Ultimate showdown 2: PS1 vs N64

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Ultimate showdown 2: PS1 vs N64 (101 votes)

PS1 all the way! 56%
N64, nintendo power! 44%

Vote and give your reasons why! It was a good time to be gaming during this gen!

• 
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#51 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Anyone who says n64 did not have a proper ps1 experience

Or they just have an opinion.

Must be something new on SW, having an opinion.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#52  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

64's classics were more important (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 64) but PS1 had a better selection of shit to play overall.

ehm.. they scored slightly higher and revolutionized their respective genres ( goldeneye aside ) ... Thats all about it. You know that PS1 had plenty of such games that revolutionized or even invented genres as exclusives right ? Metal Gear solid , Resident Evil , Gran Turismo to name a few.

Sorry but none of those games were as important as something like Mario 64 or OoT; it is what it is. Also, they didn't invent genres: they just brought their own unique flavors to existing genres.

lolololol !

The fanboyism on another level !!

Again , im telling you . Important for you , because you liked them more. And if you think MGS and RE didnt invent genres or revolutionized them similar to what MArio 64 did for platforms , then go learn some history because i think you are too young to remember , theres no other explanation to say what you saying. ITs either youre a big fanboy or too young in gaming. It is what it is.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Its impossible to choose between them both for me, i loved both consoles for very different reasons.

The PS1 was my go to console for its wealth of racing/driving games and single player fun, i lost count how many great racing games that console had and kept me entertained for long long time.

The N64 on the other hand was very much my multiplayer with friends console, infact that console has given me some of my best memories in life playing 4 way multiplayer battles on Goldeneye, Mario Kart, F Zero, Perfect Dark and more.

There was nothing like getting a group of your friends having a smoke and huddling round the tv gunning for each other it was fantastic fun and something that these days has sadly been forgotten with all of the online multiplayer nonsense.

I vote for both consoles because its literally impossible to choose a favorite.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@AzatiS said:

lolololol !

Again , im telling you . Important for you , because you liked them more. And if you think MGS and RE didnt invent genres or revolutionized them similar to what MArio 64 did for platforms , then go learn some history because i think you are too young to remember , theres no other explanation to say what you saying. ITs either youre a big fanboy or too young in gaming. It is what it is.

What genre did MGS or RE revolutionzed? Thief came out literally 2 months after MGS and was a far, far superior stealth games.

RE was a multiplat game so it's not like only Playstation had it.

I also agree with the assessment that N64 had better top-tier games but was overall worse. Its library of quality game was paper thin compared to the PS1 but PS1 had nothing quite on the level of Mario 64, Ocarina of Time or Goldeneye.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

Tough choice, I feel that few games from that generation have aged well, probably because it was the first real gen of 3D games. So many games from that era have clunky and imprecise controls (not like the 4th gen's games which generally have aged a lot better) The N64 it lacked genres like jrpgs, racing and good fighting games but there are some gems that stood the test of time really well like Mario 64 and Zelda: OoT. I owned both back in the day and they complemented eachother perfectly. Even in retrospective it's a hard pick one of the two but I'd go with the N64 mainly because of Mario 64.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

64's classics were more important (Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye 64) but PS1 had a better selection of shit to play overall.

ehm.. they scored slightly higher and revolutionized their respective genres ( goldeneye aside ) ... Thats all about it. You know that PS1 had plenty of such games that revolutionized or even invented genres as exclusives right ? Metal Gear solid , Resident Evil , Gran Turismo to name a few.

Sorry but none of those games were as important as something like Mario 64 or OoT; it is what it is. Also, they didn't invent genres: they just brought their own unique flavors to existing genres.

lolololol !

Metal Gear Solid was more impactful from a presentation perspective. It really changed the way games were viewed by the outside world. Still nowhere near the same level of Mario 64. Resident Evil was essentially the same thing. Alone in the Dark came out before Resident Evil and attempt scare techniques in the same fashion. There was also Clock Tower on snes.

Loading Video...

And this is what I've been getting at. Strip the flash away from many of these and the games themselves don't hold up so well.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AzatiS

@Juub1990 said:
@AzatiS said:

lolololol !

What genre did MGS or RE revolutionzed? Thief came out literally 2 months after MGS and was a far, far superior stealth games.

RE was a multiplat game so it's not like only Playstation had it.

I also agree with the assessment that N64 had better top-tier games but was overall worse. Its library of quality game was paper thin compared to the PS1 but PS1 had nothing quite on the level of Mario 64, Ocarina of Time or Goldeneye.

Listen fanboy ...

Whatever did SM64 to platformers and Zelda to action/adventures back then so did RE to survival/horror games and so MGS did to action military stealth games. You trying to compare thief with mgs when mgs is not just a stealth game , is not FPS , it had elements thief couldnt dream of AND you said it on your own ... thief released AFTER MGS ( lets not talk that Theif was a PC game and not a N64 one because i can counter Goldeneye with an AFTER game as well , with 2 letters that is )

So Tekken revolutionized 3D fighters and so Chrono cross and FF series the new era of 3D JRPGs and so Gran Turismo the simulation driving and silent hill and and and ...

And this "RE games werent exclusives" ... i mean lol , do i have to even explain what those games were for PS console ? When PS users were playing RE3 nemesis , N64 had their port of Resident evil 2 !! Thats what was happening. So you coming here and telling RE games were multi .. No they werent , they were time exclusives. So please .... Clearly shows that you werent a gamer back then ... RE series became synonym of PS , everything else was a mere port after a year or 2.

Anyways , to close this idiotic argument ... As much as SM64 was a pioneer for platformers so were other games for their respective genres. And most of those other games were coming from PS family either as exclusives or time exclusives. If platformers and FPS were more important for you so be it , im not against it ( though PC is the only way to go for FPS ) ... but saying SM64 and Zelda were more important that all other pioneers is ridiculous to even say it let alone believing it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@AzatiS said:

Listen fanboy ...

Whatever did SM64 to platformers and Zelda to action/adventures back then so did RE to survival/horror games and so MGS did to action military stealth games. You trying to compare thief with mgs when mgs is not just a stealth game AND you said it on your own ... thief released AFTER MGS ( lets not talk that Theif was a PC game and not a N64 one let alone all the other gameplay differences it had vs MGS )

So Tekken revolutionized 3D fighters and so Chrono cross and FF series the new era of 3D RPGs and so Gran Turismo the simulation driving and silent hill and and and ...

And this "RE games werent exclusives" ... i mean lol , do i have to even explain what those games were for PS console ? When PS users were playing RE3 nemesis , N64 had their port of Resident evil 2 !! Thats whats happening. So please with its was multi idiotic statement there. RE series became synonym of PS even as time exclusive ..

Anyways , to close this idiotic argument ... As much as SM64 was a pioneer for platformers so were other games for their respective genres. And most of those other games were coming from PS family either as exclusives or time exclusives. If platformers and FPS were more important for you so be it ...

MGS didn't revolutionize Stealth and Military games. It actually didn't influence any genre at all. It had great storytelling and amazing presentation but like most MGS game was pretty mediocre in gameplay and was outclassed by its contemporaries in terms of mechanics. Thief absolutely slaughtered it in terms of stealth mechanics and even if it was released a mere 2 months after, do you really think MGS influenced it?

What exactly did the games you listed revolutionized?

I mean, I can understand Goldeneye being one of the first truly viable console FPS that had a new level design philisophy and took a step away from the fast-paced oriented PC fps to a more console-friendly and objective based campaign. I can also understand how it paved the way in terms of controls for console FPS.

I can understand the changes in world design Mario 64 brought to platformers. I can also see the way it used the 3D camera influenced a lot of subsequent 3D platformers and adventure games.

I don't know what Tekken had done that Virtua Fighter released years before hadn't done.

RE wasn't an exclusive so **** off. It doesn't matter if people were too ignorant to know it was on different platforms. It wasn't an exclusive.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#59 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

What's with the whole leaving Mario 64 to just platforming? The game's impact was 3d gaming period. A lot of the lessons learned from Mario 64 went on to shape so many other 3D Games (Ocarina of Time included), and when it really gets down to it their influence has ultimately lasted longer given how many 3d games be it a platformer, an action game, an action adventure game, an open world, or any type of game in third person more or less having its lineage trace all the way back to the things Nintendo was doing with Mario 64 and Ocarina.

From camera control and placement
To feel and atmosphere
To level design quirks and gameplay concepts such as teaching by doing (as opposed to Metal Gear Solid which actually does tutorial stuff in the stupidest ways possible)
Nevermind Z-taregeting in Ocarina, which is more or less lock on for how many different type of games?

Otherwise Resident Evil 1's influence is almost entirely in the "survival-horror" genre, and Metal Gear Solid's influence is all presentation stuff and the cinematic nature of the game. Because gameplay wise Thief didn't learn shit from Metal Gear, ditto for Tenchu, ditto for Hitman, ditto for Splinter Cell. The latter just got connected to MGS because the gaming media is and always has been console blockbuster centric. As far as actual stealth games they've learned far more from Looking Glass than they did Kojima.

