The Xbox 360's greatest weakness?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SmokingBomber1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SmokingBomber1
Member since 2004 • 206 Posts

This isn't a topic to discuss how the Xbox 360 is better or worse than other consoles. Every console has its weaknesses.

That said, what do you think is the Xbox 360's greatest weakness?

mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mstc_Q
Member since 2007 • 1901 Posts
Good deal, saves me time on making one myself. (Tagged)
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Did we need a copy-cat thread?

And hardware issues, no question.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
RROD, I can deal with the others.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mstc_Q
Did we need a copy-cat thread?

And hardware issues, no question.SpruceCaboose
I was going to make one eventually anyway.
Iheartrpgsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iheartrpgsalot
Member since 2009 • 117 Posts
These are the only things that are bad about the 360: Xbox Live Fees Hardware Failure No Built in Wireless Everything else is fine. And the games library is by far the best.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Hardware issues followed by Live fees.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#8 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Hardware is the only one. The rest the PS3 has 1. Game Library isn't that great, a few amazing games the rest is just run of the mill. Everything else is on 360 or PC. 2. Fees sure but firmware updates brick PS3s often and it's not unified (MGO would not be that bad on XBL servers) 3. It wins here though it still has unreliabilities 4. Well PS3 lacks backwards compatiblity (Huge for a PS2 successor) It also lacks the cords for HDTV...this is about 150 dollars CAD of missing things. 5. Oh please.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mstc_Q
Hardware is the only one. The rest the PS3 has 1. Game Library isn't that great, a few amazing games the rest is just run of the mill. Everything else is on 360 or PC. 2. Fees sure but firmware updates brick PS3s often and it's not unified (MGO would not be that bad on XBL servers) 3. It wins here though it still has unreliabilities 4. Well PS3 lacks backwards compatiblity (Huge for a PS2 successor) It also lacks the cords for HDTV...this is about 150 dollars CAD of missing things. 5. Oh please.Toriko42
I thought this thread WASN'T about comparison...
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
The only games that sell are either shooters or have shooter elements.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Hardware is the only one. The rest the PS3 has 1. Game Library isn't that great, a few amazing games the rest is just run of the mill. Everything else is on 360 or PC. 2. Fees sure but firmware updates brick PS3s often and it's not unified (MGO would not be that bad on XBL servers) 3. It wins here though it still has unreliabilities 4. Well PS3 lacks backwards compatiblity (Huge for a PS2 successor) It also lacks the cords for HDTV...this is about 150 dollars CAD of missing things. 5. Oh please.Toriko42
And who brought the PS3 into this thread? Oh yeah. YOU. Try to stay on topic please. I voted XBL fees. Yeah its hardware is terrible but that isnt something MS chose to happen. MS wants to charge you to play online and that is just wrong. And option 5 is ridiculous. 360 has plenty of processing power.
yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts
definitely the Hardware, its made even the mos adamant 360 fanboys extremely annoyed and made me skeptical on there next gaming machine.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#13 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Hardware is the only one. The rest the PS3 has 1. Game Library isn't that great, a few amazing games the rest is just run of the mill. Everything else is on 360 or PC. 2. Fees sure but firmware updates brick PS3s often and it's not unified (MGO would not be that bad on XBL servers) 3. It wins here though it still has unreliabilities 4. Well PS3 lacks backwards compatiblity (Huge for a PS2 successor) It also lacks the cords for HDTV...this is about 150 dollars CAD of missing things. 5. Oh please.TheGrat1
And who brought the PS3 into this thread? Oh yeah. YOU. Try to stay on topic please. I voted XBL fees. Yeah its hardware is terrible but that isnt something MS chose to happen. MS wants to charge you to play online and that is just wrong. And option 5 is ridiculous. 360 has plenty of processing power.

System Wars, if this was in the 360 forum my post would be different
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts
The biggest weakness for me is the unreliability of the hardware. Tons of people I know have had problems with RROD. The hardware is the only thing that is making me want to save up and get a ps3 as my next console instead of 360.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mstc_Q
[QUOTE="TheGrat1"][QUOTE="Toriko42"]Hardware is the only one. The rest the PS3 has 1. Game Library isn't that great, a few amazing games the rest is just run of the mill. Everything else is on 360 or PC. 2. Fees sure but firmware updates brick PS3s often and it's not unified (MGO would not be that bad on XBL servers) 3. It wins here though it still has unreliabilities 4. Well PS3 lacks backwards compatiblity (Huge for a PS2 successor) It also lacks the cords for HDTV...this is about 150 dollars CAD of missing things. 5. Oh please.Toriko42

System Wars, if this was in the 360 forum my post would be different

The purpose of this thread being in System Wars is to establish an opinion about the individual console's weaknesses apart from direct comparison.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Who would really pick game library? I think the harware issues are the biggest weakness this gen.
mstc_Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mstc_Q

I think the hardware issues are a little overblown.

I picked the library because everything that I personally care about is also on the PC, where it's cheaper to buy and more customizable.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts
[QUOTE="Toriko42"]Hardware is the only one. The rest the PS3 has 1. Game Library isn't that great, a few amazing games the rest is just run of the mill. Everything else is on 360 or PC. 2. Fees sure but firmware updates brick PS3s often and it's not unified (MGO would not be that bad on XBL servers) 3. It wins here though it still has unreliabilities 4. Well PS3 lacks backwards compatiblity (Huge for a PS2 successor) It also lacks the cords for HDTV...this is about 150 dollars CAD of missing things. 5. Oh please.

Dude, come on, this isn't ABOUT THE PS3, wow. We're talking about the 360's weakness's not talking about which has more features the ps3 or 360
yumamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 yumamo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
no blu ray, no 8cell, no blue tooth, no good games, but t has the RROD and galo 3, and a 30% faller rate, and XBOX 360 = jet enigne
Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Hardware issues are too common.
yumamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yumamo
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
there is no blu ray
cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
No wireless. Cost too much. Poor hardware. No Blu Ray. Xbox Live has no dedicated servers and cost more. No CELL. No games. All the games it has are in the PC anyways.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#23 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

Let's think about this for a minute.

Game Library (everything good is on the PC anyway): what makes you think people have a gaming PC, plus the PC game sales has been down. The 360 has the largest library of games compared to other current consoles. Game library is the 360's strength.

Xbox Live: even with a fee, Xbox Live is also the 360's strength, since it's the better console online service.

Hardware Malfunction: this probably what hindered MS the most. With time hardware becomes more reliable.

Lack of typical features: depending on what sku you buy, it comes with a wired controller, hdmi cable, and headsets, no other console comes with headsets.

Lack of processing power: I don't know what it's lacking, but it has produced some great games with great visuals, plus most multiplats runs better on it.

So the only weakness in that list is probably the hardware malfunction.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

The hardware malfunctions, without a doubt, have hindered Microsoft's potential this generation.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
Hardware malfunctions no doubt, big reason i bought Ps3.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
xbox live fees. second is hardware failure. it isn't bad but PC and ps3 and wii have free online. o well, i can deal with this type of things.
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts
2, 3, and 4. Although you aren't forced to go wireless, but I did and had to pay because of it.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Hands down the worst problem is the hardware issues.

The 360 has an amazing collection of games, its just to bad it was put together so bad.

w0lfbreeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 w0lfbreeder
Member since 2007 • 426 Posts
A. yes B. yes C. yes D. yes E. yes F. all of the above!
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I don't know...

Probably Firespin...

abdelmessih101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 abdelmessih101
Member since 2007 • 5230 Posts

RRoD and hardware problems definitely are at the top of the list. Then come lack features which is making it really expensive for me to buy right now, and then finally the useless (in my opinion) Xbox Live fee.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

2, 3, 4

but mostly 3.

p0g0theclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 p0g0theclown
Member since 2005 • 2364 Posts
no blu ray, no 8cell, no blue tooth, no good games, but t has the RROD and galo 3, and a 30% faller rate, and XBOX 360 = jet enigneyumamo
faller rate haha does it mean it falls faster. Blu ray and blue tooth aint needed. The cell we havent seen enough proof to say its actually benefits the ps3, halo3 cant see why that would be a problem, one of the fastest selling games ever.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

There are too many problems with the xbox hardware.

