Uh oh, Nintendo just responded to Wii U Power Rumors (For Real This Time)

• 187 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

So Nintendo actually responded to the Wii U power rumors that have been going around lately, and with more than just a 'We do not comment on rumors and speculation...'

Remember the recent rumors that the Wii U will be even less powerful than the Xbox 360/PS3? Well, this won't be pretty.

First, Nintendo of America responded to the GI Biz article being discussed inthe other thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/developers-cla...210201325.html

[Quote="Nintendo of America"]"We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."NeoGAF

CVG just posted an independent story/rumor from another two dev sources, who claim that the Wii U willnotjust be up-rez'd PS360 graphics...because it doesn't have the horsepower to do so.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ot-as-capable/

Sources said graphical quality "won't be a problem" on Nintendo's new console, but a drop in CPU horsepower compared to 360 and PS3 could see Wii U lag behind in areas such as complicated physics and AI.
"Assumptions that Wii U games will look like 'up rezzed' current-gen titles with better textures aren't quite right. They'll look just as good, but not better," one developer told CVG. "You shouldn't expect anything special from a graphics point of view," they added.

A second source working on a big name franchise said GPU and RAM power "won't be a problem" on the new console but, again, claimed Wii U struggles to match PS3 and 360 in processing power.

"We're still working on dev machines but there have definitely been some issues [in porting PS3/360 games]," our source said. "It's not actually a problem getting things up and running because the architecture is pretty conventional, but there are constraints with stuff like physics and AI processing because the hardware isn't quite as capable."

The same source concluded, bluntly: "I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game."
CVG

Either the same two developers mouthing off to multiple members of the media anonymously, or we have 4 devs in the past few days who believe that the Wii U is basically in the same league as the PS3 and 360. How much the tablet controller effects these assessments remains to be seen.

I know these are all rumors, but... well, they're becoming more and more common, and now I'm starting to get a bit worried again.

Who to believe? E3 can't come soon enough.

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I laughed at the Mario comment.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
yeah, that tablet is cool and all, but I doubt it will be enough. If the wiiu is gimped like the wii was they will miss out on the best third party games yet again
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I'll believe the official claims by devs like Gearbox who say otherwise.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
And Nintendo will advertise its tablet controller so well power won't matter... Again.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

"The same source concluded, bluntly: "I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game."

Really now?

Anyway, I rather believe what Gearbox, Epic, Vigil say then Dev 1 and 2.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
It might still be good for ninty...but imo Lightning ain't striking twice on this one.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

So the next gen Wii U is nothing more than an inferior copy of the PS3 and the 360? Then why should I buy it then? And the tablet controller - imagine if this thing went bust one fine day. I don't think I would have the dough to buy another controller.

I guess that settles it. I'm not going to buy any console for next gen.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I'll believe the official claims by devs like Gearbox who say otherwise.

AmayaPapaya

^this. The Mario comment should be enough to tell you their source is full of sh1t.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

WiiU seems like the ultimate disaster

Crap controller and now crap hardware

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It won't matter if the Wii U is similar in power to the PS3 and 360 as far as sales go because the lower the specs the cheaper it can be. It will be a disappointment however, to those expecting a leap from those current gen systems (aka most SW posters).

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

"The same source concluded, bluntly: "I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game."

Really now?

ShuichiChamp24

Same here Gearbox, Epic, Vigil, EA Dice, and Crytek all have nothing but positive things to say about the Wii U and they are actually named sources instead of being anonymous

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChubbyGuy40

loosingENDS

You just described the 360.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Looks like here comes a flop. If its truely just a bit more powerfull than a 360/ps3. Nintendo is going to be in a tough place. Unless this console comes out dirt cheap. Its going to be a tough sell to anyone but nitendo fans

But then do to majorly increased dev costs and a market that games are very high risk. A major jump in hardware would be a huge risk for publishers

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

Damn next gen is looking pretty bleak. If these rumors are true, we have a gimped Nintendo console, a casual focused Microsoft console and a "no used games" SONY console.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

If this is the truth: I was planning on getting AC3 on Wii U, but will instead get it on PS3 and probably wait for a price drop before getting Wii U if at all. As someone just said, if these rumors end up being true, I'll just skip next batch of consoles all together and focus on PC gaming and handhelds.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

I'm sure the Wii-U will be fine.

I think they want to be competitive, when it comes to third party support. And if third parties want power, Nintendo shall supply power.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It probably is, but if I do get the Wii U, it won't be for the graphics that's for sure, I mean, what kind of pc gamer with a good rig buys a console for the graphics?
magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts

Really now?

ShuichiChamp24

This. And I find it laughable that they feel the need to be anonymous.

flipdc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 flipdc5
Member since 2005 • 1312 Posts

WiiU seems like the ultimate disaster

loosingENDS

It's like 2006 again.

Now this time the Wii has a U besides it.

Not dissagreeing with what you said, just feelling a little nastolgia trip.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 loosingENDS

If this is the truth: I was planning on getting AC3 on Wii U, but will instead get it on PS3 and probably wait for a price drop before getting Wii U if at all. As someone just said, if these rumors end up being true, I'll just skip next batch of consoles all together and focus on PC gaming and handhelds.

