Time to NOT BUY MICRO TRANSACTION filled games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Just don't do it. Make a stand and stop supporting this horrible practice. I personally will not buy or support any of these games. Vote with your wallets. It's only done because people still buy these games and fork out additional money that throws balance off.

Also, your screwing things up for future generations. How many kids will ask their parents for games on Christmas, and they don't have access to half the content because it's locked behind real world money? That sucks.

I understand the debate that games cost a lot to make....learn to budget!! Games don't need to have the latest graphics. Find a middle ground and make it work. Theres still plenty of devs that release amazing looking games.

Nintendo, Bethesda, Naughty Dog and more, do this all the time. They don't suffer from sales.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

You can't stop Rich Gamers (Majority). They got money and they will spend it on microtransactions.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xantufrog
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I don't like it, you don't like it, but the vast majority of gamers aren't hanging around here worrying about it. They love the latest flashy AAA experience and as long as they can afford the premium CoD and BF2 experience their friends are paying for they will, apparently, buy in.

There's a ton of awesome grassroots game development right now that doesn't follow the nickel and dime model. My advice is to not waste anxiety on others shoveling money into the fire, and just support the games you love.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Aki2017

@indzman: LOL Rich gamers.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Aki2017

@xantufrog said:

I don't like it, you don't like it, but the vast majority of gamers aren't hanging around here worrying about it. They love the latest flashy AAA experience and as long as they can afford the premium CoD and BF2 experience their friends are paying for they will, apparently, buy in.

There's a ton of awesome grassroots game development right now that doesn't follow the nickel and dime model. My advice is to not waste anxiety on others shoveling money into the fire, and just support the games you love.

Your not wrong. I just worry these greedy companies will set a trend. I'll take that good advice though :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

What are the names of these games we should avoid?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@aki2017 said:

Nintendo, Bethesda, Naughty Dog and more, do this all the time. They don't suffer from sales.

wut?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Been there, done that for years now.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

That’s so cute

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Or you just buy the game and not buy the microtransactions. If people want to buy micros, more power to them.

Now if micros are the only way to obtain items and cant earn via gameplay, then i'll pass on the game, along with maps behind paid dlc(call of duty).

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aki2017

@BigBadBully: I'm not against DLC. It's extra content that was worked on.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

It's not the game you should avoid, just the micro's. If you think that not buying the game will stop this then i'm afraid you're wrong, companies like EA etc will just add more in it's more popular games.

The only way to stop it is to stop buying the micro's it's as simple as that.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

i will do as i pls bitch

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

No, I like AAA gaming and I will buy whatever I want with my money.

I just don't spend any money on loot crates or microtransactions and I think that's fine.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

I've never bought any microtransaction bullshit and I never will. I'm afraid that doesn't help, though.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

It's frustrating, and at somewhat of a breaking point but gamers need to vote with their wallets. I'm under the impression that BF2 sales are much lower than anticipated which is great, but not enough. Bought Forza 7 today, looks & plays pretty nice on my XBoneX but lo and behold- loot boxes! FFS. Then there's devs like Nintendo, Splatoon 2 has seen so many updates since launch, new stages, weapons, gear, and they haven't asked for a nickel above the games initial price. Don't try to say that it's a necessary evil, it's purely greed and it won't stop 'till we make it stop. YouTubers tube, bloggers blog, Twitchers twitch. The entire industry is at a dangerous crossroads and we have the responsibility of making sure that gaming exists tomorrow. Vote with your dollars damnit!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Generally just avoid full price retail game with micro-transaction/new buzz word "loot boxes" completely. :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Nintendo, Bethesda, Naughty Dog?

Huh?

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

It's one of the reasons I stopped buying CoD (and also they have sucked recently).

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

I could give less than a **** about microtransactions if:

1. I think the game is great fun

2: Microtransactions don't enable a player in online modes have constant unfair advantages to the point where if I don't buy I can't compete at all.

3. The natural progression system is complete bullshit.

For me, I personally have spent money in Halo 5, Assassins Creed Origins, and Forza Horizon 3 as all three felt fair to me and I never felt I absolutely had to buy anything to complete the game (ACO) or compete online (Halo 5, FH 3)

But as a die-hard HUGE Star Wars fan Battlefront 2 is the top of the shit-pile of horrible microtransactions systems. Destiny 2's progression system is damn near illegal. And I would never, ever buy anything in COD. So while I will protest certain games who's systems I personally feel are broken and unfair by not spending any of my money on them, I am not against all microtransactions as I have spent money to progress faster in ACO but played through half the game with no issues with the progression system in place. Its just I have two kids under the age of 4 and not nearly the hard grind time I used to have when playing games. And since I enjoy ACO so much I have no issue spending some extra cash to progress faster. Especially since I know if I had more gaming time in my life I wouldn't need to. Its just an adult perk in my eyes.

