The Verge: Microsoft still won't say how many Xbox Ones have been sold

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

@FireEmblem_Man: It’s bullshit manipulating of history. Sony combined sales sometimes during the early days of PS3 but we always knew how many they shipped because they didn’t hide numbers like MS is doing now. Everyone is still trying to guess how much MS has sold because they stopped reporting numbers in 2015. Sony never did anything on this scale and for you to insinuate they did is a flat out lie.

Sony always have us shipped numbers when they reached important milestones and we always had access to their numbers from the their fiscal reports unlike coy MS.

I'm not manipulating anything! Sony had a warehouse of PS3's before they did a price cut and bundled it with MGSIV! Retailers had a hard time selling PS3 stock in January 2017. They couldn't ship anything unless those retail consoles sold, which is why they made the PS Family for investors because the PS2 was still selling while the GBA was outselling the PS3 in the first few months.

Now if I remember correctly they always did announce the number and that is how people found out that PS3 world wide number was more than 360.. It shock a lot of people because PS3 was getting beat by 360 in the NPD.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@quadknight said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Absolute nonsense. They still reported how many PS3 shipped eventually unlike MS is doing. You lied and said they hid numbers when in actuality they only muddied the numbers. Facts are neither Sony nor Nintendo have ever hidden their numbers in an embarrassing way like MS have with the Xbone. What MS is doing is unprecedented fail.

Why so triggered? They did hide numbers because the PS3 had a slow start! PS2 was making profits to make up the losses they were encountering with the PS3, losing about $200 for every console sold.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@recloud said:

@tryit: it's a competition. We root for our companies. If you can't understand this simple thing, just give up.

Wow, just wow!

product and brand loyalty is a real marketing strategy, one I might add, a friend of mine was educated in.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ni6htmare01

@tryit said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:
@recloud said:

@ni6htmare01: I was writing a reply but have up halfway, let him think what he wants.

oh just let it go, its not funny or cute jesus H christ.

getting back on topic, all I am suggesting to you guys is that perhaps feel more passionate about ACTUAL game play rather than sales figures of companies.

and no, companies making more money DOES NOT always translate into better games

Bah bah bah bah!! Whatever dude!

REALLY?

you actually believe a company making more money translates into better games...

lol

LOL First, is not your concern of what I believe or not to believe. Same goes to the kind of games I like to play or hate to play.. For example some stupid farming SIM lol .. Second, I just think that you are completely full of shit and pretty much waste my breathe to have any kind of discussion with.. So one more time.. Bah Bah Bah!! Whatever Dude!!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 FireEmblem_Man

@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

@FireEmblem_Man: It’s bullshit manipulating of history. Sony combined sales sometimes during the early days of PS3 but we always knew how many they shipped because they didn’t hide numbers like MS is doing now. Everyone is still trying to guess how much MS has sold because they stopped reporting numbers in 2015. Sony never did anything on this scale and for you to insinuate they did is a flat out lie.

Sony always have us shipped numbers when they reached important milestones and we always had access to their numbers from the their fiscal reports unlike coy MS.

I'm not manipulating anything! Sony had a warehouse of PS3's before they did a price cut and bundled it with MGSIV! Retailers had a hard time selling PS3 stock in January 2017. They couldn't ship anything unless those retail consoles sold, which is why they made the PS Family for investors because the PS2 was still selling while the GBA was outselling the PS3 in the first few months.

Now if I remember correctly they always did announce the number and that is how people found out that PS3 world wide number was more than 360.. It shock a lot of people because PS3 was getting beat by 360 in the NPD.

Or maybe, because around 2010, PS3 started to catch up with the 360 which gave confidence for Sony to post numbers for the PS3?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: I’m not triggered at all. Just calling out your bullshit lies. Sony always reported numbers in their fiscal reports and they always gave us sales milestones. It’s how we knew PS3 was selling faster than 360 worldwide and how we knew when it caught up. You can’t say the same thing for MS now. You can’t change history little Sheep, all of us were alive back then to know hat Sony never hid numbers like MS is doing now. Reporting “Sony family” numbers isn’t the same thing as reporting number of bullets fired in SoT no matter how hard you try to damage control.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ni6htmare01

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

Or maybe, because around 2010, PS3 started to catch up with the 360 which gave confidence for Sony to post numbers for the PS3?

