The thing I dislike about PC gaming

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It's too expensive. Sure, it can be quite inexpensive if you're not demanding, but if you want to play all games "the way it's ment to be played" on a regular basis, it can be really expensive. Also, I miss certain big multiplatform console exclusives. I understand Nintendo and Sony don't want to port their games over to the PC, but I'm not so understandable about Microsoft. If they really cared about PC gaming, they wouldn't make games like Alan Wake 360 exclusive. But that's another story, of course.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
How would Nintendo port their games?
Eggimannd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Eggimannd
Member since 2009 • 1734 Posts

It's too expensive. Sure, it can be quite inexpensive if you're not demanding, but if you want to play all games "the way it's ment to be played" on a regular basis, it can be really expensive. Also, I miss certain big multiplatform console exclusives. I understand Nintendo and Sony don't want to port their games over to the PC, but I'm not so understandable about Microsoft. If they really cared about PC gaming, they wouldn't make games like Alan Wake 360 exclusive. But that's another story, of course.

nameless12345

1. You get what you pay for.

2. Get a job.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

nameless12345

It's expensive yes and no... If you want to play all your games a maximum settings then yes, it could be.

But at the point where I am, I only upgrade parts, which cut the cost by alot. Buying a whole new system is finish for me.

Console are also expensive is you want to play " the way it's meant to be played"... so I'm not sure about your argument.

Rhino53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Rhino53
Member since 2008 • 2552 Posts

MS doesn't care about PC gaming because it's not for "casuals"

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

If you consider two to five years a "regular basis", then you're first point is correct.

Most multiplatform games are on PCs too.

Missing exclusives can be said about any console that you don't own; there are even some Xbox 'exclusives' that the PC shares with just it.

:|

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
"The way it's meant to be played" on PC (1080p, 60 fps, High-Max) > "the way it's meant to be played" on console (720p, 30 fps, Med). The expense is justified, for those who can reasonably afford it.
Sky-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sky-
Member since 2010 • 4682 Posts

I agree with you TC. Cost is probably the biggest issue preventing me from purchasing a gaming PC. While I would like to devote more of my time and money to gaming, circumstances are such that I simply can't do that. I might invest in one later down the road.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

If you want to play ANY game with max graphics then you need to have a high end PC anyways. And i have a 3 year old PC which was mid-range when i got it and i still max nearly every game. Honestly, i switched to PC gaming because it was less expensive for me. I save up for a single large investment, then spend almost nothing for the next 5-6 years because games are so much cheaper.

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

everyone knows that.... games are first developed on the PC.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
A fast dual core $100-110 4gb of DDR3 ram $100 an Ati 5770 that can play almost all games at max settings at 1080p $140 An LGA1156 motherboard $80 320gb HD $50 DVD $20 Case $30 Power supply $60 for a decent 450-500W Psu with 80plus cert 1 extra 12cm fan for case $10 Roughly $600. and considering the thinks you can do with a pc aside gaming and the fact that pc games cost less than consoles and the mods available that extend the life of your pc games and the great free pc games ( like trackmania that is better than alot of AA,AAA $60 console game ) the cost of a Pc is very reasonable and quite less expensive that what you needed for gaming 5-10 years ago
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
I sort of agree with you, TC. It's why these days, I really only play RTS games on my PC. I can't be bothered to buy regular upgrades to service the more demanding genres.

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Eggimannd

1. You get what you pay for.

2. Get a job.

I have a job, but most of that money goes towards things like food, housing, tuition, books, and buying actual games when able.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  1. Any PC can be a gaming PC. You don't need to play "all" games "the way they are meant to be played." You are really going to buy every game available for the platform?
  2. The PC has more multiplatform and exclusive games than any console... and many multiplatform games are the best available versions. Proof.
  3. A PC can cost as however much you want it to. Any 5 year old computer can be turned into a formidable gaming rig with little more than $200-300 (and many are already capable of playing hundreds of games without any upgrades).
  4. A PC does far more than just gaming... which you should consider if you want to spend more than $500 on a new one. There is word processing, internet surfing, image editing, music playing, instant messaging, cd/dvd burning, movie watching and almost any other computerized task you can think of... and unlike consoles, you can do it all at once.
  5. Most PC games cost $50 and go down in price extremely quickly. While console games start at $60 and go down slower (Nintendo games start at $50 and never go down). On top of that, places like Steam offer pre-order discounts (25-33% off) and huge sales throughout the year (25-75% off).