Tekken didn't do shit other than get popular, because we had a 3d fighter before Tekken and it was Virtua Fighter

Chrono Cross didn't do shit lol

And FF7 is influential, he at least got that right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jg4xchamp said:

Tekken didn't do shit other than get popular, because we had a 3d fighter before Tekken and it was Virtua Fighter

Killer Instinct had a bigger impact than Tekken.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 jg4xchamp

@Heirren said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I'm not ready to go that far, combo breakers aside, Killer instinct blows dick. And I like Itagaki as much as the next guy, but Tekken was a very good game in the case of Tekken 1-3 during that era and was the big bread winner. I'm not going to act like it had zero influence. It's just if there is a Mario 64 equivalent to the 3d fighter it's not Tekken or Killer Instinct (especially not Killer Instinct), it's Virtua Fighter.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 AzatiS

@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

Metal Gear Solid was more impactful from a presentation perspective. It really changed the way games were viewed by the outside world. Still nowhere near the same level of Mario 64. Resident Evil was essentially the same thing. Alone in the Dark came out before Resident Evil and attempt scare techniques in the same fashion. There was also Clock Tower on snes.

And this is what I've been getting at. Strip the flash away from many of these and the games themselves don't hold up so well.

Tekken , FF series / Chrono cross , Gran Turismo ... want me to continue...

MGS was far more than presentation , wth you talking about ? It had deep story , AI was terrific for that era , graphics were cool , memorable characters that even TODAY you know their names ( whys that , because of presentation alone ? ) , it had amazing stealth elements with military approach ( action ) ... multiple solutions and more ... And you calling all these things presentation ? Are we serious here...

Also , this pathetic claim that Alone in the dark = Resident evil ... I played Alone in the dark day 1 ... it was a bad game , it wasnt remotely near RE in so many aspects i dont know from where to start.

Also comparing Clock tower to original RE ? Is this a joke ? Should i compare Zelda link to the past to Zelda Oot as well ? Come on now ... behave...

Its funny that all of nintendo fans you getting so sensitive about the fact that as SM64 and ZElda Oot made the difference in their respective genres you think that no other game did the same for theirs .

anyways beleive whats you want , i was active gamer back then , i bought day 1 all those titles , played everything. I know exactly who was what and what was going on. We cant have a decent argument when you are blind people.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By AzatiS

@Juub1990 said:
@AzatiS said:

Listen fanboy ...

Whatever did SM64 to platformers and Zelda to action/adventures back then so did RE to survival/horror games and so MGS did to action military stealth games. You trying to compare thief with mgs when mgs is not just a stealth game AND you said it on your own ... thief released AFTER MGS ( lets not talk that Theif was a PC game and not a N64 one let alone all the other gameplay differences it had vs MGS )

So Tekken revolutionized 3D fighters and so Chrono cross and FF series the new era of 3D RPGs and so Gran Turismo the simulation driving and silent hill and and and ...

And this "RE games werent exclusives" ... i mean lol , do i have to even explain what those games were for PS console ? When PS users were playing RE3 nemesis , N64 had their port of Resident evil 2 !! Thats whats happening. So please with its was multi idiotic statement there. RE series became synonym of PS even as time exclusive ..

Anyways , to close this idiotic argument ... As much as SM64 was a pioneer for platformers so were other games for their respective genres. And most of those other games were coming from PS family either as exclusives or time exclusives. If platformers and FPS were more important for you so be it ...

MGS didn't revolutionize Stealth and Military games. It actually didn't influence any genre at all. It had great storytelling and amazing presentation but like most MGS game was pretty mediocre in gameplay and was outclassed by its contemporaries in terms of mechanics. Thief absolutely slaughtered it in terms of stealth mechanics and even if it was released a mere 2 months after, do you really think MGS influenced it?

What exactly did the games you listed revolutionized?

I mean, I can understand Goldeneye being one of the first truly viable console FPS that had a new level design philisophy and took a step away from the fast-paced oriented PC fps to a more console-friendly and objective based campaign. I can also understand how it paved the way in terms of controls for console FPS.

I can understand the changes in world design Mario 64 brought to platformers. I can also see the way it used the 3D camera influenced a lot of subsequent 3D platformers and adventure games.

I don't know what Tekken had done that Virtua Fighter released years before hadn't done.

RE wasn't an exclusive so **** off. It doesn't matter if people were too ignorant to know it was on different platforms. It wasn't an exclusive.

Name me a single game that offered what MGS did in ALL aspects. A single one. Im waiting. Dont bring a PC game in here that release AFTER MGS . This is N64 vs PS1 isnt ? Stick to it butthurt sheep.

You reading too much WIKIPEDIA to justify your claims which i found pathetic ! Dont copy paste what you read there because you proving me right to my claim that you werent a gamer back then .. and if you havent the slightest experience of what you talking about ... just GTFO !!! haha ! :)

If you dont know what Tekken did better than VF then you should ask some arcade gamers or play yourself !!!!!!! Something i doubt you did as i said ... Its like saying what Street fighter 2 did better than SNK 2D fighters ...get a grip will you.

