with your friends ever made

Smash bris

conkers

golden eye

perfect dark

mario kart

the list goes on and on

ps1 was better if you have no friends

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@Bikouchu35 said:

n64 had some classic titles, but otherwise the library and games were too simple which was obviously held back by the limited space on cartridge. SSB1 fun times.

ps1 on the other hand o.O

Games were too simple? What? lol

N64 was capable of larger 3D environments with games like Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Rogue Squadron, Majora, Perfect Dark, Conker etc...

The cartridges limited the use of video files, not 3D assets

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

PS1 without a doubt. One of my favorite systems of all time. So many great IPs created that gen.

N64 had a couple fun games as well but not nearly as many and I hated the controller.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Jag85 said:

After looking through some of the arguments in this thread, I'm surprised PlayStation fans didn't counter Mario 64 with its big daddy, Jumping Flash! Sure, Mario 64 had revolutionary analog controls, third-person camera, and improved game design, but it was the PS1 game Jumping Flash that pioneered open-world 3D platforming. Mario 64 is still the more influential game overall, but Jumping Flash is to Mario 64 what Space Panic was to Donkey Kong, Pac-Land was to Super Mario Bros, Herzog Zwei to Dune II, Alone in the Dark to Resident Evil, Shenmue to GTA3, etc.

Jumping flash is nothing like Mario 64. Mario 64 development dates back to Starfox.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

What did I enjoy more back then? PS1, by far, though Diddy Kong Racing and Mario made me wish I had a N64.

What do I enjoy more now? N64. I play SSB and Mario Kart with my roomates/friends all the time, but can't imagine going back to play any PS1 games, no matter how much fun I had with them when I was younger.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Jag85

@Heirren said:

Jumping flash is nothing like Mario 64. Mario 64 development dates back to Starfox.

The execution is different, but Mario 64 uses the same basic template as Jumping Flash: a free-roaming, open-world, 3D platformer, where you freely roam and jump around large, outdoor, green environments. As for Mario 64's development, I presume you're referring to Super Mario FX, which Argonaut said was just a codename for the Super FX chip, not an actual game in development.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Jag85 said:
@Heirren said:

The execution is different, but Mario 64 uses the same basic template as Jumping Flash: a free-roaming, open-world, 3D platformer, where you freely roam and jump around large, outdoor, green environments. As for Mario 64's development, I presume you're referring to Super Mario FX, which Argonaut said was just a codename for the Super FX chip, not an actual game in development.

Mario 64, along with Sunshine, are very unique amongst this platforming genre. The copycats never got the concept to begin with. I would not put Jumping flash in the same arena. 64 and Sunshine have omni-platforming mechanics. Design isn't held to linear structure.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Thunderdrone

@AzatiS said:

Listen fanboy ...

Whatever did SM64 to platformers and Zelda to action/adventures back then so did RE to survival/horror games and so MGS did to action military stealth games. You trying to compare thief with mgs when mgs is not just a stealth game , is not FPS , it had elements thief couldnt dream of AND you said it on your own ... thief released AFTER MGS ( lets not talk that Theif was a PC game and not a N64 one because i can counter Goldeneye with an AFTER game as well , with 2 letters that is )

So Tekken revolutionized 3D fighters and so Chrono cross and FF series the new era of 3D JRPGs and so Gran Turismo the simulation driving and silent hill and and and ...

And this "RE games werent exclusives" ... i mean lol , do i have to even explain what those games were for PS console ? When PS users were playing RE3 nemesis , N64 had their port of Resident evil 2 !! Thats what was happening. So you coming here and telling RE games were multi .. No they werent , they were time exclusives. So please .... Clearly shows that you werent a gamer back then ... RE series became synonym of PS , everything else was a mere port after a year or 2.

Anyways , to close this idiotic argument ... As much as SM64 was a pioneer for platformers so were other games for their respective genres. And most of those other games were coming from PS family either as exclusives or time exclusives. If platformers and FPS were more important for you so be it , im not against it ( though PC is the only way to go for FPS ) ... but saying SM64 and Zelda were more important that all other pioneers is ridiculous to even say it let alone believing it.

