Top 3 Games Of All Time (so far) With Reasons

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SkullboyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 SkullboyX
Member since 2004 • 6407 Posts

1. Super Mario Galaxy

Great graphics, sound, gameplay; really imaginative levels, puzzles, etc.; immersive worlds (or galaxies, in this case ;) ); great replay value

2. Paper Mario

Witty dialog; near-perfect battle formula; unique visual styIe; pretty long

3. Super Smash Bros Melee (soon to be replaced by Brawl)

I got it a month after it came out (2001), and still play it regularly/host tournaments today; great cast of fighters; infinite replay value; huge soundtrack; lots of levels; lots of options

k_smoove
lol at your sig.
VoodooGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 VoodooGamer
Member since 2007 • 1864 Posts

Morrowind- Excellent setting and atmosphere paired with the most provacative universe in video game history.
Fallout- Excellent gameplay along with a fantastic world.
Diablo- Fantastic Gameplay, Unique Setting, and amazing multi-player.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Not the best, but my personal favorites:
1) Fire Emblem. A story so great that it makes Harry Potter want to cry in a corner. I love the RPG/Strategy mix.
2) Super Smash Bros. Melee. Awesome multiplayer, I've gotten so much time on that game its not funny.
3) Mario and Luigi: Super Star Sega. Just pure awesomeness. I've gotten more play throughs on that game then any other game.

Honorable Mentions: Guitar Hero 2, Rock Band, Mass Effect, Pokemon Gold, and Paper Mario.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts

1. Golden Sun 1 & 2: Great Story, best graphics on the GBA, loads and loads of sidequests, the setting.

2. Super Smash Bros Brawl: Simple, it has everything a game can have and a bit more. My favorite quote from Sakurai "Wow. I hate t say it but we have really thought of everything"

3. LoZ: OoT: Revolutionary... 'nuff said.

Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#55 Axel_rocks14
Member since 2007 • 780 Posts
1. Ocarina of Time

Why: It's only the highest rated game ever

2. Super Metroid/ Prime 1 (Tied)

Why: Incredibly immersive and fun

3. Super Mario 64/ Galaxy (tied)

Why: Incredible gameplay and level design. But most of all, it's just fun.
Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Axel_rocks14

1) Fire Emblem. A story so great that it makes Harry Potter want to cry in a corner. I love the RPG/Strategy mix.
2) Super Smash Bros. Melee. Awesome multiplayer, I've gotten so much time on that game its not funny.
3) Mario and Luigi: Super Star Sega. Just pure awesomeness. I've gotten more play throughs on that game then any other game.

Honorable Mentions: Guitar Hero 2, Rock Band, Mass Effect, Pokemon Gold, and Paper Mario.

Grodus5
when did you start gaming?
iGame_Champion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 iGame_Champion
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts

Come! ON! PEOPLE!

1. Super Mario 64, showed people how to do 3D platformers, not to mention galaxy did it again.

2. Halo, showed the best of the best of a console FPS

3. GTA Series 3 and beyond, spawned a crap load of clones, set standards for it's genre.

Instead of throwing out FPS 2 and 3 and not showing respect for what really made it. What? Did we start gaming a year ago?

Shadow-Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Shadow-Eagle
Member since 2004 • 953 Posts

1. Fallout

2. Baldur's Gate II

3. Planescape: Torment

iGame_Champion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 iGame_Champion
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts
[QUOTE="Grodus5"]

Axel_rocks14

Please do not ask him that, and Im not being mean, but your choices scream, average sheep.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

3) Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Best RPG ever made, also the sequel to what was previously the best RPG ever made.

2) StarCraft/BroodWar
Blizzard's most refined RTS game yet, first game to ever truly balance 3 completely different races perfectly, even though each race has its own special talents and abilities. Simply a blast to play.

1) Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Best turn based strategy game ever made, best game ever made.

