Thief on PC is surprising.

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@lostrib: you not believing me just confirms your insecurity. Turtle Draw and Oregon Trail. 'Nuff said.

Deal with it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@xboxdone74: if you say so buddy

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
@xboxdone74 said:

@AdrianWerner: Son, my first stealth game was Metal Gear on the MSX. I've been at this a lot longer than you have or anyone else on this forum. Fp stealth games are casual, clunky garbage.

Funny. I wonder, did you name first Metal Gear because you thought that was the first stealth game? Because it wasn't.

And the whole Metal Gear series is the very definition of casual stealth. While other big series tried more complex and dynamic gameplay solutions Metal Gear always sticked to just being a slight variation of pacman.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Stealth is much better on first person. Not only is it considerably more immersive, but its harder. TPS stealth is easymode trash.

Theres a reason Theif1/2 are still the best stealth games.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

The best thing about the new Thief...it's £26.99 on Steam and Uplay, can't go wrong with that :)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

The graphics are pretty good, after all it is a next gen game. Sadly the gameplay/story doesn't look the part.

6.8 on IGN and 6/10 on Gamespot's scale is worse than mediocre. It's like 4.5/10 on IMDB. Stay away.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I watched TotalBiscuit's vid and I have to say I agree with him about the menus. The set of options they give the player to customize his/her experience is just amazing!!! I would love if this became industry standard.

Thief is new Menu-King!

I agree. The customization for Thief is off the charts. I wish every game had this many options to tweak things to your liking. Everything from gameplay to visuals. Also have to say.. FOV slider FTW.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

I was so hyped for this game since deadly shadows is right up in my 10,

but after it was announced to be on current gen,

I unno,

hopefully its fun on pc, since Ive been playing dark mod and thief gold just to bide the time

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

eh - ill get it maybe once its in the bargin bin. It will probs be on psn+ at some point.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 kalipekona

@Puggy301 said:

@kalipekona said:

I have been playing the game since it unlocked on Steam and I have to say the game has really surprised me so far. It looks absolutely outstanding for one thing. The lighting, shadows, particles, reflections, parallax occlusion, tesselation and other graphical elements all add up to one beautiful game. I also love the art direction.

What's more surprising, however, is that it runs extremely well. I am maxing it out, aside from SSAA, and getting a solid 60fps. I only have an HD 7950 and i5 2500k and I truly didn't expect to get such good performance in this game. I can honestly say that the ratio of this game's performance to how amazing it looks is by far the best I have ever come across.

Part of the reason for it's great performance is that the devs actually properly multi-threaded the engine. pcgameshardware.de did some benchmarks and found fantastic multi-thread scaling. Read about it here: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Thief-4-PC-98521/Specials/Thief-Grafikarten-und-Prozessor-Benchmarks-Mit-dieser-Hardware-gehen-Sie-ohne-Ruckler-auf-Diebestour-1110793/

Unfortunately, however, the game doesn't run so well on the PS4 and XB1. This is not just unfortunate for the gamers that play the game on those consoles, but also for the game and developers of the game themselves. I truly believe that part of the reason for the mediocre scores from a lot of reviewers is the poor performance of the versions they played. Choppy framerate really does drag a gaming experience down. It even gives you a more negative impression of a game's visuals than you otherwise would have. I was expecting to see this game get scores mostly around 8/10 and I think the reason we are seeing an average closer to 7/10 is due to the choppy experience it offers on the consoles.

The reviews I read for the PS4 & X1 focused primarily on gameplay. The visuals were actually one of the few areas that received modest praise. As R3FURBISHED mentioned up thread, the game's incoherent story, frequent linearity and inconsistencies in the city's design is what drew the ire of most critics. This game has mucho problems on all systems, and it's not frame rate or graphics related.

Sure, most reviewers praised the visuals because they are great, but I saw many reviewers complain of poor framerates on the PS4 and XB1.

Even if a reviewer didn't outright mention the game's performance doesn't mean that it didn't lower their estimation of the game, even if only subconsciously.