Bigboi500

Xbox 720 and PS4 will be super powerfull

Only Nintnedo makes so weak systems, Wii was 6 years old hardware at its launch

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
"We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers." And that's why Nintendo wins. And why they'll be getting my money next gen, and not Sony or MS.
Peanut04_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Peanut04_basic
Member since 2002 • 724 Posts
Well, if the rumors are true, I'll be highly disappointed. At the end of the day, I'll still get it, just later in the cycle than I originally planned. They have some of my favorite ip's. I guess I can get all my multiplats on my pc. If these rumors are true, then we have every reason to believe the rumors about Sony and Ms are true. If their rumors are true, I wouldn't touch their consoles with a ten foot pole.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 loosingENDS

"We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers." And that's why Nintendo wins. And why they'll be getting my money next gen, and not Sony or MS.SoraX64

And where are all those amazing games then ?

All those years only Zelda SS and Muramasa were decent and Zelda is still in a huge decline

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

So Nintendo actually responded to the Wii U power rumors that have been going around lately, and with more than just a 'We do not comment on rumors and speculation...'

charizard1605
really? here is the actual quote from Digital Trends

A representative of Nintendo of America neither confirmed nor denied the report for Digital Trends. "We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

Digital Trends
This tells us basically nothing, or rather it tells us everything. If Nintendo could deny this, they surely would.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChubbyGuy40

All those years only Zelda SS and Muramasa were decent and Zelda is still in a huge decline

loosingENDS

There's plenty of great quality games for the Wii. They aren't sh1tty enough to satisfy your Kinect tastes though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Audacitron
really? here is the actual quote from Digital Trends

A representative of Nintendo of America neither confirmed nor denied the report for Digital Trends. "We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

Digital Trends
This tells us basically nothing, or rather it tells us everything. If Nintendo could deny this, they surely would.

I know, this quote is in the OP you know.
Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts
Less powerful than the HD twins? ninty.... *smh*
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Pathetic console version 2012. I read this and it makes me mad. "They'll look as good but not better" is this supposed to be positive? ps360 games looks like blurry trash and aren't getting better (some like Uc3 looks good though). WiiU follows exactly the same path Wii did. Did i said exactly? Sad but when the two other options are available, who really cares? certainly not sheep that are playing their games in 480i and we're in 2012...
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
All of these rumors are pointless, I'll be waiting until the system is fully unveiled.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

that theard was not funny why do u keep talking about it?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silversix_
^Don't think this E3 Nintendo will unveil WiiU's specs, so you'll have to wait until its released and some1 opens it and dissect the thing. You really think Nintendo would want to disappoint all core gamers if its cpu is weaker than crappy and outdated relic 360 has? -.-
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#34 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Remember, 3rd party companies helped to develop the Wii U with Nintendo.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
^Don't think this E3 Nintendo will unveil WiiU's specs, so you'll have to wait until its released and some1 opens it and dissect the thing. You really think Nintendo would want to disappoint all core gamers if its cpu is weaker than crappy and outdated relic 360 has? -.-silversix_
At least by then I'll actually have seen some gameplay and be able to judge for myself. But you're right, we won't know anything for sure until it's released.
Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
So the only reason to get the console is for nintendo games ? It really looks like the WiiU will be competing with the 360/ps3
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Audacitron"] This tells us basically nothing, or rather it tells us everything. If Nintendo could deny this, they surely would.

I know, this quote is in the OP you know.

- then why did you suggest that it was anything more than a bland 'no comment' type response. From your description, I was expecting them to systematically dismantle the rumours and set the record straight. On the contrary, by addressing them without debunking them, they are essentially endorsing them. It's like if you accused someone of beating their wife and they respond with "our love for one another will always be more important than raw bruises".
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

ChubbyGuy40

There's plenty of great quality games for the Wii. They aren't sh1tty enough to satisfy your Kinect tastes though.

2 games is not plenty

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
I'm wondering, how exactly will WiiU get 3rd party ports when ps720 are released? Unless they're both weak, its not even possible...
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I guess... they might have to focus on something other than general games in order to make it seem more appealing. I guess in the end that's what they were going for.

I'm wondering, how exactly will WiiU get 3rd party ports when ps720 are released? Unless they're both weak, its not even possible...silversix_

It's what people are saying, if it is just like the 360 and ps3 or even just a bit stronger then they'll lose 3rd party support once the ps4 and nextbox hit stores.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

"I suppose you don't need sophisticated physics to make a Mario game."

I guess this guy never played Galaxy... This is getting annoying.
christiankhs-2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 christiankhs-2
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts

as a nintendo fan i want to dream, but i must stop kidding myself about Wii U s power, if the Wii u is gonna powerfull Nintendo would say it already just for HYPE , there is no reason to keep it as "secret"

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I'm going to treat Nintendo as I am treating Activision and their CoD franchise. I refuse to buy another one of their products until they have change their ways.

Pandajerk63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Pandajerk63
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I will wait till E3 comes, but this upsetting news. I for one want to see a mario game to look as best as it can be.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Still not believing the WiiU low power rumors because ninty's response tells us nothing.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 loosingENDS

Seems that WiiU will be far weaker than xbox 720, as it seems more weak than Wii was to xbox 360

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

I know these are all rumors, but... well, they're becoming more and more common, and now I'm starting to get a bit worried again.

Who to believe? E3 can't come soon enough.

charizard1605

What makes you think E3 will clarify anything - about the gap between the Wii U and PS360 at least?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the thing is that I bet they are gonna sell this console for like $300 if the 3DS was anything to go by. And $300 for a console that offers less than PS3/Xbox after 6 years is quite pathetic. :cry:

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

2 games is not plenty

The 360 has no quality games at all

CLOUDsea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CLOUDsea
Member since 2012 • 1095 Posts

"We do not focus on technology specs. We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers." And that's why Nintendo wins. And why they'll be getting my money next gen, and not Sony or MS.SoraX64

Why?