The thread to end all UC vs Alan Wake Threads! The Winner IS....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Theseeker,Rusaki posts direct feed shots taken with capture card.They are straight from frame buffer meaning this is what PS3 outputs on TV,here are other shots.

Bus-A-Bus

Out of curiosity, would this be a roughly accurate approximation of removal of the skybox from this shot?

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#302 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Theseeker,Rusaki posts direct feed shots taken with capture card.They are straight from frame buffer meaning this is what PS3 outputs on TV,here are other shots.

shinrabanshou

Out of curiosity, would this be a roughly accurate approximation of removal of the skybox from this shot?

Almost, the mountains and the water between them aren't part of the sky box.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 shinrabanshou

skektek

Hmm, I erred on the side of caution (as by my eye I wasn't quite convinced that they're being rendered.)

Presumably Alan Wake has larger draw distances (but I'm of the same skepticism as Digital Foundry in opining that it's entirely plausible that AW is also using similar techniques to give such illusions of "open world-ness") but I wonder if that will shut saolin/obamanian up about his silly "graphics metric" of U2's "last gen scale" by which I'm guessing he means draw distance, a term I know despite not being some sort of game developer like he claims to be.

Nah. Who am I kiddin'?

siddhu33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 siddhu33
Member since 2008 • 3264 Posts

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

skektek

Are you sure? I think that they might be, actually... I mean, why render them in real-time?

legolas95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#305 legolas95
Member since 2008 • 5610 Posts

I own both and Uncharted win by 5 miles instead of 1. Uncharted looks better period, you would have to be blind not to see that.

That said, Alan Wake still does have awesome graphics.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 skektek

[QUOTE="skektek"]

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]Out of curiosity, would this be a roughly accurate approximation of removal of the skybox from this shot?

siddhu33

Are you sure? I think that they might be, actually... I mean, why render them in real-time?

Yeah, you can see the water move and shimmer and the perspective of the mountain slopes change slightly as you move around.

theseekar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 theseekar
Member since 2010 • 1537 Posts

I own both and Uncharted win by 5 miles instead of 1. Uncharted looks better period, you would have to be blind not to see that.

legolas95

So, you see huge open spaces in U2 ? Or dynamic volumetric lighting ? Or maybe weather effects and wind affecting whole forests, or thick open forests with huge detailed foliage ?

Sorry, i am definatly not blind, and i dont see anything as impressive in U2, only tiny spaces, no forests and static lighting mostly, and the only better thing is a bit crisper image, which is minimal

So, no, i am definatly not blind

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

[QUOTE="skektek"]

skektek

Yeah, you can see the water move and shimmer and the perspective of the mountain slopes change slightly as you move around.

They are most likely not rendered...it does not make much sense to do that since you cant go there,so why waste polygons on something that you can do to look the same but free?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
[QUOTE="theseekar"]

[QUOTE="legolas95"]

So, you see huge open spaces in U2 ? Or dynamic volumetric lighting ? Or maybe weather effects and wind affecting whole forests, or thick open forests with huge detailed foliage ?

Sorry, i am definatly not blind, and i dont see anything as impressive in U2, only tiny spaces, no forests and static lighting mostly, and the only better thing is a bit crisper image, which is minimal

so what trophies have you acquired in UC2?
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 shinrabanshou

[QUOTE="skektek"]

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

Bus-A-Bus

They are most likely not rendered...it does not make much sense to do that since you cant go there,so why waste polygons on something that you can do to look the same but free?

Hmm, I had a check of chapter 6 via the magic of google and youtube, and I don't think the mountains are rendered. At the same time though I can't remember if you actually go to the buildings in that scene (earlier in the chapter maybe) and they're being rendered. I'm guessing if it improved the look slightly with no real compromise to anything else then why not?

Likewise in Alan Wake objects/backdrops are being rendered that are superfluous to the actual gameplay.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="skektek"]

shinrabanshou

Hmm, I had a check of chapter 6 via the magic of google and youtube, and I don't think the mountains are rendered. At the same time though I can't remember if you actually go to the buildings in that scene (earlier in the chapter maybe) and they're being rendered. I'm guessing if it improved the look slightly with no real compromise to anything else then why not?

Likewise in Alan Wake objects/backdrops are being rendered that are superfluous to the actual gameplay.

Alan Wake AFAIK MUST render everything since you can visit those places,UC2 does not have to and it would be waste of resources and devs stupidity to do that.Anyway,those UC2 mountains are not actual "models".

theseekar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 theseekar

[QUOTE="theseekar"]

[QUOTE="legolas95"]

clone01

I dont even know, i guess some appeared here and there, i dont hunt for trophies or achievements

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 shinrabanshou

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Bus-A-Bus

Alan Wake AFAIK MUST render everything since you can visit those places,UC2 does not have to and it would be waste of resources and devs stupidity to do that.Anyway,those UC2 mountains are not actual "models".

Errr... I was agreeing that those mountains aren't rendered and are part of the skybox. The buildings aren't skybox though by my eye, and I can't remember if you visit them or not - so sure they're potentially a "waste of resources".

Every game has to render everything that you can visit, so that seems rather moot, but as far as I'm aware you can't visit everything that's shown on the screen in AW either. Otherwise it would actually have some claim to being open world.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 clone01
[QUOTE="theseekar"]

[QUOTE="clone01"][QUOTE="theseekar"]

I dont even know, i guess some appeared here and there, i dont hunt for trophies or achievements

well, if you created a quick psn id, it would prove that you've actually played the game. you've yet to provide any evidence that you own either console.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#315 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Bus-A-Bus

Because of LOD, it's essentially the same thing anyway.

Objects in the far distance are replaced with 2D placeholders. Detail is added in as you approach the object.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 skektek

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="skektek"]

shinrabanshou

Here is the link for anyone who may need a refresh.

The water is definitely rendered as it is animated and the mountains look rendered as well, the last layer, the ones with the snow, may be part of the sky box.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]Hmm, I had a check of chapter 6 via the magic of google and youtube, and I don't think the mountains are rendered. At the same time though I can't remember if you actually go to the buildings in that scene (earlier in the chapter maybe) and they're being rendered. I'm guessing if it improved the look slightly with no real compromise to anything else then why not?

shinrabanshou

Errr... I was agreeing that those mountains aren't rendered and are part of the skybox. The buildings aren't skybox though by my eye, and I can't remember if you visit them or not - so sure they're potentially a "waste of resources".

Every game has to render everything that you can visit, so that seems rather moot, but as far as I'm aware you can't visit everything that's shown on the screen in AW either. Otherwise it would actually have some claim to being open world.

No but in AW whole map is rendered,has to be because its how they made the game.You can get close to mountains and see that they are actually textured models and not 2d background,same goes for UC2 buildings.They could not made it 2d,it would be obvious and ugly but mountains they could since you cant really spot that.

theseekar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 theseekar

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]Hmm, I had a check of chapter 6 via the magic of google and youtube, and I don't think the mountains are rendered. At the same time though I can't remember if you actually go to the buildings in that scene (earlier in the chapter maybe) and they're being rendered. I'm guessing if it improved the look slightly with no real compromise to anything else then why not?

shinrabanshou

But you can visit a vastly bigger open space than in U2, that is the point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5DcODYTSuc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_i5IFpLIv0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq92xgAmsOs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxSDJufe7LQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-w4mniMjU&feature=related

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 shinrabanshou

[QUOTE="shinrabanshou"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Bus-A-Bus

No but in AW whole map is rendered,has to be because its how they made the game.You can get close to mountains and see that they are actually textured models and not 2d background,same goes for UC2 buildings.They could not made it 2d,it would be obvious and ugly but mountains they could since you cant really spot that.

I'm not familiar enough with AW's development, or game design in general, to know, so I figure I might as well ask: does rendering the map imply that everything is rendered in its full detail geometry or does it still mean some sort of LOD algorithms are being used so that objects in the distance are low minimal detail, with geometry/texture detail increasing upon approach?

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

Seriously seekar you claimed that the Uncharted 2 shots are bullshots b/c they don't have a hub. That proves to me that you have never played Uncharted 2 bc the hud isn't omnipresent, it only shows up when you shoot, aim, or change weapons. If you are just standing there then the game has no hud.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 clone01
[QUOTE="theseekar"]

well, if you created a quick psn id, it would prove that you've actually played the game. you've yet to provide any evidence that you own either console.

Ok, lets make this easier, i dont own any console or games and i generally dont game at all

I just happened to find this forum by total accident (was searching for grey bearspot actually) and i got interested in the silent war here

Truth is, i did not know what the word "game" was until after i spent 1 month here

Happy now, at last, you got me admit everything

then why do you post in a gaming forum if you have no interest in gaming?
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Seriously seekar you claimed that the Uncharted 2 shots are bullshots b/c they don't have a hub. That proves to me that you have never played Uncharted 2 bc the hud isn't omnipresent, it only shows up when you shoot, aim, or change weapons. If you are just standing there then the game has no hud.

jyoung312

And it's impossible to take screenshots that show the HUD using the screen capture mode in the game.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#324 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Look at them jaggies in the UC2 screen, yep, the game looks exactly like that and not the dumb bullshots that people spam on that game.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#325 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20279 Posts

theseekar

well you can turn on your ps3 and look them up. really simple.
Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 Zero_epyon

jyoung312
Bazinga!
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#327 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

[QUOTE="theseekar"]

[QUOTE="clone01"] so what trophies have you acquired in UC2?Zero_epyon

Don't bother. He is banned, lol. I am sure he will be back under a new name by the time Fable III rolls around.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 mitu123

Bus-A-Bus

Going by these screens, how in the hell does ANYONE pic this game over Crysis in graphics, that just blows my mind.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

mitu123

Going by these screens, how in the hell does ANYONE pic this game over Crysis in graphics, that just blows my mind.

Its effect called posting bullshots and then believing that the game looks like that even though it does not.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"][QUOTE="theseekar"]

ironcreed

Don't bother. He is banned, lol. I am sure he will be back under a new name by the time Fable III rolls around.

Ahh, well that should definitely put a stop to this argument. Thank goodness. But at least he gave system wars a new word to be annoyed by ;)
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Bus-A-Bus

Its effect called posting bullshots and then believing that the game looks like that even though it does not.

What's funnier is that the Uncharted 2 bullshots don't even look better than Crysis unmodded:lol:, modded Crysis destroys it more too.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Going by these screens, how in the hell does ANYONE pic this game over Crysis in graphics, that just blows my mind.

mitu123

What's funnier is that the Uncharted 2 bullshots don't even look better than Crysis unmodded:lol:, modded Crysis destroys it more too.

Tell me...

And its 3 yrs old... :lol: Cant WAIT to see Crysis 2 gameplay tomorrow :D

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Going by these screens, how in the hell does ANYONE pic this game over Crysis in graphics, that just blows my mind.

mitu123

I hate when people take console games that look great like U2 and Alan Wake or even Gears and compare them to Crysis. It hurts the console games themselves.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
Seems like Sao- I mean theseekar finally got himself banned.... http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/index.php?user=theseekar
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Bus-A-Bus

Tell me...

Tommorow? Niiice :D
I'm finaly getting some extra RAM and formatting my toxic virus dump of a computer, maybe I'll finaly be able to play Crysis 1 at more then 20 FPS :D

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 Bus-A-Bus

Seems like Sao- I mean theseekar finally got himself banned.... http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/index.php?user=theseekarSollet

:lol:

If only Gamespot would look closer to the guy called persisten... :D

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 Sollet

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] What's funnier is that the Uncharted 2 bullshots don't even look better than Crysis unmodded:lol:, modded Crysis destroys it more too.

chaplainDMK

Tell me...

I'm finaly getting some extra RAM and formatting my toxic virus dump of a computer, maybe I'll finaly be able to play Crysis 1 at more then 20 FPS :D

I really hope that they'll finally show the real deal... PC version.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] What's funnier is that the Uncharted 2 bullshots don't even look better than Crysis unmodded:lol:, modded Crysis destroys it more too.

chaplainDMK

Tell me...

Oh yes,on GTTV,probably console version...

You will be able to play it,no doubt.It is much more optimized this time around :)

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 Zero_epyon

[QUOTE="Sollet"]Seems like Sao- I mean theseekar finally got himself banned.... Bus-A-Bus

Why are we level 1's?

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 Sollet
[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Seems like Sao- I mean theseekar finally got himself banned.... Sollet

Why are we level 1's?

Wut? It says 37 on my screen.. Did we all get moderated like crazy :P?
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Tell me...

Sollet

I really hope that they'll finally show the real deal... PC version.

Naw...its most definitely console version.They are only showing 360 version and i dont see that stoping,plus GT is console site,mostly...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 Zero_epyon
[QUOTE="Sollet"][QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Why are we level 1's?

You're fin Bus and I aren't.
Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 Sollet

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Tell me...

Bus-A-Bus

You will be able to play it,no doubt.It is much more optimized this time around :)

You positive it's the console version? Damn why ain't they showing PC :

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Zero_epyon"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Sollet

Why are we level 1's?

Im lvl 1???WTF?? :lol:

And i have been really suspicious since Zero had 2k posts but was lvl 1 :)

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="chaplainDMK"]

Sollet

Probably cus some people would not buy their version :) To me,i would like console version.Just to see how are they doin with consoles,im buyin new PC on summer so ill be ready for it,i know it is going to look superb on PC :)

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 Sollet
[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="Sollet"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Probably cus some people would not buy their version :) To me,i would like console version.Just to see how are they doin with consoles,im buyin new PC on summer so ill be ready for it,i know it is going to look superb on PC :)

Oh well, there's always E3 :P
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="Sollet"] You positive it's the console version? Damn why ain't they showing PC :

Sollet

Oh well, there's always E3 :P

I track Crysis 2 much and i heard that they are not showing PC version until later in summer...could be wrong though...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 mitu123

Seems like Sao- I mean theseekar finally got himself banned.... http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/index.php?user=theseekarSollet
Wow, he got banned again.:lol:

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 Bus-A-Bus

How the hell am I 1st level??? :? I was 15 today :lol:

mitu123

Forum Posts