NWA_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 NWA_31
Member since 2006 • 11922 Posts

3) Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Best RPG ever made, also the sequel to what was previously the best RPG ever made.

2) StarCraft/BroodWar
Blizzard's most refined RTS game yet, first game to ever truly balance 3 completely different races perfectly, even though each race has its own special talents and abilities. Simply a blast to play.

1) Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Best turn based strategy game ever made, best game ever made.

MetroidPrimePwn

I am surprised Metroid Prime isn't on your list.

frankeyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#62 frankeyser
Member since 2004 • 5667 Posts

Diablo 1 & 2 spent more time playing them than any other games ever.

half life 1 & 2 (including all mods) greatest FPS series ever

gumshoe I sill play this light gun game

on a different day my answers would be

radiant silver gun best top down shooter ever

yoshi's island (super mario 4) best 2-d platformer ever

chrono trigger no explination needed

depends on the day what my top three games of all time are. my top 25 always changes.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus - Simply the best action/adventure title out there. Nothing feels better than taking down a colossi. :D

Jak II - The sequal to Jak and Daxter, it takes a big change in direction from fantasy to sci-fi in a very good way. Simply the best PS2 title out there.

Star Wars: Republic Commando - The storyline is intense from the beginning to enda nd the friendly A.I. is *gasp* smart! :o

The reason why I listed these titles is because I'm sick and tired of listing the same obvious title and leaving the other excellent games. Shadow of the Colossus, however, just needs mentioning.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Wow, I love deus ex. Didn't realize there were so many fans of it out there.

It's too difficult for me to pick 3 games, but I also saw someone say Star Control II. I've been playing through it the last month and a half or so and I can honestly say i've never been as impressed by the scope of a classic pc game. The moment you look at the star map and realize that there are thousands of planets to visit, you just have to wonder why everyone doesn't play this game.CerMakAlot
Deus Ex has quite a following, and for good reason. As for SC2, I don't understand how it flew under the radar for a lot of people. Ever since I started playing it, I eventually decided that it was up to me to spread the word and tell everyone about this excellent experience that they've overlooked. Oh, and after you set up the Sa-Matra the bomb at the end, be sure to check out Starflight 1 and 2-the two games that basically set the stage for Star Control II. (I'd recommend the Amiga versions, as they have a nice, mouse-driven interface and enhanced graphics, as well as being easy to emulate with WinUAE. However, you'll have to find your own copy of the Kickstart 1.3 ROM for use with WinUAE and these particular games.)
Avatar image for deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5f6dd6241fdcc
Member since 2003 • 6249 Posts
There isn't a top 3. There are simply TOO many!
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

1. Chrono trigger - It's just plain awsome on all fronts

2. Tony Hawks Underground - The most perfect THPS game. infinite replay value with incredibly deep gameplay.

3. Zelda Oracle of Seasons/Ages - Best zelda expirence I've ever had.

Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts

Mine...

1) Goldeneye - countless hours of play on this. favoriteN64 game.

2) Resident Evil 4 - played through the game more than half a dozen times, not to mention the mercenaries. favorite GC game.

3 Fire Emblem (GBA) - Great story, interesting characters, addictive gameplay. 'Nuff said.

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

1- Tie Fighter - no other space combat game as ever go it all so right

2- Quake - The first Online FPS i played and still the most i have played

3- Golderneye- More Fun playing against freinds in the same room than any game has provided

gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

1. Starsiege Tribes v1.

Reasons: solid network code makes this game playable online with 32max over 56K modems, full support for mods, game balances where all weapons, all vehicles are useful. There is no useless weapon since each thing is useful depending on the situation. Deployables that stick almost anywhere, even to the ceiling or under the floating base., Skiing, deployable sensor network is useful, Simple effective communication system to chatting with team in a fast pace FPS., Regenerative Shield. Excellent maps.

2. Civilization

Reasons: Turn based and very strategic game. Excellent empire building, Learn about history while playing. Excellent and manageable UI.