So far, about 7 hours in, the story isn't incoherent to me. It doesn't blow my mind, but it moves the game forward and keeps me interested.

It's not linear. It's actually more open than most stealth games, aside from perhaps the Assassin's Creed games which I don't consider to be true stealth games.

I really can't say I agree with those reviewers on these points.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#61  Edited By way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Some more Thief shots

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Too be honest we don't usually get many slow stealth games that don't rely on action. Perhaps the reason for the differing reviews has to do with if the reviewer has the patience for these kinds of stealth games, but who knows.

I don't really care for stories much in games because they're generally predictable anyway so if I can just have fun with the gameplay and feel like a master thief then I'll be happy.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

can anyone that played and enjoyed thief 1 and 2 give me their opinion on this? It looks like total shit but it would be nice to be surprised.

I just want to know if the gameplay holds up to those two, I couldn't care less about the graphics it just looks like another unreal engine game to me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

With what people are saying about the game, I find this hard to believe.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 way2funny
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

can anyone that played and enjoyed thief 1 and 2 give me their opinion on this? It looks like total shit but it would be nice to be surprised.

I just want to know if the gameplay holds up to those two, I couldn't care less about the graphics it just looks like another unreal engine game to me.

I'm only 4 hours in. Its pretty okay. I have 2 big complaints so far, the level design and the contextual jumping. Those though go hand in hand. It makes things VERY frustrating and removes a lot of the emergent gameplay. I will post more accurate thoughts after more hours in

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ReadingRainbow4

@way2funny said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I'm only 4 hours in. Its pretty okay. I have 2 big complaints so far, the level design and the contextual jumping. Those though go hand in hand. It makes things VERY frustrating and removes a lot of the emergent gameplay. I will post more accurate thoughts after more hours in

Alright, looking forward to it.

The contextual jumping and weak level design kind of really irk me, especially considering how good the level design was in the first 2 games.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Newhopes said:

Gameplay is pretty dull unfortunately gets pretty repetitive fast, I think Dishonored did Thief style game style alot better.

I know the devs for Dishonored mention Thief as one of their inspiriations but Dishonored is much more like Deus Ex. In Thief your character is weak and has to use stealth while in Deus Ex and Dishonored your character is a one man wrecking machine.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By way2funny
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@way2funny said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

The contextual jumping and weak level design kind of really irk me, especially considering how good the level design was in the first 2 games.

It REALLY irks me too.

Jumping/Context Based Movement/Level Design/Hub

You expect to jump, but it swoops instead, or you see a ledge you think you can mantle/jump on and you cant. That is the park that makes it feel the LEAST like Thief. So far I haven't exactly done any of the main missions, I've only done side missions in the City, and while that is fun, everything feels a bit clausterphobic. Also, the maps are disgraceful. The maps have gone from this below, to basically Deus Ex HR style maps. Which again, work perfect in Deus Ex, but not in Thief. Also, you can play without map markers on, but I eventually turned them on. It is very difficult navigating the City because it is segmented, and segmented in a bad way compared to Deadly Shadows. Because it doesn't make clear what objective is in 'what segment'. Not only that, the mission information does not give nearly enough detail on where your objective is. Using the map below, Deadly Shadows would say you need to go to the Tavern, well you walked in from the South Quarter, and you see Tavern on your map. Now you know what direction to go. Or in Thief Gold, one of the levels would say, go to this intersection, and in the map it would have street names. This doesn't, so its either have no information or clues or detail how to get to your objective other than pure exploration, or have waypoints on. I personally liked the idea of reading a hand drawn map, and I'd rather have waypoints on than read from a non existent PDA when I press F1.

They replaced a lot of that tool and emergent gameplay with vents from Deus Ex HR. Vents in Deus Ex makes sense, but it makes no sense in Thief. I will say though other than that, it is functional, I am playing on the hardest 'custom' difficulty, and the AI is solid. I know a lot of people had issues with the AI, but works fine for me. It also seems like they took a lot of hints from Deadly Shadows Hub area. It looks REALLY similar. However though, I will say so far Deadly Shadow's hub area feels better / more alive / less contrived than the new Thief.

