The Official Titanfall thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@always_explicit said:

I am absolutely loving how much cows hate this game. I love hows its because of COWS that this sticky is necessary. Cows are talking about this game more than lems. Game drought leading to destructive behavior. HAH

lol ya. I'm personally enjoying all the cow butthurt and damage control. This might easily be the the game of the generation that caused the most cow butthurt. Cow's just can't stop talking about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Man, every time I play this game it gets better.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Hahahaha, another sticky, brilliant, thanks Cows. Why not create infamous threads instead? that game looks good enough to hype.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rage010101

@R4gn4r0k said:

@always_explicit said:

I am absolutely loving how much cows hate this game. I love hows its because of COWS that this sticky is necessary. Cows are talking about this game more than lems. Game drought leading to destructive behavior. HAH

lems and hermits are too busy playing the game lol

cows have to wait for infamous so to pass time they create all these threads talking about Titanfall.

Ya I've been playing it alot. I'm on the verge of regenerating again and becoming 3rd generation pilot. I'm loving the pc version not only because it is the best version, but also because in between matches during matchmaking/loading, I tend to alt tab and watch the cow butthurt unfold before me while I play this beast awesome fun game at the same time. It's glorious!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Stickies are much like jail cells, in that they keep the worst offenders segmented away from the rest of the community.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Rage010101

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Just, have some questions about the game incase I ever buy a xboxone and Titanfall down the road.

How many modes are there?

is there a deathmatch mode (one on one)

how many weapons and are they fun to use?

how many maps and are they all fun to play?

whats the best part of Titanfall?

There are 6 modes, and a 7th mode called "Variety pack which just randomly throws one of the 6 modes at you between games".

No, there is no one on one.

I believe as a pilot there are about 10 primary guns, 3 secondary guns, 4 anti titan weapons , and 4 ordinance weapons (grenades/mines/etc) for a total of 21 weapons you can use as pilot.

As a Titan you have 6 Primary guns, and 4 ordinance weapons (targeting system/rockets/etc). Although the titan has alot of gadgets as well like equipping your titan with a nuclear explosion, force fields, heavy fist that literally make titans move many yards back when you melee them. In other words, you can customize your titan heavily.

All in all, all these things allow for alot of customization. Each weapon has upgrades and yes, they are very fun to use.

You didn't ask this question but I feel you need to be told about it. There are 3 Titans. The Atlas, which is a balanced titan, decent armor, decently fast, can dish out alot of damage when your core abilty charges (each titan has an ability). The stryder which is the fastest titan, excels in speed, but has the least amount of armor. The Stryder's core ability allows it to dash unlimited amount of times while the core ability is active, which makes the Stryder extremely hard to hit as it's literally dancing around an enemy titan. The last one is the Ogre. The ogre is basically the biggest titan which excels in armor. Thing is built like a rock. It's disadvantage though is mobility. It is very slow and only has one dash bar. The Ogre's core ability is that it gains a crazy amount of armor on top of its already existing heavy armor. It basically can sustain alot of damage.

There are alot of maps, I believe 12-15, I lost count. Each map feels different and I can't express enough how very well designed the maps are. I'm not kidding when I say that Titanfall's maps are some of the best I've seen in gaming history. Just to give you some history, I used to play alot of Counter Strike, Quake, Tribes, BF2, Unreal Tournament, 2142, Natural Selection 1 and 2, etc. Titanfall maps are designed for vertical warfare and Titan warfare. They take both pilots and titans into account. Very well made. Only someone who has played it would know what I mean. Think of it as a map on top of another map. They become different battlefields based on whether you're a pilot or titan. They are extremely fun to play.

The best part of Titanfall for me are easily the Titans. So much fun piloting a Titan. The second most fun thing is parkour'ing all over the place as a pilot. You need to play this game asap!

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Just, have some questions about the game incase I ever buy a xboxone and Titanfall down the road.

There are 6 modes, and a 7th mode called "Variety pack which just randomly throws one of the 6 modes at you between games".