Resident Evil was on Saturn, PC and PSX. RE2 was on PSX, N64 and later DC and no one gives a shit about Nemesis. Who was also on PC and DC btw. Stop trying to paint Resident Evil as a Playstation series just because it was popular there and you fondly remember growing up playing it on a particular box. It doesnt matter if there was a year or two gap between port releases. Please

And the N64 didnt "pioneer platformers". It established the foundation for game camera and movement in 3D spaces with M64, 3D controls with the thumbstick, dedicated camera buttons with the C-buttons that would later be reproduced with a second stick on other consoles. The 3D targeting system STILL used today in a shitload of games, with OOT's Z-targeting. It also polished and popularized FPS controls and 4-player splitscreen gameplay on consoles and it introduced gaming to force feedback with the rumble pak.

Still, its funny how you downplay what Mario brought to the table by saying it just innovated platformers. Third person 3D gameplay in open spaces as you know it ows its core mechanics to Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. Regardless of genre.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Thunderdrone

@Jag85 said:

After looking through some of the arguments in this thread, I'm surprised PlayStation fans didn't counter Mario 64 with its big daddy, Jumping Flash! Sure, Mario 64 had revolutionary analog controls, third-person camera, and improved game design, but it was the PS1 game Jumping Flash that pioneered open-world 3D platforming.

Jumping Flash? hahaha

That game didnt pioneer anything. It dumped you in a 3D world with 2D gameplay as its template and it was a complete jankfest that got a free pass because 3D was a new and shiny thing.

Like Tomb Raider and its absolute dogshit controls, nothing in Jumping Flash was an influence in modern 3D gameplay. Fire up both games and tell me that Mario 64 and Jumping Flash have anything in common and which one resembles what was made standard since then.

I'm not even entertaining the idea that Mario 64 took ideas from JF.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By AzatiS

@Thunderdrone said:
@AzatiS said:

Listen fanboy ...

Whatever did SM64 to platformers and Zelda to action/adventures back then so did RE to survival/horror games and so MGS did to action military stealth games. You trying to compare thief with mgs when mgs is not just a stealth game , is not FPS , it had elements thief couldnt dream of AND you said it on your own ... thief released AFTER MGS ( lets not talk that Theif was a PC game and not a N64 one because i can counter Goldeneye with an AFTER game as well , with 2 letters that is )

So Tekken revolutionized 3D fighters and so Chrono cross and FF series the new era of 3D JRPGs and so Gran Turismo the simulation driving and silent hill and and and ...

And this "RE games werent exclusives" ... i mean lol , do i have to even explain what those games were for PS console ? When PS users were playing RE3 nemesis , N64 had their port of Resident evil 2 !! Thats what was happening. So you coming here and telling RE games were multi .. No they werent , they were time exclusives. So please .... Clearly shows that you werent a gamer back then ... RE series became synonym of PS , everything else was a mere port after a year or 2.

Anyways , to close this idiotic argument ... As much as SM64 was a pioneer for platformers so were other games for their respective genres. And most of those other games were coming from PS family either as exclusives or time exclusives. If platformers and FPS were more important for you so be it , im not against it ( though PC is the only way to go for FPS ) ... but saying SM64 and Zelda were more important that all other pioneers is ridiculous to even say it let alone believing it.

Resident Evil was on Saturn, PC and PSX. RE2 was on PSX, N64 and later DC and no one gives a shit about Nemesis. Who was also on PC and DC btw. Stop trying to paint Resident Evil as a Playstation series just because it was popular there and you fondly remember growing up playing it on a particular box. It doesnt matter if there was a year or two gap between port releases. Please

And the N64 didnt "pioneer platformers". It established the foundation for game camera and movement in 3D spaces with M64, 3D controls with the thumbstick, dedicated camera buttons with the C-buttons that would later be reproduced with a second stick on other consoles. The 3D targeting system STILL used today in a shitload of games, with OOT's Z-targeting. It also polished and popularized FPS controls and 4-player splitscreen gameplay on consoles and it introduced gaming to force feedback with the rumble pak.

Still, its funny how you downplay what Mario brought to the table by saying it just innovated platformers. Third person 3D gameplay in open spaces as you know it ows its core mechanics to Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. Regardless of genre.