Now, You can correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I remember they report the number way before 2010 like the first or 2nd year when people actually thought that PS3 was getting kill by the 360 base on NPD As soon as Sony announce the world wide number and it got everyone shock because it was way more than 360.. By 2010 pretty much everyone here knew PS3 will catch up soon or later.. Now I'm not that crazy to dig into old threads but I'm pretty sure that is how it was..

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 QuadKnight

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

Pulling stuff from your ass again?

These are Sony’s numbers from back in 2009: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sonys-global-ps3-unit-sales/

How do you suppose the author got wordwide sales numbers from every quarter going back to 2006? Please stop making up bullshit as you go along, there are numerous links that prove you wrong.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 FireEmblem_Man

@quadknight said:

@FireEmblem_Man: I’m not triggered at all. Just calling out your bullshit lies. Sony always reported numbers in their fiscal reports and they always gave us sales milestones. It’s how we knew PS3 was selling faster than 360 worldwide and how we knew when it caught up. You can’t say the same thing for MS now. You can’t change history little Sheep, all of us were alive back then to know hat Sony never hid numbers like MS is doing now. Reporting “Sony family” numbers isn’t the same thing as reporting number of bullets fired in SoT no matter how hard you try to damage control.

Not damage controlling anything, nor am lying, PS3 had a rough first start and had trouble outselling the GBA

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By QuadKnight

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

Not damage controlling anything, nor am lying, PS3 had a rough first start and had trouble outselling the GBA

I’ve posted a link above that proves you wrong. Nothing in your link shows they were hiding numbers. Of course PS3 had a rough first year, who’s arguing that you clown? You're sayin they hid numbers like MS when I’ve proven already they didn’t.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ni6htmare01

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

Yeah.. PS3 was getting kill at NPD.. no question but they did announce the numbers and like I said that was why people were in shock by the world wide numbers when it was more than 360.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FireEmblem_Man

@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

Yeah.. PS3 was getting kill at NPD.. no question but they did announce the numbers and like I said that was why people were in shock by the world wide numbers when it was more than 360.

Show me a link of an old NPD numbers in 2007, and maybe I'll cave

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TryIt

@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:
@recloud said:

@ni6htmare01: I was writing a reply but have up halfway, let him think what he wants.

getting back on topic, all I am suggesting to you guys is that perhaps feel more passionate about ACTUAL game play rather than sales figures of companies.

REALLY?

you actually believe a company making more money translates into better games...

lol

LOL First, is not your concern of what I believe or not to believe. Same goes to the kind of games I like to play or hate to play.. For example some stupid farming SIM lol .. Second, I just think that you are completely full of shit and pretty much waste my breathe to have any kind of discussion with.. So one more time.. Bah Bah Bah!! Whatever Dude!!

first off if you think its just a radical coincidence that so many gamers just happen by chance to think exactly like you do and its really 'just how I think' and nothing more then you are being delusional

second off, marketing works and this is textbox example of branding to a tee

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 QuadKnight

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

I’ve already provided a better link. A link that shows worldwide numbers going all the way back to 2006 but you’re ignoring it for whatever reason.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 ni6htmare01

@tryit said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:

REALLY?

lol

first off if you think its just a radical coincidence that so many gamers just happen by chance to think exactly like you do and its really 'just how I think' and nothing more then you are being delusional

second off, marketing works and this is textbox example of branding to a tee

Bah Bah Bah.. Whatever dude!

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ni6htmare01

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/npd-canada-25400244/#js-message-1

LOL here you go!! And PS3 was getting kill by Wii, PS2 and 360.. to my surprise PS2 was still number 2.. what a beast!!

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11088 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

Right. Despite getting smacked around in the US, Sony ultimately revealed numbers and what not. From MS, we get NOTHING! When they couldn't win, they replaced everything with bullshit metrics. If they don't sell consoles, they don't get those precious MAUs they've been chasing after. Their investors may not be interested in the console war, but someone in the MS brass is. Because the response almost seems childishly passive-aggressive.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 FireEmblem_Man

@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@quadknight said:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/npd-canada-25400244/#js-message-1

LOL here you go!! And PS3 was getting kill by Wii, PS2 and 360.. to my surprise PS2 was still number 2.. what a beast!!

Of course, but I'm referring to their investors meetings. MS still posted numbers despite losing to the PS2. Sorry if I'm being hard headed.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ni6htmare01

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Of course, but I'm referring to their investors meetings. MS still posted numbers despite losing to the PS2. Sorry if I'm being hard headed.

Lol you are hard headed and no way I'm digging hundreds of thread to find you one lol.... And I can only speak from what I remember here!

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 FireEmblem_Man

@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

Lol you are hard headed and no way I'm digging hundreds of thread to find you one lol.... And I can only speak from what I remember here!

I was mostly referring to their PR meetings with investors, when they started to use the PS Family term as when the PS2 was making Sony profits and still charting above the 360. They needed to impress investors

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 TryIt

ok but I am the crazy guy for saying 'yeah ummm..about game play?'

lol

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ni6htmare01

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I was mostly referring to their PR meetings with investors, when they started to use the PS Family term as when the PS2 was making Sony profits and still charting above the 360. They needed to impress investors

Lol.. That I remember but I also can't remember when they stop using PS family.. I guess when PS2 was officially stop producing?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 FireEmblem_Man

@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@ni6htmare01 said:

Lol.. That I remember but I also can't remember when they stop using PS family.. I guess when PS2 was officially stop producing?

That and when the PS3 started to outsell the 360 around 2010. When MS started to change focus from gaming to entertainment and kinect.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

MS reported Xbox numbers because it was a new console and they just wanted to show how Xbox is selling. It has nothing to do with PS2. Xbox launched 2 and a half years later after PS2. Of course MS knew PS2 isn't a competition. Xbox was just a test to penetrate the market.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@techhog89 said:

Both Sony and Nintendo have provided shipped numbers every quarter regardless of success. After all, if that weren't the case we wouldn't have known that Switch has already surpassed Wii U (by over 4 million now).

Did you ignore Sony doing this practice a gen ago? Regardless, it's a tactic they all do to impress investors that hold their stock.

They still reported shipment numbers every quarter. You don't remember it because people were dumb back then and treated shipment figures as if they don't matter or are misleading.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@tryit said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:
@recloud said:

REALLY?

lol

You have more bullets to hit targets. This is with the disregard of luck and skill.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Raw sales numbers don't matter, but market share does. It makes the difference between third parties choosing to release games on that platform or not. We've seen a few devs choosing not to bother with Xbox because the markets they sell in it would not be worth their time. Was the same for the PS3 for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#78 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I remember quite well when back in the X360 days the tool Aaron Greenberg was always in the mood to brag about how much better the 360 was doing over the PS3 and how much superior the 360 exclusive library was much better then the PS3...

How times have changed

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#79  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

We all know why so even if they wont say doesnt matter.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 mowgly1

According to NPD analyst Mat Piscatella, Xbone Q3 2018 compared to same Q3 last year showing almost 40% growth in US. And that means in rest of the world sales are VERY LOW or better to say, sales are down ROTW outside US when MS announced 15% growth YOY.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Oh noes! How ever will I sleep at night?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Play Sea of Thieves right before bedtime.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

@Nike_Air: I’d recommend that you keep your day job.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 TryIt

@j2zon2591 said:
@tryit said:
@ni6htmare01 said:
@tryit said:
@recloud said:

REALLY?

lol

You have more bullets to hit targets. This is with the disregard of luck and skill.

its a myth.

one that I would not be surprised to learn is intentionally indoctrinated into youth via school.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#85 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@biack_goku said:
@StormyJoe said:

@biack_goku: So, it was cool when the Sony didn't release PS3 sales, though?

Read a couple posts up. Sony still provided us with PS3 sales figures.

Not really, no. They provided that 50 million sell-in number, and that was about it. The rest of the time, their sales were PS1 + PS2 + PS3 sales. I was here when it was going on...

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

If your getting battered then why would you announce any numbers. It's been embarrassing this gen.

