Turn Based JRPGs shoud stop being made.

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
They should stop making generic WWII FPSes. :roll:
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
They should stop making generic WWII FPSes. :roll:TrueReligion_
DEFINITELY....you can tell the market is becoming overly-saturated for a kind of game when devs have to assure people that their version of a game type is very differentiated.
kuza_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 kuza_9999
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts
i just dont understand how, in this world of unparalleled technology (yes i know console processors are parallel), a Turn based rpg can be so wildly popular (FF)

i always thought that rpgs were turn based because complex combat couldnt be done on old systems. but now that we have amazing processors and graphics, why do we still have turn based games???

now dont get me wrong, i play a mean rpg, (wrpg: xmen, marvel, fable) but arent video games supposed to be exciting?? i thought so. so flame me if you want, but i think developers are doing uss a disservice making these games.

BTW, rpg is role playing game, right? how the hell am i playing a role by selecting an attack through a menu and watching a pre rendered animation of my character attacking an equally pre rendered foe???
darrowby88
1. ff has changed to a WOW type battle system 2. manypeople like turn based games. i still play old final fantasies. they bring a more calculating sense then other genres 3. the rpg is related to being able to customize characters (from total customization like in Oblivion to weapons and spell customization of Fianl Fantasy) 4. just because you aren't constantly moving doesn't make a game un-exciting rpgs have a fanbase, so making them isn't a disservice. if you don't like them, don't buy them. more for the rest of us to enjoy :)
kuza_9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 kuza_9999
Member since 2005 • 429 Posts
[QUOTE="ArisShadows"]Because people like diffrent things. I play D&D, no images, turn-based and I love it.darrowby88
but i dont get why. its like watching a movie instead of playing a game

if you controlled the movie entirely then sure. but isn't a shooter a glorified point-and-click?
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19585 Posts
3. the rpg is related to being able to customize characters (from total customization like in Oblivion to weapons and spell customization of Fianl Fantasy)kuza_9999

For the sake of arguement, wouldn't that definition imply that most modern racing games are RPGs, too?
Hell, it would apply to just about every gaming genre, nowadays.

RPGs aren't just about customisation...but any definition I can come up with would exclude JRPGs, and probably start a flame war. :P
elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts
i just dont understand how, in this world of unparalleled technology (yes i know console processors are parallel), a Turn based rpg can be so wildly popular (FF)

i always thought that rpgs were turn based because complex combat couldnt be done on old systems. but now that we have amazing processors and graphics, why do we still have turn based games???

now dont get me wrong, i play a mean rpg, (wrpg: xmen, marvel, fable) but arent video games supposed to be exciting?? i thought so. so flame me if you want, but i think developers are doing uss a disservice making these games.

BTW, rpg is role playing game, right? how the hell am i playing a role by selecting an attack through a menu and watching a pre rendered animation of my character attacking an equally pre rendered foe???
darrowby88

well you should stop making threads...
Sovereign727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Sovereign727
Member since 2006 • 673 Posts

darrowby88
Because real time combat does not have the potential to be as complex as turn based combat. For example you wouldn't be able to control 4 characters at the same time, select attacks and skills and magic and have time to even think about it. When final fantasy went real time the amount of control you had over your party dropped heavily. (Unless you paused every 2 seconds, defeating the purpose of real time combat anyway)
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
Random battles are terrible, but turn based combat has some appeal. It's nice to be able to relax in combat. When playing an FPS (my favorite genre) you are stressed out since you always need to be on guard. Turn based combat allows you to relax and take your time while strategizing. KOTOR has the most advanced turn based combat. Believe it or not, Enchanted Arms has an excellent turn based system, too. I tend to believe that all games should be first or third person and real time. But I admit that I enjoy turn based combat, too. The key is that we always move forward and develop something new. It seems like JRPGs rely on 15 year old game engines for their combat.
WeAreToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 WeAreToast
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

darrowby88
And still, Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl will probably sell like no other.
Silchas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Silchas
Member since 2006 • 17050 Posts

Because people like diffrent things. I play D&D, no images, turn-based and I love it.ArisShadows

I still play pokemon. Awesome...
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
[QUOTE="darrowby88"]i just dont understand how, in this world of unparalleled technology (yes i know console processors are parallel), a Turn based rpg can be so wildly popular (FF)

Sovereign727
Because real time combat does not have the potential to be as complex as turn based combat. For example you wouldn't be able to control 4 characters at the same time, select attacks and skills and magic and have time to even think about it. When final fantasy went real time the amount of control you had over your party dropped heavily. (Unless you paused every 2 seconds, defeating the purpose of real time combat anyway)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is an example of controlling 3 characters simultaneously. It really fells like you are in control of a squad. The difference between KOTOR and your typical JRPG is that your attacks happen in true 3D space. So, you can surround a single target, or find yourself surrounded by 5 enemies. It's unfortuante that many people didn't understand the combat in KOTOR. It was a true evolution in turn based combat.
oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
because they are tried and proven with the test of time.
Gaara79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Gaara79
Member since 2005 • 4476 Posts

The same reason Chess still is played. Some people like strategic turn based games.

Thinking up a strategy and then seeing it work is very satisfying.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#64 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Chess should stop being played. There's better technology now :| ...My sarcasm is diminished by the post above me. I have failed :(
Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Kinitari
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
To be honest, sometimes I'll grow tired of a JRPG, but finish it -just- for the story... so in a sense it can be like a movie. A long... 40-80 hour movie thats -VERY- interactive.

But yeah, I just think the TC was confused as to how JRPG's can be exciting/fun or anything, and you know... maybe he hasn't tried it out himself, or maybe he just genuinely doesn't enjoy them - but there is a huge fanbase, and it'd be a sore mistake if they weren't around anymore. But one thing I would like to see is more innovation in the JRPG turn-based genre. Not in combat or anything, as it is usually unique from game to game, it just makes me sad when I can predict EVERY single twist and turn in a story (im looking at you Rogue Galaxy). The game is still fun, and I still enjoy the story, but Im just not -as- sucked in.
haris12121212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 haris12121212
Member since 2004 • 7560 Posts

darrowby88
Racing games should stop being made, Because I don't like em American Football games shoudl stop being made cause I don't like em Boxing Games should stop being made cause I don't like em