There's a new Mega-Drive, and it's horrible looking

  • 78 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

Remember how the Mega-Drive looked like a slick, shiny Tim Burton Batmobile?

Well, say hello to a square box that looks like a boring modern console.

What an exciting time to be alive
What an exciting time to be alive

Now you can enjoy something completely devoid of personality, brought to you by none other Phil Fish himself.

The latest console remake from Analogue.

High-end console remakers Analogue have enlisted none other than Arca to compose the start up music for their Sega Genesis clone, Mega Sg.

The console features revamped hardware for lag-free, high definition play and is compatible with original Sega Genesis, Sega Mega Drive and Sega Master System cartridges. Check out the startup animation and Arca’s composition below.

The system also features high fidelity, 48KHz 16 bit stereo sound, making it the perfect excuse to re-visit some of the Genesis’s classic video game soundtracks.

In addition, a digital version of long-lost Sega Genesis title Hardcore – renamed as Ultracore for legal reasons – will be included on each Mega Sg console.

This is not the first time Analogue have reached out to the electronic music community to contribute to their products, collaborating with Ghostly last year on a limited edition SNES clone featuring start up music from Christopher Willits, Gold Panda, Mary Lattimore, Shigeto, Tadd Mullinix, Ouri, and Telefon Tel Aviv.

Analogue’s Mega Sg costs $189 and is available to buy now in four colourways. For more information, and for high-end remakes of the SNES and NES, head over to the Analogue website.

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#2 Posted by Random_Matt (4290 posts) -

I'm actually interested.

Avatar image for phbz
#3 Edited by phbz (4573 posts) -

If it's from Analogue then it will be for sure a very high quality retro console. But ye, it looks... not great.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#4 Posted by pyro1245 (5150 posts) -

If it's like the other Analogue retro consoles, it will be the best way to play Genesis games.

I'll probably get one. I'm extremely happy with the Super NT.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#5 Posted by I_P_Daily (12305 posts) -

So for $189 you get a console that looks like shit and is way more expensive than the original and you don't get a single game with it, can you say rip off.

Avatar image for vfighter
#6 Posted by VFighter (5115 posts) -

@i_p_daily: It comes with a game (learn to read) and they have a reputation of putting out high quality consoles. Plus it cost less then the genesis did back in 89. You failed in every way imaginable, like usual.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#7 Edited by I_P_Daily (12305 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@i_p_daily: It comes with a game (learn to read) and they have a reputation of putting out high quality consoles. Plus it cost less then the genesis did back in 89. You failed in every way imaginable, like usual.

My bad it comes with a game, sorry I couldn't be arsed reading everything in the link.

You can get a Megadrive with more games for less than the asking price of this, so its a fail just like your posts :)

Avatar image for jdc6305
#8 Posted by jdc6305 (5055 posts) -

I got the analogue snes and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm going to pick this one up too. I actually like the look of it. I have about 40 genesis games.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#9 Posted by Archangel3371 (28366 posts) -

Never really cared all that much for the look of the original but yeah this one definitely looks worse. Still though it is by Analogue so at least it’s a quality product.

Avatar image for zmanbarzel
#10 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1967 posts) -

I like the design. It does what it should do: look modern but with "whiffs" of design pulled from the original. The Super NT took the same approach.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
#11 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6482 posts) -

I loved my mega-drive... But I am sorry that console is not looker at all so I'm not sure why you dislike this but love the original.

Avatar image for n64dd
#12 Edited by N64DD (11968 posts) -

This has bee out for almost a year, and there are so many uneducated, ignorant posts in here it’s hilarious.

This is the best way to play genesis games now, period.

Do some research folks.

Avatar image for ten_pints
#13 Posted by Ten_Pints (3871 posts) -

I want one that looks like the original with all the addons.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#14 Posted by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

Having purtchased one to test it out I can confirm it isn't worth the money. The only good thing is the control pad and it's not USB.

A far better option is to simply use retroXXX If you're really handy with DIY, strip out the inners of an original Mega-Drive that doesn't look like garbage, or alternatively just buy a clone shell. It will be cheaper, and give you a little fun project.

Overall, this console is overpriced and poo, only for dive-hards who love being parted with money.

Incredibly ugly, incredibly so.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#15 Posted by pyro1245 (5150 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I have one of those Pi cases. It's great. The best Pi case I have found is the 'Kintaro' SNES case because it comes with python scripts to make the buttons function properly (which will safely run the shutdown and reboot linux commands so you don't lose data). You could use those scripts with minimal modification for this case as well.

The real benefit of the Analogue console is:

  • Extremely low latency
  • Play your old carts with HD video output

ARM emulators on the Pi are cool, but they are not as good as their x86 counterparts - and neither are as good as something like the Analogue system.