RE wasnt a multi also so **** off too fanboy. Time exclusive is still an exclusive more than multi... So when you were playing RE1 , PS users were playing RE2 and so forth. What you calling that ? Multi ? Im done with you , theres no way to have a decent argument with someone reading Wikipedia or is this kind of a fanboy.

Ok ok , PS1 had ZERO games that revolutionized nothing , brought nothing new to 3D era , all games were one of the same , nothing to wow about .... Only SM64 and Zelda were ... there you are ...happy now ? Now gtfo ! Im done with this ! Beleive what you want its all good

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jg4xchamp said:
@Heirren said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I'm not ready to go that far, combo breakers aside, Killer instinct blows dick. And I like Itagaki as much as the next guy, but Tekken was a very good game in the case of Tekken 1-3 during that era and was the big bread winner. I'm not going to act like it had zero influence. It's just if there is a Mario 64 equivalent to the 3d fighter it's not Tekken or Killer Instinct (especially not Killer Instinct), it's Virtua Fighter.

Oh Tekken is the better game, but the combo implementation and presentation of Killer Instinct--as silly as may be--have had a bigger impact than anything in Tekken. I'm not saying that is a good thing, either. Imo the Street Fighter 4 combo stuff--the flashy stuff-- is taking away from the series.

Still, the fighting game genre by nature doesn't lend itself well to a dimensional change. Imo Virtual On is that game. I can't think of a true solid 3D fighter, save for maybe Power Stone.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AzatiS

@jg4xchamp said:

What's with the whole leaving Mario 64 to just platforming? The game's impact was 3d gaming period. A lot of the lessons learned from Mario 64 went on to shape so many other 3D Games (Ocarina of Time included), and when it really gets down to it their influence has ultimately lasted longer given how many 3d games be it a platformer, an action game, an action adventure game, an open world, or any type of game in third person more or less having its lineage trace all the way back to the things Nintendo was doing with Mario 64 and Ocarina.

To feel and atmosphere

To level design quirks and gameplay concepts such as teaching by doing (as opposed to Metal Gear Solid which actually does tutorial stuff in the stupidest ways possible)

Nevermind Z-taregeting in Ocarina, which is more or less lock on for how many different type of games?

Otherwise Resident Evil 1's influence is almost entirely in the "survival-horror" genre, and Metal Gear Solid's influence is all presentation stuff and the cinematic nature of the game. Because gameplay wise Thief didn't learn shit from Metal Gear, ditto for Tenchu, ditto for Hitman, ditto for Splinter Cell. The latter just got connected to MGS because the gaming media is and always has been console blockbuster centric. As far as actual stealth games they've learned far more from Looking Glass than they did Kojima.

Noone talked to you .. and next time if you want to refer to me you should quote so i can see it and be able to answer.

Ty

I didnt expect you to agree with me even if i say PS1 sold more than N64. You have this in your blood so no big deal. I got used to it

I feel honored for the attention though.

EDIT : And i did say Zelda and SM64 are legends and revolutionized their respective genres as well , so dont lecture me what Zelda or SM64 did well. I was there , i played those games myself. I never said otherwise. Read my original , very first post.

Also this X game didnt do shit and Z game didnt do nothing dont prove anything. Also idiotic claims like Tekken got popular because of Virtua fighter ... is laughable to say the least. Bring some solid arguments if you want to argue because that was idiotic claim and because fighting games are all about gameplay ... you should at least know some basics before you talk.

As for RE1 , we beg to differ big time

About MGS .. name me a single similar game that offered everything MGS was offering at its time aside presentation. Bringing thief in this wont do , PC FPS game that released after MGS , so name me one . Dont come here and tell me X game was better stealth or Z game was better on story or Y game was better on military shooting etc ... 1 GAME that did everything MGS did as a whole... Name me 1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

MGS was far more than presentation , wth you talking about ? It had deep story , AI was terrific for that era , graphics were cool , memorable characters that even TODAY you know their names ( whys that , because of presentation alone ? ) , it had amazing stealth elements with military approach ( action ) ... multiple solutions and more ... And you calling all these things presentation ? Are we serious here...

Also , this pathetic claim that Alone in the dark = Resident evil ... I played Alone in the dark day 1 ... it was a bad game , it wasnt remotely near RE in so many aspects i dont know from where to start.

Also comparing Clock tower to original RE ? Is this a joke ? Should i compare Zelda link to the past to Zelda Oot as well ? Come on now ... behave...