I believe as a pilot there are about 12 primary guns, 3 secondary guns, 4 anti titan weapons , and 4 ordinance weapons (grenades/mines/etc) for a total of 23 weapons you can use as pilot.

As a Titan you have 6 Primary guns, and 4 ordinance weapons (targeting system/rockets/etc). Although the titan has alot of gadgets as well like equipping your titan with a nuclear explosion, force fields, heavy fist that literally make titans move many yards back when you melee them. In other words, you can customize your titan heavily.

All in all, all these things allow for alot of customization. Each weapon has upgrades and yes, they are very fun to use.

You didn't ask this question but I feel you need to be told about it. There are 3 Titans. The Atlas, which is a balanced titan, decent armor, decently fast, can dish out alot of damage when your core abilty charges (each titan has an ability). The stryder which is the fastest titan, excels in speed, but has the least amount of armor. The Stryder's core ability allows it to dash unlimited amount of times while the core ability is active, which makes the Stryder extremely hard to hit as it's literally dancing around an enemy titan. The last one is the Ogre. The ogre is basically the biggest titan which excels in armor. Thing is built like a rock. It's disadvantage though is mobility. It is very slow and only has one dash bar. The Ogre's core ability is that it gains a crazy amount of armor on top of its already existing heavy armor. It basically can sustain alot of damage.

There are alot of maps, I believe 12-15, I lost count. Each map feels different and I can't express enough how very well designed the maps are. I'm not kidding when I say that Titanfall's maps are some of the best I've seen in gaming history. Just to give you some history, I used to play alot of Counter Strike, Quake, Tribes, BF2, Unreal Tournament, 2142, Natural Selection 1 and 2, etc. Titanfall maps are designed for vertical warfare and Titan warfare. They take both pilots and titans into account. Very well made. Only someone who has played it would know what I mean. Think of it as a map on top of another map. They become different battlefields based on whether you're a pilot or titan. They are extremely fun to play.

The best part of Titanfall for me are easily the Titans. So much fun piloting a Titan. The second most fun thing is parkour'ing all over the place as a pilot. You need to play this game asap!

Nice to see a user commenting in a way that benefits the other users or isn't attacking someone. You get 1 internets my good sir.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

So now that it looks like we can actually have an honest discussion about Titanfall I will share my thoughts. Let's get the negative out of the way first. The game does not run optimally on XBox One. The graphics are nothing special on PC or XBox One. There is not nearly as many unlocks or custom loads outs as there are on most shooters. And why the he'll did they even include an online campaign? You could finish both sides of the "story" in 2 hours. Now the positive. Play the game for an hour and then try to play COD or Battlefield again. "Fun factor" will never be the same again. Titanfall is the most fun I have had In a shooter since Unreal Tournament. You will be saying "1 more match" for hours. The Pilot movement and Mech experience is something that has to be experienced to understand. Titanfall may lack story telling and technical polish, but it brings fun back into gaming. My score. 8 out of 10.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Rage010101

@WadeFan said:

@Rage010101 said:

@Mkavanaugh77 said:

I believe as a pilot there are about 12 primary guns, 3 secondary guns, 4 anti titan weapons , and 4 ordinance weapons (grenades/mines/etc) for a total of 23 weapons you can use as pilot.

Nice to see a user commenting in a way that benefits the other users or isn't attacking someone. You get 1 internets my good sir.

It's only a matter of time before I put on my asshole mask back on as soon as a cow comes in crying about Titanfall though. I feel I need to apologize in advance. lol

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Played for about 3 hour tonight. Gets better every time.

@Rage010101: lol I'm right there with you about the asshole mask

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Rage010101

@GoldenElementXL said:

So now that it looks like we can actually have an honest discussion about Titanfall I will share my thoughts. Let's get the negative out of the way first. The game does not run optimally on XBox One. The graphics are nothing special on PC or XBox One. There is not nearly as many unlocks or custom loads outs as there are on most shooters. And why the he'll did they even include an online campaign? You could finish both sides of the "story" in 2 hours. Now the positive. Play the game for an hour and then try to play COD or Battlefield again. "Fun factor" will never be the same again. Titanfall is the most fun I have had In a shooter since Unreal Tournament. You will be saying "1 more match" for hours. The Pilot movement and Mech experience is something that has to be experienced to understand. Titanfall may lack story telling and technical polish, but it brings fun back into gaming. My score. 8 out of 10.

The game is no pc version of Last Light and Crysis 3, but I think it's still a pretty game. Its textures are nothing to rave about, but what makes it pretty to me is the design of the maps, titans, pilots, bots, wildlife, plant life, structures, etc. All help give this unique beautiful worn torn atmosphere that is Titanfall

I get this feeling that more unlocks and maps will be added in the season pass (which I definitely intend to buy. Yes Titanfall has me by the balls. I'm not ashamed to admit it.)

The campaign was nothing special, but I enjoyed the scripted intros before you start a level. Watching some crazy space battle in space, watching dragons wreak havoc on a map that would make skyrim jelly, and storming this area where when you land has turrets and gun fire blazing towards you which reminded me of a smaller scale Normany Invasion straight out of WW2 (for a few seconds at least). It had its small moments I think, but it's all about classic multiplayer for me.

I have to agree with you on the fun factor. All other fps games seem very stale in comparison now. On that alone, I think one can say it is revolutionary. Its brought back that x factor, that fun factor back to the genre. Almost all other fps games now seem very slow and boring compared to Titanfall. Those that I still find enjoyable are not even on the same spectrum of fun. Although, I can still play and enjoy the hell out of something like Natural Selection 2, but it feels like the genre has changed and has a new contender. I too havn't had this much fun in an FPS for what seems like a decade. I too have fallen victim of repeatedly saying "just 1 more round and I'm get off", only to stay on for another 2 hours and play 10 more.

Yes, whether you're playing as a pilot or titan, the experience is truly exhilarating! Honestly it's all about the fun factor and multiplayer experience with me. I havn't had this much fun playing with a clan and group of friends in years. On that alone, game gets a 10 out of 10 from me. I could care less at the lack of story, the game hits hard in the category that matters to me, multiplayer.

10/10

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Game is so fun. Best part about the game to me is so far is everything seems balanced, I'm confident no matter what my loadout is.

Well, almost....

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Spartan070

@Rage010101 said:

There are alot of maps, I believe 12-15, I lost count. Each map feels different and I can't express enough how very well designed the maps are. I'm not kidding when I say that Titanfall's maps are some of the best I've seen in gaming history. Just to give you some history, I used to play alot of Counter Strike, Quake, Tribes, BF2, Unreal Tournament, 2142, Natural Selection 1 and 2, etc. Titanfall maps are designed for vertical warfare and Titan warfare. They take both pilots and titans into account. Very well made. Only someone who has played it would know what I mean. Think of it as a map on top of another map. They become different battlefields based on whether you're a pilot or titan.

There is so much truth in this paragraph.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#66 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

So far I'd give it like an 8.5. The gameplay is awesome, I just wish it were a little less barebones.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Spartan070

@PhazonBlazer said:

So far I'd give it like an 8.5. The gameplay is awesome, I just wish it were a little less barebones.

Reminds me of a much more flushed out Killer Instinct, what's there is amazing but it leaves you longing for DLC and a Seasons pass.

Much more complete and filled than Killer Instinct was when it launched though.

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

I hate to get factional, but as a PC/PS4 owner who's been playing the sh*t out of this, I'd be a little salty if I was stuck with a PS4 only. It's a brilliant game that no PC/Xbone user should pass on.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#69  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

game is fantastic, put in 30 hours so far and have had a blast.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 sailor232

Why does an article on ign about Skype on Xbox One have hundreds of Titanfall bashing comments? Wow, this is the lowest Ive ever seen Cows.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

I think MS should hand over a ton of money to EA again to make sure Titanfall 2 doesn't end up on PS4.

If Titanfall 2 did come out on PS4 and it ended up having a higher resolution or higher FPS like a lot of other multi plats, the lems would never here the end of it from cows.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Rage010101

@sailor232 said:

Why does an article on ign about Skype on Xbox One have hundreds of Titanfall bashing comments? Wow, this is the lowest Ive ever seen Cows.