Maybe Microsoft should be thinking of fixing the hardware problems like sony did with PS2 by doing a total overhaul to the system ... you know, just start on it now (DRE was pretty much fixed with PS2 slim).

obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts

Where is the "none of the above" option ?

The only weaknesses of 360 are

- initial big price
- not casual oriented enough
- no novel controls

As for the others

-Game Library (Everything good is on the PC anyway)

That is not happening, 360 has Fable 2, Mass Effect 2, Star Ocean 4, Gears 2, Halo 3, new Rare-Lionhead etc games and an avalance more as exclusives

and all major PC games (Alan Wakew, KUF2, Two Worlds Temptation, Divinity 2), making it the by miles best choice for any PC gamer that wants to avoid a hugly expensive new PC

Plus gets the best of PS3, like FF13, RE5, GTA4 etc

-Xbox Live fees

You pay for a superior online offering, that is now a drwback, that is a gift, better than a low quality free service

-Hardware malfunction / Unreliability

Never had any problems with my xbox 360, both of them, since launch too

-Lack of typical features(Wireless, rechargable controller batteries, etc.)

Those do not apply to everyone, plus wireless is dangerous to your life, who wants that, when with a cable you can save your brains and have the best connection as well ?

-Lack of processing power

Xbox 360 gets the biggest by miles and most detailed / next gen worlds in 2008 (Fable 2) and 2009 (Alan Wakew, KUF2, Two Worlds Temptation, Divinity 2, Venetica etc), so its porcessing power is some of the greatest available right now, that is one of its greatest strengths

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

This thread fails....hard. What is one off lifes biggest weaknesses? THIS THREAD.

I don't know how you can discuss somethings weaknesses and not be allowed to compare it against something else (TC even does it in the first poll choice) Something can only be weak compared to something else.

If i had to pick one though, and this is just going from what i've read on threads on here (i've not been able to replicate the problem on my launch core system) then it would have to be hardware. If I'd had the issues with the xbox that alot of uses on forums seem to have had "I'm on my tenth xbox this week" then yeah, i'd be annoyed too.

But then atleast MS did have good customer service, extend the warrenty and actually try fix the issue with new units.

Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Eyezonmii
Member since 2008 • 2145 Posts
Everything, it's half-arsed...games need variety concerning many aspect, animations, graphics, gameplay. Hardware issues, No wifi built in, disc scatching, Noisy, Copy-cat Dashboard that needs originality, too much add-on's, Still uses disc trays, memory cards. Its a poor console all around. Only thing good about it is the controller.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 angryfodder
Still uses disc traysEyezonmii
I am lost for words
Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Eyezonmii
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]Still uses disc traysangryfodder
I am lost for words

me too, just shocking...for this day and age. Thing feels ancient. Disc is unstable in one. Good thing we have Sony and Nintendo to show MS the way, otherwise we would be still living in caves if it were up to MS.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 angryfodder

[QUOTE="angryfodder"][QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]Still uses disc traysEyezonmii
I am lost for words

me too, just shocking...for this day and age. Thing feels ancient. Disc is unstable in one. Good thing we have Sony and Nintendo to show MS the way, otherwise we would be still living in caves if it were up to MS.

How are disc trays bad again?

Ah yes sony leading the way with epic innovations such a betamax and blu ray - the technology that bought nothing to gaming at all.