Its funny that all of nintendo fans you getting so sensitive about the fact that as SM64 and ZElda Oot made the difference in their respective genres you think that no other game did the same for theirs .

anyways beleive whats you want , i was active gamer back then , i bought day 1 all those titles , played everything. I know exactly who was what and what was going on. We cant have a decent argument when you are blind people.

Tekken? The game that came out in the arcades? Chrono Cross? A game that is structurally just an snes game?

....Gran Turismo I agree with. Slipped my mind. Arguably the most impactful game to release on the psx.

MGS was a huge game. I've called it a huge game and an impactful one before, but not on the same level as Mario 64 or Ocarina where fundamental means to player control were changed.

....I didn't even know about Clock Tower at the time. Watch some gameplay footage. It is rather similar in design to Resident Evil. Same goes for Clock Tower. As good? No, but it used film techniques to instill fear in the player(or attempt to, anyways.)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jg4xchamp

@AzatiS said:

Noone talked to you ..

Right, now you're gonna bitch that no one is talking to you lol

@Heirren said:

Oh Tekken is the better game, but the combo implementation and presentation of Killer Instinct--as silly as may be--have had a bigger impact than anything in Tekken. I'm not saying that is a good thing, either. Imo the Street Fighter 4 combo stuff--the flashy stuff-- is taking away from the series.

Still, the fighting game genre by nature doesn't lend itself well to a dimensional change. Imo Virtual On is that game. I can't think of a true solid 3D fighter, save for maybe Power Stone.

The **** out, Virtua Fighter is fantastic.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 AzatiS

@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

Tekken? The game that came out in the arcades? Chrono Cross? A game that is structurally just an snes game?

....Gran Turismo I agree with. Slipped my mind. Arguably the most impactful game to release on the psx.

MGS was a huge game. I've called it a huge game and an impactful one before, but not on the same level as Mario 64 or Ocarina where fundamental means to player control were changed.

....I didn't even know about Clock Tower at the time. Watch some gameplay footage. It is rather similar in design to Resident Evil. Same goes for Clock Tower. As good? No, but it used film techniques to instill fear in the player(or attempt to, anyways.)

Yes , Tekken from arcades and Tekken 2 and 3.

Chrono cross yes, one of the best JRPGs of that era. Yes FF series up to 9 .. Great games unseen before first or only on PS.

Mario 64 technically was a wonder and as we speak it gets praise for a reason.. for its technical approach that is ( camera , level design etc ). I never disagreed on that. But most important .. i beg to differ. There were plenty of important games other than SM64/Zelda that era where everything jumped from 2D to 3D ( console wise ) thats what im saying .

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AzatiS

@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:

Noone talked to you ..

Well you didnt even quote me , chicken shit ! lol ... And if thats what you have to say from all the claims i said ... so be it ! Its fine ! You run out of arguments again ? Its the 3rd time you do that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:

Noone talked to you ..

@Heirren said:

The **** out, Virtua Fighter is fantastic.

I was referring to Tekken compared to Killer Instinct. Virtua Fighter 2 onward is better than both. Virtua Fighter 5 is better than Street Fighter 4, imo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

Chrono cross yes, one of the best JRPGs of that era. Yes FF series up to 9 .. Great games unseen before first or only on PS.

Mario 64 technically was a wonder and as we speak it gets praise for a reason.. for its technical approach that is ( camera , level design etc ). I never disagreed on that. But most important .. i beg to differ. There were plenty of important games other than SM64/Zelda that era where everything jumped from 2D to 3D ( console wise ) thats what im saying .

That is an arcade port.

For RPGs, as many issues as Final Fantasy 7 has, is the most influential. Mostly for the worse, but that doesn't really matter. PSX, one of my favorite consoles, relied a lot on flash and marketing. I am not saying there weren't good games, but simply that none of them had the impact of the big N64 ones.

I've wondered how in the heck psx gained such popularity. Sega Saturn has far better games. Sega really did a number on themselves with the Sega CD/32x/Saturn/quick Dreamcast release.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#72 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Still building up on my PS1 collection, but I'll vote N64 by default. Not counting Nintendo IP's but...

-Superior Star Wars games (Rogue Squadron, Episode I Racer, and Shadows of the Empire)

-Rare games (GE, PD, Banjo, Jet Force Gemini, DK 64 etc)

-A better console for multiplayer and it popularized consoles with four players out of the box (as the Dreamcast, XBOX, and GameCube showed, but Sony for whatever reason avoided until the PS3 with those stupid, inconsistent, out of date multitaps for PS2)

And for wrestling fans, it was the superior console for those games (mainly by AKI) too.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By AzatiS

@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

That is an arcade port.