Their Titanfall butthurt has reached epic proportions.

strothers101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 strothers101
Member since 2011 • 425 Posts

The game definitely caters to the COD crowd. Ive been playing for around 4 hours so far and coming from a purely BF background I have been getting dusted pretty hard. Seems to be a lot of people with GTs like xL33TOpTiXx and xXSniperzSkillzXx. I love the game, just wish I was a better twitch shooter. Couple of things though. Getting killed by grunts/specters is pretty much the most humiliating experience ive had in a game in a long time. Also there needs to be options to customize your titan with emblems etc. Oh yeah and please remove the smart pistol and nuclear ejaculation from the game.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 sailor232

@strothers101 said:

The game definitely caters to the COD crowd. Ive been playing for around 4 hours so far and coming from a purely BF background I have been getting dusted pretty hard. Seems to be a lot of people with GTs like xL33TOpTiXx and xXSniperzSkillzXx. I love the game, just wish I was a better twitch shooter. Couple of things though. Getting killed by grunts/specters is pretty much the most humiliating experience ive had in a game in a long time. Also there needs to be options to customize your titan with emblems etc. Oh yeah and please remove the smart pistol and nuclear ejaculation from the game.

Hahaha yeah I agree on a few of those, it is humiliating getting killed by the AI, I also think there needs more customization for the titans, I get very attached to my Titan. I think the smart pistol is fine, it takes longer to lock on when going against pilots and I really only get killed from behind by it. I myself am learning how to twitch shoot with a gamepad and am getting better at it. It's a great game but those that have played COD will definitely have an easier time jumping straight in. I love it when I get a kill streak in the titan, that makes me feel unstoppable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@Rage010101 said:

There are alot of maps, I believe 12-15, I lost count. Each map feels different and I can't express enough how very well designed the maps are. I'm not kidding when I say that Titanfall's maps are some of the best I've seen in gaming history. Just to give you some history, I used to play alot of Counter Strike, Quake, Tribes, BF2, Unreal Tournament, 2142, Natural Selection 1 and 2, etc. Titanfall maps are designed for vertical warfare and Titan warfare. They take both pilots and titans into account. Very well made. Only someone who has played it would know what I mean. Think of it as a map on top of another map. They become different battlefields based on whether you're a pilot or titan.

There is so much truth in this paragraph.

People say this game lacks content. But the fact that there are 15 maps, and the maps are very well designed, means this game has a lot of longevity.

They could add 20 titan types and 500 weapons to this game but if it had 10 crappy maps than nobody would be playing this game in a month.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 R4gn4r0k

@Rage010101 said:

Ya I've been playing it alot. I'm on the verge of regenerating again and becoming 3rd generation pilot. I'm loving the pc version not only because it is the best version, but also because in between matches during matchmaking/loading, I tend to alt tab and watch the cow butthurt unfold before me while I play this beast awesome fun game at the same time. It's glorious!

What does going for next generation do exactly

It takes away all your weapons and gives you an XP boost ? Is that it ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Rage010101 said:

Yes, its prestige just like CoD.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 R4gn4r0k

@MBirdy88 said:

I've never prestiged in Call of Duty :p Only played the COD, UO and COD 2 multiplayer

But what use is the XP boost ? It just allows you to unlock all your weapons again faster ?

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I'm disappointed with the campaign mode, not because it's a bit naff but because the level of inventiveness and variety on display in the maps makes me wish they'd gone all out. There's some really cool looking environments that I'd like to have seen explored more and that's not a feeling you ever really get from "abandoned parking garage 4" in most modern shooters.

Then again, maybe them just being maps is what allowed for such variety, it's probably easier to craft something cool looking when you don't need to wedge it into a story.

