The Switch 2 might not be backwards compatible with Switch 1 games? This could be a massive mistake for Nintendo.

• 60 results
Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

So there is concern from lots of websites saying that the Switch 2 might not be backwards compatible with Switch 1 games. This is likely because Switch 1 games have GPU drivers statically embedded into the the games themselves, so they can only work with the Nvidia Tegra X1 GPU (no flexibility here). The Switch 2 will obviously have a newer GPU, meaning that Switch 1 games will fail to work unless the games are re-compiled with the new GPU drivers. This would mean only a tiny fraction of the Switch library will be playable on Switch 2 since most developers won’t bother recompiling their games.

The only way the Switch 2 can play all Switch 1 games is if Nintendo or Nvidia create a translation layer to automatically convert the GPU drivers and shaders for the Switch 2 GPU to understand. But I don’t know if this is possible without the games being patched.

In either case, it is incredibly STUPID for Nintendo’s engineers to make GPU drivers statically embedded into the games themselves. Why the heck they did this when they knew it would make backwards compatibility difficult is beyond me.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nintendo-switch-2-may-lack-backwards-compatibility-this-could-be-a-major-problem

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/nintendo-switch-2-may-lack-backwards-compatibility-this-could-be-a-major-problem/ar-AA18k5CD

Your thoughts? Is this an epic, humiliating mistake, considering that backwards compatibility is the norm nowadays?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

Xbox does what Nintendont. :P

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@lavamelon:

Going into the Switch WE ALL should have known this by now. It's Nintendo's modus operandi. This is why I'm not in a rush for the Switch era to end. Let everything that was going to come out, release first and remember not to sell it. lol

This is a jab at game preservation above all and Nintendo has zero interest in it. So I hope you guys don't plan on getting rid of your Switches in the future!

Our best friend here will be Nintendo's online services. I'm betting that they plan on adding more games and consoles in the future too so we'll probably be streaming Switch games in future devices.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3413 Posts

Yeah, it's not unexpected but it's still disappointing. And considering the source I first saw talking about this I take it as almost a certainty.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

Nintendo already stated your digital games will carry over to the future system

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5253 Posts

I take rumors, speculations, and leaks on the Switch's alleged successor with a grain of salt until they are confirmed by an official source -- Nintendo.

Too many gamers are taking unconfirmed information as gospel. We should not be doing that.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1241 Posts

Their fans will rebuy games at $70 with no enhancements. It isn't Nintendo that is stupid...

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

It’s funny how their are concerns for a console no one knows nothing about 😂

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2480 Posts

I would be more shocked if they were. Have you seen the Wii U ports sales numbers? Nintendo is forever trying to find ways to charge again for games they already sold you.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15925 Posts

I doubt it especially if they continuing the Switch line. Rumors are Nvidia still supplying the chip to Nintendo so I can't see how this going to cause a compatibility issue.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mesome713

@ghostofgolden: As they should. They’re in business to make money, not be stupid and lose money.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lavamelon

@ghostofgolden: But the Wii U is a failed console, so of course they need to start fresh with a new console. Plus the Wii U had the ancient PowerPC CPU, so they had to switch to ARM CPUs, making backwards compatibility impossible anyways. Not much that could be done here.

The Switch is a completely different story from the Wii U. One is a failure, the other is a success. I won’t buy a Switch 2 if it has no backwards compatibility.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lavamelon

@mesome713: Do we have a source on Nintendo confirming digital games will carry over to the new system? I haven’t seen them confirm anything yet.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

@lavamelon: techhog must be raging right now. I told him Nintendo would go with amd for switch 2.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lavamelon

@blaznwiipspman1: If the AMD chip can emulate Switch 1 games while remaining at an affordable price (needs to be cheaper than Valve Steam Deck) then I’m all in for Nintendo going AMD.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@mesome713 said:

@ghostofgolden: As they should. They’re in business to make money, not be stupid and lose money.

And they have a rabid fanbase that’ll line up to pay $70 for literal cardboard or $25 to unlock fast travel in a “remaster”. I say Nintendo should drain its fans for as much as it can.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lavamelon

@Postosuchus: Nintendo’s fanbase are nowhere near as loyal as you think they are. If they were, the Wii U wouldn’t have failed so bad. Sure a few devoted fans would buy remastered games, but their numbers are small compared to mainstream players.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34618 Posts

It's not like I expected Switch 2 to be able to play Switch games. It's not a crime to not let Switch games run on Switch 2, and Nintendo gets more money that way.