For RPGs, as many issues as Final Fantasy 7 has, is the most influential. Mostly for the worse, but that doesn't really matter. PSX, one of my favorite consoles, relied a lot on flash and marketing. I am not saying there weren't good games, but simply that none of them had the impact of the big N64 ones.

I've wondered how in the heck psx gained such popularity. Sega Saturn has far better games. Sega really did a number on themselves with the Sega CD/32x/Saturn/quick Dreamcast release.

Arcade ports why not ?!

Dreamcast was one of my favorite consoles ever

As for RPGs FF9 was amazing also with 8 being great , chrono cross , valkyria and many others .

I dont think Saturn has far better games than PSX imo , in fact if you compare both libraries as exclusives/time exclusives go at any given time ... PSX was always ahead as of titles with impact where Saturn was more of arcade style like Sega Rally , Virtua cop/fighter , panzer etc

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By jg4xchamp

@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Well you didnt even quote me.

It was the closest thing you had to a coherent sentence, so it was the only thing that actually had enough merit to respond to. Although I think it's cute you go by the stupid notion of "I got last word, thus I had arguments" ...who did you learn to debate against? The kindergartners in your ESL class?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AzatiS

@jg4xchamp said:
@AzatiS said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Well you didnt even quote me.

It was the closest thing you had to a coherent sentence, so it was the only thing that actually had enough merit to respond to. Although I think it's cute you go by the stupid notion of "I got last word, thus I had arguments" ...who did you learn to debate against? The kindergartners in your ESL class?

Again irrelevant things ! I love it when you dont have anything to say to the real argument and you coming with irrelevant , a god knows what , things in order to have something to say ! Lol ... Keep it up , next time when you answer to me , dont forget to quote like a normal poster will do.

4th time you doing this and im really loving it ! You failing so hard to get into me ..but at least ill give it to you... that you trying so hard , that is. haha .. Well done ! You won a cookie !

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

PS1 for me... N64 had a great games library but PS1's was simply better !!

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

Tekken definitely affected me in terms of fighting games. It got me back into the genre. I don't know what it did to revolutionize it. In your opinion, what games did resident evil influence? Same with MGS?

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I was an N64 kid, but both were great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

N64 by a light years. A true 3D console for it's time. Despite it's limited library, it had far more than enough games that kept me satisfied and interested. PS1 was also good, but comes second, to me, because it was a Weeaboo JRPG fans' wet dream, not my cup of tea. It had quite a number of excellent titles, though. But I simply had more fun, more playing hours on N64 than PS1.

Also, the analog stick for the N64 was a godsend. I cannot, will not ever go back to PS1 games, pre-Dual Shock 1, ever, I just cannot stand Digital D-pads control. It mattered to some 2D games, R-Types, Einhander, Castlevania SotN and Street Fighter Alpha 2, for example, played excellent. And mattered in the 16-bit era, but controlling 3D games with the original PS Controller, Wipeout XL, for example, was just bad. Also, Doom and Alien Trilogy are other examples.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AzatiS

@n64dd said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

Tekken definitely affected me in terms of fighting games. It got me back into the genre. I don't know what it did to revolutionize it. In your opinion, what games did resident evil influence? Same with MGS?

Even if Tekken seemed like a VF copycat of how it looks ( obviously graphics wise ) the similarities behind it stops there... Except the fact that it got a release few months after VF in arcades ( means it was on the works before VF even get a release and wasnt a copycat like many trying to say ) it had the unique idea behind it let gamers freely move any of characters hands/kicks ( left/right ) at will at any given time.

That alone revolutionized how gameplay worked up till then when ALL games , 2D or 3D , never let you "total control" of which hand or kick you wanna land and when ( keyword here ).

Now add the fact that Tekken had way more appealing graphics ( debatable though but still ) , cutscenes , way better story behind its highly memorable characters ,way more addictive combo system and fighting styles... and there you have it.

Now what games RE influenced ... myriads. Silent Hill series / Dino Crisis series / Parasite Eve 2 / In Cold blood / Blue Sting / Obsecure / Fatal frame / Onimusha series and these games is what i know of ( i played myself ). I dont think many of these titles would even exist if it wasnt for RE series and if it were i dont think they would be the same.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@n64dd said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

Even if Tekken seemed like a VF copycat of how it looks ( obviously graphics wise ) the similarities behind it stops there... Except the fact that it got a release few months after VF in arcades ( means it was on the works before VF even get a release and wasnt a copycat like many trying to say ) it had the unique idea behind it let gamers freely move any of characters hands/kicks ( left/right ) at will at any given time.

That alone revolutionized how gameplay worked up till then when ALL games , 2D or 3D , never let you "total control" of which hand or kick you wanna land and when ( keyword here ).