I like the sense of intensity some of the campaign missions add to the game though, I've been having a lot of really close games and having even a slight sense of it "meaning" something can intensify the last minutes of a match a lot. Especially when everything is blowing up and that South African guy is getting all mad at you for sucking.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@R4gn4r0k said:

@MBirdy88 said:

I've never prestiged in Call of Duty :p Only played the COD, UO and COD 2 multiplayer

But what use is the XP boost ? It just allows you to unlock all your weapons again faster ?

Its just bragging rights, and giving you the chance to do it from scratch if you like (though you keep burn cards and titan unlocks).

You get a badge by your name like CoD for each one. the challenges change each time aswell. so eventually you will have sort of "mastered" all the weapons.

all bragging rights/ replayability really.

Yea I'm getting 1.3 exp atm ... went from level 1-7 in one match lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@MBirdy88 said:

Its just bragging rights, and giving you the chance to do it from scratch if you like (though you keep burn cards and titan unlocks).

You get a badge by your name like CoD for each one. the challenges change each time aswell. so eventually you will have sort of "mastered" all the weapons.

all bragging rights/ replayability really.

Yea I'm getting 1.3 exp atm ... went from level 1-7 in one match lol.

Nice !

I don't think I will do it though, I'd like to keep my unlocks :p

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Rage010101

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Rage010101 said:

Ya basically it gives you a permanent boost to how much XP you accumulate and it increases every time you regenerate/prestige. You get to keep all your burn cards, and your titan unlocks (stryder/ogre). It's basically for bragging rights. I like having the icon next to my name and it gives me something to shoot for as a goal when I reset. It doesn't hinder me much because I feel I play very well even if I don't have my favorite unlocks at my disposal.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#83 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Are people finding out the hype wasn't real yet?

jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart: I definitely ain't having as much fun as some other users are. I mean the game is good but it's not something I feel I can play for hours on end.

jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts

@Mkavanaugh77: you act like ps4 players don't have a pc.... I play it on my laptop full graphics. It's hardly a demanding game!. Some won't have a pc some will.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@jonesy1911 said:

@Mkavanaugh77: you act like ps4 players don't have a pc.... I play it on my laptop full graphics. It's hardly a demanding game!. Some won't have a pc some will.

proof? hardly a demanding game? lol it requires 3 GB VRAM for max settings.... I dont even get 60 FPS on my pc.

stop hiding.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Spartan070

@jonesy1911 said:

If that's really the case then you shouldn't come across as if your laptop is the norm. My laptop has an i5-2430 and 8gb of ram and it won't sniff Titanfall.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Meanwhile in Berlin
Life-Size Titan Falls In Middle Of Berlin

Link.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@freedomfreak said:

Meanwhile in Berlin

Link.

I want it.

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@jonesy1911 said:

I highly doubt you own the game If you think you can play it with "full graphics" on your laptop.

My friend has a top of the line PC with a low-mid GPU and has to run it on low settings.

So unless you have a beast of a laptop, youre lying.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 R4gn4r0k

@Rage010101 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Rage010101 said:

Ya basically it gives you a permanent boost to how much XP you accumulate and it increases every time you regenerate/prestige. You get to keep all your burn cards, and your titan unlocks (stryder/ogre). It's basically for bragging rights. I like having the icon next to my name and it gives me something to shoot for as a goal when I reset. It doesn't hinder me much because I feel I play very well even if I don't have my favorite unlocks at my disposal.

Yeah, I do like how balanced everything is.

So the weapons you get at the start aren't worse than the latter level weapons.

Perhaps I'll do it, perhaps not :p

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@jonesy1911 said:

Sure it does, buddy

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

I love the graphics in this game. Not sure what the haters are talking about. Damn, sometimes I just have to stop and look at all the sci-fi shit going around in the environment. It's an interesting universe in Titanfall.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#96 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

DF

The 792p resolution on Xbox One is a curious one. It's a 21 per cent increase over 720p, and the use of multi-sampling anti-aliasing makes it punch a little above its weight in an era where the more usual post-process AA can actively harm image quality at lower resolutions (as seen on Battlefield 4 on Xbox One). However, when we first saw Titanfall, we were pretty certain we were seeing 720p or something close to it (1366x768 perhaps). We remain curious about why Respawn would choose this particular framebuffer size, as that additional 21 per cent of resolution isn't giving us a boost in quality commensurate with the GPU resources being allocated to it. The question is, could that graphics power have been better deployed elsewhere?

There's been plenty of talk about Titanfall's sub-native resolution, but while that is not exactly ideal, the biggest problem we have with the game in its current format is that the magic combination of ingredients that made Modern Warfare work has come slightly off the boil here: the Xbox One version simply cannot sustain the required 60fps. The consistency in performance just isn't there and so the gameplay often doesn't feel quite right.

So, just like the beta, we see Titanfall frame-rates on Xbox One dip into the mid-30s at its worst, and at those points the rock-solid consistency we saw in the early iterations of the Modern Warfare experience is gone, and with it - arguably - the essence of the "twitch" shooter. In mitigation this does tend to happen while you're seated in your Titan, so the need for ultra-low latency controls is lessened, but there's no doubt that the player's immersion in the experience is dented by the compromised performance.

Respawn's adaptive v-sync decision works out OK for general, on-foot pilot gameplay but there's still too much of the 'adaptive' and not enough of the 'v-sync', resulting in an obvious tearing that impacts visual consistency. However, the effects vary: with little in the way of left/right panning, it manifests almost like a 'wobble' - noticeable, but nothing that unduly affects the quality of the gameplay. However, in the middle of pitched battle, with the player spinning around to tackle new threats, the tearing is very obvious and highly distracting.

Well, we put some time into this and didn't spot any single-digit frame-rates, but this is clearly a great way to stress-test the game, and we can well imagine that if all 12 Titans were let loose in a confined space, frame-rates could plummet to a noticeably unacceptable level.

We ran the game on our recently constructed "next-gen" Digital Foundry PC, pairing a six-core AMD FX-6300 with a GeForce GTX 760. Texture quality needs to drop to very high, but otherwise, everything is on max and we can hit 1080p60 with lashings of anti-aliasing, but the performance level is not sustained - but still a clearly noticeable improvement over Xbox One. Frame-rates were OK overall, but it's a little sobering that the same machine achieves a higher overall performance level on Battlefield 4 on high settings. We also tried our high-end games machine featuring an overclocked Core i7-3770K matched with a GTX 780. At this point we could run Titanfall on insane texture settings with maximum anti-aliasing with just occasional stutter at 1080p, but we lost the 60fps lock when ramping up the resolution to 2560x1440.

When we spoke to Respawn producer Drew McCoy at Gamescom last year, we were fully onboard with the "frame-rate is king" response when we asked about the possibility of 1080p60 on Xbox One. The key to the best Titanfall experience is all about the frame-rate - it's a crucial element of the interface between player and game and it's a core element in defining the gameplay. The end product is still a massive entertaining, highly playable piece of software, but on Xbox One at least, the performance level clearly isn't anywhere near locked to the magic 60fps, with Respawn sailing dangerously close on occasion to nerfing the the magic formula that makes this game great.

By and large, when you need the signature twitch-levels of response, Titanfall delivers, but it does so at a price - eye-rending screen-tear. That's a compromise that the erstwhile-Infinity Ward team members never implemented during their run on Modern Warfare and we were surprised to see it manifest so obviously here. As a result, the pure thoroughbred arcade experience that defined Call of Duty and is instrumental to Titanfall's success is left somewhat compromised, with a level of visual artefacting that frequently looks plain ugly.

Titanfall has clear performance issues on Xbox One, but it's still a fun experience. However, when playing on PC, the fluidity in refresh, response and control is leagues ahead.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Rage010101

@misterpmedia said:

DF

The 792p resolution on Xbox One is a curious one. It's a 21 per cent increase over 720p, and the use of multi-sampling anti-aliasing makes it punch a little above its weight in an era where the more usual post-process AA can actively harm image quality at lower resolutions (as seen on Battlefield 4 on Xbox One). However, when we first saw Titanfall, we were pretty certain we were seeing 720p or something close to it (1366x768 perhaps). We remain curious about why Respawn would choose this particular framebuffer size, as that additional 21 per cent of resolution isn't giving us a boost in quality commensurate with the GPU resources being allocated to it. The question is, could that graphics power have been better deployed elsewhere?

