Throttling the content, because Nintendo thinks we're stupid

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@namelessnobody said:

I'm amazed at TC and supporters getting upset with delayed-release content.

You know, as opposed to day-1 DLC and online subscriptions. Gaming has become tedious due to nickel-n-diming schemes. Waiting a whole NINE days for the next batch of content pales in comparison.

Delayed release content that's already in the game! Having Nintendo to hold your hand for 10 days before more of the tools come available.....

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#102 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This is exactly why I didn't like Splatoon at launch.

There was stuff in the advertisements that you couldn't even use until 1 week later after the game was launched.

And I was treated like I was the one in the wrong for pointing that out because I didn't follow the Splatoon Twitter or some shit.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: you should not buy mario maker either way, as its a joke they want 60 dollars for that game. Littlebigplanet came out in 2008 and had very similar level editor tools for user generated content, just like Mario Maker in 2015. The only difference is Littlebigplanet was still a full package with story and levels designed by Media Molecule.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@jcrame10: And yet you had to unlock editor content on that game also, darn them crazy mofos.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@drinkerofjuice said:

In all fairness, a less than two week wait isn't that big of a deal. It's not like the bullshit Square-Enix is doing with Hitman anyway. All the same I think something like this sets a terrible precedent that I hope Nintendo doesn't become too comfortable with.

Yeah except Nintendo did that bullshit Square-Enix is doing with Hitman already, that game is called Splatoon.

Months later and Splatoon feels like a brand new game. You may not like it but their plan worked. Kept the game feeling fresh and new, the community is thriving and excited for new features.

Love it or hate it, it works. And I have no problem with it as long as it's all a part of the initial cost of the game.

I agree. I'm guessing they did this to Splatoon to keep the online community still hyped to see everything. If they released everything in full form I couldn't see the community lasting as long on the Wii U. In this case, I believe Nintendo may think all the editing tools may confuse some out the gate. I believe it considering the insane NWC 15 levels that can be done.

To the OP. I see why Ninty doesn't think everyone is ready for a whole level editor out the gate. Everyone and their pet cat has already designed Mario levels in the past right. Simple as waking up in the morning.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: you should not buy mario maker either way, as its a joke they want 60 dollars for that game. Littlebigplanet came out in 2008 and had very similar level editor tools for user generated content, just like Mario Maker in 2015. The only difference is Littlebigplanet was still a full package with story and levels designed by Media Molecule.

Huh? I love LBP, but Mario Maker is a full package too, even with the dumb restrictions.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#107 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

There was stuff in the advertisements that you couldn't even use until 1 week later after the game was launched.

And I was treated like I was the one in the wrong for pointing that out because I didn't follow the Splatoon Twitter or some shit.

There are stuff in the trailers that are still not in the game, lol.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Mario destroys LBP in every single way as a platformer.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 FireEmblem_Man

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Fanboys will always crucify you when talking about any flaws in Nintendo's business strategy. It's very sickening

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@TrappedInABox91 said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@drinkerofjuice said:

In all fairness, a less than two week wait isn't that big of a deal. It's not like the bullshit Square-Enix is doing with Hitman anyway. All the same I think something like this sets a terrible precedent that I hope Nintendo doesn't become too comfortable with.

Yeah except Nintendo did that bullshit Square-Enix is doing with Hitman already, that game is called Splatoon.

Months later and Splatoon feels like a brand new game. You may not like it but their plan worked. Kept the game feeling fresh and new, the community is thriving and excited for new features.

Love it or hate it, it works. And I have no problem with it as long as it's all a part of the initial cost of the game.

I agree. I'm guessing they did this to Splatoon to keep the online community still hyped to see everything. If they released everything in full form I couldn't see the community lasting as long on the Wii U. In this case, I believe Nintendo may think all the editing tools may confuse some out the gate. I believe it considering the insane NWC 15 levels that can be done.

With how easy and quick it looks on video, i would think levels close to that could be created by everyone. I saw a dude create a cool looking level in like 2 minutes on that thing. Then he tested it about 15 times in 10 mins making adjustments, it was crazy. I think once people start to master the tools slowly they will understand the wait.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 FireEmblem_Man

@mesome713 said:

@jcrame10: And yet you had to unlock editor content on that game also, darn them crazy mofos.

Difference is, they didn't have to wait 10 days for everything to be unlocked. They at least have to play the game to get the tools.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:

Difference is, they didn't have to wait 10 days for everything to be unlocked. They at least have to play the game to get the tools.

You have to play Super Mario Maker to unlock the tools also, you cant just buy game wait ten days and have everything unlocked. LBP made you search like crazy to find simple level creator stuff.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 FireEmblem_Man

@mesome713 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:

You have to play Super Mario Maker to unlock the tools also, you cant just buy game wait ten days and have everything unlocked. LBP made you search like crazy to find simple level creator stuff.