Now add the fact that Tekken had way more appealing graphics ( debatable though but still ) , cutscenes , way better story behind its highly memorable characters ,way more addictive combo system and fighting styles... and there you have it.

Now what games RE influenced ... myriads. Silent Hill series / Dino Crisis series / Parasite Eve 2 / In Cold blood / Blue Sting / Obsecure / Fatal frame / Onimusha series and these games is what i know of ( i played myself ). I dont think many of these titles would even exist if it wasnt for RE series and if it were i dont think they would be the same.

Fair enough. I think Resident Evil was a huge success and did influence the industry myself. I think people are splitting hairs by which the degree it influenced the industry was.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

n64.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1077 Posts

N64.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#84 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I like both N64 and PS1, but overall you have to give it to Sony's PlayStation. Both Systems have great games, But PlayStation wins this hands down.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#85  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

You really need to stop getting so pissed off about other people's opinions. How worked up you get about this shit looks exhausting.

Mario 64 and OoT were more important to the industry. That's something you're just going to have to deal with. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy the PS games you listed or that they weren't important in their own ways. They were just not as important as Mario 64 or OoT.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#86 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

You really need to stop getting so pissed off about other people's opinions.

Same with any other poster who thinks not siding with the popular retro console as if it was heretical.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

PS1. A much more diverse game library, with more RPGs than any other generation before or since. The games costing half of what N64s did was also a big plus.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:
@AzatiS said:
@Heirren said:

Chrono Cross is an excellent RPG, but it wasn't influential or groundbreaking. I think you're so confused in this thread because you're confusing the degree to which you like a game with its influence and importance.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:

To feel and atmosphere

Exactly this.

@AzatiS could learn a lot from this post, but I think his ass is too sore from your last encounter to read it with an open mind.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

You really need to stop getting so pissed off about other people's opinions. How worked up you get about this shit looks exhausting.

Mario 64 and OoT were more important to the industry. That's something you're just going to have to deal with. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy the PS games you listed or that they weren't important in their own ways. They were just not as important as Mario 64 or OoT.

Since when lololol = pissed ?! lol .... I never get mad , ever ! You taking too seriously what i say i guess. Anyways.

SM64/OoT were more important for what ? You dont even know , you read something left and right and you coming here telling me that , thats the impression im getting. Like the other guy that almost copy-pasted what he read to wikipedia lol . Anyways , those games as i said to my original post , deserve the praise ... which N64 controller helped alot to that ( if you get what i mean ) but anyways thats out of topic.

I got my own opinion on things since i played all those games DAY 1 of their release and i know exactly their impact to gamers , gaming etc .. We beg to differ and its fine . PS/N64 generation was the biggest leap gaming ever had , from 2D to 3D , and everything happened that era was important and shaped up how games are playing even as we speak and not just SM64 or OOt... This "the most important games" wont do it for me and thats my opinion on things.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

Since when lololol = pissed ?! lol .... I never get mad , ever ! You taking too seriously what i say i guess. Anyways.

SM64/OoT were more important for what ? You dont even know , you read something left and right and you coming here telling me that , thats the impression im getting .. Like the other guy that almost copy-pasted what he read to wikipedia lol ....

I got my own opinion on things since i played all those games DAY 1 of their release and i know exactly their impact to gamers , gaming etc .. We beg to differ and its fine . PS generation was the biggest leap gaming ever had , from 2D to 3D , and everything happened that era was important and shaped up how games are playing even as we speak not just SM64 or OOt

That's nice that you have your own opinions, but the fact that you listed Chrono Cross as influential casts doubt on your ability to distinguish importance from things that you like or find impressive.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#92  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19588 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

Not sure if you just mean MGS1 on the PS1, or the Metal Gear series as a whole. If you mean the whole series, then that's not true. All of those games are indebted to the early Metal Gear games on the MSX and NES, which laid the foundations for the stealth genre. And the very reason Splinter Cell in particular exists was to be a "MGS2 killer" for Ubisoft. But if you mean just MGS1, then it didn't do a whole lot new gameplay-wise that its predecessor MG2 Solid Snake didn't already do, but MGS did introduce a new gameplay mechanic that revolutionized not just stealth games, but third-person action games in general: cover mechanics. The cover mechanics used in stealth and TPS games today trace back their lineage to MGS.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

SM64/OoT were more important for what ? You dont even know , you read something left and right and you coming here telling me that , thats the impression im getting .. Like the other guy that almost copy-pasted what he read to wikipedia lol ....

I got my own opinion on things since i played all those games DAY 1 of their release and i know exactly their impact to gamers , gaming etc .. We beg to differ and its fine . PS generation was the biggest leap gaming ever had , from 2D to 3D , and everything happened that era was important and shaped up how games are playing even as we speak not just SM64 or OOt

That's nice that you have your own opinions, but the fact that you listed Chrono Cross as influential casts doubt on your ability to distinguish importance from things that you like or find impressive.

