The Weakness of the PS4's and X1's CPUs

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

The CPUs in the Playstation 4 and XBOX ONE are weak laptop/ mobile CPUs. According to the source at the end of this post, each core on the CPUs of the PS4 and X1 has less than 25% of the power on a core of an i5-3570K, which is pathetic. Why did SONY and MS put such weak CPUs in these machines? In regard to the PS4, there is the possibility that its CPU is weaker than the Cell Micro Processor of the PS3. Tisk, tisk, tisk. What have you done, SONY and MS?

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Because it would cost much more otherwise.

*cough* PS3 *cough*

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

hardware costs and consolites are not willing to pay for decent hardware, else they would play on pc.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Less is more.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

probably due to financial limitations. or guesses at what a consumer is likely to afford etcetera.

hopefully the steambox SKUs head into 'ultra-hardcore' territory.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

because they have to balance things like cost, size, power draw, and heat

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Dat balance. Getting more powerful hardware would tip the balance of Cloud and Bonaire.

5dlrbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 5dlrbill
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

who cares if they can pump out game graphics like ryse I for one can care less on fancy talk.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Sony/MS are too poor to sell consoles for $300 losses like last gen.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@I_can_haz: 8 Gb of RAM on some weak-ass hardware.

Yep, dat balance.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

you'd have 800 dollar systems otherwise

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

why make the consoles so weak? i don't know.

for all the strength the ps4 has, i wish they'd gone for the $500 price point and included a bit more powerful CPU/GPU on the APU. made a real killer of a console.

then again what's the point of doing that? it's already the most powerful console anyway. anyone who really likes good graphics games on the pc.

maybe this is why i don't game on consoles.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

Is the snapdragon 800 in my phone more powerful than the jaguar cores? And is the adreno 330 more powerful than the 360 and ps3 gpu?

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

The CPUs in the Playstation 4 and XBOX ONE are weak laptop/ mobile CPUs. According to the source at the end of this post, each core on the CPUs of the PS4 and X1 has less than 25% of the power on a core of an i5-3570K, which is pathetic. Why did SONY and MS put such weak CPUs in these machines? In regard to the PS4, there is the possibility that its CPU is weaker than the Cell Micro Processor of the PS3. Tisk, tisk, tisk. What have you done, SONY and MS?

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-amd-jaguar-cpu-examined/0116297

FYI - those Jaguars are rated up to 2.75ghz. Technically, we're not even getting the XB1/PS4 at full potential. Probably for heat concerns, but who knows... all it takes is a firmware update (or a hack and some custom cooling) to find out!

I'm curious if anyone will attempt to mod a PS4 or XB1 with a custom-cooler and overclock the CPU to 2.75ghz? Or more if they're unlocked?

At 2.75ghz, you're probably pushing around 2.5 TFLOPS on the PS4. But you'd probably have to open the case and stick another HSF in there.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

PS4's so small that I bet that if the CPU were more powerful + the medium end GPU it would cause a fire with these 2 pieces so close to each other. And is not just a CPU but a cluster of 2 APUs, that's why it has 8 cores instead of the usual 4 on PC. And the theory is that because they are so close + the unified ram the ALU is supposed to perform at a level we have never seen.

The difference between the PS4 and Xbox's APUs is that Sony used the additional space to include 4 more CUs for ALU while MS used it for the esRam (to bandage the DDR3 bandwidth bottleneck). So the XB1 doesn't have any CUs to spare on ALU and that's most likely why they had to increase the clock-speeds in order to perform "closer" to the level of the PS4's advantage on ALU/GPGPU.

As of now it has been confirmed that Killzone is only using 14 CUs, all for render. Which mean that this is only the beginning of the graphical evolution we'll see as time goes on and developers start coding more stuff at low level.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@Netherscourge said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

FYI - those Jaguars are rated up to 2.75ghz. Technically, we're not even getting the XB1/PS4 at full potential. Probably for heat concerns, but who knows... all it takes is a firmware update (or a hack and some custom cooling) to find out!

I'm curious if anyone will attempt to mod a PS4 or XB1 with a custom-cooler and overclock the CPU to 2.75ghz? Or more if they're unlocked?

At 2.75ghz, you're probably pushing around 2.5 TFLOPS on the PS4. But you'd probably have to open the case and stick another HSF in there.

It's not like MS is going to leave OC'ing open for end users. We're tlkaing some serious modding, which would likely mena no online as it would be flagged as a box capable of piracy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

To keep the price down and as you're better of putting the budget into areas like the GPU. GPGPU compute will help too. Just how necessary is a really strong CPU anyway? There are still PC games unoptimised in this area and even a fraction of a CPUs power, Rome 2 isn't even using 2 cores of my CPU at the moment and Planetside 2 for example is only getting the optimisations for Quad Cores because of the console release.

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

PS4 is still better than 99% of the hermits PC's, so, there's that.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

We already know the PS4 and Xbox One CPU's are low power (meaning their TDP), efficient CPU's, pretty much designed for laptops. But they're still powerful CPU's, not top of range (or even mid range for a desktop) i5 or i7 monsters. Having an i5 or i7 in a console, purely for gaming would be overkill, you simply wouldn't use that extra headroom. If anything the hardware that's really restricting the new consoles is their focus on using APUs (read: Integrated graphics) rather than dedicated GPU tech with their own die and heatsinks etc. But they're still much more powerful than the 360 or PS3 specs.

With a bit of luck it'll remove any chance of the same overheating problems that plagued the early units from this generation for years though.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@kellykelly said:

lolno

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

The CPU is acceptable but the speed is ridiculous in my opinion. If they overclocked it to 2.75 GHZ that would be more realistic. I myself may try to see about overclocking if there is a way. If I have to add a fan that's fine but then again with it being so small there may not be room in there.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They are weak but they aren't that weak. A 6 year old dual core processor can run Planetside 2. Puts things in perspective. They are good enough for the total amount of power the system has. It's not like they are bottlenecking the GPU. Also consoles don't have a slight CPU bottleneck that PCs get with high level graphics APIs.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wasdie  Moderator

@RimacBugatti: Having processors clocked at 3.2 gHZ is a direct reason why the PS3/360 had a lot of overheating issues. Higher clocks speeds paired with dust (and consoles get really dusty as nobody takes theirs apart to clean it) means bigger fans that are loud and a lot of heat. Even clocking them at 2.75 gHZ would result in a lot more heat. It's not worth the risk.

The PS4 and Xbox One have much faster and more RAM which helps eliminate a lot of the real bottlenecks of the PS3/360.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

The PS4 has its GPU to fall back on... apparently its very good with GPU compute, so at least that can help the CPU if it becomes a bottleneck.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

@GTSaiyanjin2: That's not really an option. That would radically alter how you program the game. Splitting the processing between the GPU and CPU for general processing tasks would mean a lot of waiting time and would bog down performance in general.

Stuff like physics could probably be pushed to the GPUs, but then you're sapping precious GPU power away. I believe the PS4 and Xbox One are using APUs so they have that for doing larger, math heavy equations like physics.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@GTSaiyanjin2: That's not really an option. That would radically alter how you program the game. Splitting the processing between the GPU and CPU for general processing tasks would mean a lot of waiting time and would bog down performance in general.

Stuff like physics could probably be pushed to the GPUs, but then you're sapping precious GPU power away. I believe the PS4 and Xbox One are using APUs so they have that for doing larger, math heavy equations like physics.

I dont really understand the tech side of this GPU compute stuff, but I'm sure sony put it in the PS4 for a reason. I know the xbox one does not have the same GPU compute power, so maybe in the future this could be an advantage. But yeah I would imagine it would cripple the GPU if its asked to do too many CPU task's.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@kellykelly said:

haha dream on, but just for the lolz i have a 7970 and core i7, is ps4 better than mine? get on my level peasant

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@kellykelly said:

haha dream on, but just for the lolz i have a 7970 and core i7, is ps4 better than mine? get on my level peasant

About half that guys post count is spewing what you quoted. :P Davekeeh 2.0 is what i think.

My pc already beats both though

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BluRayHiDef

@kellykelly said:

I highly doubt that.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

Cost, obviously. If you are going to keep the costs down in a console, that would be the place to do it.

EDIT: Just read the article. Another stupid comparison. So 4 of the 8 cores in the consoles are reserved for system applications, leaving only 4 cores for the games. The author states "“In raw processing terms, these four Jaguar cores have slightly less than a quarter the grunt of a Core i5-3570K."

>Implying any games use all 4 cores of a 3570k in the first place

>implying that on the cores that the games do use, they max out the CPU

The consoles will be fine and the CPU is not a bottleneck, there just isn't a whole lot of GPU power you can put into the console for $4-500 relative to a PC

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sony did alright, Microsoft didn't mostly due to kinect

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

When compared to AMD Jaguar, CELL's PPE or SPU is weaker in branching type workloads.

In terms of chip size, You could fit four AMD Jaguar cores into one Intel Haswell core.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ronvalencia

@TheKingIAm said:

Is the snapdragon 800 in my phone more powerful than the jaguar cores? And is the adreno 330 more powerful than the 360 and ps3 gpu?

No.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Consolites don't care about hardware power, so this point is moot.

Now it's time to leave this thread, and read all the threads about power comparisons between the two consoles.

I bid thee farewell.

kipsta77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kipsta77
Member since 2012 • 1119 Posts

Yes they are weak. But they have to be.

These are consoles, a small form factor box, heat is a major factor.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ronvalencia

@Netherscourge said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

This is wrong. PS4 would not have 2.5 TFLOPS with 8 core AMD Jaguar CPUs at 2.75 Ghz.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

They use those cores because you can't stick a big, hot monster CPU on a chip right next to a big, hot GPU.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Filthy console peasants are used to this type of things, so they don't care.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@kellykelly said:

get down on your knees peasanet and worship the master race

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

@ronvalencia: I dont see snapdragon 800 in that graph

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

both companies went with the bare minimum for gaming that's why.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

honestly give it all a rest. weak CPU's i mean what are you comparing it to??? because the last time i check the ps3 and the 360 have produced some of the best looking games ever.

Taking high end pc builds which cost more than 800/900 out of the equation ,

both the ps3/360 have been using the same tech for 7years, and the ram of both is around 256mb, this time around they both have 8gb of ram and alot better graphics card, how can you say it's weak when the only comparison you can compare them to is ps3/360.

The whole point of a console is that it is a plug in and play games machine, it's cheap and affordable and we get to play games.

Unless you have a load of money and are always bringing in that money, you won't be able to get the best gaming pc which will play the latest games at the top of it's level for 7years they last around 4years if not less when you start having to bring the settings down.

so it's either spend a 1000 or more for the top end gaming pc which will allow you to play games maxed out for a couple of years and then have to play it in downgraded settings or spend more money to keep up with graphics, or spend 399/499 which guarantee's you the top games at the top graphics for 7years and the only thing you may need to change is a bigger hard drive.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kinthalis

@bezza2011 said:

honestly give it all a rest. weak CPU's i mean what are you comparing it to??? because the last time i check the ps3 and the 360 have produced some of the best looking games ever.

Taking high end pc builds which cost more than 800/900 out of the equation ,

both the ps3/360 have been using the same tech for 7years, and the ram of both is around 256mb, this time around they both have 8gb of ram and alot better graphics card, how can you say it's weak when the only comparison you can compare them to is ps3/360.

The whole point of a console is that it is a plug in and play games machine, it's cheap and affordable and we get to play games.

Unless you have a load of money and are always bringing in that money, you won't be able to get the best gaming pc which will play the latest games at the top of it's level for 7years they last around 4years if not less when you start having to bring the settings down.

so it's either spend a 1000 or more for the top end gaming pc which will allow you to play games maxed out for a couple of years and then have to play it in downgraded settings or spend more money to keep up with graphics, or spend 399/499 which guarantee's you the top games at the top graphics for 7years and the only thing you may need to change is a bigger hard drive.

Are all you consolites so devoid of logic?

Or do you actually think that playing PC games at high settings is the same as console settings? 'cause it's not. You get what you pay for.

And it looks like this next gen is goign to be filled with your 720p, 30 fps tears as games continue to get more demanding :P

I'll be enjoying the same games at 1440p, Gsync, and 144 FPS and way better graphics settings.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I dont buy consoles for their hardware, I but them for their exclusives. I have a gaming PC for when I actually care about pushing gfx.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@bezza2011: consoles don't play games at top settings. The **** you talking about..

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

@kellykelly said:

That doesn't actually matter if you yourself have a good PC.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BluRayHiDef

@bezza2011: Even the most graphically impressive titles on console are works of technical mediocrity sprinkled with tons of post processing effects to hide it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#47 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Less is more.

Literally. Had they went with better CPU's, that would eat into GPU space and RAM wouldn't be as good. Those CPU's won't create any bottlenecks whatsoever, It's all about memory and graphics for game development these days.

And besides, they're still leagues better than the Xenon CPU in xbox 360, so they aren't weak in the first place.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kinthalis

@Chozofication said:

@freedomfreak said:

Less is more.

Literally. Had they went with better CPU's, that would eat into GPU space and RAM wouldn't be as good. Those CPU's won't create any bottlenecks whatsoever, It's all about memory and graphics for game development these days.

And besides, they're still leagues better than the Xenon CPU in xbox 360, so they aren't weak in the first place.

Lol. Keep telling yourself that.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@Chozofication said:

@freedomfreak said:

Less is more.

Lol. Keep telling yourself that.

It's true. You don't need a strong CPU to get the most out of mid-low range GPU's like the ones in the consoles... There's no bottleneck

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#50  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

wow this article is so old. they compare a 4core 1.5ghz jaguar xDDDD

good thing PS4 has a 8core 1.6-2.0ghz jaguar.

so when will PC beat Shadow Fall?