Resident evil was a time exclusive that not only pushed PS sales further but defined PS brand as well ... The moment someone was telling you he is fan of RE series automatically you knew , 99.99 out of 100 , he owns a PS. Period. Same goes for FF7 .. What if FF7 released on PC ? lol .... Those time exclusives were huge back then , you like it or not ! Defined Playstation as a brand .. And time exclusives is time exclusives ... EXCLUSIVES ,do you get it ? ( caps to emphasize the word )

And if you dont give a shit about nemesis , some fans did. So get your grip right and dont talk out of your butt.

Also i said mario 64 was a legendary game that shaped up how 3D games play today again and again ( so did other games though for their respective genres which is my point to begin with ) and i also voted numerous times in numerous polls around internet ( as well as in Gamespot ) which system currently has the best exclusives out of current gen systems , and i voted Wii U. You think im some sort of Nintendo hater or biased shithead like .... some fanboys around here ?

Im being honest as **** and talking only facts and what is right. You messing with the wrong dude so this wont end up well for you.. Because you are out of topic since you quote something that was an answer to someone ... Ok , Keep it up if you want , another guy to deal with is always a pleasure. Dont run out of arguments though like the others and get mad , im warning you though more likely thatll be the case. Lets do it then because i see you are really aggressive and i love such kind of attitude. Lets do it.

So whats your problem again ? Speak .. im waiting sheep. Lets talk about revolution,evolution and innovation and youll see there are way more games that did something of those 3 or all 3 together than just mario 64 and Zelda. Why ? Because the huge leap of 16bit 2D era to 32bit-3D era was FULL of innovations/evolutions and revolutions just because of this transition !! Its common sense .. How is possible to say M64/Zelda are the only ones , just because the amazing 3D design and the possibilities N64s controller opened with stick ? Thats my point bro , wake up , theres nothing to disagree here if you are not a fanboy .. nothing literally. But if you do , lets do it. Ill be here

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Thunderdrone

lol

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Jag85
@Heirren said:

Mario 64, along with Sunshine, are very unique amongst this platforming genre. The copycats never got the concept to begin with. I would not put Jumping flash in the same arena. 64 and Sunshine have omni-platforming mechanics. Design isn't held to linear structure.

Jumping Flash isn't a linear platformer either. Jumping Flash anticipated the kinds of open-ended outdoor 3D environments that Mario 64 later became famous for. And even its first level resembles Mario 64's first level in some ways, a mostly green environment where you run and jump across grass, trees, bridges, platforms, hills and mountains. There are plenty of similarities between them, but the differences lie in the execution.

@Thunderdrone said:

That game didnt pioneer anything. It dumped you in a 3D world with 2D gameplay as its template and it was a complete jankfest that got a free pass because 3D was a new and shiny thing.

Like Tomb Raider and its absolute dogshit controls, nothing in Jumping Flash was an influence in modern 3D gameplay. Fire up both games and tell me that Mario 64 and Jumping Flash have anything in common and which one resembles what was made standard since then.

"2D gameplay"? With an obviously false comment like that, I doubt you've even played Jumping Flash before. Whether you like it or not, Jumping Flash pioneered the 3D platformer genre. It was the first true 3D platformer, the first platformer where you free-roam and free-jump around with 360-degree movement in large open-ended 3D environments. Jumping Flash is the grandaddy of the 3D platformer genre.

Also, Jumping Flash controls almost nothing like Tomb Raider. Jumping Flash's controls are much better than Tomb Raider, despite being limited by the same restrictive D-pad controls. But you can't expect analog controls out of a D-pad. Just because Mario 64 introduced analog controls, that doesn't mean it created the 3D platformer genre. It's Jumping Flash that deserves the credit for creating the genre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#137 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

N64. I owned a PS1 and always regretted not going with the N64 at the time. But 2 great consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Jag85 said:
@Heirren said:

Jumping Flash isn't a linear platformer either. Jumping Flash anticipated the kinds of open-ended outdoor 3D environments that Mario 64 later became famous for. And even its first level resembles Mario 64's first level in some ways, a mostly green environment where you run and jump across grass, trees, bridges, platforms, hills and mountains. There are plenty of similarities between them, but the differences lie in the execution.

