Twists for the sake of twists: God of War ending (SPOILERS obviously)

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

So, yeah, I just finished the GoW story portion of the game. Amazing game, definitely worth the hype, yadayada and all that. BUT that anti-climating ending... ugh

So, the moral of the story is this: Kratos is still a terrible father. First he kills his own daughter (wich isnt addressed in this game in the slightest, wich was disappointing) and now, after all that he went through to raise his boi right... he will become Loki... wait, wut?

Am I the only one here who got anoyed with that forced twist? It made no sense at all.

Anyway, how was your day?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

The way I took it is that Atreus "becomes" Loki to get revenge on Freya for eventually killing Kratos. I didn't have a problem with it, but I'm not big on GoW's storyline anyway.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Thougt this was gonna be about Thor.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I remember seeing an interview with Barlog were he spoke about how some on the team made the pitch for Atreus being Loki pretty late in development. I wonder were I saw that? Perhaps in a GameSpot interview?

Anyhow It seems like good and bad in Norse mythology have been reversed in the God Of War version. So Loki may turn out to be a real stand up guy.

Edit: It's here: https://youtu.be/JflRPkSAH8A?t=836

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

The whole series is built on a massive twist in mythology, that a demi god named Kratos became the god of war and killed of most of the greek pantheon. Now that same greek god resides in midgard and has a child with a giant. The whole story is twisted. I don't mind it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

The whole series is built on a massive twist in mythology, that a demi god named Kratos became the god of war and killed of most of the greek pantheon. Now that same greek god resides in midgard and has a child with a giant. The whole story is twisted. I don't mind it.

A twist? Marvel does it far worst then in God of War cause Marvel's Thor is barely accurate to the Norse Mythology but then again, I'm cool with it since Thor is the only source I have when it comes to Norse Mythology, but if you want my opinion, I prefer's God of War Norse then Marvel's Thor myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

How is it forced? As far as I know, Loki indirectly kills Baldur with the mistletoe by tricking his brother into doing it in Norse mythology (although I think in some versions/stories he does it himself). Loki's also associated with animals (potentially due to his shapeshifting and his family, but that's just from what I've read and I don't know much about this). Baldur's death is one of the events that led up to Ragnarok and Loki's a god and giant. Atreus also spoke to the world serpent. These are all clues that were shown in the game. It also explains why Freya tried to destroy the mistletoe when she saw it on Atreus.

I thought the ending was excellent, especially because it sets up a lot of crazy events for future games. Loki's the father of Jormungandr so there's definitely going to be some time travel stuff going on.

Kratos is, I'd argue, a good father by the end of the game. It's not easy to see the errors of your past and do everything in your power to ensure your child doesn't repeat those mistakes. You especially see the dichotomy between him and Baldur in that last boss fight. Kratos learned to trust Atreus and is letting him become his own god/person, despite knowing that Kratos is going to die soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

I did not care as much about the twist like some other people did but it definitly makes Atreus future more interesting.

A little off topic but the story why Kratos decided to name him Atreus is pretty great and one of my favorite story beats.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

didn't like the crossover , they sure ruined the Norse mythology

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

The story was completely stupid in new GoW. They didn't touch how Kratos became the person he was in GoW from the ragging maniac in previous games at all. The change is personality is jarring and stupid. No, it wasn't because he was married and had a son. He was married before and has a daughter yet was a villain and all. I don't know how someone praise the story and continuity in GoW with a straight face.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I couldn't stand this game. Nothing really make sense when Kratos was a maniac killing everything in his path and destroyed Greece. I thought the ending in 3 was perfect after destroying everything because of what he did and how it couldn't even erease his nightmare of killing his daughter, he is now alone and still stuck with his nightmare.

They never touched that in Daddy of War.

That game got too much TLOUS for me.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

It meant nothing to me since I couldn't stand the kid throughout the whole game anyway.

It's like someone punching you in the face for hours, and then going "oh, and I bent one of your spoons." Whatever

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

So many salty people in this thread.... PC_Rocks especially.....

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

I mean I don't really see how it's forced.

It will feel forced if they move on to other games and don't really address that his son is Loki and it doesn't come up in any meaningful way, but for now it's a solid setup for stories to come. I largely feel the same way about things like why Kratos isn't a psycho, or how the world ended in GoW 3 but now everything seems fine. They're problems but if it's a story that will be continuing on into other games I am willing to reserve judgement until everything has played out.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

It was lazy writing. A throwaway line that has no bearing on anything.

Also, the repeat final boss was super lame. But the game had a ton of repeated battles that were flat out boring.

Game of the gen my azz.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

No, not forced at all, it's been hinted through the whole game, specially if you know something about norse mythology.

The biggest hint comes from the world serpent, it claims it knows Atreus. The world serpent is also Loki's son, and it travels to the past, hence, the world serpent recognizes its own father on Atreus.

So, no, not forced, you just don't know norse mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6rmungandr