UK Chart Track top 10 - Black Ops 4 physical launch sales lowest Call of Duty has seen for a decade

• 62 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Here's the full top 10:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  2. FIFA 19
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  4. WWE 2K19
  5. Forza Horizon 4
  6. Spider-Man
  7. Super Mario Party
  8. Crash N-Sane Trilogy
  9. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  10. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

'Picking apart Call of Duty's launch sales is an annual activity - as physical sales are tallied up for the official UK chart, while publisher Activision brings out a press release designed to trumpet its own take.

Boxed sales of the publisher's flagship franchise - the metric counted by UK numbers company Chart-Track - have been flagging for years. COD's physical sales peak came with Modern Warfare 3, back in 2011. Every release since then, with the exception of COD WW2, has been part of a notable downward trend.

This year, for example, physical copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 were down 50 per cent on last year's WW2, and down 59 per cent compared to Black Ops 3.

To put the series' overall slide in perspective, Black Ops 4's physical sales are around 10 per cent that of Modern Warfare 3 back in the day.'

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-15-call-of-duty-physical-launch-sales-at-lowest-for-a-decade

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@boycie: Must be wrong mate, as FH4 can't be ahead of Spider-Man as cows are saying its not selling lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@i_p_daily said:

@boycie: Must be wrong mate, as FH4 can't be ahead of Spider-Man as cows are saying its not selling lol.

I'm sure one will be a long soon to explain why this is wrong and FH4 is actually doing very poorly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:

I'm sure one will be a long soon to explain why this is wrong and FH4 is actually doing very poorly.

Here let me have a go, ah its only the UK it doesn't matter, but, but worldwide lol.

How did I go???

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@i_p_daily said:
@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:

Here let me have a go, ah its only the UK it doesn't matter, but, but worldwide lol.

How did I go???

Not bad, but you failed to point out the PS4 is still out selling the xbox one. But finishing with a lol was nice attention to detail.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

Wow lemmings can't make a thread before getting butthurt over the PS4 all by themselves lol. The PS4 lives in their minds triggering butthurt 24/7 it seems lol.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

So physical numbers only? That's a bit pointless..... how's it fair when digital are added on also?

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

But it's also breaking records digitally...I keep wondering why :p

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

From the article:

Black Ops 4 is Activision's biggest ever digital release - higher than any other Call of Duty or Destiny game to date. Digital sales grew year-on-year compared to last year's WW2, and it was the company's biggest digital launch on all three of COD's formats.

On PC, where the new entry launched on Blizzard's Battle.net for the first time, its launch day digital sales doubled those of last year. Overall, more people connected the game online during its first day than they did with WW2 last year - likely due to the lack of a campaign and the arrival of Blackout.

So yea, this thread and article are full of cherry picked bullshit to try and make something look worse then it is.

I feel this is purely a stealth thread who's real intent is FH vs Spiderman.... and COD sales are purely camouflage for it's real intent.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@scatteh316 said:

From the article:

Black Ops 4 is Activision's biggest ever digital release - higher than any other Call of Duty or Destiny game to date. Digital sales grew year-on-year compared to last year's WW2, and it was the company's biggest digital launch on all three of COD's formats.

On PC, where the new entry launched on Blizzard's Battle.net for the first time, its launch day digital sales doubled those of last year. Overall, more people connected the game online during its first day than they did with WW2 last year - likely due to the lack of a campaign and the arrival of Blackout.

So yea, this thread and article are full of cherry picked bullshit to try and make something look worse then it is.

I feel this is purely a stealth thread who's real intent is FH vs Spiderman.... and COD sales are purely camouflage for it's real intent.

No shit sherlock. This is SW after all.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

It has also broken records for day one digital sales for any game on PSN as well as Xbox, and more people connected online on day 1 than COD ww2.
Your post tells me that physical sales are thankfully slowly becoming obsolete more than BLOPS 4 being a flop.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:
@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:

How did I go???

Not bad, but you failed to point out the PS4 is still out selling the xbox one. But finishing with a lol was nice attention to detail.

I did add but, but, but worldwide and it is a games sales thread.

Our first alt cow has appeared with that sweet...

