Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46364 Posts

Mobile games try to lure you back with daily rewards:

"Log in every day to claim your rewards"

Or they start sending you push notifications so you would come back and play your "favourite game".

Instead of, oh I don't know, ... Having enticing gameplay ? Having actual game related reasons for you to come back ?

There are a lot of decent to good mobile games, but a lot of them I see just apply dirty tricks to beg for people's attention. While lacking at such a fundamental level.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k

@joebones5000 said:

Makes sense when the business model revolves around showing you ads every time you play or in app purchases. Can't blame them really.

There seems to be this situation created on mobile where:

If you ask for money for your game, people will complain because they expect games on mobile to be free.

Yet if games turn out to be F2P they always apply dirty tricks to get people to play or to pay money.

Still, not having good gameplay that entices people to continue playing your game is inexcusable.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

My problems with mobile games is the whole prepaid concept. The game is "free" but riddled with ads and micro transactions that make it impossible to enjoy the game without putting money into it constantly.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Most of them are just boring. Space Marshals is the only decent mobile game I played and I guess nova 3 was fun enough.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

@killered3 said:

@R4gn4r0k:

My problems with mobile games is the whole prepaid concept. The game is "free" but riddled with ads and micro transactions that make it impossible to enjoy the game without putting money into it constantly.

Yeah and when some options in F2P games cost 99 bucks or even more, at that point I tend to just ignore F2P games and rather buy a 60 dollar, full price, title

If a Free 2 Play game can not be fun without spending any money, there is no reason to play one.

@nathanbats said:

Most of them are just boring. Space Marshals is the only decent mobile game I played and I guess nova 3 was fun enough.

There are quite a few good mobile games, of couse they are nowhere near console or PC level quality but they still offer entertainment:

• Monument Valley
  • Hitman GO

I also need to try out Machinarium and Grim Fandango, I think point & click games will play wonderfully on a touch screen device.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59030 Posts

With abit of tweaking a mobile or tablet can go from a shit free2play scam machine to gaming utopia. Ipega controller + sdcard and you're on your way.

nygamespotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 nygamespotter
Member since 2016 • 523 Posts

You can disable notifications in every single game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup said:

With abit of tweaking a mobile or tablet can go from a shit free2play scam machine to gaming utopia. Ipega controller + sdcard and you're on your way.

Which games do you like playing on mobile ?

@nygamespotter said:

You can disable notifications in every single game.

Sure, but it's more about the fact there are many F2P games that are applying tricks instead of providing meaningful gameplay to entice players to their games. Not so much about individual solutions for games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59030 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Which games do you like playing on mobile ?

122gb of f2ps

Those clicker games, hoo wee.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Old friend of mine: "Hey you're a big gamer right? You ever try clash of clans??"

Me: "Sorry, we're no longer friends."

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k

@appariti0n said:

Old friend of mine: "Hey you're a big gamer right? You ever try clash of clans??"

Me: "Sorry, we're no longer friends."

I played Age of Empires: Castle Siege for quite a long time.

Until I realised just how bad it is compared to PC games or Console games.

And these games just make you wait and wait and wait... just so you'd be more willing to pay up.

Because in the end: getting people to pay up > providing a meaningful gameplay experience.

And that's a shame.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

I don't think I've had a mobile game grab my attention for longer than a few days

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@metalslimenite said:

I would have gladly bought Super Mario Run if it didn't require a constant net connection to play it.

Playing Super Mario Run has me thinking: why am I not playing better mario games ? Where I'm in complete control :/

@drlostrib said:

I don't think I've had a mobile game grab my attention for longer than a few days

Yeah I was having a lot of fun with Pac Man 356 and Hitman GO, but I kinda stopped playing those games after a few days...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@metalslimenite said:

The game is solid for what it is: a simple platformer to play on the go that does a good job of utilizing the simple touch controls. Requiring a constant internet connection is counter-intuitive to this play style. As someone who uses the go phone plan, I'm not paying $s to play every time I'm away from home.

I agree though, Mario is one of the better Mobile games (only played the free trial though)

and yeah for a game on the go, it should not require an always online connection...

But maybe the game does that connection to see if you actually own the full version or no ?

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#18 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2954 Posts

Tales of Link has that "Login for your bonus" stuff, it never really bothered me.

A surprisingly good game on mobile is Max Payne if you have a controller. The game maps shoot to the start button on my iPega controller but it was still fun as hell. It basically is just a port of the first game. I hope they eventually do the second but it doesn't seem likely since it has been years since they did the first.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Tetris is the only mobile game that matters.

Though I did have fun playing X Construction a few years back.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

The term that you mentioned is actually called The Skinner Box:

Loading Video...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@PsychoLemons said:

The term that you mentioned is actually called The Skinner Box:

Yeah South Park had a pretty cool episode about that.

It was when the candian devil made a mobile game that overrun south park.

@Sam3231 said:

Tales of Link has that "Login for your bonus" stuff, it never really bothered me.