But you have to wait a day to unlock them!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:

Thats the delivery mans fault. Let me guess, you wish to pay more money for faster shipping?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yep, this is some dumb fuckery. Not the huge deal that it's being made out to be, but a bit annoying and completely unnecessary.

Foolish Nintendo is foolish, but this doesn't bother me. I'll be too busy with MGSV anyways, probably pick up Mario Maker this holiday.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 FireEmblem_Man

@mesome713 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@mesome713 said:

Thats the delivery mans fault.

LOL, yes, that delivery man is Nintendo!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I'm really not all that interested by MM so it's not a big deal to me.

Many games withhold content early on. Mechanics aren't all present at the very start, nor is all content. It's why NG+ exists. What's bothersome here is that this is a game that is touting itself as a creative tool, and to go and withhold those tools for some arbitrary period is strange. What's Nintendo's purpose? To not overwhelm people and play nanny as usual? In that case, why not make the blocks unlockable with stages that demand proper utilization of them? And if not wishing to overwhelm is the reason, what about all those who buy the game after 9 days? What's the reason to have Nintendo hold the keys instead of placing them in the player's hands?

This doesn't make much sense.

Not many things these days are strange when it comes to Nintendo and the policy implemented by it because it is just normal practice. In situations like this people will normally fall back on the "there is a method to their madness" mantra but I can not apply it to Nintendo. Not much done by this company seems logical these days. I would think a game like this would offer all tools immediately available from the get go otherwise during this infancy stage many people will be unloading it after a few days when they find certain things unavailable. At least for me, this is the time period when I decide if I am going to persevere with said game or dump it for another.

That's the risk. Many won't bother sticking with a game that allows creation when the tools are leaked out. I'd still like to hear reasoning from Nintendo on this.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#118 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

That is strange and unnecessary. Don't know why Nintendo would do that. I'd probably just get the game nine days after release and not give a crap though.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#119 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

It's a glorified jedi mind trick because they gave you less than half the multiplayer.

It's an artificial service being paraded around as something beneficial to the player when it isn't mate, anyone pretending otherwise sipped way too much Nintendo Kool-Aid.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#120 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

To the OP. I see why Ninty doesn't think everyone is ready for a whole level editor out the gate. Everyone and their pet cat has already designed Mario levels in the past right. Simple as waking up in the morning.

This fallacy ignores years upon years of far more complicated and skill heavy multiplayer games not only launching strong out of the gate but maintaining their community without post-game support because the game itself was good enough to carry it. Smash didn't need it for instance, because it was a good enough of a game (even with its online issues). Splatoon mechanically is unique and good enough to have a solid run, and in the case of the WiiU, it's not exactly loaded with competition for multiplayer.

Likewise so many more complicated development tools are out there, if you're worried about kids, that's on Nintendo to have better teaching tools. They don't need to actually patronize the older players buying their games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I personally don't like it, but could it have something to do with people bombarding the servers with really poor levels--maybe a precaution of sorts?

***I agree it is silly though. For someone like myself that would invest the time in a level, i'd like to have the resources from the start.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

They did the same with Splatoon.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

@Desmonic: Last gen FF with lightning is was nothing more than a tutorial . 20 or 30 odd hours until the game becomes half decent.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Unlockables with timers. "you have reached level 5 too fucking fast, wait until tomorrow to play level 6".

This is one of the craziest shit ever but I think there might be a solution.

Players might be able to change the date 9 days forward to unlock everything unless there is a system to check that.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Day 10... you wish you didn't get the game :).

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#126 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Have you never played a mobile game?

That entire industry runs on limiting what players can do in a day and then charges REAL MONEY to unlock more chances to play.

Nintendo making players come back on nine different days as a means of tutorial is odd to say the least, but it isn't bad business practice.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#127 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it is. LBP forced you through the terrible campaign to get most of the materials. It's a bitch, but I can spend 5 minutes dicking around the editor for just over a week and play other courses in the meantime.

Having to actually play the game to unlock stuff is better than setting some arbitrary time period. Just flatly saying "10 days to unlock" is pretty dumb. There are people that would probably unlock everything in 2 or 3 days.

Not a huge deal, but it's just another weird "out of touch" thing Nintendo has done.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 foxhound_fox

@Chozofication said:

since it keeps bugging the shit out of me on the harder levels

Stop sucking then.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Chozofication said:

since it keeps bugging the shit out of me on the harder levels

Stop sucking then.

Some levels are just initially hard and dying is pretty much inevitable.

I don't care if i'm sucking, I care that it even asks me.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#130 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Oh stop whining like a baby. The content requires unlocking, just like most other games that exist. The only difference is that this task requires a short time component. Plenty of games require time to unlock content.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#131 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41537 Posts

@trugs26 said:

Oh stop whining like a baby. The content requires unlocking, just like most other games that exist. The only difference is that this task requires a short time component. Plenty of games require time to unlock content.