p0g0theclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 p0g0theclown
Member since 2005 • 2364 Posts
Everything, it's half-arsed...games need variety concerning many aspect, animations, graphics, gameplay. Hardware issues, No wifi built in, disc scatching, Noisy, Copy-cat Dashboard that needs originality, too much add-on's, Still uses disc trays, memory cards. Its a poor console all around. Only thing good about it is the controller. Eyezonmii
fanboy much? you could apply most of that to the ps3. but come on Half arsed? where? the ps3 tried to copy the features of the 360 and couldnt get them right for the release i.e trophies, psn, xmb. And at least with the 360 you got the HD cables unlike the ps3 and you get free headsets for live. live has more features then psn so that aint half arsed. games needing more variety? again the ps3 library is pretty much the same as the 360 just with less games, you really should compare both and see what variety the 360 has compared to the ps3. you are complaining bout the animations, graphics and the gameplay of 360 games, i think you are forgetting ps3 ports like orange box, perfect on the 360 and awful on the ps3. copycat dashboard from where? Considering it was the first released!!!! too many add ons, like what the wifi big deal it aint needed!!!! disc tray and memory cards now you are being pathetic
obamanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 obamanian
Member since 2008 • 3351 Posts

This thread fails....hard. What is one off lifes biggest weaknesses? THIS THREAD.

I don't know how you can discuss somethings weaknesses and not be allowed to compare it against something else (TC even does it in the first poll choice) Something can only be weak compared to something else.

If i had to pick one though, and this is just going from what i've read on threads on here (i've not been able to replicate the problem on my launch core system) then it would have to be hardware. If I'd had the issues with the xbox that alot of uses on forums seem to have had "I'm on my tenth xbox this week" then yeah, i'd be annoyed too.

But then atleast MS did have good customer service, extend the warrenty and actually try fix the issue with new units.

angryfodder

Still has the most and best, biggest in scale, detail, most innovative and stuning looking, huge 50-100+ hours games by miles this generation and nothing even remotly touches it

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

The weak Hardware obviously. Don't think anyone can claim otherwise. The D-pad is also a weakness, but not as much of a deal as RRoD, The E-errors, DRE's and all that stuff.

*Maybe the XBL fee too, but is that really that big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be?

McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
I wonder if those 5 fanboys who voted for (lack of processing power) have a clue of what they're talking about.
Eyezonmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Eyezonmii
[QUOTE="Eyezonmii"]Everything, it's half-arsed...games need variety concerning many aspect, animations, graphics, gameplay. Hardware issues, No wifi built in, disc scatching, Noisy, Copy-cat Dashboard that needs originality, too much add-on's, Still uses disc trays, memory cards. Its a poor console all around. Only thing good about it is the controller. p0g0theclown
fanboy much? you could apply most of that to the ps3. but come on Half arsed? where? the ps3 tried to copy the features of the 360 and couldnt get them right for the release i.e trophies, psn, xmb. And at least with the 360 you got the HD cables unlike the ps3 and you get free headsets for live. live has more features then psn so that aint half arsed. games needing more variety? again the ps3 library is pretty much the same as the 360 just with less games, you really should compare both and see what variety the 360 has compared to the ps3. you are complaining bout the animations, graphics and the gameplay of 360 games, i think you are forgetting ps3 ports like orange box, perfect on the 360 and awful on the ps3. copycat dashboard from where? Considering it was the first released!!!! too many add ons, like what the wifi big deal it aint needed!!!! disc tray and memory cards now you are being pathetic

You mean how MS copied the PS3 with all the HD stuff? HDMI, 1080p, HDDVD media Addon (to compete with bluray)....after all the **** MS said against SONY and there HD plans. I don't care for trophies, that was all done way before with unclockables and cheats. PSN isn' t Xbox live, lol. I don't care for online i am talking about hardware-wise/games. After sony came to the market with all the HD elements, the 360 looked so outdated, so they played catch up. Hell, MS might aswell name the ELITE the PS3...lol. And we all know MS copied the PSP with the guide button, but just implemented it on consoles first...since they were desperate to rush one to the market, now look how bad the hardware is.
xxThyLordxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xxThyLordxx
Member since 2007 • 3200 Posts
without question, Hardware failures >LIVE fees > Lack of typical features > Game library.
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts
probably the hardware issues, followed by the xbox live fees, and then the lack of common features.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Hardware- first.

Then features - second.

Though its hardware by a large margin.

Narroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Narroo
Member since 2006 • 2165 Posts
Propierty hardware and software fees. Both sccesory hardware and software costs are ridiculous.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#50 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
the XBL fees and hardware issues.