A surprisingly good game on mobile is Max Payne if you have a controller. The game maps shoot to the start button on my iPega controller but it was still fun as hell. It basically is just a port of the first game. I hope they eventually do the second but it doesn't seem likely since it has been years since they did the first.

Yeah I did notice quite a few PC/Console ports like for example KOTOR. And of course very famous: GTA

But I do wonder how they would play on touch screen controls. GTA plays like ass.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@joebones5000 said:

Makes sense when the business model revolves around showing you ads every time you play or in app purchases. Can't blame them really.

There seems to be this situation created on mobile where:

If you ask for money for your game, people will complain because they expect games on mobile to be free.

Yet if games turn out to be F2P they always apply dirty tricks to get people to play or to pay money.

Still, not having good gameplay that entices people to continue playing your game is inexcusable.

I see it as hypocrisy on gamers' part. If you choose a F2P game over a game that requires a purchase, then you should expect to see some micro-transactions floating around. Gamers always call F2P game developers "greedy" for asking for money, they seem to forget that game developers are a business, not a charity. Those gamers would do the exact same thing if they were in charge of the company. I guess its the old "its only evil if the other person does it" situation.

Here's the harsh truth: If you do not give a game developer any money, then they have no legal or moral obligation to serve you. No money = no obligations.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Yeahcmy two big issues with mobile gaming is the pay to win crap and the lack of controller of course. This is why i love the nintendo switch but i wish i could play mobile games on my switch as well. If only they could come together in a deal somehow with google play.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Only have Rayark's games + Shadowverse on my phone.

I rarely play SV now, not that I played much in first place, but at least it's less RNG bullsh*t than HS.

Rayark's music games are legit though, just needs to be on bigger devices.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I was going going to say people walk into you while playing.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Yep you have the free games riddled with pay to win stuff which takes the fun out of it.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I hate it when those mobile games are trying to be personal with me. "Hey come back we miss you!" Insta delete.

Some of them are good, however they have a price tag on them.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

1. Free to play is an amazing financial success on mobile. And a lot of these problems are inherent to free to play models that companies (have to?) use to earn money. Except for Nintendo with their 'free to start'.

2. No standards. It's a shitty platform for gaming to begin with, so standards were always going to be relatively low. But with the free to play boom any concept of standards went straight out the door (of course there is a very select group of do-gooder companies that try hard to make actual good games). The audience of mobile games don't care. They don't care about the state of gaming. So they're not going to raise hell because of bad business practices. They got 'important' things to do. Thus they can get away with it.

. Basically what we see on phones is a slightly exaggerated form of what all gaming would be like if nerds like us didn't bitch and complain about everything. And that will be an ongoing fight.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@lavamelon said:

I see it as hypocrisy on gamers' part. If you choose a F2P game over a game that requires a purchase, then you should expect to see some micro-transactions floating around. Gamers always call F2P game developers "greedy" for asking for money, they seem to forget that game developers are a business, not a charity. Those gamers would do the exact same thing if they were in charge of the company. I guess its the old "its only evil if the other person does it" situation.

Here's the harsh truth: If you do not give a game developer any money, then they have no legal or moral obligation to serve you. No money = no obligations.

I am quite happy to pay for a game, just don't make me pay for a game or play a game where all my actions are basically meaningless. Because you want me to pay even more...

@vaidream45 said:

Yeahcmy two big issues with mobile gaming is the pay to win crap and the lack of controller of course. This is why i love the nintendo switch but i wish i could play mobile games on my switch as well. If only they could come together in a deal somehow with google play.

Good point, Nintendo and Switch gamers would benefit a lot from mobile ports, where all the shit is taken out of the game and instead of touchscreen we can game with the joycons/ controllers.

@KungfuKitten said:

1. Free to play is an amazing financial success on mobile. And a lot of these problems are inherent to free to play models that companies (have to?) use to earn money. Except for Nintendo with their 'free to start'.

It's a financial succes because:

99% don't spend a dime on a F2P game

0,9% spend some money on a F2P game

0,1% are the ones getting milked, spending over 100 (sometimes up to a 1.000) in a F2P game

Melisajones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Melisajones
Member since 2017 • 29 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I wanna recommend you to play Until Dawn - PS4 also Game of Thrones - PS4 both sounds me so good, because it would be the free PlayStation & Until Dawn is a PlayStation exclusive survival horror adventure where eight friends are trapped together on a remote mountain retreat, and they aren’t alone you can play as each of the eight characters and experience fear like never before & exclusive survival horror adventure.

Hope you will enjoy with it alot!!

Johnny-n-Roger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33  Edited By Johnny-n-Roger
Member since 2003 • 15151 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

Or they start sending you push notifications so you would come back and play your "favourite game".

Instead of, oh I don't know, ... Having enticing gameplay ? Having actual game related reasons for you to come back ?

There are a lot of decent to good mobile games, but a lot of them I see just apply dirty tricks to beg for people's attention. While lacking at such a fundamental level.