As much as your ability to distinquish importance for other games than SM64/Zelda Oot and GoldenEye.

What you just said it can work both ways. Also i mentioned other games as well.dont stick to 1 , i gave examples from well received games for a reason.

My argument here is ... you calling some games as the most important yet you havent played them yourself. You just read it somewhere or you heard it. You dont have any personal things to say about them , you didnt experience anything from what im talking about DAY 1 of their respective releases. And thats right there is the issue because i did play 99% of these mega titles and i can talk about those games all day long for each and every one out of my own exp.

Also you need to be more precise when you saying the word important. Important to what exactly ? Sound , graphics , level design , gameplay etc ? You cant just say most important in general because Wiki said so or whatever. What do you mean most important exactly , be more precise on that .

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

lolololol !

My argument here is ... you calling some games as the most important yet you havent played them yourself. You just read it somewhere or you heard it. You dont have any personal things to say about them , you didnt experienced anything from what im talking about DAY 1 of their respective releases. And thats right there is the issue.

Oh be quiet. You have no idea what I have or haven't played. Assumptions doesn't equal an argument.

Mario 64 and OoT are more important than what you listed regardless of "personal feelings." Like I said, that doesn't mean the games you listed aren't important, they just aren't as important. That's nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Also, I have my doubts that you played any of these day 1 since you come across like a 13 year old.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 jg4xchamp

@Jag85 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Not sure if you just mean MGS1 on the PS1, or the Metal Gear series as a whole. If you mean the whole series, then that's not true. All of those games are indebted to the early Metal Gear games on the MSX and NES, which laid the foundations for the stealth genre. And the very reason Splinter Cell in particular exists was to be a "MGS2 killer" for Ubisoft. But if you mean just MGS1, then it didn't do a whole lot new gameplay-wise that its predecessor MG2 Solid Snake didn't already do, but MGS did introduce a new gameplay mechanic that revolutionized not just stealth games, but third-person action games in general: cover mechanics. The cover mechanics used in stealth and TPS games today trace back their lineage to MGS.

MGS1 specifically. And again being a media reaction MGS2, doesn't change that nothing Splinter Cell actually does traces back to either MGS1 or 2. Gameplay wise it's completely different, goal wise maybe some what similar, except Splinter Cell (before the recent shitty ones) aimed for more pure stealth where as MGS was exactly what it said it was "tactical espionage action".

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jg4xchamp

@GreySeal9 said:

Exactly this.

@AzatiS could learn a lot from this post, but I think his ass is too sore from your last encounter to read it with an open mind.

You can't fix stupid, the child got his debate lessons from a cracker jack box.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Exactly this.

Haha. Don't even know if you could call it debating.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 AzatiS

@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

My argument here is ... you calling some games as the most important yet you havent played them yourself. You just read it somewhere or you heard it. You dont have any personal things to say about them , you didnt experienced anything from what im talking about DAY 1 of their respective releases. And thats right there is the issue.

Oh be quiet. You have no idea what I have or haven't played. Assumptions doesn't equal an argument.

Mario 64 and OoT are more important than what you listed regardless of "personal feelings." Like I said, that doesn't mean the games you listed aren't important, they just aren't as important. That's nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Also, I have my doubts that you played any of these day 1 since you come across like a 13 year old.

Oh come on , you dont even know what you talking about right ? X and Z games were the most important games because i say so or i read so somewhere ... Lol brooo .. big time ! Then we cant debate further sadly ... Beleive what you want , the fact is i played all those games and you havent yet you trying to win an argument already lost bro. Anyways , whatever. SM64/OOT are the most "important" games because ... you say so , even if you dont know why exactly ...And lets all be happy then !

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AzatiS

@jg4xchamp said:
@GreySeal9 said:

Exactly this.

Someone is mad ... Run forest run ! Both of you ! I got a guy that when things getting nasty and cant answer back , run out of arguments in sort , starts personal attacks .. and another folk that talking facts with zero experience on his own ! And im the one should be open minded or my ass being sore !?!!

hahaaha ! dudes , you are funny dudes , you trying hard but you are the ones getting mad in the end ! Good tries though i give you that.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GreySeal9

@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:
@AzatiS said:
@GreySeal9 said:

the fact is i played all those games and you havent yet you trying to win an argument already lost bro.

When somebody just starts throwing around their assumptions as facts, they prove themselves to be both mentally challenged and out of arguments.

Honestly, you lost the argument when you listed Chrono Cross. Do you even know what influential means?