To close I don't think all microtransactions are bad. On a case-by-case basis considering the microtransaction system in place and natural player progression system, as well as the quality of the game those factors judge where my money does and does not go.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I'll by whatever I want. Just won't ever purchase any sort of micro transactions. Ever.

Games like Forza 7 are fine, since the economy hasn't been changed to make the player want to pay real money to speed up the grind and the loot boxes are just a fun way of unlocking stuff.

Games like Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 are abominations and should be avoided.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

There will be far greater concerns for future generations than paywall content.

Also, unfortunately, micro transactions aren’t going away.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@indzman: lol you think the majority of gamers are rich?!?!

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I'm not rich for sho. All you guys with i7, 1080 GTX , 32 gb rams, PS 4 Pro's , X1X , Switches, playing games on launch, getting lootboxes over original game cost must be damn rich lol

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@indzman said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I'm not rich for sho. All you guys with i7, 1080 GTX , 32 gb rams, PS 4 Pro's , X1X , Switches, playing games on launch, getting lootboxes over original game cost must be damn rich lol

I have a Switch, a Pro, and X and 2 kids. I'm not rich, my wife and I just manage our finances well. I give myself a certain amount of disposable income every month and go from there.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Just buy the game you like, don't bother buying loot boxes/Microtransactions within the game and you got nothing to worry about. Or better yet, just wait for GOTY edition with everything in the game for $60.

@indzman said:

You can't stop Rich Gamers (Majority). They got money and they will spend it on microtransactions.

Bitch please! I spend my money on:

But in all seriousness, I ain't rich, I have a nice career that pays well, I just happen to manage my money well and I have a Daughter to look out for and my sweet girlfriend and I'm da man who does it all. (And also party with the wild girls when I'm in the mood lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I don’t ever spend money on microtransactions and loot boxes myself, as long as I can enjoy the game without feeling that I need to spend money on those things then I’ll buy the game.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Aki2017

@Litchie said:

I've never bought any microtransaction bullshit and I never will. I'm afraid that doesn't help, though.

Any bit helps :) It's the principle

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Aki2017

@dr_vancouver said:

It's frustrating, and at somewhat of a breaking point but gamers need to vote with their wallets. I'm under the impression that BF2 sales are much lower than anticipated which is great, but not enough. Bought Forza 7 today, looks & plays pretty nice on my XBoneX but lo and behold- loot boxes! FFS. Then there's devs like Nintendo, Splatoon 2 has seen so many updates since launch, new stages, weapons, gear, and they haven't asked for a nickel above the games initial price. Don't try to say that it's a necessary evil, it's purely greed and it won't stop 'till we make it stop. YouTubers tube, bloggers blog, Twitchers twitch. The entire industry is at a dangerous crossroads and we have the responsibility of making sure that gaming exists tomorrow. Vote with your dollars damnit!

EXACTLY!!! I'm generally surprised how many silly replies i have gotten on this post. It's soo important we stop this before it becomes a larger issue then it already is :)

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Aki2017

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:
@indzman said:
@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

I have a Switch, a Pro, and X and 2 kids. I'm not rich, my wife and I just manage our finances well. I give myself a certain amount of disposable income every month and go from there.

Indeed. It's all about balance and budgeting.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

@aki2017 said:
@dr_vancouver said:

EXACTLY!!! I'm generally surprised how many silly replies i have gotten on this post. It's soo important we stop this before it becomes a larger issue then it already is :)

The last ps4 games I bought were Hellblade and Nex Machina, mainly because I wanted to support more mid-tier games. Before that the last game I bought was Fallout 4 (disappointment) at launch. I've only bought 2 games on disc since I got the system at launch. As bad as this microtransaction nonsense is, I've been fighting a different fight for years...BAD GAMES! I'm all onboard with fighting the abhorrent greed of these mofos, but we're at this point because so many out there are willing to eat whatever sh$t they shovel into your mouth. I mean how many mediocre Call of Duty's, Assassin Creeds, etc. does it take for everyone to see? Not to mention most of this trash is being built Skinner Boxes. You're being controlled Jack! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWtvrPTbQ_c

And it doesn't stop there. Movies are exactly the same with this crap. After Disney gets done buying the entire industry, what do you think will happen? You already get 15 regurgitated Marvel blops every year, Now we're into 3 years straight of Star Bores drivel. Or are you really just dying to see the new Despicable Me 7, or whatever generic blah they're telling you to like. All of this has got to stop.

Now with that said, I'm super optimistic to see people finally at least noticing some of this. I fear the obvious, that this uproar will be forgotten. But maybe it's finally gone too far...at least I hope.