The switch controller could end up as one of the worst designed controllers ever

• 77 results
iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@beavis: It could be, thats a very good guess. I dont see it being used for gameplay since would be out of finger reach.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Man, this thread is sad. The difference between social gamers who would be up for a pick-up-and-play game at the drop of a hat as opposed to 'Let me log into my account and see what we can do" gamer on full display here.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

New unidentified button discovered. Its not power or volume since those were discovered on the top left.

Probably just a sync button.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By iandizion713

@22Toothpicks: Or a screenshot, record or something. But yeah, could be a sync button. Its a pretty big one whatever it is. We know its not the home button as that ones under the right Joy-Con.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#55 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@Pedro: Yes buying more shyt is always the answer.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

yea its pretty bad. The defense of "well buy the gamepad" is utter bull.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@22Toothpicks said:
@iandizion713 said:

New unidentified button discovered. Its not power or volume since those were discovered on the top left.

Probably just a sync button.

never heard of shoulder buttons?

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#58 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Can't really tell from the pic how their digital direction inputs will function. As already mentioned, Sony, and many others, often use a separate 'button' design for their dpads which functions just fine (in fact, I think it is better than both the cross design and the floating circle design, but that's me). However, if you actually open up such a controller you find it still is fundamentally the same design as the others, a circular pressure input which has under it 4 input surfaces. You can prove this to yourself but just pressing one of the directions on a dual shock and noticing the opposite direction raises slightly in response, because they are actually connected They just hide this circle under the outer casing, having 4 raised portions acting as the 'buttons'. I can't tell from this picture how Nintendo has designed it, but looks to strongly imply an unconnected set of buttons as it can act as the face buttons which cannot be connected in this manner as you have to be able to press opposing positioned buttons at the same time, something a hidden circle would prevent. So, yeah, there is a definite concern there. Theoretically, all dpads are deep under the hood 4 separate inputs, but they heavily rely on that circular pad to press them appropriately. Not sure how one that doesn't have that circular design will function in practice.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Honestly the damage control in this thread is out of control. Seriously.

I think the point being made about the dpad is an obvious one. Using four small circular buttons instead of a real dpad just to shoehorn in yet another gimmick is a good point. It reminds me of bad third party control design or those crappy chinese lcd handhelds you used to get.

Using this for diagonals or fluid motion looks like a nightmare. The break up aspect turns them into controllers that look far too small.

Honestly, i was slightly impressed when i saw it first but Im seeing cracks everywhere.

Underpowered very likely, so once again this third party support dries up. Very reminiscent of the wii u.

Clumsy controller shoehorning in a gimmick, and an unecessary one for most gamers.

It has its plus points and at this stage it could be a success but then that will largely be coming from the mobile market in all likelyhood and Im not interested in that.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@beavis said:
@iandizion713 said:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

That's The Nintendo Switch SECRET SAUCE BUTTON.

When you press it, you get GRAPHICS KINGS.

I knew when I heard about the industry leader in GPU's (NVIDIA) developing Switch specs, that we'd be getting a legendary powerhouse.

I expect the Switch GPU will secretly be around 8 to 10 TFLOPS.

lol.."Turbo" button...but PC had it a long long long long time ago. :P

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@iandizion713 said:

You sure it's not just the release mechanism?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17673 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: the dpad is terrible. It's not even one. Yea, dualshock's is segmented but they almost touch and it's very easy to roll the edges of your thumb to hit two at once and make transitions. They also have a much lower profile. This is going to work terribly if at all as a dpad. Im just imagining doing a Shroyuken on this thing, it'd be impossible, while on the dualshock not preferable, but at least workable. Perhaps they could include a dpad cap that would snap over the buttons.

Not much that I care though, I'm buying the pro pad and bringing it along if I take this anywhere.

TC, great point about the buttons above the stick. Looks like there's potential for your lower thumb to push the stick left unintentionally. Wonder how this will work out.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts
@PSP107 said:

@uninspiredcup: Gamecube = most best traditional controller ever

Wii = most best motion controller ever

DS = most best touch controls ever ever

That is even a bigger joke.

No, actually he's right. Your taste is just terrible.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 iandizion713

@ten_pints said:
@iandizion713 said:

You sure it's not just the release mechanism?

The release mechanism is on the back. Only thing i can think of is that its a battery display. Someone told me its a solar panel to charge it which i thought was funny.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@Litchie: "Your taste is just terrible."

You two have bad taste.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#66 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i've hated almost every nes controller made. I loved the snes controller. But n64 sucked, the gamecube one also was poorly designed. I quit nintendo gaming after that but have used a wii controller and it was a bad one also. I'm not sure how nintendo is still around, everything they do pisses off regular people like myself.

To me this doesn't look like the worst controller they've ever made but it looks pretty bad, the analog stick looks cheap and small and that will make control less accurate. And the controller shape is fairly square which could be uncomfortable.

Slipguard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Slipguard
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

It's an IR blaster/camera like in the Wii. The portion of the screen that sticks up from the dock contains essentially the Wii/WiiU sensor bar. It's there so you can detach the joycon and an navigate touchscreen (or maybe even wii-compatible) menus.

I don't know if the joycons have gyro or if it's in the screen and controller attachment, but if they're in the joycons the system may be compatible with downloadable versions of wii games.

Also, it's hard to see, but on the rail of the joycon there's a little depression. In the announcement video some of the players tap it like a button. It's especially obvious in the mario-kart-road-trip scene where the guy on the right taps it and his kart goes in to a slide. I'm pretty sure it's a button of some kind, and there's one on the opposite side too. So in essence the joycon is a little snes controller with a thumbstick instead of a D-pad.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I'm sure it will end up fine like it always does.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

You just know they're going to release a whole shitload of different controller types and price them all for like 50 bucks minimum.

Bet there'll be a drum set controller like the gamecube.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

@phbz said:

The D pad is just like the PS4 d-pad.

No, it isn't.

That's 4 distinctly separate buttons that aren't connected to each other, like the A/B/X/Y for the Xbone. The PS4 D-pad is actually connected, the middle portion is just lowered and covered by the controller shell. If you tap in a direction on the PS4 D-pad, the other 3 parts of it move along with it. It isn't 4 separate buttons, because it's not designed to be used as half a controller for games like Mario Kart on multiplayer.

There does not appear to be an actual D-pad for the Switch. Just 4 face buttons, which makes for a poor D-pad for games like Mega Man, Castlevania, literally all fighting games, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

IT'S FER TEH BLAST PROCESSING! ^_^

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 iandizion713

@Cobra_nVidia: Lol, someone told me its for solar power.

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#73 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@iandizion713: Nooo it's blast processing be careful with that button if you're not ready!

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#74 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Nintendo have been pretty spot on when it comes to controllers.

Agree

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#75 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

For a moment I thought this was bashing it's ProController which looks better than the WiiU's Pro Controller which was already awesome.

besides. All of this is subject to change.

Remember when the WiiU had the CirclePads instead of Joysticks?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#76 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I'd have to try it for myself, but I see your point about the diagonal alignment.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's possible, but who cares. I'll be using the Pro controller at home, and I'll use the Switch controllers on the go, which I'm sure will be sufficient.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Worst of all time, seriously? You ever use a Atari 5200 controller cause that might be the worst, or the atari Jaguar controller. The switch, not even close.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#79 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

If the part that's meant to be a Dpad is like the one in the dualshock controllers, then I'm okay with it. Just because there are 4 separate segments doesn't mean it isn't a Dpad. I could see the buttons of the left Joycon rolling like a Dpad, which would still make it work as buttons in the other mode.

There's another factor here as well: Nintendo implied that this console would be highly modular with different accessories. There will likely be alternate Joycons you can buy if you don't like the ones it comes with.