That is hardly the definitive "problem". This implies that if they simply did away with these rewards that the games would be better. Not true. Why most mobile games suck in terms of gameplay is that they're nothing but a tedious grind where time is a literal resource. They're like MMOs without the gameplay.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k

@Johnny-n-Roger said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

That is hardly the definitive "problem". This implies that if they simply did away with these rewards that the games would be better. Not true. Why most mobile games suck in terms of gameplay is that they're nothing but a tedious grind where time is a literal resource. They're like MMOs without the gameplay.

I literally explained just that in my (year old) post:

Instead of having solid gameplay they use all kinds of psychological tricks to get you back, like sending you notifications, or giving you rewards to log in.

Nuh-uh.. the reward should be a fun game, not some useless junk.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52436 Posts

I watched an ad to get some coins in Lara Croft Run. Ended up playing that a lot, but didn't buy anything.

Mobile gaming still sucks tho

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56150 Posts

I hate Mobile games!

@R4gn4r0k said:

Except this thread hasn't been a year old, it's 7 months old lol.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1866 Posts

LMAO! Y'all really hate mobile games. I love how y'all complain about mobile games with transactions, when some of y'all are buying loot boxes, skins, and DLC in your games tacked onto the $60 purchase.

For me, mobile games and free games on the laptop aren't bad. The ones that suck are the ones that try to bring a console/PC game on the phone. Those controls suck and you would have to buy an attachment for it to be playable. Just make games DESIGNED for phones and call it a day.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaVillain  Moderator

@luxuryheart said:

LMAO! Y'all really hate mobile games. I love how y'all complain about mobile games with transactions, when some of y'all are buying loot boxes, skins, and DLC in your games tacked onto the $60 purchase.

For me, mobile games and free games on the laptop aren't bad. The ones that suck are the ones that try to bring a console/PC game on the phone. Those controls suck and you would have to buy an attachment for it to be playable. Just make games DESIGNED for phones and call it a day.

Except I don't mess with loot boxes at all. DLC is another story but it really depends on the game's DLC the developers is offering. I have purchase well made DLC in the past such as Mass Effect 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn and the best of all, Witcher 3 Expansion packs.

As for as Mobile game goes, I just hate Mobile games and I'm leaving it like that.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44228 Posts

Old thread.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I enjoy the Sega classics on mobile.... Phantasy Star 2 on my phone is all I really need.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1866 Posts

@davillain- said:
@luxuryheart said:

LMAO! Y'all really hate mobile games. I love how y'all complain about mobile games with transactions, whensome of y'allare buying loot boxes, skins, and DLC in your games tacked onto the $60 purchase.

Except I don't mess with loot boxes at all. DLC is another story but it really depends on the game's DLC the developers is offering. I have purchase well made DLC in the past such as Mass Effect 2, Horizon: Zero Dawn and the best of all, Witcher 3 Expansion packs.

As for as Mobile game goes, I just hate Mobile games and I'm leaving it like that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@luxuryheart:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k

@davillain- said:

I hate Mobile games!

@R4gn4r0k said:

Except this thread hasn't been a year old, it's 7 months old lol.

Huh, long enough to make me forget I even made this thread xD

LMAO !

I thought he just replied to one of my posts, but then it turns out I'm TC.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:

I watched an ad to get some coins in Lara Croft Run. Ended up playing that a lot, but didn't buy anything.

Mobile gaming still sucks tho

Lara Croft Go is nice though, right ?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I've yet to find a decent to good mobile game, outside of remakes of old school games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52436 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: For a runner game

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#47 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@R4gn4r0k:

Yup. THAT is what replaced portable gaming. Feels like a huge step down.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9405 Posts

Yeah 99% of mobile games are just shit.

Which I guess sucks because there are some good ones out there, but it's almost too much work to sift through the shit to find them.

I need Slay the Spire on mobile so I can play it while laying in bed on a tablet. Card games and deck builders work well on mobile.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:

@R4gn4r0k: For a runner game

I don't like runner games :P

Well I might try meatboy.

But I was asking if you liked Lara Croft Go, haha :D

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@R4gn4r0k:

Yup. THAT is what replaced portable gaming. Feels like a huge step down.

Yeah, I have to shrug when I hear that :(

People growing up on a gameboy with Mario, Tetris and pokemon seems like long gone times.

Now people are growing up on smartphones playing ...

@pyro1245 said:

Yeah 99% of mobile games are just shit.

Which I guess sucks because there are some good ones out there, but it's almost too much work to sift through the shit to find them.

I need Slay the Spire on mobile so I can play it while laying in bed on a tablet. Card games and deck builders work well on mobile.

Words of truth.

But the reason many mobile games are shit is because their gameplay is shit.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

That is definitely a big part of why I don't touch mobile games. But even the good ones, I'm not interested in playing games on my small phone. I try to keep phone usage to a minimum, unless its an important call or on my break I surf the net a little.

I play so many games at home that when I am outside of my crib, I dont want to play games and especially not on a device used primarily as a phone, its not a dedicated gaming device. If I decide I want to game on the go more, ill get a Switch or bring my DSXL