I agree though they should have made it look more like the Mega Drive, which is very classy.

Avatar image for vfighter
#16 Posted by VFighter (5115 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: How is it "poo"?

Avatar image for onesiphorus
#17 Posted by onesiphorus (2930 posts) -

It is a shame that due to trademark issues that the Mega-Drive name was not used in North America and was given the Genesis name. It is one of the few cases where Sega's home console is known by two names.

Avatar image for DocSanchez
#18 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

Thanks for letting me know Fishy was involved. I was thinking of dipping on one of these sometime in the future, but there are lines I will not cross.

Avatar image for foxhound_fox
#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (98011 posts) -

Is it an actual licensed product or a third party hardware recreation? I'm sure they couldn't make it look the same for copyright reasons.

Avatar image for n64dd
#20 Posted by N64DD (11968 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: let me see yours

Avatar image for Jag85
#21 Posted by Jag85 (13595 posts) -

Looks like the design is based on the Mega Drive II.

Avatar image for ohmy
#22 Edited by OhMy (3 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I got bad news for you dude. These are only pre-order ATM and first shipments don't go out until April.

So it looks like whatever someone sold you isn't legit. Would explain why the one you have is garbage though.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#23 Edited by KungfuKitten (26733 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:I might actually put together one of those MegaPies. The only downside is it's like 100 euro's here for the raspberry + controller + case + power adapter. But... It is pretty rad.

Avatar image for raining51
#24 Posted by Raining51 (1142 posts) -

I still have never played a Mega Drive anything... before my time.... hear a fair amount of conversation about it though.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#25 Edited by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

@ohmy said:

@uninspiredcup: I got bad news for you dude. These are only pre-order ATM and first shipments don't go out until April.

So it looks like whatever someone sold you isn't legit. Would explain why the one you have is garbage though.

Generally speaking, the point of a retro-console over roms or (Sega Classics) is the evoke the physical feeling of using the original console, creating a a sense of nostalgia that's difficult to encapsulate.

Whoever made this product sure was misguided, It would be wrong purely to blame Phil Fish, but t's clearly a hipster design. Stick some black thick rimmed glasses and mutton chops on it, it's him in console form.

This guy gets it.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ohmy
#26 Posted by OhMy (3 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: don't think I understand your reply.

You said you bought one and tested it out and your experience was poor.

I'm trying to explain that these consoles will only first ship in April, meaning whatever you have is not the actual product and so it makes sense what you have sucks.

If you got ripped off I would see if there's any way to get your money back because someone sold you a fake product.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#27 Posted by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

@ohmy said:

@uninspiredcup: don't think I understand your reply.

You said you bought one and tested it out and your experience was poor.

I'm trying to explain that these consoles will only first ship in April, meaning whatever you have is not the actual product and so it makes sense what you have sucks.

If you got ripped off I would see if there's any way to get your money back because someone sold you a fake product.

Yea, it's a pretty bad product, definitively wouldn't recommend it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#28 Posted by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

If it's like the other Analogue retro consoles, it will be the best way to play Genesis games.

I'll probably get one. I'm extremely happy with the Super NT.

The best way to play is on the original hardware.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#29 Posted by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

@onesiphorus said:

It is a shame that due to trademark issues that the Mega-Drive name was not used in North America and was given the Genesis name. It is one of the few cases where Sega's home console is known by two names.

I like the Genesis name better, so I'm glad it was changed.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#30 Posted by uninspiredcup (34311 posts) -

Mega-Drive sounds like a really good Transformer.

Genesis sounds like bible reading time.

Avatar image for ohmy
#31 Posted by OhMy (3 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I wouldn't recommend a fake product of any kind haha.

But when the official ones come out next month I expect nothing but good things from them. Everything Analogue has released so far has been amazing.

Avatar image for pyro1245
#32 Posted by pyro1245 (5150 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:
@pyro1245 said:

If it's like the other Analogue retro consoles, it will be the best way to play Genesis games.

I'll probably get one. I'm extremely happy with the Super NT.

The best way to play is on the original hardware.

I disagree due to the limitations of the AV output.

I'd much prefer to play over a a native digital output than using a CRT. Same with the SNES games - Super NT is waaaaay better than my old SNES.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#33 Posted by lamprey263 (36174 posts) -

I'd rather Sega just put their old games on Sony, Nintendo, and MS consoles and devices, I'll buy them.

Avatar image for n64dd
#34 Posted by N64DD (11968 posts) -

@ohmy: So this whole thread is a complete lie.

Got it.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
#35 Edited by onesiphorus (2930 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Mega-Drive sounds like a really good Transformer.

Genesis sounds like bible reading time.

