The Witcher 3 will use new Nvidia PhysX fur simulation - next gen tech

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It's been confirmed that TW3 will use new tech for Nvidia that simulates fur across a multitude of objects. This is one of those little touches that I look forward to seeing more of next gen.. Stuff like this can be very immersive 

Gif comparison

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Its going to be limited to Nvidia hardware only :(
SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

I might think twice before choosing an AMD :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Its going to be limited to Nvidia hardware only :(clyde46

Cos Nvidia rule

#TeamGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I have a burning question: more fur on the wolf in the Witcher 3 or more foilage on the trees in Fable?

senses_fail_06

TW3 could have neither and still be better

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

It's been confirmed that TW3 will use new tech for Nvidia that simulates fur across a multitude of objects. This is one of those little touches that I look forward to seeing more of next gen.. Stuff like this can be very immersive 

Gif comparison

ibsjECZcZZqVuE.gif

seanmcloughlin

Define next gen...because in my eyes PC is laways next gen ...with every day of the year...with every game release on pc...the tech is redefined...
This will be PC exclusive...since nvidia dosent make anything hardware related for PS4 and X1 

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

That looks fantastic, looks close to CGI ! dat hair simulation :shock: 

Yeah that's a bummer, wish they would make this available to AMD. Next gen consoles have AMD cards right ?

edit: actually I wish I could combine an AMD card for graphics with an NVIDIA card soley for physx, as you can combine two Nvidia cards: one for graphics and one for physx. Because I'm actually quite happy with AMDs price/performance. Physx are the only real plus to get an Nvidia imo.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Who cares?

As long as PhysX is availible on a single brand, it'll never be used for anything meaningful that will truly stand out or affect gameplay... just a few minor touches that often come at a huge frame rate cost, so it's wiser to just disable them.

As pleasant as my experience with Nvidia has been, PhysX is the last thing I'd consider when purchasing a new graphics card.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Gif comparison

rhazzy

Define next gen...because in my eyes PC is laways next gen ...with every day of the year...with every game release on pc...the tech is redefined...
This will be PC exclusive...since nvidia dosent make anything hardware related for PS4 and X1 

Nvidia did confirm that next gen consoles will be able to utilize PhysX technologies, although they definitely won't be able to pull off the complex physics, fur, TXAA, or any other demanding nvidia innovations. 

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

Who cares?

As long as PhysX is availible on a single brand, it'll never be used for anything meaningful that will truly stand out or affect gameplay... just a few minor touches that often come at a huge frame rate cost, so it's wiser to just disable them.

As pleasant as my experience with Nvidia has been, PhysX is the last thing I'd consider when purchasing a new graphics card.

Rocker6

You are right. This shouldn't be on AMD just so AMD users get to enjoy this too but if it has a bigger install base more games would end up using physx. It would be a win situation for everyone.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Who cares?

R4gn4r0k

You are right. This shouldn't be on AMD just so AMD users get to enjoy this too but if it has a bigger install base more games would end up using physx. It would be a win situation for everyone.

Yeah, the feature has a lot of potential, and if games could be built around it, we'd definitely see some benefit. Also, with it becoming more popular among developers, it'd get well optimized without killing your frame rate over a few extra particles...

But sadly, don't see it leaving Nvidia clutches anytime soon... I guess the best we can hope for is to see someone come up with a similiar physics engine availible to everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

actually I wish I could combine an AMD card for graphics with an NVIDIA card soley for physx, as you can combine two Nvidia cards: one for graphics and one for physx. .R4gn4r0k
You can do that with modded drivers.
Nvidia did confirm that next gen consoles will be able to utilize PhysX technologies, although they definitely won't be able to pull off the complex physics, fur, TXAA, or any other demanding nvidia innovations. cfisher2833

The warframe developers already confirmed that the PS4 version will be getting the fancy particles that come from Physx on the pc. Nvidia doesn't have any reason to purposfully gimp their techinologies on the new consoles.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"] actually I wish I could combine an AMD card for graphics with an NVIDIA card soley for physx, as you can combine two Nvidia cards: one for graphics and one for physx. .ferret-gamer

Nvidia did confirm that next gen consoles will be able to utilize PhysX technologies, although they definitely won't be able to pull off the complex physics, fur, TXAA, or any other demanding nvidia innovations. cfisher2833

The warframe developers already confirmed that the PS4 version will be getting the fancy particles that come from Physx on the pc. Nvidia doesn't have any reason to purposfully gimp their techinologies on the new consoles.

I saw footage of the PS4 version, and the particle effects were nowhere near as fancy as the PC version. 

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"] You can do that with modded drivers.[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]Nvidia did confirm that next gen consoles will be able to utilize PhysX technologies, although they definitely won't be able to pull off the complex physics, fur, TXAA, or any other demanding nvidia innovations. cfisher2833

I saw footage of the PS4 version, and the particle effects were nowhere near as fancy as the PC version. 

Thats because PS4 cant run Physx properly...on PC u need a mid to high end gpu to run physx on medium...and A DEDICATED CARD for max...

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

A GTX780 should run it perfectly. They are already available in my country for 730$. I will wait a bit more for a good deal.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

That looks fantastic, looks close to CGI ! dat hair simulation :shock: 

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Its going to be limited to Nvidia hardware only :(R4gn4r0k

Yeah that's a bummer, wish they would make this available to AMD. Next gen consoles have AMD cards right ?

edit: actually I wish I could combine an AMD card for graphics with an NVIDIA card soley for physx, as you can combine two Nvidia cards: one for graphics and one for physx. Because I'm actually quite happy with AMDs price/performance. Physx are the only real plus to get an Nvidia imo.

you used to be able to with hacked drivers, i'm not sure if those have been updated.

Also can't you push physx on to the CPU?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

Yeah, the feature has a lot of potential, and if games could be built around it, we'd definitely see some benefit. Also, with it becoming more popular among developers, it'd get well optimized without killing your frame rate over a few extra particles...

But sadly, don't see it leaving Nvidia clutches anytime soon... I guess the best we can hope for is to see someone come up with a similiar physics engine availible to everyone.

Rocker6

I'm really hoping to see more advanced physics this gen too, even more so than improvements in graphics. More games using euphoria too please or other advanced engines.

ferret-gamer

Yeah I read about that. I read it has a lot of issues too. What I meant was that I would love if this was officially supported, but of course Nvidia would never allow that 

you used to be able to with hacked drivers, i'm not sure if those have been updated.

lostrib

Don't think so. My FPS always sink when turning on advanced physx, you really need an Nvidia card for that.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rocker6

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

R4gn4r0k

Don't think so. My FPS always sink when turning on advanced physx, you really need an Nvidia card for that.

Yep... in fact, we had this controversy a few years ago:

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/

Even today, not a good idea to push PhysX to the CPU...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k

Yep... in fact, we had this controversy a few years ago:

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/

Even today, not a good idea to push PhysX to the CPU...

Rocker6

Interesting read. I can definitely understand Nvidia wanting to make money off their technology.

But there should be a way to make this be profitable and have it on CPUs, AMD cards and Xbone/PS4s.

mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrfrosty151986
Member since 2012 • 533 Posts

Someone add the dog from the new COD into the GIF too :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

rhazzy

Thats because PS4 cant run Physx properly...on PC u need a mid to high end gpu to run physx on medium...and A DEDICATED CARD for max...

Warframe only has one Physx setting, and you definitely don't need a dedicated card for it, the game hovers around 60fps on my 670 with physx enabled at 1440p. And i'm not sure what footage cfisher2833 was talking about, but the stuff i saw for the ps4 had the gpu particles going on, even if it isn't as much, it is still definitely there.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
And this is why I've stuck to Nvidia for all these years.=p
cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cfisher2833

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

[QUOTE="cfisher2833"]

ferret-gamer

Warframe only has one Physx setting, and you definitely don't need a dedicated card for it, the game hovers around 60fps on my 670 with physx enabled at 1440p. And i'm not sure what footage cfisher2833 was talking about, but the stuff i saw for the ps4 had the gpu particles going on.

This is what I am talking about:

When they use the sword, you simply see some sparks fly off when there's a hit. The PC version had all these crazy particle effects go on when you used the sword. 

see:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="rhazzy"]

cfisher2833

Warframe only has one Physx setting, and you definitely don't need a dedicated card for it, the game hovers around 60fps on my 670 with physx enabled at 1440p. And i'm not sure what footage cfisher2833 was talking about, but the stuff i saw for the ps4 had the gpu particles going on.

This is what I am talking about:

When they use the sword, you simply see some sparks fly off when there's a hit. The PC version had all these crazy particle effects go on when you used the sword. 

see:

Have you actually played the game? Most of the turbulence particle effects are only used with certain powers. Just normally using the sword like in that video looks exactly the same on PC