This next part is more of a spoiler for Deadly Shadows and the beginning of the new Thief

The last thing so far is the environment. They make a lot of references to the old games, like names of things, even the ending of Deadly Shadows to this game. However, they said it is a reboot and has nothing to do with those games. Well In the beginning you are obviously mentoring this girl named Erin. And at the end of Deadly Shadows, it implies you will mentor this girl that tried to steal from you. Not only that, in the Hub, there is a Tavern called something along the lines of The Crippled Burrick. But I thought they were abandoning the monster types and factions from the old game? Why reference them in this game? I don't know, its really irking me because it is inconsistent. It looks like They originally tried to make a sequal to Deadly Shadows (which I'm fine with) but then scrapped it, and tried to do their own thing (which I'm fine with also) but they took along the story they made for Thief 4 and just explained things by saying reboot. And the way those things are mashed I have a problem with, because it is inconsistent.

Am I enjoying it? Sure, but thats also because I just like stealth games, and I really love the Thief series.

Some more screens

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Runs fine on PS4 to me. Looks about the same as the PC version.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

I'm downloading it now. Looking forward to playing it, especially during this January/February drought of games.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

@AdrianWerner: Son, my first stealth game was Metal Gear on the MSX. I've been at this a lot longer than you have or anyone else on this forum. Fp stealth games are casual, clunky garbage.

My first PC was Commodore VIC 20 which is older than MSX or Apple IIc.

I started programming from VIC 20 and that's with "goto" commands LOL i.e. VIC 20 comes with MS Basic.

You just side tracked this topic by drawing other users by "you vs users in this forum".

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@way2funny said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@way2funny said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It REALLY irks me too.

You expect to jump, but it swoops instead, or you see a ledge you think you can mantle/jump on and you cant. That is the park that makes it feel the LEAST like Thief. So far I haven't exactly done any of the main missions, I've only done side missions in the City, and while that is fun, everything feels a bit clausterphobic. Also, the maps are disgraceful. The maps have gone from this below, to basically Deus Ex HR style maps. Which again, work perfect in Deus Ex, but not in Thief. Also, you can play without map markers on, but I eventually turned them on. It is very difficult navigating the City because it is segmented, and segmented in a bad way compared to Deadly Shadows. Because it doesn't make clear what objective is in 'what segment'. Not only that, the mission information does not give nearly enough detail on where your objective is. Using the map below, Deadly Shadows would say you need to go to the Tavern, well you walked in from the South Quarter, and you see Tavern on your map. Now you know what direction to go. Or in Thief Gold, one of the levels would say, go to this intersection, and in the map it would have street names. This doesn't, so its either have no information or clues or detail how to get to your objective other than pure exploration, or have waypoints on. I personally liked the idea of reading a hand drawn map, and I'd rather have waypoints on than read from a non existent PDA when I press F1.

They replaced a lot of that tool and emergent gameplay with vents from Deus Ex HR. Vents in Deus Ex makes sense, but it makes no sense in Thief. I will say though other than that, it is functional, I am playing on the hardest 'custom' difficulty, and the AI is solid. I know a lot of people had issues with the AI, but works fine for me. It also seems like they took a lot of hints from Deadly Shadows Hub area. It looks REALLY similar. However though, I will say so far Deadly Shadow's hub area feels better / more alive / less contrived than the new Thief.