There's been plenty of talk about Titanfall's sub-native resolution, but while that is not exactly ideal, the biggest problem we have with the game in its current format is that the magic combination of ingredients that made Modern Warfare work has come slightly off the boil here: the Xbox One version simply cannot sustain the required 60fps. The consistency in performance just isn't there and so the gameplay often doesn't feel quite right.

So, just like the beta, we see Titanfall frame-rates on Xbox One dip into the mid-30s at its worst, and at those points the rock-solid consistency we saw in the early iterations of the Modern Warfare experience is gone, and with it - arguably - the essence of the "twitch" shooter. In mitigation this does tend to happen while you're seated in your Titan, so the need for ultra-low latency controls is lessened, but there's no doubt that the player's immersion in the experience is dented by the compromised performance.

Respawn's adaptive v-sync decision works out OK for general, on-foot pilot gameplay but there's still too much of the 'adaptive' and not enough of the 'v-sync', resulting in an obvious tearing that impacts visual consistency. However, the effects vary: with little in the way of left/right panning, it manifests almost like a 'wobble' - noticeable, but nothing that unduly affects the quality of the gameplay. However, in the middle of pitched battle, with the player spinning around to tackle new threats, the tearing is very obvious and highly distracting.

Well, we put some time into this and didn't spot any single-digit frame-rates, but this is clearly a great way to stress-test the game, and we can well imagine that if all 12 Titans were let loose in a confined space, frame-rates could plummet to a noticeably unacceptable level.

We ran the game on our recently constructed "next-gen" Digital Foundry PC, pairing a six-core AMD FX-6300 with a GeForce GTX 760. Texture quality needs to drop to very high, but otherwise, everything is on max and we can hit 1080p60 with lashings of anti-aliasing, but the performance level is not sustained - but still a clearly noticeable improvement over Xbox One. Frame-rates were OK overall, but it's a little sobering that the same machine achieves a higher overall performance level on Battlefield 4 on high settings. We also tried our high-end games machine featuring an overclocked Core i7-3770K matched with a GTX 780. At this point we could run Titanfall on insane texture settings with maximum anti-aliasing with just occasional stutter at 1080p, but we lost the 60fps lock when ramping up the resolution to 2560x1440.

When we spoke to Respawn producer Drew McCoy at Gamescom last year, we were fully onboard with the "frame-rate is king" response when we asked about the possibility of 1080p60 on Xbox One. The key to the best Titanfall experience is all about the frame-rate - it's a crucial element of the interface between player and game and it's a core element in defining the gameplay. The end product is still a massive entertaining, highly playable piece of software, but on Xbox One at least, the performance level clearly isn't anywhere near locked to the magic 60fps, with Respawn sailing dangerously close on occasion to nerfing the the magic formula that makes this game great.

By and large, when you need the signature twitch-levels of response, Titanfall delivers, but it does so at a price - eye-rending screen-tear. That's a compromise that the erstwhile-Infinity Ward team members never implemented during their run on Modern Warfare and we were surprised to see it manifest so obviously here. As a result, the pure thoroughbred arcade experience that defined Call of Duty and is instrumental to Titanfall's success is left somewhat compromised, with a level of visual artefacting that frequently looks plain ugly.

Titanfall has clear performance issues on Xbox One, but it's still a fun experience. However, when playing on PC, the fluidity in refresh, response and control is leagues ahead.

Thats why you're supposed to get the definitive version on PC, just like daddy.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Framerate is king

Bu bu bu but they'll patch it

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Shitspawn wanted to knock the res back down to 720p but Microsoft wouldn't let them just to make CBOAT look bad.

I've read about problems with crashes and lag too. Really does sound like this was a PS3/360 game then when MS bought exclusivity they told them to rush out an Xbone port.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@misterpmedia said:

DF

Lulz peasant squabbles.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#100 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts