The TRUTH about review sites. Can we every trust them again?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPinktc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 MrPinktc
Member since 2003 • 872 Posts

This e-mail is just one of many I receive all the time. In the world of videogame journalism, we as critics are often told what we can say and when we can say it. At times this makes sense. For example, if a particular Publisher is about to reveal several big announcements, they can give us the information beforehand with a verbal or signed NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) that we will not reveal the information to the public until a certain time. But when the press is shown a Preview or told we can write about a Beta, there are still many rules in place. These rules include:

(1) Always be positive

(2) Remember this is an early build

(3) Element X Y Z will be fixed and changed upon release

(4) Disobey any of the above and you will be banned

Not only do the rules above apply to Previews but some Publishers are willing to extend this to include even Reviews. At times we have been told that we are not allowed to give a game a bad score. If we refused to take it down or revise the score, we had to have a second writer cover the game who had not been tainted by our previous coverage. If we refused, the company threatened to blacklist us.

http://www.cvgames.com/?p=2722

Good long read enjoy!

twags82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 twags82
Member since 2003 • 4531 Posts
*farts*
Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
I don't trust anything but my own opinion anyway. So even if that was true it wouldn't matter. At worst I will rent an overrated game because of a review.
TheSpidren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TheSpidren
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 But I believe it. Ah well.
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
Official reviews are a secondary source for me to see how good a game it, I mostly rely on individual reviews, ask questions in the game boards. It is pretty obvious that this sort of censorship was in place.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
I understand the rules for previews, but not for actual final reviews. That is just wrong. I usually look at reviews from different gaming sites, read in forums and also the reader reviews. If you look at more reviews, there more things you can pick out that are the strong points and the weak points.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Game reviews can be good-- they give us insight to what the technical aspects are/graphics etc....but as far as gameplay is concerned...Which is the most important imo......i trust no game reveiw site...not even gamespot im sorry to say. Gamespot is good, but noone judges a game but me and my preferences...reader reviews are better than one guys 'official review', even though i dnt even trust reader reviews, because some people are way offff sometimes..then again some people might think my review is way off too...so you see the problem.