Granted this in particular isn't the best way at going at it, but it saddens me that "unlocking" content in games, even by gameplay, is now considered "backwards."

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#132 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41537 Posts

@HAZE-Unit said:

Unlockables with timers. "you have reached level 5 too fucking fast, wait until tomorrow to play level 6".

This is one of the craziest shit ever but I think there might be a solution.

Players might be able to change the date 9 days forward to unlock everything unless there is a system to check that.

Probably. Seaman on the Dreamcast had it if I recall (never played, but saw the AVGN episode on it).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#133 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: making people pay to make their own game is stupid imho

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@mesome713: by playing the game, not when media molecule or sony said you could

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 foxhound_fox

@The_Last_Ride said:

It's been done for years now. And it's a fairly successful, if niche, genre of games.

It also has the potential to create a handful of new games developers like any game that lets you create things on a fundamental level.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@The_Last_Ride said:

They wont force you to buy it mate, dont be so scared. Just leave the creating to the creators.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 The_Last_Ride

@foxhound_fox said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

It's been done for years now. And it's a fairly successful, if niche, genre of games.

It also has the potential to create a handful of new games developers like any game that lets you create things on a fundamental level.

I refuse to pay for games like Mario Maker and Minecraft

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 FireEmblem_Man

@foxhound_fox said:

Have you never played a mobile game?

That entire industry runs on limiting what players can do in a day and then charges REAL MONEY to unlock more chances to play.

Nintendo making players come back on nine different days as a means of tutorial is odd to say the least, but it isn't bad business practice.

The thing is, this should not be a business practice to be on full priced games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 foxhound_fox

@The_Last_Ride said:

I refuse to pay for games like Mario Maker and Minecraft

That's fine. Lots of people with a creative side love games like those.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

The thing is, this should not be a business practice to be on full priced games.

Because you'd rather them hold the content back and charge money for it weeks after release?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#140 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

My solution: Don't buy these games day 1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Seabas989 said:

My solution: Don't buy these games day 1.

Shoot, im buying mine day one, ill be mastering them tools every single day. Ill have my levels ready for when others buy the game later. Ive already drew 2 levels on graph paper. Im hoping to make a slow, more explorative level, i want the player to take their time and enjoy, but it will still be kinda hard i hope. Or not hard, but more intermediate.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 The_Last_Ride

@foxhound_fox: I didn't tell anyone not to buy it, but for you to basicly create your own game is just lazy imho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@The_Last_Ride said:

@foxhound_fox: I didn't tell anyone not to buy it, but for you to basicly create your own game is just lazy imho

Your opinion is pretty lazy in my opinion, how selfish can one be? Why hate on what others love just cause you dont? If their is a stores that sells apples, do you walk in that stores everyday complaining it sales apples? You fackin apple lovers, burn them at the stake.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 The_Last_Ride

@mesome713 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Your opinion is pretty lazy in my opinion, how selfish can one be? Why hate on what others love just cause you dont? If their is a stores that sells apples, do you walk in that stores everyday complaining it sales apples? You fackin apple lovers, burn them at the stake.

Are you trying to use ad hominems instead of going after what i said? I don't hate on what others love... I said it's my OWN OPINION... It's also called *there* not *their*. I did no such thing, what a strawman argument

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@The_Last_Ride said:
@mesome713 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

Are you trying to use ad hominems instead of going after what i said? I don't hate on what others love... I said it's my OWN OPINION... It's also called *there* not *their*. I did no such thing, what a strawman argument

You called it stupid mate.

@The_Last_Ride said:

Sounds like a hater to me.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

@mesome713: You're being stupid. That has nothing in common with hiding content behind a wall because Nintendo thinks it's too tough to use Day one. They're treating their fans like toddlers and you're sucking it up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Capitan_Kid said:

@mesome713: You're being stupid. That has nothing in common with hiding content behind a wall because Nintendo thinks it's too tough to use Day one. They're treating their fans like toddlers and you're sucking it up

Theyre making the game more accessible to everyone, i respect them for their effort. I think the holding of tools by having people play and wait days to unlock will turn out to be a good thing for beginners, intermediates, and advanced users. If it turns out fans dont like it, Nintendo can just patch it, its really no big deal.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#148 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

It's a glorified jedi mind trick because they gave you less than half the multiplayer.

It's an artificial service being paraded around as something beneficial to the player when it isn't mate, anyone pretending otherwise sipped way too much Nintendo Kool-Aid.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Oh YEAH! I want some of that kool-aid, but not that Nintendo Kool-Aid as it's bad tasting

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

So you basically have to play the game to unlock more stuff?

What if Nintendo never announced this strategy? People would just think that the tools were in-game unlockables, or am I missing something? Either way it's not a big deal to me since I don't plan on buying the game until it's cheaper.