Don't downplay the PC because you don't understand how cheap it really can be, and how much more than consoles it offers (in terms of games and features). Alan Wake became a 360-only game because MS wanted more exclusives for their console platform; they have no influence or control of the PC platform. Sony is actually looking into putting games onto PC, and are already quite a large developer/publisher of games on PC (especially MMO's).
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

but if you want to play all games "the way it's ment to be played" on a regular basis, it can be really expensive

nameless12345

You mean like we play thousands of hours out of a game that on consoles wouldn't last more than 10?

kong_sevixnine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 kong_sevixnine
Member since 2008 • 940 Posts

1) Any PC can be a gaming PC. You don't need to play "all" games "the way they are meant to be played."
2) The PC has more multiplatform and exclusive games than any console... and many multiplatform games are the best available versions.
3) A PC can cost as however much you want it to. Any 5 year old computer can be turned into a formidable gaming rig with little more than $200-300.
4) A PC does far more than just gaming... which you should consider if you want to spend more than $500 on a new one. There is word processing, internet surfing, image editing, music playing, instant messaging, cd/dvd burning, movie watching and almost any other computerized task you can think of... and unlike consoles, you can do it all at once.

Don't downplay the PC because you don't understand how cheap it really can be, and how much more than consoles it offers (in terms of games and features). Alan Wake became a 360-only game because MS wanted more exclusives for their console platform; they have no influence or control of the PC platform. Sony is actually looking into putting games onto PC, and are already quite a large developer/publisher of games on PC (especially MMO's).

foxhound_fox

Please further explain number 2; There are also alot of multiplats not on pc; Soul Calibur is one of them.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
This is not even worth debating. It has been proven by many PC gamers here before PC gaming is in fact not as expensive as some of you console players make it out to be. Maybe you are doing it to justify purchasing a console, who knows. PC gaming can get really expensive that is a fact, but do you need an expensive computer to top consoles? HELL NO!
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345

Oh, I forgot about compatibility issues and seeking the right graphical settings and the need to install basically everything. That annoys me too.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345

This is not even worth debating. It has been proven by many PC gamers here before PC gaming is in fact not as expensive as some of you console players make it out to be. Maybe you are doing it to justify purchasing a console, who knows. PC gaming can get really expensive that is a fact, but do you need an expensive computer to top consoles? HELL NO!millerlight89

Who is saying anything about consoles? ;)

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mograine

Oh, I forgot about compatibility issues and seeking the right graphical settings and the need to install basically everything. That annoys me too.

nameless12345

How about BACKWARDS compatibility?

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bebi_vegeta

nameless12345

I prefer install, I mean, Steam FTW.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"]This is not even worth debating. It has been proven by many PC gamers here before PC gaming is in fact not as expensive as some of you console players make it out to be. Maybe you are doing it to justify purchasing a console, who knows. PC gaming can get really expensive that is a fact, but do you need an expensive computer to top consoles? HELL NO!nameless12345

Who is saying anything about consoles? ;)

Uh you? It is right up there in your OP, unless 360 is not longer one.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

"The way it's meant to be played" on PC (1080p, 60 fps, High-Max) > "the way it's meant to be played" on console (720p, 30 fps, Med). The expense is justified, for those who can reasonably afford it.GhoX

For the PC, I go with the least common denominator which is 720p and 30 fps. Of course at that res, it really is 720p and not just upscaled. Plus all details can be bumped up to high.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 millerlight89

[QUOTE="GhoX"]"The way it's meant to be played" on PC (1080p, 60 fps, High-Max) > "the way it's meant to be played" on console (720p, 30 fps, Med). The expense is justified, for those who can reasonably afford it.jun_aka_pekto

For the PC, I go with the least common denominator which is 720p and 30 fps. Of course at that res, it really is 720p and not just upscaled. Plus all details can be bumped up to high.

Good point, most of the big titles for consoles are just unscaled.
Saberhearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Saberhearts
Member since 2010 • 128 Posts

What i hate, is how games are becoming so needy these days. A Computer you got, say maybe a year and half ago wouldnt be able to handle Call of duty modern warfare 2. Pathetic.

I Really also want to play battlefield 2, but it says 'Please insert the installation disk and try again' WHY ALL THE FRIGGEN ERRORS!???? BEFORE YOU MAKE A GAME! MAKE SURE IT WORKS!!!!!

This didnt help did it....

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Mograine

You need an emulator for the really old PC games to even run on modern PCs. Not to mention I can't get Doom 3 to run on Windows 7.

Another truth is that on the PC every graphically promising game is causing questions how it will run before it's released. And as far as I remember not even the best rigs could run Crysis maxed out in high-res with some AA and AF on when it came out. Sad but true :P

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

PC gaming is either very expensive or not worth it depending on how much you enjoy indie games and Blizzard. if you don't pay for a high end PC the graphical advantage is either negligible or worse than on consoles (depending on how cheap your rig is) while shelling out for one means $900 or more for being on top of recent games for the next 2-3 years. Of course its definitely one hell of an advantage, especially with the mods of already graphically great games.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

What i hate, is how games are becoming so needy these days. A Computer you got, say maybe a year and half ago wouldnt be able to handle Call of duty modern warfare 2. Pathetic.

I Really also want to play battlefield 2, but it says 'Please insert the installation disk and try again' WHY ALL THE FRIGGEN ERRORS!???? BEFORE YOU MAKE A GAME! MAKE SURE IT WORKS!!!!!

Saberhearts
My late 2006 video card handles Call of Duty quite well. Much better than consoles in-fact. BF2 stopped doing the disk insertion requirment after patch 1.5
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mograine

Saberhearts

BS. Modern Warfare 2 has a single core and a 6600GT as minimum specs, both 5+ years old hardware.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bebi_vegeta

Saberhearts

BF2 does work... your DVD is probably scrathed to death.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 millerlight89

Saberhearts
BF2 works perfectly for me. Be sure to understand the platform before bashing it. As for the first comment :P, are you serious? Come up with better material man.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

You need an emulator for the really old PC games to even run on modern PCs. Not to mention I can't get Doom 3 to run on Windows 7.

Another truth is that on the PC every graphically promising game is causing questions how it will run before it's released. And as far as I remember not even the best rigs could run Crysis maxed out in high-res with some AA and AF on when it came out. Sad but true :P

I can't even play previous generation games on my PS3 slim...

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mograine

You need an emulator for the really old PC games to even run on modern PCs.

nameless12345

So what?

Not to mention I can't get Doom 3 to run on Windows 7.

nameless12345

Keyword "I".

nameless12345

Future proofing, genius. Sad but true.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Console gaming was great. I loved my ps3. But when hackers invaded TF2 and never left, it completely ruined console gaming for me. My favorite game was unplayable. I bought a pc that could game and I haven't looked back. The games run alot better, better controls, better graphics....and it does so much more than game. A pc to me, is invaluable in this modern age of electronics. Invaluable. The online gaming community among pc gamers is equally as annoying as those on consoles however.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Please further explain number 2; There are also alot of multiplats not on pc; Soul Calibur is one of them.kong_sevixnine

Here you go.

PC: 13 AAAE, 79 AAE
360: 7 AAAE, 15 AAE
PS3: 7 AAAE, 13 AAE
Wii: 4 AAAE, 23 AAE
XBLA: 1 AAAE, 17 AAE
PSN: 1 AAAE, 7 AAE
WiiWare: 0 AAAE, 4 AAE

PC: 31 AAA, 129 AA
360: 34 AAA, 122 AA
PS3: 32 AAA, 98 AA
Wii: 8 AAA, 54 AA
XBLA: 13 AAA, 55 AA
PSN: 3 AAA, 21 AA
WiiWare: 1 AAA, 6 AA

And if you read many of those reviews, you'll find the PC is the "definitive" version.

But then again, I could just reiterate my original statement... PC has the largest selection of quality games this generation, no matter where you go.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nameless12345

So what if it had the best tech? It took, like two generations? of graphics cards for it to become playlable on max setting in high-res with AA and AF on decent settings :P

Backwards problems are also not limited to Doom 3.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

This is for the "I can't get really old stuff to work" people.

Nearly everything else is possible to run in W7.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

He's back from suspension and the first thing he does is create another generic PC sucks thread. :roll:

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mograine

So what if it had the best tech? It took, like two generations? of graphics cards for it to become playlable on max setting in high-res with AA and AF on decent settings :P

nameless12345

Again. So what?

nameless12345

Yes, for YOU.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 millerlight89

nameless12345
That is because the developers made Crysis that way. They wanted to make a game where people could come back years later and fully max it. They stated time after time that when Crysis released there would be no current hardware that could "fully" max it.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

millerlight89

That is because the developers made Crysis that way. They wanted to make a game where people could come back years later and fully max it. They stated time after time that when Crysis released there would be no current hardware that could "fully" max it.

Future proofing is a negative in the consolite world. Don't forget that.

It's why Gametrailers didn't deem Crysis with best graphics despite looking better than the rest even when it wasn't maxed out.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nameless12345

This is for the "I can't get really old stuff to work" people.

Nearly everything else is possible to run in W7.

Filthybastrd

See, you need to bother with emulators, custom configs and a whole lot of simmilar trash to get your older games working on modern PCs ;)

And I didn't know that "I dislike" translates into "PC sucks". Maybe some of your should check the meanings of words? :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
1. Keyboard baby. 2. PS3s and Xbox360s dont glow in neon colors or feature water cooling. 3. Framerate. PCs will dominate in the area of graphics and performance for some time to come. 4. I don't need to buy three game consoles to have complete title availability. If it's made for the PC, I can play it. 5. Multifunction game, email, web, financial apps, office all for one price. 6. Console getting a little long in the tooth? No upgrading for you! You'll have to go out and buy the newest version.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mograine

See, you need to bother with emulators, custom configs and a whole lot of simmilar trash to get your older games working on modern PCs ;)

nameless12345

At least you do get backwards compatibility. Unlike consoles, where the only thing you can do is suck it up.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

millerlight89

See, PC gaming is too expensive if you intend to max out everything. Thanks for proving my point :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68
[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"] href="http://www.dosbox.com/">This is for the "I can't get really old stuff to work" people.Nearly everything else is possible to run in W7.nameless12345
See, you need to bother with emulators, custom configs and a whole lot of simmilar trash to get your older games working on modern PCs ;)And I didn't know that "I dislike" translates into "PC sucks". Maybe some of your should check the meanings of words? :P

For some us doing that kind of thing is enjoyable and fun to do. I always get a kick out of making a program/game run a PC when I encounter a problem. I look at this as a plus for PC gaming in general.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mograine

See, PC gaming is too expensive if you intend to max out everything. Thanks for proving my point :P

nameless12345

Ehm.

I thought this was common knowledge? Or, more than common knowledge, one of the absolute laws of how the world works?

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Mograine

At least you do get backwards compatibility. Unlike consoles, where the only thing you can do is suck it up.

I don't follow, sorry. The Wii is 100% backwards compatible with GC, has a increasing library of older Nintendo and non-Nintendo games (many of which you can't play legaly on the PC), the 360 has limited Xbox support and the PS3 plays PS One games (and in rare cases PS2 games). So no, they don't just "suck it up".

Eggimannd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Eggimannd
Member since 2009 • 1734 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Mograine

Ehm.

I thought this was common knowledge? Or, more than common knowledge, one of the absolute laws of how the world works?

It's not "too expensive". You want the best graphics there is? You're gonna pay for it. Just because you can't afford it or have other needs doesn't make it "too expensive".

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]So what if it had the best tech? It took, like two generations? of graphics cards for it to become playlable on max setting in high-res with AA and AF on decent settings :PBackwards problems are also not limited to Doom 3.nameless12345

Those of us who have jobs find the cost of PC gaming quite manageable actually.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mograine

I don't follow, sorry. The Wii is 100% backwards compatible with GC, has a increasing library of older Nintendo and non-Nintendo games (many of which you can't play legaly on the PC), the 360 has limited Xbox support and the PS3 plays PS One games (and in rare cases PS2 games). So no, they don't just "suck it up".

nameless12345

You're talking about compatibility issues.

On consoles, you suck it up. There's nothing you can do.

On PC, emulators can aid you to get them working if they don't natively.

It's not hard.