You are looking at color schemes and suggesting Mario 64 borrowed from Jumping Flash? The palette of Mario 64 draws from all the prior mario games, not Jumping Flash.

And mechanically you are underestimating Mario 64. Even 20 years later it seems people overlook one of its strongest assets which is just exactly how open the game is to player interpretation. Most people know everything about the game in a sense--they've been spoiled, like reading up on a film prior to viewing it. Mario literally drops the player in the universe and thats it. Even the story is for the player to discover.

The platforming is extremely nuanced. It is an unbelievable achievement. So many areas in the game can be approached in so many different ways. Even to this day the only game that even attempts such a thing is Mario Sunshine. So many games tried to copy and failed. Game after game. 64 uses a very open geometric for the platforming. Sometimes people will say that the levels are dull and boring and there's too much space, but realistically the space is there for purpose mostly in the form of character momentum, etc.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Jag85

@Heirren:

I didn't just mention the similar color scheme. I also mentioned other similarities, including a similarly open-ended grassy environment, and various similar interactive assets, like the trees, bridges, platforms, hills, and mountains, all of which you can jump on, or run around on.

In Jumping Flash, you can also explore and complete the same levels in different ways. It's not quite as deep as Mario 64 in that regard, but it was a start. I played Jumping Flash when it first came out, and remember replaying through the same levels in different ways. I also played Mario 64 when it first came out, and it reminded me a lot of Jumping Flash.

Anyway, I agree Mario 64 was a major milestone for the genre, and 3D gaming in general. But what makes it important isn't that it created the 3D platformer genre (which it didn't, since Jumping Flash already created the genre before it), but because of how many games it influenced outside of its own genre. Almost any modern game that involves running around a 3D environment with analog controls is influenced by Mario 64 in some way or another. That's where Mario 64's real impact lies.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

N64 for me. I think the PS1 had a better library and the N64 had droughts and missed entire genres, but that core of Nintendo/Rare quality (~20 - 25 games?) just can't be beat, plus it had just about enough 3rd party support to keep ticking over (Star Wars, Resi 2, Turok, some sports/racers/wrestling games, etc)

More importantly, I just can't deal with PS1's loading. It completely ruins games for me. Had no real interest in all the cutscenes and loading of the JRPGs either, which was a major feather for PS1.

PS1 is probably "Better", but I prefer N64.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#141 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

The PS1 is probably the second best console I've ever owned. The first being the Saturn, of course.

What a great gen that was! But yeah, Xenogears and Suikoden alone beat the entire N64 library.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:

The PS1 is probably the second best console I've ever owned. The first being the Saturn, of course.

What a great gen that was! But yeah, Xenogears and Suikoden alone beat the entire N64 library.

Suikoden I or II?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Juub1990

@hernandezzzz said:

Said no one ever.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#144  Edited By doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

N64 for me, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Super smash Brothers, F-Zero X, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie, Turok 1 - 2, Donkey Kong 64, Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness, a mediocre port of Resident Evil 2, Fighters Destiny, Killer Instinct Gold, such good memories, although I play some good PSX games, nothing appealed to me at the time as well as the games I listed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 deactivated-5b0367b217732

@n64dd said:

Suikoden I or II?

I prefer the first one, but either one applies.

@Juub1990 said:

Said no one ever.

Not my fault you have terrible taste in games.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@hernandezzzz said:
@n64dd said:

Suikoden I or II?

@Juub1990 said:

Said no one ever.

I think it's a crazy statement as well. Mario 64 > both those rpg's.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Juub1990

@hernandezzzz said:

If you had said Vagrant Story maybe, just maybe I would have let it slide. Suikoden? Lol GTFO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5b0367b217732

You guys are beyond hope.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Juub1990

@hernandezzzz said:

You guys are beyond hope.

No we just don't care much for generic JRPG's. Certainly not enough to put them beyond certified classics.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 deactivated-5b0367b217732

I don't think we're ever going to agree, then. I consider Xenogears one of the best games ever made.