Interesting that the rock band Genesis (whose lead singer is Phil Collins) did not take issue over Sega using the name.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#36 Posted by I_P_Daily (12305 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:
@onesiphorus said:

It is a shame that due to trademark issues that the Mega-Drive name was not used in North America and was given the Genesis name. It is one of the few cases where Sega's home console is known by two names.

I like the Genesis name better, so I'm glad it was changed.

I have to disagree, the name Mega Drive is such a better fit as it has no real world meaning, which means you can make something up with it.

Now Genesis meaning is "the origin or mode of formation of something" lol nowhere near fun as Mega Drive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
#37 Edited by deactivated-5d1e44cf96229 (2814 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@pyro1245 said:

If it's like the other Analogue retro consoles, it will be the best way to play Genesis games.

I'll probably get one. I'm extremely happy with the Super NT.

The best way to play is on the original hardware.

I disagree due to the limitations of the AV output.

I'd much prefer to play over a a native digital output than using a CRT. Same with the SNES games - Super NT is waaaaay better than my old SNES.

For retro gaming, playing on original hardware with a CRT TV as the games were designed to be played is the best option. The games will not look or play as well with any other option.

I understand that not everybody wants to keep a CRT TV around just for retro gaming though, but even for the people that don't want to keep a CRT TV around and would prefer to play on their HDTV, there is still a better method using original hardware. The Genesis is not limited to just composite output, it also natively supports RGB output with no modification required. Using the original hardware's RGB output to a Framemeister will get you a great picture on your HDTV and is the second best way to play (after CRT).

Avatar image for xantufrog
#38 Posted by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@i_p_daily: I love "Genesis" - to me it always implied "this is where the future of gaming begins" or some such. Very spacey, futuristic, and forward looking system marketing in general surrounding the Genesis.

Avatar image for phbz
#39 Posted by phbz (4573 posts) -

Love this thread!

Avatar image for ocinom
#40 Posted by ocinom (1009 posts) -

Raspberry pi can do it plus more. Don’t care about those anti rom elitist.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#41 Posted by getyeryayasout (12385 posts) -

It looks like my WiFi router.

Avatar image for Litchie
#42 Posted by Litchie (24096 posts) -

D-pad looks like Xbox's d-pad, the worst d-pad ever created by mankind. And it's the only button on the controller for movement. Ew to the max.

Avatar image for n64dd
#43 Posted by N64DD (11968 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:
@pyro1245 said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@pyro1245 said:

If it's like the other Analogue retro consoles, it will be the best way to play Genesis games.

I'll probably get one. I'm extremely happy with the Super NT.

The best way to play is on the original hardware.

I disagree due to the limitations of the AV output.

I'd much prefer to play over a a native digital output than using a CRT. Same with the SNES games - Super NT is waaaaay better than my old SNES.

For retro gaming, playing on original hardware with a CRT TV as the games were designed to be played is the best option. The games will not look or play as well with any other option.

I understand that not everybody wants to keep a CRT TV around just for retro gaming though, but even for the people that don't want to keep a CRT TV around and would prefer to play on their HDTV, there is still a better method using original hardware. The Genesis is not limited to just composite output, it also natively supports RGB output with no modification required. Using the original hardware's RGB output to a Framemeister will get you a great picture on your HDTV and is the second best way to play (after CRT).

Nah, play a super NT. Then play an snes modded, then a regular snes both on crt's. Super NT shits all over it.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#44 Posted by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@n64dd: you're taking about SNES, though. He's right, the Genesis can do native RGB - and really, that's the quality you're aiming for with these clone machines in order to get good IQ on an HDTV

Avatar image for n64dd
#45 Posted by N64DD (11968 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@n64dd: you're taking about SNES, though. He's right, the Genesis can do native RGB - and really, that's the quality you're aiming for with these clone machines in order to get good IQ on an HDTV

Not as good. Try one.

Avatar image for xantufrog
#46 Posted by xantufrog (11609 posts) -

@n64dd: I play Genesis games on my PC all the time. It can't possibly look better than that

Avatar image for vfighter
#47 Posted by VFighter (5115 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Genesis just sounds better, it gave the system a more epic sounding name were as mega drive just sounds childish.

Avatar image for n64dd
#48 Posted by N64DD (11968 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@n64dd: I play Genesis games on my PC all the time. It can't possibly look better than that

lol try an analogue. More visual options are included in the system.

Avatar image for another-ryuga
#49 Posted by Another-ryuga (3 posts) -

I should dig my old Mega Drive out of the attic.

Avatar image for Telekill
#50 Posted by Telekill (8548 posts) -

Wait... nearly $200? WTF?

No thanks. I'll play on my original or my Raspberry Pi.

Also... what has me more interested is the Sega Nomad remodel coming later this year.