This next part is more of a spoiler for Deadly Shadows and the beginning of the new Thief

The last thing so far is the environment. They make a lot of references to the old games, like names of things, even the ending of Deadly Shadows to this game. However, they said it is a reboot and has nothing to do with those games. Well In the beginning you are obviously mentoring this girl named Erin. And at the end of Deadly Shadows, it implies you will mentor this girl that tried to steal from you. Not only that, in the Hub, there is a Tavern called something along the lines of The Crippled Burrick. But I thought they were abandoning the monster types and factions from the old game? Why reference them in this game? I don't know, its really irking me because it is inconsistent. It looks like They originally tried to make a sequal to Deadly Shadows (which I'm fine with) but then scrapped it, and tried to do their own thing (which I'm fine with also) but they took along the story they made for Thief 4 and just explained things by saying reboot. And the way those things are mashed I have a problem with, because it is inconsistent.

Am I enjoying it? Sure, but thats also because I just like stealth games, and I really love the Thief series.

Some more screens

Thanks for the in-depth impressions. Some of it sounds horrible but like you said I like stealth games as well and that might be enough for me to overlook most of this shit.

If they took so much from deadly shadows world, I hope they at least have some creepy as shit levels like the cradle. That would be enough to make me overlook a lot of these quirks.

One last question, does anyone use the word taffer? lol.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

@xboxdone74 said:

My first PC was Commodore VIC 20 which is older than MSX or Apple IIc.

I started programming from VIC 20 and that's with "goto" commands LOL i.e. VIC 20 comes with MS Basic.

You just side tracked this topic by drawing other users by "you vs users in this forum".

10 print "LOL!"

20 goto 10

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 way2funny

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@way2funny said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@way2funny said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It REALLY irks me too.

Some more screens

Thanks for the in-depth impressions. Some of it sounds horrible but like you said I like stealth games as well and that might be enough for me to overlook most of this shit.

If they took so much from deadly shadows world, I hope they at least have some creepy as shit levels like the cradle. That would be enough to make me overlook a lot of these quirks.

One last question, does anyone use the word taffer? lol.

The guard chatter isn't nearly as interesting as previous games. I personally have not heard the word taffer, but people have said they heard the word in this game. Also, I did hear people talking about The Cradle basically being ripped off in an asylum like level in this game. So it is suppose to get creepy, how creepy though? No Idea.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

Terrible series which should have remained on pc.

The first person perspective needs to stop. It's a terrible way to play games especially stealth games. Devs need to go back to strictly third person. Playing as a pair of hands, or a gun barrel isn't fun, clever, immersive, or intuitive.

I agree with this I was tired of the fps genre already by the mid 90's after all the doom clones came out. You get the feeling that it's cheaper and easier to develop fps since you don't gave to animate the main character etc and/or deal with any gameplay besides shooting.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

I'm enjoying Thief so far (PS4).

It's in no way perfect, but it does enough things right. I appreciate the full-body awareness rendering and animation, even if it is not quite as polished as it could be. Very immersive, they just need to remove his hands when crouched. The AI is capable for the most part and I've seen both dumb and surprisingly astute reactions. I LOVE the swoop move, it does a great deal to lend a feeling of nimbleness and agility, and I can pop in and out of precarious situations and snatch stuff with ease. Having all the options was a great design choice. Very customizable. Overall I'm having fun.

My main gripes:

-I wish it were more apparent how to get to the roofs. I find myself on the street far more often than I'd like.

-no way to break electronic lights with arrows/weapons, only hitting switches work. Stupid.

-it's definitely more linear.

-you can tell in some areas when last-gen rears its head (loading).

-the sound designer should be fired. The reason the city feels so dead is due to lack of competent sound design. Some effects are poor, others are missing altogether (thunder with lighting, machinery). In some parts it's so blatantly absent that it feels unfinished. It's very unfortunate that a game so dependant on sound suffers from poor implementation of it. Fire that idiot, put out a patch.

-the controller lighting up if I'm in light or shadow is a cool novelty for about the whole of 10 seconds. It's grown quickly annoying and distracting when I'm playing at night and my whole damn room lights up. Enough with this gimmick shit, guys.

I'm still early, but so far I'd give this about a 7-8. It has its flaws, but it's still good fun, and definitely a decent stealth experience.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 kalipekona

@Pray_to_me said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Terrible series which should have remained on pc.

The first person perspective needs to stop. It's a terrible way to play games especially stealth games. Devs need to go back to strictly third person. Playing as a pair of hands, or a gun barrel isn't fun, clever, immersive, or intuitive.

I agree with this I was tired of the fps genre already by the mid 90's after all the doom clones came out. You get the feeling that it's cheaper and easier to develop fps since you don't gave to animate the main character etc and/or deal with any gameplay besides shooting.

That's completely nonsensical. There have been third person games for ages too. Games have to be some form of first person or third person, or a hybrid. What are you going to do, just stop playing games because these things have been done for so long?

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@kalipekona said:

Crap, my whole message system is broke. I can't edit, can't reply, can't quote. Every time I try to do one of those things the message box just comes up completely empty. I also can't paste anything into the message box. What the hell is going on? Do any of you have any idea what happened?

I have to retype everything, because for some fucking reason half the time I hit a key it does not register. Only having the problem at GS. Its all bonked.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46371 Posts

Only two more days until I can play it :D

@MirkoS77 said:

It's in no way perfect, but it does enough things right. I appreciate the full-body awareness rendering and animation, even if it is not quite as polished as it could be. Very immersive, they just need to remove his hands when crouched. The AI is capable for the most part and I've seen both dumb and surprisingly astute reactions. I LOVE the swoop move, it does a great deal to lend a feeling of nimbleness and agility, and I can pop in and out of precarious situations and snatch stuff with ease. Having all the options was a great design choice. Very customizable. Overall I'm having fun.

My main gripes:

-I wish it were more apparent how to get to the roofs. I find myself on the street far more often than I'd like.

-no way to break electronic lights with arrows/weapons, only hitting switches work. Stupid.

-the sound designer should be fired. The reason the city feels so dead is due to lack of competent sound design. Some effects are poor, others are missing altogether (thunder with lighting, machinery). In some parts it's so blatantly absent that it feels unfinished. It's very unfortunate that a game so dependant on sound suffers from poor implementation of it. Fire that idiot, put out a patch.

-the controller lighting up if I'm in light or shadow is a cool novelty for about the whole of 10 seconds. It's grown quickly annoying and distracting when I'm playing at night and my whole damn room lights up. Enough with this gimmick shit, guys.

I'm still early, but so far I'd give this about a 7-8. It has its flaws, but it's still good fun, and definitely a decent stealth experience.

I think that if you activate focus that the ways to go to rooftops are shown in blue. Don't know for sure though, as I haven't played it myself, just seen that in a lot of videos.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MirkoS77

@foxhound_fox said:

Don't listen to what people are saying about the game. You'd get the impression it's nearly broken and ET 2600 caliber. I don't think I've seen any game warrant such unjustified hatred and bias before, it's a perfectly playable, decent stealth experience.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MirkoS77

@R4gn4r0k said:

Only two more days until I can play it :D

@MirkoS77 said:

My main gripes:

I think that if you activate focus that the ways to go to rooftops are shown in blue. Don't know for sure though, as I haven't played it myself, just seen that in a lot of videos.

Sometimes. The only way up is rope arrows and grates. Luckily there's an option to highlight interactive (climbable) objects. I used that until I got to be able to recognize places I could climb.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#82 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

if totalbiscunt likes it, it must be good cuz he has an IQ of 152.

and don't forget, he's very popular on youtube and has an IQ of 152

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46371 Posts

@-Unreal- said:

if totalbiscunt likes it, it must be good cuz he has an IQ of 152.

and don't forget, he's very popular on youtube and has an IQ of 152

Or he just makes entertaining or informative videos ?

I've been watching videos from him for years and I never once heard him mention his IQ, lmao

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@-Unreal-: somethingawful.com forums?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 millerlight89

What a great game on PS4. I love it. I'm enjoying it about the same or more than the last Thief game. I love the city, the new Garret reminds me of a young Michael Keaton. The stealth mechanics are great. I love swooping from shadow to shadow. I can see this game being really short if you avoid the side quests, but I see it being a solid length with them. All in all a really solid title so far. It's a nice looking game too. I can't wait for the next Deus Ex, even though this is a different team.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

PS4 version actually looks pretty on par with PC version, just too those with FB compression but as you can see it's got all the details of PC version such as tessellation and POM.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t31/1941486_10152227934075289_511415076_o.jpg[/img]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31/1622523_10152227904625289_1119346239_o.jpg[/img]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t31/1966173_10152227867750289_689439228_o.jpg[/img]

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By millerlight89

@gpuking said:

PS4 version actually looks pretty on par with PC version, just too those with FB compression but as you can see it's got all the details of PC version such as tessellation and POM.

It is. I've had a hard time telling a difference after owning both. The only thing I notice is FPS, but it is fine on PS4. There are a couple hitches here and there, but not bad at all. I think if they spent a little more time with it, it wasn't cross gen, etc. It would be even better.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

Yeah, the fps didn't bother me at all, might have a few dips here and there but it's hardly significant. It's mostly smooth as. For those who can't run it on PC I'd say PS4 version is the perfect alternative.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 millerlight89

@gpuking said:

Yeah, the fps didn't bother me at all, might have a few dips here and there but it's hardly significant. It's mostly smooth as. For those who can't run it on PC I'd say PS4 version is the perfect alternative.

Yea. What is crazy about this game is the polar opposite opinions. People either love it or hate it. If I went by reviews I would have waited on this game. I'm glad I didn't. It has its issues, but I really like it. I'm playing on master, with no detections allowed, no killing, no aiming cross hair, and some other things. I love the stealth mechanics. Like I posted earlier, I would love to see a swoop type feature in other games. It just feels so good. My biggest gripes are the AI and the levels. Certain parts of the levels are really good, then it gets bad, then more open again. I would like the instanced mission areas to be a little more open. The side missions where I get those mechanical parts have the right idea, they are just too small. The AI isn't terrible, but it could be better.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kalipekona

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Don't listen to what people are saying about the game. You'd get the impression it's nearly broken and ET 2600 caliber. I don't think I've seen any game warrant such unjustified hatred and bias before, it's a perfectly playable, decent stealth experience.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By millerlight89

@kalipekona said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's mostly people living in the past. Many are PC gamers (elitists) that think FPS games still need to be like Doom, RPGs need to be like Baulder's Gate, and just about every franchise needs to stay stagnate. I love another game that imo got way too much hate, and that is Deus Ex Invisible War. I always ask why they hate it, and 9/10 times the first thing that they say is, universal ammo.

EDIT - Just to be clear, i am not talking about PC gamers in general. I am one. I am talking about the elitists dbags...like uidentifiedcup

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By kalipekona

@millerlight89 said:

What a great game on PS4. I love it. I'm enjoying it about the same or more than the last Thief game. I love the city, the new Garret reminds me of a young Michael Keaton. The stealth mechanics are great. I love swooping from shadow to shadow. I can see this game being really short if you avoid the side quests, but I see it being a solid length with them. All in all a really solid title so far. It's a nice looking game too. I can't wait for the next Deus Ex, even though this is a different team.

That's good to hear. The way some reviewers made it sound was as if the framerate was so horrible as to be almost unplayable. But then again with all the other nitpicking and irrational hate this game is getting the exaggeration doesn't surprise me.

Edit: I meant to respond to your comment about the framerate. Anyway, you get the idea.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 millerlight89

@kalipekona said:

But then again with all the other nitpicking and irrational hate this game is getting the exaggeration doesn't surprise me.

It's exaggeration for sure. It will drop when loading a new area, or once in a blue moon. The only really bad spot is the town square right outside of your hideout. Looking up at your hideout from the street is where it drops to about 23-25. That's the only spot I have noticed it drops on a regular basis. The PS4 is easily powerful enough to run this game at a constant fps. I jsut think with all the platforms it is and it being a new system it kind of hindered it. I figured the game would run find on PC, it is after all an unreal 3 engine game. You have to be a complete boob to mess up optimization of an ue3 game on PC.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 kalipekona

@millerlight89 said:

@kalipekona said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

It's mostly people living in the past. Many are PC gamers (elitists) that think FPS games still need to be like Doom, RPGs need to be like Baulder's Gate, and just about every franchise needs to stay stagnate. I love another game that imo got way too much hate, and that is Deus Ex Invisible War. I always ask why they hate it, and 9/10 times the first thing that they say is, universal ammo.

EDIT - Just to be clear, i am not talking about PC gamers in general. I am one. I am talking about the elitists dbags...like uidentifiedcup

I'm a PC gamer, but believe me, I know the attitude you are talking about and I agree with you. I also happen to agree with you about Deus Ex Invisible War. That's another great game that got unjustifiable and unreasonable hate. Personally, I do think the first Deus Ex was a better game for the time it came out, but Invisible War was far from the terrible game that many people made it out to be.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By millerlight89

@kalipekona said:

@millerlight89 said:

@kalipekona said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I'm a PC gamer, but believe me, I know the attitude you are talking about and I agree with you. I also happen to agree with you about Deus Ex Invisible War. That's another great game that got unjustifiable and unreasonable hate. Personally, I do think the first Deus Ex was a better game for the time it came out, but Invisible War was far from the terrible game that many people made it out to be.

Yea Deus Ex was sure the better game for its time. I jsut can't get over the hate for IW. I mean, for its time, I would put it at the same quality as the latest Deus Ex game. They both do some great stuff and bad stuff/ IW is pissed on by gamers, and HR is praised. I don't get it.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 kalipekona

@millerlight89 said:

@kalipekona said:

@millerlight89 said:

@kalipekona said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Yea Deus Ex was sure the better game for its time. I jsut can't get over the hate for IW. I mean, for its time, I would put it at the same quality as the latest Deus Ex game. They both do some great stuff and bad stuff/ IW is pissed on by gamers, and HR is praised. I don't get it.

I agree on all points. I don't get it either. I just notice that some gamers are like fish--they go wherever the rest of the school of fish goes. They hear a couple other gamers say something and then they jump right on that bandwagon and repeat the same stuff, regardless if it makes any sense or not.

Deus Ex Invisible War was one of my favorite games of those years.

In the case of Thief, though, I don't think it is mainly PC gamers that are hating on it (although there is that component). I got the feeling from some reviews that the reviewers were kind of expecting the game to be something like Assassin's Creed and were disappointed when they realized it's nothing like that.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By millerlight89

@kalipekona said:

@millerlight89 said:

@kalipekona said:

@millerlight89 said:

@kalipekona said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I agree on all points. I don't get it either. I just notice that some gamers are like fish--they go wherever the rest of the school of fish goes. They hear a couple other gamers say something and then they jump right on that bandwagon and repeat the same stuff, regardless if it makes any sense or not.

Deus Ex Invisible War was one of my favorite games of those years.

In the case of Thief, though, I don't think it is mainly PC gamers that are hating on it (although there is that component). I got the feeling from some reviews that the reviewers were kind of expecting the game to be something like Assassin's Creed and were disappointed when they realized it's nothing like that.

It must be both. I have read a lot of comments saying how they wanted it to be more like the older games. I haven't read the reviews. I rarely ever even consider reviews. So they were expecting Ass Creed? Why in the hell would they expect that. Gaming journalist blow my mind. We don't need any games like ass creed, hell that series needs a break. I love it, but let's either really change it up, or let it rest for a little bit.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#98 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Very bad game. Looks like something PC gamers can enjoy though. As for graphics, they not good no matter where you play.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 millerlight89

@KillzoneSnake said:

Very bad game. Looks like something PC gamers can enjoy though. As for graphics, they not good no matter where you play.

Very good graphics, I agree.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#100 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@KillzoneSnake said:

Very good graphics, I agree.

The order 1886 has very good graphics :)