3. Counterstrike

Reasons: mods, simple yet very fun, close-quarter combat, easy to pick up and play if you don't have a lot of time.

more...

magic candle 1, master of orion, dune 2000, starcraft, railroad tycoon, empire, eye of the beholder, heavy gear 2,

MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

1. Chrono Trigger

Reason: The greatest RPG to grace video games, best overall by all means. Its SOOO good that its half-assed sequel got 10/10 here and high scores across the boards.

2. Pokemon Gold/Silver

Reason: Red and Blue were overly great but Gold and Silver took it to a whole new level, tons of stuff to do and to be honest, kept my interest for a LARGE chunk of my childhood.

3. Counter-Strike 1.6/Source

Reason: This game has withstood the test of time for multiplayer gaming aside from starcraft and is the pinnacle of competitive gaming and its also the pinnacle of skill required to play it, in other words, it makes Halo look like a pansy paradise.

PDark_Prodigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PDark_Prodigy
Member since 2005 • 566 Posts

This is hard I hate these threads! However since im here let me start with the RTS genre.

I Give it to Starcraft. Runner ups being Command & Conquer Gold and Compnay of Heros.

For the adventure genre I give it to LoZ OoT. Yes I agree MM...is...better because it is different, but in reality and when I think back to when i first played OoT it was pehnomenal and I think the fact that I played it so much is the reason I now prefer MM. But ultimately I give it to OoT. Runner up would be a platformer adventure but nonetheless Super Metroid was and still is and will always be a classic.

Now for FPS, well its tough really tough. I really fancy this genre but I give it to nope not Half Life 2 or HL1, nor UT or Halo nor Timesplitters 2 which by they way probably has more replay value then either HL2 UT or Halo. It was just downright great fun. But I give it to Perfect Dark, a game that today still has more multiplayer options then almost any FPS out there more guns and a wider variety of guns then most FPS. And a decent story line for the time and for its TIME was Perfect.

So to recap it goes: Starcraft, OoT and Perfect Dark in no particular oder. In my opinion anyway. I am not a huge rpg or sports fan so I didn't touch on those genre's obviously I picked my favorite three genres. But thats just me thinking on the fly tomorrow maybe I will think differently.

For storyline though HL2 takes the cake for me anyways.

LeeSan420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LeeSan420
Member since 2008 • 451 Posts

Fallout 1/2

drugs/whores/killing children

Half-Life (series)

best experince in a single player fps hands down

Diablo (series)

I played this probably more than all my other games combined (and thats 1,000s of games)

stunt73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 stunt73
Member since 2004 • 81 Posts

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory

Super Mario Kart

Bubble Bobble

:D

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

DMC 1 - got me into slash em ups and i just fell in love with the series.

OoT - This game, i cannot describe the feeling this game gave me it was just something special and that has stuck with me since the first time i played it. it was like falling in love and you dont know how to describe your feelings.(god i sound like i want to make love to my Oot box)

bomberman(mega drive) - introduced me to how much un you can have in multiplayer.

SmyttyGuy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SmyttyGuy94
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts

God Of War Series

Resident Evil 4

Orange Box

xxxBravo_3xxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 xxxBravo_3xxx
Member since 2006 • 469 Posts

Tales Of Symphonia-only RPG i ever liked

Super Mario Galaxy-Most amazing gameplay I have ever seen, extremely creative

Super smash bros melee-Longest lasting game, I still play it and find new things everyday

-shmelo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#77 -shmelo-
Member since 2006 • 931 Posts

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time- First 3D Zelda game with game play that is copied today in many games and revolutionized gaming as we know it.

Super Mario 64- Revolutionized video gaming forever.

Final Fantasy 12- This is just my opinion on FF, I liked the new battle system and I love Fran and Balthier, the two of them should have a spin off of their adventures as sky pirates.

ilovesandrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 ilovesandrine
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts
Final fantasy 8 ,Zelda OoT and elder scrolls 3 and also Pokemon on game boy and banjo .
AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Half-life : Simply the best game of the 90s. I didnt say that myself. Most of the big sites and magazines said that !! And i beleive them!! Simply one of the best games i ever played (back then)

FF7 : Ehmm no many things to say here. Was my first epic JRPG experience in 3d and i simply couldnt stop playing.

SF2 + TEKKEN : As an arcade-fan i can easily say that both made the difference in fight genre. SF2 was my favorite arcade sicne its first appearance in arcades,and i played it (almost daily til li bought in for my genesis) for about 2 years. Same for tekken,truly amazing fighting. We had a crazy-fun and epic fights.

Some games deserving be on my top 3 but theres no plenty room for them:

1)Resident Evil1+2 + Code veronica 2) Sonic the hedgehog 3)Sonic Adventure 4)MSG1+3 5)Shen mue 6)Diablo1+2

Cute_Red_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Cute_Red_Panda
Member since 2008 • 1734 Posts

My favorite top 3 of all time:

1. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES): Some days my thumbs were faster than my brother. Some days my brother's thumbs were faster then mines. At any rate, a game has to be great knowingly going in you were leaving with sore thumbs...

2. Final Fantasy VII (PSX): The first time I sat after completing the game and said,"This should be a movie". No game has come close to the epic feel FFVII brought (maybe FFX).

3. Street Fighter 2 (ARC): Wow...My heart smiles everytime I think about the first time I played this game. I wasted $10 worth of my lunch money each week to this game. My mother was so upset when I always was coming home hungry.

hashyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 hashyboy
Member since 2007 • 277 Posts

half life - this game was revolutionary fps, which created a great mod community.

starcraft - a rts that sets the bar for accessibility and balance.

resident evil 4 - best third person shooter, still very superior to gears of war. had rpg like elements as well as in your face horror action

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
Jesus Christ have you guys been gaming since yesterday?DireToad

I was thinking the exact same thing...
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts

Smash Brothers Brawl - Best game I've played that can be a party game (anyone can play) and a competitive game especially with the balancing done.

World of Warcraft - Best online MMORPG and probably one of the best MMOs ever.

Counter-Strike - has to the most addicting FPS I've ever played.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
Counter-Strike 1.6

- For a simple reason, its the best FPS of all time.

GTA Franchise

- Easily The Funnest Franchise of All Time

Too many good games to choose 3rd, I cant decide
abusedbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 abusedbunny
Member since 2007 • 1196 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 1

Final Fantasy 7

Ninja Gaiden Black

Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#86 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

1. Final Fantasy 7

2. Halo 3

3. Final Fantasy 10

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

1. Senmue(both 1 and 2)Only game to ever make me swell up with so much raw emotion and awe I felt like crying. The story is the best I've ever come across as well.

2. Half-Life 2: simply the best FPS for a reason. This game is beyond words the greatest game for every reason possible.

3. Final Fantasy 7: The greatest in the series and the game that I judge all other RPGs by. This game is breathtaking every time I play it, and I have played it A LOT over the past decade.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#88 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

1.The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Why? Because it's experience that I never get bored with everytime I play it. When I play it, I always finish it, that how immersive it is for me. Characters? Check. Weapons? Check. Incredible lvl design? Check. Superb Music? Check. Amazing and well rewarded amount of Side quests? double Check. This game has it all....

2. The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask. Why, Read number 1's reason.

3. Metroid Prime. Why? Because of it's atmosphere, unique scanning system, stylish battle sequenses, superb graphics, well made music. and immpressive boss batles...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#89 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

1) Halo Combat Evolved: Reasons: while Halo 2 and Halo 3 were just improving the core gameplay and perfecting it and having better MP options and online gamplay Halo 1 was the best Halo. THe campaign was awesome, the scale was great even then, the battles were epic, the AI was superb, it was challanging, the PC Online was awesome(Remember hermits Halo 1 PC=AAA) This was the first and IMO the only time a console shooter could run with the elite PC shooters. Bungie needs to recapture some of that magic.

2) Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time- The most revolutionary experience when it came out, the nostalgia and the life that game had for its time was just awesome. It is IMO the best zelda. Which in a franchise like Zelda is saying a whole lot.

3) Metal Gear Solid- great story, great characters, fun gameplay, fun bosses, great cinematic feel, and great music.

MGS 4 is going to own.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]
  1. Deus Ex- One of the most interesting and creative shooter-RPG hybrids we've seen since, well, ever. The game Bioshock wishes it was.
  2. Balur's Gate 2- The. Best. RPG. Ever.
  3. NHL 94- Literally the most fun you can have with your pants on.
SkullboyX
lol, wut?!?!?!!?!?

Epic Fail for actually assuming what he said is stupid.

Baldurs Gate 2 is simply god like. Have you played it?
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Tales of Symphonia: good story, people say the characters were generic, but I liked them, awesome gameplay and the co-op really did it for me. It was so fun to play co-op with friends.

Final Fantasy 7: awesome story, awesome world, awesome characters, awesome villain, and it never gets old.

Super Smash Bros. Melee: I could play this game all day. It is just too much fun.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 jg4xchamp

My top 3 are the games ive spent most hours on

1.Gears Of War-never get bored of blowing skulls off

2.COD2(360)-fast, fun, and i am very good at it

3..HaloCE(PC)first PC game i bought, online was very addictive and fun, especially capture the flag.

Mkavanaugh77
Remember the ICE world and Death Island.

I swear to god if you didnt use a vehicle, it was the longest most difficult run back ever...........dang it i wish there was a death island on the 360, but the consoles couldnt handle it I bet.
TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#95 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

Top 3 means leaving out so many great games but what the heck...( what follows is entirely my opinion)

1. Resident Evil 4 - The closest to perfection that any game has ever reached. Perfect controls, relentless action, challenging gameplay, incredible boss fights, fantastic graphics, brilliantly fearsome enemies and the merchant is the coolest game character ever, (except for maybe Kratos) The best game i've ever had the pleasure to experience.

2. Super Mario Galaxy - The greatest platformer ever made, the best game Nintendo has ever produced, and the best game so far this generation. With excellent level design, great controls, and a huge number of very different environments, you've got one of the best games ever made. Mario 64 eat your heart out.

3. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - So what if it appeals to casual gamers. San Andreas kept me playing for a month straight without boredom even coming close to cropping up, resulting in 80+ hours of pure joy. GTA4 has a lot of work to do.

Honourable mentions: Metal Gear Solid 3, The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, Final Fantasy 7, God of War 2, Pro Evolution Soccer 3 etc.

And in case anyone asks, i've been gaming since 1993.

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

KotoR

Morrowind

Super Mario World

Axel_rocks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Axel_rocks14
[QUOTE="Axel_rocks14"][QUOTE="Grodus5"]

iGame_Champion

Please do not ask him that, and Im not being mean, but your choices scream, average sheep.

What is more than an average sheep?
Alfred91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Alfred91
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts

Rise of Nations- I am always Germany, I like that game so much no idea why. Might be my interest in both history and politics. O well great game, I own ze world..... basically.

Uncharted- Best single player. Nothing more needs to be said.

Maga man- HELLLLL YEAHHHHHHHHHH

Avatar image for Kritical_Strike
Kritical_Strike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Kritical_Strike
Member since 2006 • 4123 Posts

Ninja Gaiden Black

Devil May Cry 3&4

Starcraft

I don't know how many hours of my life I've used on these games, but it was all worth it :D

SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#100 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts

The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess:

This is the definition of epic. It's the best game i've played in my life and i just can't get tired of it. A truly incredible experience.

Wave Race: Blue Storm:

The Best racing game i've played, easilly one of the greatest ever made.

Age of Empires II:

I've put so much time into this game is not even funny