MS are not even reporting consoles shipped anymore.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Get a Woman?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@StormyJoe: If you were there you'd know what you're saying is BS lol. Ps1 sales figured in, Bwahahahaha.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

To be fair, tracking console sales is a pretty outdated method - nowadays there are so many other metrics that can be tracked that are arguably more valuable.

Saying that though, its obvious the reason MS isn't releasing their sales figures. They may not hold much value in that figure, but if they were winning they'd sure as hell still be talking about it.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

@RR360DD: Nothing is more valuable to a console than market share.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#91  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@tryit said:

why do so many people care about how much money companies make?

I mean I get it if you are an investor, but this isnt a stock forum

Because people with no stake in it can point at other people and say "HaHa!"

I am an investor in SNE, MSFT, NTDOY, TTWO among other stocks. But I am an investor in the corporation. I cant buy shares of PS or Xbox. So this stuff doesn't matter to me.

Its obvious MS see the massive gap in sales of consoles as something you don't help publicize. OMG! People trying to avoid embarrassment? Like people on this forum don't do that in their own lives? People here call out corporate PR and greed as if they themselves live Mother Theresa's life. LOL

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@vfighter said:

@StormyJoe: If you were there you'd know what you're saying is BS lol. Ps1 sales figured in, Bwahahahaha.

Umm... Yes, I was there; and yes, they did that. They were still selling the PS1 at the time. Their press releases and 10-Ks had "PlayStation total console sales" (or something similar).

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Apparently the xbox one x has not been selling well if they still wont release numbers. No games=No buy

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@creepywelps said:

@RR360DD: Nothing is more valuable to a console than market share.

I disagree - not in this scenario where both the Playstation and Xbox have enough of a marketshare to be taken seriously by publishers (in most markets). Marketshare is obviously important, but look at the Wii - whats the use in selling 100+million consoles when over half your install base only buys one game a year (if even).

Once you reach a certain threshold, customer engagement is what matters. With the uplift in online, there are now so many more ways for them to track engagement, and its why we're seeing more and more GAAS and online subscription services etc. Thats where the money is at and thats where the industry is heading. They aren't selling consoles to make money on hardware.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@tryit said:

Think it like this, since you don't buy consoles: Your favourite company fails to make profit from the games they sell, they go under, no more games from them. That simple.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TryIt

@Epak_ said:
@tryit said:

Think it like this, since you don't buy consoles: Your favourite company fails to make profit from the games they sell, they go under, no more games from them. That simple.

game quality is not related to sales. only if the bank account goes to zero is that a problem.

I have seen it first hand many times having played a large variety of different games, I can say with extreme confidence that sales figures are NOT related to game quality. I have played cheap indie games that are fantastic and AAA titles that are horrid. so there really isnt a correlation.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mowgly1

@StormyJoe said:
@biack_goku said:
@StormyJoe said:

@biack_goku: So, it was cool when the Sony didn't release PS3 sales, though?

Read a couple posts up. Sony still provided us with PS3 sales figures.

Not really, no. They provided that 50 million sell-in number, and that was about it. The rest of the time, their sales were PS1 + PS2 + PS3 sales. I was here when it was going on...

How Sony provided us PS3 numbers combined with PS1 and PS2 when PS1 was discontinued when PS3 launched???? Sony provided us PS3 sales numbers. And without PS1 ( LOL ) and PS2 numbers. Shall we start with..... 40+ mil.? And so on.

https://www.engadget.com/2011/03/03/ps3-stats-over-41-million-consoles-sold-psn-revenue-up-70-perc/

Besides 50 mil. they provided us with 70 mil. too

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-weve-sold-70-million-ps3-consoles-worldwide/

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#98 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

They won't as long as they aren't the leader of the generation. Sony combined ps3, ps2, and psp numbers last gen. It is what companies do when they aren't outselling the competition.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 QuadKnight

? @ damage controlling lems in this thread. Yea Sony combined numbers in a few of their reports but they still have us PS3 numbers at the end of the day. MS has been dodging numbers since 2015, no combined numbers, just straight up no numbers at all.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@tryit: Yes, they run out of money and they have to kill the company or lay off enough employees to stay afloat.