The switch controller could end up as one of the worst designed controllers ever

• 77 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

So one of the things that I really dislike about the nintendo switch reveal is the controller. Im definitely no controller fetichist like some other people but this one looks just horrible and only because of gimmicks.

The two biggest things that I noticed right away are:

1. No Dpad

This one is obvious and quite schocking coming from a company has so many plattformers as their biggest IPs.

2. Joystick alignment

The joysticks are directly under or over the buttons. which could mean that you have to change your grip to have a comfortable postition with your hands to access them in quite succession. Every normal controller has a diagonal alignment for exacty that reason, even the WiiU gamepad.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

There is clearly a D-pad... what are you talking about? But yeah, I would for sure stick to the pro controller with this thing.

EDIT: but I really hate that the buttons have the same labels as xbox controllers but in different places. It really fucks me up in games since I am so used to xbox controllers on PC.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@MuD3 said:

There is clearly a D-pad... what are you talking about? But yeah, I would for sure stick to the pro controller with this thing.

If he means cross pad, then he's correct. Technically, the dual-shock doesn't have one either, as its d-pad buttons are broken up. The d-pad buttons on the left controller should work exactly the same as any other d-pad, but I'm sure it will feel odd at first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

It has a Dpad, it's a split Dpad. The joysticks are asymmetric, which is especially useful in controller mode.

You do realize the controller is modular and has at least three separate forms?

Plus hey, if this bothers you so much, get the Switch Pro controller.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5  Edited By Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69370 Posts

Good catch on the analog sticks. That can definitely be problematic. I can already feel the incoming "Buy the regular controller then" crowd storming in.

Edit: They already did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
@MuD3 said:

EDIT: but I really hate that the buttons have the same labels as xbox controllers but in different places. It really fucks me up in games since I am so used to xbox controllers on PC.

A d-pad is not just 4 buttons, you know that right? You cant design them like that.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

duh, it's Nintendo, they're obviously going to sell more configurations for the bargain price of $50 a piece, excuse me $49.99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
@Pedro said:

Good catch on the analog sticks. That can definitely be problematic. I can already feel the incoming "Buy the regular controller then" crowd storming in.

Yeah, but there really should not be a need to buy a pro controller.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@deeph:

Nintendo has been creating odd controllers since N64.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I'm not a fan of the "d-pad" either. How can I perform quarter circles on that thing? ;P As if I would play a fighting game on a handheld...but still.

The right hand analog stick does look like it's in a awkward spot when you imagine holding the device in a normal manner. Like you would have to tilt your hand slightly to make using it practical. It's not awful just a bit wonky and I can imagine some cramping going on.

Minor complaints when you consider the Pro controller.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Yeah I'll be gaming with the pro switch controller. But the split controllers are cool forvon the go when u forget the pro controller.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pedro  Online

@deeph said:
@Pedro said:

Yeah, but there really should not be a need to buy a pro controller.

I agree but as you have read from your fellow gamers paying more for the pro controller is minor. Incoming price creep. :)

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MuD3
@deeph said:
@MuD3 said:

A d-pad is not just 4 buttons, you know that right? You cant design them like that.

Sony does it that way... I'm not hard into fighters so I guess it just doesn't matter to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

It does look a little wonky. I'm not a fan of having to buy an additional controller just to have a good one, so I'll hope the Switch base model feels great.

We'll just have to see though. I wonder what this one is like with the wings on the back? I hope it comes with the base system.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#16 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@deeph said:
@MuD3 said:

Evidently Nintendo can.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@MuD3 said:

uh... nintendo has been using those button labels way before Xbox was a even a twinkle on Bill Gates left nut

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Also

Was this analog/D-pad configuration unconfortable because they were aligned?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Nah, one of the best. For anyone who just wanted to sit down with a friend or loved one and share the joy of playing a game with them, this makes that more accessible than ever. The way you people look at gaming is going to change radically in the next decade. VR will make the need for complexity and immediate control a top priority. For flat screen gaming, accessibility, portability, and socialness will be the lifeblood of relevance. The core and casual experience will take very different paths in the days to come. It's not like one will be better than the other, but they will evolve to become so much better.

Me? I'm a gamer. I know a good thing when I see it. Switch is going to be a huge hit. All the bases are covered and it doesn't pretend or masquerade as a master of one thing except immediacy. Generation 9 will put flat earth gamers in for for ringer.

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Beavis
Member since 2016 • 131 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

Nintendo Switch: About as comfortable as getting beat with a switch

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MuD3

@Thunderdrone said:
@MuD3 said:

uh... nintendo has been using those button labels way before Xbox was a even a twinkle on Bill Gates left nut

So what? The point was that I'm used to on the Xbox controller so it's bad when I switch to the Nintendo controller. If I was more used to the Nintendo Controller it would be the opposite. Who made it first has no bearing in this situation.

NeoNexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeoNexus
Member since 2016 • 1 Posts

Clearly Dpad. No more words.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Nintendo games are so good I'm willing to play them with my face. Just give me the games man.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Nah, one of the best. For anyone who just wanted to sit down with a friend or loved one and share the joy of playing a game with them, this makes that more accessible than ever. The way you people look at gaming is going to change radically in the next decade. VR will make the need for complexity and immediate control a top priority. For flat screen gaming, accessibility, portability, and socialness will be the lifeblood of relevance. The core and casual experience will take very different paths in the days to come. It's not like one will be better than the other, but they will evolve to become so much better.

Me? I'm a gamer. I know a good thing when I see it. Switch is going to be a huge hit. All the bases are covered and it doesn't pretend or masquerade as a master of one thing except immediacy. Generation 9 will put flat earth gamers in for for ringer.

First time I actually agree with you.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

If your hardcore gamer regular gamer or casual gamer

if your nintendo gamer xbox gamer sony gamer or pc gamer

LOOK AT THESE CONTROLLERS

THE END

I don't need to say anything else every gamer is going to pack the 2nd one every fucking one of them

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

The controller reminds me of Saturn 3D gamepad.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56045 Posts

@koko-goal said:

I don't remember anyone talking about this Sega Saturn controller, this is the first time I'm seeing this 0_0

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@davillain- said:
@koko-goal said:

I don't remember anyone talking about this Sega Saturn controller, this is the first time I'm seeing this 0_0

It's a great controller for the Sega Saturn's 3D games like Nights into Dreams and the Panzer Dragoon series.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts
@davillain- said:
@koko-goal said:

For real? It's pretty much the precursor to the Dreamcast controller.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Eh, I'm not going to judge it until I actually handle it for myself. I remember many people being concerned about the Wii U gamepad and it being to bulky, and I recall having that concern too. In the end though I actually found the Wii U gamepad comfortable to use, either as a controller or a handheld.

I'll definitely pick up a pro controller though either way.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

SWs and hyperbole are like PB and J.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

The D pad is just like the PS4 d-pad.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

The controller is once again the worst thing about the system, twice in a row Nintendo makes a horrible controller an INTEGRAL PART OF THE SYSTEM ITSELF. It's like they never learn.

At least this time we assume that games will be 100% compatible with the pro-controller, meaning we can cast aside the abomination of detachable controllers and never look at them again (or at least I would hope Nintendo is capable of at least doing this right - though my understanding was with the Wii-U you couldn't just "lose" the Tablet, so who knows. there might be some Nintendo illogic with this one too).

Unfortunately, the system itself is a tablet. That's the part we can't get away from. So at the end of the day, if you want to play Nintendo games at home using a decent controller you will have to buy a $50 controller to plug into a g**damned tablet.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 2Chalupas

@MuD3 said:

I don't know. While it's true that some controllers have had a little spacing on the "contact points" of their D-pads (dualshock), I think the spacing here is much greater. It really just looks like 4 separate buttons. Fundamentally I don't know if this is different, but at least the PS4 D-bad is spaced more tightly together and has a little indentation for ergonomics to make it a traditional D-pad. This is really just 4 separate buttons. I mean if all it takes to qualify as a D-bad takes is four buttons, then I guess all these other controllers have 2 D-pads.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

There's a reason why they advertised the pro controller...if you're not satisfied with the new tablet, don't use it since you're not forced to!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro  Online

@bowserjr123 said:

There's a reason why they advertised the pro controller...if you're not satisfied with the new tablet, don't use it since you're not forced to!

Then you are forced to purchase additional accessories.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

@Pedro: True, but we'll see if there's a bundle and plus, many people bought the pro controller for Wii U and the classic controller for Wii to give more options.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#40 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58860 Posts

Nintendo have been pretty spot on when it comes to controllers.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MuD3

@2Chalupas said:
@MuD3 said:

I don't know. While it's true that some controllers have had a little spacing on the "contact points" of their D-pads (dualshock), I think the spacing here is much greater. It really just looks like 4 separate buttons. Fundamentally I don't know if this is different, but at least the PS4 D-bad is spaced more tightly together and has a little indentation for ergonomics to make it a traditional D-pad. This is really just 4 separate buttons. I mean if all it takes to qualify as a D-bad takes is four buttons, then I guess all these other controllers have 2 D-pads.

I would guess they did it because the two sides of the controller are designed to be identical since they can be used as mini individual controllers.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSP107

@uninspiredcup: "Nintendo have been pretty spot on when it comes to controllers."

Is that a joke? =(

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 2Chalupas

@MuD3 said:
@2Chalupas said:
@MuD3 said:

I would guess they did it because the two sides of the controller are designed to be identical since they can be used as mini individual controllers.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

New unidentified button discovered. Its not power or volume since those were discovered on the top left.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I hated the wii u game pad because of the non asymmetrical sticks. This is a much needed improvement imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Name a decent list of games where you actually use the FULL function of a dpad for anything more than extra commands in 99% of games?

I'l wait.. with popcorn.

Oh... the less relevant fighting genre... anything else?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
@MBirdy88 said:

Name a decent list of games where you actually use the FULL function of a dpad for anything more than extra commands in 99% of games?

I'l wait.. with popcorn.

Oh... the less relevant fighting genre... anything else?

WTF, I love the switch controller now and hope every controller manufacturer drops the d-pad!!!

@Ghost120x said:

I hated the wii u game pad because of the non asymmetrical sticks. This is a much needed improvement imo.

Im not talking about symetrical and asymmetrical sticks placement but where they are placed compared to the d-pad/action buttons. Take a look at your thump and how you would have to move it between d-pad/action buttons and the analog stick.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58860 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@uninspiredcup: "Nintendo have been pretty spot on when it comes to controllers."

Is that a joke? =(

Gamecube = most best traditional controller ever

Wii = most best motion controller ever

DS = most best touch controls ever ever

Nintendo lead, disgusting whore Sony and Microsoft follow.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PSP107

@uninspiredcup: Gamecube = most best traditional controller ever

Wii = most best motion controller ever

DS = most best touch controls ever ever

That is even a bigger joke.

Beavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Beavis
Member since 2016 • 131 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

New unidentified button discovered. Its not power or volume since those were discovered on the top left.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!

That's The Nintendo Switch SECRET SAUCE BUTTON.

When you press it, you get GRAPHICS KINGS.

I knew when I heard about the industry leader in GPU's (NVIDIA) developing Switch specs, that we'd be getting a legendary powerhouse.

I expect the Switch GPU will secretly be around 8 to 10 TFLOPS.