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zappat

It seems this thread is a fail. Everyone calling the OP because he failed to read that digital sales actually increased and only him and his resident circle jerk lemming non-gamer trying to hard to make this an ownage towards the PS4 and failing miserably. I guess lemmings have become experts at failing by now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

At least GTA V isn't on there.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Not a fan myself but a bit surprised. Could guarantee that it's the best sold digital game on both platforms this month though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@zappat said:

It seems this thread is a fail. Everyone calling the OP because he failed to read that digital sales actually increased and only him and his resident circle jerk lemming non-gamer trying to hard to make this an ownage towards the PS4 and failing miserably. I guess lemmings have become experts at failing by now.

The post, including the headline is just a copy and paste from EG. It has no input from me at all. You can read the rest of the article if you click the link.

You're just grump because FH4 didn't do as badly as you had hoped.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sealionact said:

It has also broken records for day one digital sales for any game on PSN as well as Xbox, and more people connected online on day 1 than COD ww2.

Your post tells me that physical sales are thankfully slowly becoming obsolete more than BLOPS 4 being a flop.

That is a bad thing, as these games being digital only on MS/Sony's online store generates no competition meaning they can charge whatever they want, and digital is more expensive than on disk and that is ridiculous because there is no disk, manual, cover, middle man. Digital is a con job.

#physicaltilltheend

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zappat

@boycie said:
@zappat said:

The post, including the headline is just a copy and paste from EG. It has no input from me at all. You can read the rest of the article if you click the link.

You're just grump because FH4 didn't do as badly as you had hoped.

Where did I ever say that I expect FH4 to do badly? If anything I expected it to do better, specially in the UK since FH3 stayed on the top 10 for so long. lol, you lemmings are a sad bunch.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zappat

@i_p_daily said:

MS/Sony's online store generates no competition meaning they can charge whatever they want,

I'm afraid to ask because I'm pretty sure it is another of your nonsense illogical moronic statements but, what do you mean by that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:

MS/Sony's online store generates no competition meaning they can charge whatever they want,

I'm afraid to ask because I'm pretty sure it is another of your nonsense illogical moronic statements but, what do you mean by that?

Reading comprehension, get it because what I said is easy to comprehend for even primary school students.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zappat

@i_p_daily said:
@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:

Reading comprehension, get it because what I said is easy to comprehend for even primary school students.

Maybe. I mean I understand it but it seems to me it is product of such a stupid reasoning that even primary school students should have the right to make fun of your dumb ass. I'm just trying to give you the benefit of the doubt in case you have a less dumb reasoning behind it since it seems to stupid for even you but I guess it isn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:
@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:

Maybe. I mean I understand it but it seems to me it is product of such a stupid reasoning that even primary school students should have the right to make fun of your dumb ass.

You didn't understand it because you asked for an explanation, the only ones making fun here are the people who are laughing at you.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zappat

@i_p_daily said:
@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:
@zappat said:

Maybe. I mean I understand it but it seems to me it is product of such a stupid reasoning that even primary school students should have the right to make fun of your dumb ass.

You didn't understand it because you asked for an explanation, the only ones making fun here are the people who are laughing at you.

You think that because on digital stores the games from other consoles are not in the same physical space there is no competition then? I mean there's stupidity and then there's what you just said, I'm pretty sure you just broke a record somewhere.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Considering that spiderman has weeks there who would be surprise,but then again how many weeks has Forza been leading UK charts..lol Like spiderman did..

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Physical game that requires 50gb download, the disc is nothing more than an ownership check

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Crash N-Sane Trilogy

...Still alive

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@i_p_daily: Well, I disagree. Right now, physical games spread the income between Devs, publishers, shops, delivery, publicity and support. That's why games are so expensive.... If we go digital, the money goes straight to the publishers, who pay the Devs and the costs of promotion and support.

Digital copies cost as much as physical copies because right now, we still buy mostly physical, and stores would refuse to sell games if stores like the ms store sold them cheaper digitaly. Ms, Sony and Nintendo can't afford to upset the big stores, so prices are kept high.

Buying a game on a disc is inconvenient when compared to digital....If it gets scratched, it's useless. There are millions, if not billions of discs that have ended up in landfills, or just left lying around the house. There's the covers, plastic wrappers and pollution by transportation to think about too if we consider the environment.

I can't remember when I bought a CD last... They're obsolete. Moving gaming over to services like gamepass, and going purely digital is the future...whether we like it or not.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts
@i_p_daily said:
@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:
@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:

How did I go???

Is this some kind of anti-semitic meme?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts
@tormentos said:
@i_p_daily said:

Considering that spiderman has weeks there who would be surprise,but then again how many weeks has Forza been leading UK charts..lol Like spiderman did..

Right? Forza never even hit number one. Spider-Man's fourth week is still probably way more than Forza's first week.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20104 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tormentos said:
@i_p_daily said:

Right? Forza never even hit number one. Spider-Man's fourth week is still probably way more than Forza's first week.

Not to mention Horizon 4 is on PC as well. But whatever...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zero_epyon

Physical sales are down but digital is up. I'm sure they did fine, especially since they joined the Battle Royal craze. Blackout isn't bad though. There is a lot of room for improvement too.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zero_epyon

@sts106mat said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@tormentos said:
@i_p_daily said:

FH4 is also on gamepass....funny you didn't mention that.

But gamepass doesn't count towards sales. Why would I mention that?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56096 Posts

Black Ops 4 with no single player campaign mode comes in number one? I'm not mad, just, just disappointed :(

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Very nice to see Forza Horizon 4 do well.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts
@davillain- said:

Black Ops 4 with no single player campaign mode comes in number one? I'm not mad, just, just disappointed :(

My guess is no COD will have a singleplayer moving forward.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Wait a second, didn't Forza just come out and Spiderman already has a month in the U.K charts? Lemmings are seriously comparing a month old game to a new release?

If anything, Forza sits at #5 after 2 weeks. That's actually very low for a new release. Spiderman topped the charts for 3 straight weeks, lol. Lemmings.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zero_epyon

@sts106mat said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@sts106mat said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

well you mention PC, but dont think there is a physical version of that available in the UK so not sure they are counted in the chart.

Ah fair point.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

Interesting to see Crash still doing well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56096 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@davillain- said:

My guess is no COD will have a singleplayer moving forward.

Guess my last CoD purchase will be WW2 soon. I'm one of the few who actually put hours into CoD Campaign and I hardly play the MP.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:
@boycie said:
@i_p_daily said:

How did I go???

Lmao... look at all the salty cows in full damage control mode.

Look at all the piles of salt!

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@davillain- said:

I guess the two people who said they only play COD for SP didn't matter after all.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

once it's been out for a few months it'll be interesting to see its profit vs older cods'.

they must be saving money by their customer base shifting to digital, and now they've got no blockbusting tv commercial to make, no hollywood voice actors to pay and no need for all the other expenditure they incur when producing a campaign it wouldn't surprise me if this is their most profitable cod in years

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Also worth bearing in mind that CoD has launched early this year. It'll continue to have strong sales the closer we get to Christmas

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Confusing stats, for instance saying physical sales peaked with MW3, but then says sales 10% lower than MW3 would suggest selling well, but then they say it is selling less than Blops 3 or WW2 by 50'ish percent... oh well, series still sells well enough to milk a shit series to death it isn't going anywhere and I am still inclined not to contribute to its sales.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

First thing I noticed.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@uninspiredcup said:

First thing I noticed.

Its weird how popular it is. Sony probably wishes ND came with crash when they bought them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:
@zappat said:
@i_p_daily said:
@zappat said:

You think that because on digital stores the games from other consoles are not in the same physical space there is no competition then? I mean there's stupidity and then there's what you just said, I'm pretty sure you just broke a record somewhere.

ffs you are thick and not worth my time, begone alt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Zero_epyon said:
@sts106mat said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@sts106mat said:
@Zero_epyon said:

well you mention PC, but dont think there is a physical version of that available in the UK so not sure they are counted in the chart.

Ah fair point.

So FH4 is on gamepass, with no physical PC version, on half the amount of consoles and still outsold Spider-Man, not bad.