Now, Nintendo could be nice towards their customers and have Switch 2 be BC, but I don't even remember the last time Nintendo were nice to their customers.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

Massive L for Nintendo(fans) if true.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mesome713

@Postosuchus: Bro, you sound like a clown. LABO flopped, deal with it.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mesome713

@lavamelon: This is only source we have. Its from Nintendo themselves.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lavamelon

@mesome713: That looks like it’s saying your Nintendo account will transfer onto Switch 2. Not sure if it’s saying your games will be carried over

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lavamelon

@Litchie: Nintendo will lose some of their customers if the Switch 2 cannot play Switch 1 games (I am one of those customers that Nintendo will lose). Not everybody wants to re-purchase the same games, apart from a few loyal fans.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17427 Posts

If they made it BC, how would they resell you games that you already own?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mesome713

@lavamelon: Why would you repurchase the games again? You already have the game and a Switch. Making a new console read old games cost more money. And the percentage that play old game is small. Also, Nintendos next console better be digital only or they lose more customers.

Gamers want cheap digital consoles. Gamers want digital games. Physical games is stupid. Who would buy a physical copy of a movie or music cd?

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Postosuchus

@mesome713 said:

@Postosuchus: Bro, you sound like a clown. LABO flopped, deal with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Labo#Sales

Labo sold over a million. For cardboard that Nintendo charged $70 for. I’m sure Nintendo is verrrry unhappy with the profits they made off this abomination.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34618 Posts

@lavamelon said:

@Litchie: Nintendo will lose some of their customers if the Switch 2 cannot play Switch 1 games (I am one of those customers that Nintendo will lose). Not everybody wants to re-purchase the same games, apart from a few loyal fans.

Sure. But they will gain much more money by people double dipping than they will lose from people like you. Nintendo doesn't care about you or your games, they're a company trying to get as much money as possible. We could've had a Nintendo account decades ago that saves all your purchases, no problem. Like Steam. But Nintendo noticed that making people buy the same shit several times nets them more money.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lavamelon

@mesome713: I don’t care about physical vs digital games, I care about backwards compatibility. Most of my Switch games are digital anyways.

If Switch 2 cannot play Switch 1 games I won’t buy it. Backwards compatibility is the norm nowadays. Just ask PC gamers about how happy they are with playing older games. They absolutely love it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

Not like Microsoft didn't just take a backseat on BC just recently.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mesome713

@Postosuchus: Bro it wasnt even $70 and was heavily discounted. Clown harder please.

@lavamelon: Tons of old PC games no longer work. And are no longer supported with updates to make them work. Plus PC isnt innovative like Nintendo is, they just copy Nintendo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

In a time when with an XSX you can play your games going all the way back to the first, 2001 OG Xbox.

For the next N machine to come out without at the very least BC to their last machine would be truly disgusting for their fanbase to just say oh well, I'll buy it anyway. :(

Rather they should be making it known right now in no uncertain terms that would be absolutely unacceptable. :P

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11613 Posts

Meh, re-selling you games at full price is the Nintendo way.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44209 Posts

Yeah it’s very much a real possibility that Nintendo’s next system won’t be backwards compatible with the Switch. I’m prepared for that to happen but I sure as hell hope that it won’t be the case. I think it would be a very big mistake for Nintendo to not have it backwards compatible though. If Nintendo think that they could resell all these current Switch games again then I feel that they are in for a rude awakening. The reason all these Wii U ports are selling so well is because hardly anyone had a Wii U so all these Switch owners have the chance to play legitimately great games that were on a failed platform. That won’t be the case going from the Switch to their next system though.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Postosuchus

@mesome713: Is that your excuse for going out and paying Nintendo for the privilege of owning a cardboard box? And I noticed you avoided mentioning the extra $25 for fast-travel in a remaster; too hard to justify that one? You Nintendo fans are big bloated udders ripe for the milking and I’ll enjoy seeing what new ridiculous schemes they come up with that you fans will rush out to purchase and run damage control for.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mesome713

@Postosuchus: Bro you’re really hating on DLC that can be resold?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38874 Posts

Excellent. They will be re-releasing literally everything for the Switch 2 in native 1080p, and call it new games. This will be your yearly library for the year to come. Please be excited. Lots of damage controlling will be happening from our local sheep, all saying bs such as "oh its so cooool that they're re-releasing X game. I never had the opportunity of buying it when it was first released on the Switch, so i am very glad that its coming out on the Switch 2". Laughable shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

It will be AMD, duh. You honestly think we the consumers are the only idiots being ripped off by NVIDIA? AMD's new upcoming APU's are vastly more powerful anyway, Nintendo would be dumb not to move sides.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7172 Posts

@mesome713 said:

wow you downed sony for being evil just for this. yet nin is ok to do it?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#40 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19553 Posts

They could go the backwards emulation route. But the Switch 2 would need to be sufficiently more powerful than the first Switch to make emulation viable.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

I really hope this isn't true.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts

No need to get worked up over rumours: Relax. Nintendo haven't done anything stupid.....yet. If MS can get OG xbox games to run on the 360, X1 and XS then ninendo certainly can get Switch games to run on whatever it is they are working next. Whether they would put the effort in or not: That another matter.

We don't even know what nintendos plans are with their next system. It could be anything.

It could just be a switch phone with switch specs.Or a slighlty more powerful switch but with a more modern take of the screen in the 3DS.

It could be a console that directly competes with the PS5/XSX.

It could be a technical showcase of fully pathtraced games using a GPU optimised only to run the likes of Quake 2 RTX/Portal RTX and render any direct comparisons to the PS5 and XSX moot. Think of all the RTX remakes! We had Ocarina 3D....now Ocarina RT. Mario Galaxy 2 RT edition. Ray traced Kirby!

Or the Nintendo Quest basically (highly unlikely mind).

They may not even use Nvidia. It could be AMD. Or they may just work with ARM alone on an ARM/Mali based SOC. Or get a GPU from that new Chinese GPU company (that would be a hoot). Hell an Ecore/Arc based intel system could be on the cards for all we know.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#43 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3640 Posts

I have a few digital games so hope this isn't true.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Xbox could help out Nintendo here with X-Cloud and BC technology. If the game wont work then use streaming, otherwise MS engineers can do magic with these issues.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@lavamelon:

Going into the Switch WE ALL should have known this by now. It's Nintendo's modus operandi. This is why I'm not in a rush for the Switch era to end. Let everything that was going to come out, release first and remember not to sell it. lol

This is a jab at game preservation above all and Nintendo has zero interest in it. So I hope you guys don't plan on getting rid of your Switches in the future!

Our best friend here will be Nintendo's online services. I'm betting that they plan on adding more games and consoles in the future too so we'll probably be streaming Switch games in future devices.

The DS plays GBA games. The 3DS plays DS games. The Wii plays Gamecube games. The Wii U plays Wii games. Really, the Switch is the first console they've put out since the Gamecube that isn't backwards compatible. I'd hardly say it's their modus operandi when they have been a whole lot better at backwards compatibility than their competition has.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lavamelon

@PurpleMan5000: I agree with you. The only reason why the Switch is not backwards compatible with Wii U is due to technical differences. Wii U has IBM PowerPC CPU instead of ARM, and uses a controller with a built in screen. The only way the Switch could be backwards compatible with Wii U is if the Switch itself was just an overclocked Wii U.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1042 Posts

This is nothing more than a theory being discussed because Wii U games couldn’t be played on the Switch and because one YTer thinks it’s a possibility due to NVIDIA technology, that’s it.

At this time we have no clue about the internals of the next Switch to confidently say any of this, it’s all “well, Nintendo could be Nintendo and screw people over to try to get them to re-buy games like Mario Kart 8.” I mean I get it but that means Nintendo would piss all their good will away. My guess, the Switch will be backwards compatible, they won’t screw gamers over, and all of the panic going on over this will be for nothing.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3413 Posts

@nnoyinghusband: *That one YouTuber is a game developer that is familiar with working with the Switch. It's not like it's DreamcastGuy or ReviewTechUsa.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38874 Posts

I really want Techhog89 opinion on this, but we lost him to 4chan.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56130 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

I really want Techhog89 opinion on this, but we lost him to 4chan.

Is that where he is now? I was wondering what happened to him.

Edit: OT. Here's my thoughts on this: