The Official PSP2 Discussion Thread (CALLED NGP! TWO ANALOG STICKS!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

The PSP2 was unveiled in styIe by Sony at their Playstation Event just now, and holy crap, the device is every bit as good as we could have hoped for.

Just a quick round-up of sme of the facts from the conference, for those who missed out:

• Playstation Suite, which will allow for specific Playstation software to be played on Playstation Certified products.
  • Playstation Store coming to Android.
  • PSP2 announced with codename Next Generation Portable (NGP). It's features include cameras, a gyroscope, dual analog sticks, a touch screen, a track pad at the back, 3G and Wifi and 'power equivalent to the PS3.' Due out this Holiday season.
  • Sony confirms a slew of games for the NGP, includingHot Shots Golf, Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet, Gravity Haze, Hustle Fighters, WipeOut, and more!
  • Uncharted Portable uses the touch screen and gyroscope for control.
  • The back touch pad can be used either to control on screen action without your fingers getting in the way, or as L and R buttons.
  • Both screens arefive inches!
  • Live Areais the NGP's equivalent of the PSN What's New Section on the PS3.
  • NGP uses solid state format i.e cartridges.
  • Live Area also has aCommunication Feed,which is similar to SpotPass and StreetPass on the 3DS. In addition, it also allows you to see what the most popular game is being played in your immediate vicintiy.
  • Trophies confirmed.
  • Augmented Reality for the NGP.
  • The NGP will have full access to the Playstation Suite.
  • Third party support for the NGP includes Activison, Sega, Koei, Konami, Tecmo and Capcom.
  • Monster Hunter Portable 3rddemoed on the NGP. Will be accessible via the backwards compatible PSN Store.
  • Capcom confirms thatMT Frameworks works on the NGP.
  • Lost Planet 2 demoed on NGP.
  • No confirmed titles announced by Capcom for the NGP yet.
  • Yakuza and Super Monkey Ball demoed on the NGP. Not confirmed to launch on the NGP yet.
  • METAL GEAR SOLID 4 DEMOED ON THE NGP
  • MGS4 not coming to NGP. Kojima will announce a new title at E3.
  • Will NGP have Cloud Computing?
  • Tim Sweeny comes onto the stage, shows off a tech demo running off Unreal Engine.
  • Activison comes onto the stages and announces Call of Duty for the NGP.
  • Rockstar is listed as a developer for the NGP.
  • That's it for now: details not announced: games, battery life and price.

SPECS

CPU
ARM® CortexTM-A9 core (4 core)

GPU
SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad
Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras
Front camera, Rear camera

Sound
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone

Sensors
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications

Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?

ngp

ngp

ngp

ngp

ngp

Looks sexy, and it has two analog sticks. What do you guys think?

LIST OF DEVELOPERS FOR THE NGP (MUST KNOW JAPANESE)

HOW DOES THE NGP STACK UP AGAINST THE COMPETITON?

IS THIS THE 3DS KILLER?

(All text in this post was compiled and written by charizard1605. The images in this post are hosted by Kotaku and IGN. The Spec Sheet for the NGP was provided by NeoGAF.)

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

PSP2 =PSP Phone. thats my speculation. Thats not rly a criticism, just an eye opener

---edit----

also i highly doubt this device will have graphics anything near a PS3. Remember when ppl were saying the 3DS was supposed to have XBOX 360/PS3 level graphics? yeah....didnt happen.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I would say it will be amazing, very powerful, and no doubt expensive. My two concerns are that it will be unreliable and that it wont get too many good games. Oh and I would like PSP games to be able to be played on it, as I want to play Peace Walker and more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

PSP2 =PSP Phone. thats my speculation. Thats not rly a criticism, just an eye opener

---edit----

also i highly doubt this device will have graphics anything near a PS3. Remember when ppl were saying the 3DS was supposed to have XBOX 360/PS3 level graphics? yeah....didnt happen.

painguy1
I would ordinarily agree with you, but the thing is, Kaz Hirai himself confirmed that the PSP2 is NOT the PSP Phone. He went on to talk about how it would be hard to differentiate the two products for the uninformed masses etc.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

---edit----

charizard1605

I would ordinarily agree with you, but the thing is, Kaz Hirai himself confirmed that the PSP2 is NOT the PSP Phone. He went on to talk about how it would be hard to differentiate the two products for the uninformed masses etc.

rly? well seeing as how this is system wars....I REQUIRE A LINK!!!!! :P

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12331 Posts
Won't have 3G, Wont have OLED screen, Wont be as powerful as the PS3. It'll be more powerful than the 3DS, have a high res LCD screen with LED backlighting, 2 analogs, 5MP camera, bluetooth, wi-fi, 16GB/32 versions and will use some sort of ARM/POWERVR combination. Price = $300. Will be DD and Memory Stick compatible.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I might get it if P4P decides to come to PSP2 (and that's is if P4P is real)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

---edit----

painguy1

Here ya go :P http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP2/PSP+2/news.asp?c=26279
ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

It will be powerful no doubt but it may make the cost of the product more than desired.

The games are what's most important but I'm wondering if it'll be able to compete with the 3DS in this aspect.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Won't have 3G, Wont have OLED screen, Wont be as powerful as the PS3. It'll be more powerful than the 3DS, have a high res LCD screen with LED backlighting, 2 analogs, 5MP camera, bluetooth, wi-fi, 16GB/32 versions and will use some sort of ARM/POWERVR combination. Price = $300. Will be DD and Memory Stick compatible. Nonstop-Madness
I'm not sure if I believe any of these rumors, really, but I think people will be genuinely surprised when the PSP2 launches for $250. Unlike Nintendo, Sony has shown a willingness to sell hardware for a loss, sometimes even hundreds of dollars worth in initial manufacturing costs. With all the momentum the 3DS has, Sony needs to take advantage of the fact that Nintendo set a high price for their breadwinner by price matching them. Plus Sony has already demonstrated in the past that they like the $250 price point for handhelds.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

It will probably be hyped as a mini super computer that will put even high end PC's to shame.....but when it actually comes out everyone will find out it's not even as powerful as the original iPhone.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] I would ordinarily agree with you, but the thing is, Kaz Hirai himself confirmed that the PSP2 is NOT the PSP Phone. He went on to talk about how it would be hard to differentiate the two products for the uninformed masses etc.charizard1605

hmmm he didnt rly say that it was going to be two separate entities. I honestly think he was refering to the playstation market for the android device. thats how i interpreted it. Regardless IF the PSP2 is a phone ill probably get it once my contract expires :P

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] I would ordinarily agree with you, but the thing is, Kaz Hirai himself confirmed that the PSP2 is NOT the PSP Phone. He went on to talk about how it would be hard to differentiate the two products for the uninformed masses etc.charizard1605

Wait a second... that makes it sound like they're both the same to me. He said that the PSPhone "keeps the the PS strengths intact". So...
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="Nonstop-Madness"]Won't have 3G, Wont have OLED screen, Wont be as powerful as the PS3. It'll be more powerful than the 3DS, have a high res LCD screen with LED backlighting, 2 analogs, 5MP camera, bluetooth, wi-fi, 16GB/32 versions and will use some sort of ARM/POWERVR combination. Price = $300. Will be DD and Memory Stick compatible. SakusEnvoy

I'm not sure if I believe any of these rumors, really, but I think people will be genuinely surprised when the PSP2 launches for $250. Unlike Nintendo, Sony has shown a willingness to sell hardware for a loss, sometimes even hundreds of dollars worth in initial manufacturing costs. With all the momentum the 3DS has, Sony needs to take advantage of the fact that Nintendo set a high price for their breadwinner by price matching them. Plus Sony has already demonstrated in the past that they like the $250 price point for handhelds.

They have released one handheld lol. I don't think that will allow anyone to get an idea of the pricing they do for handhelds. I imagine the system being 300 bucks, but if they could somehow make it powerful and pull off 250 then that would be great.

deadesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 deadesa
Member since 2005 • 1706 Posts
I don't think it will be the graphics powerhouse everyone will make it out to be, although I would imagine it will more powerful than the 3DS. It simply can't produce the graphics output of a PS3 while maintaining acceptable battery life. I refuse to have a handheld that requires a power outlet to really enjoy, defeats the purpose.
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Apparently, Sony is going to go ahead and continue with the same approach that brought them so much success with the PSP

charizard1605

Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it will be priced at the same pricepoint as the 3DS - but we won't find that out until E3 anyway.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Well one thing is for certain. It wont be any more expensive than the 3DS in Europe. I doubt Sony are going to pull a Nintendo and screw us over with the pricing. I expect it to be in the £180-£200 range. I expect it to be either the same price or a bit more expensive in the US though. Still, Sony definitely have a good chance of doing very well in Europe if they do make it cheaper than the 3DS in that region.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
as i was speculating in another thread i dont think sony are going to try and go after ninty...i think there going to try and go after apple. the PSP2 may be a spec that comes in different shapes and sizes with different setups...like an ipad or ipod. i also dont think sony are going to sell at a loss like before. they may break even on the launch price but the days of sony losing money on hardware are over i think. it worked great with the PS1 and 2 but we have seen just how devastating it can be if something goes wrong.....they have lost billions on the PS3. i dont think the shareholders are going to stand for that kind of risk again. i dont think the PSP was ever sold at a loss either. so the i___ market is the ideal one to go after. thats a market willing to pay top dollar and if its one thing sony can do its develop features 9and there not too shabby on the games front either....lots of them..and put them in stylish hardware. prepare a proper appstore and allow anyone to develop (but also have better licencing agreements for the big players). the i__ is not great to play games on as a device. a well specced semi-open platform but with protection for the big players and backed by sonys first party on a device thats built for multimieda but with additions for gaming (dual nubs and buttons...nice shiny buttons mind) priced competatively against i___ devices could give apple a very rude awakening in the games market. but dont be surprised to see prices similar to an ipad. as for ninty....i dont think they will see them as a direct competitor. 2 seperate markets. im sure the PR from sony will be something along the lines of "the 3DS is just a kids toy and were not competing with it. the PSp2 is a proper, high powered multimedia device and a super computer (the super computer bit is sony tradition :P). sony dont make kids toys".
kholdstare61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kholdstare61
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts

---edit----

painguy1
Why not? The PSP , which came out 5 years after PS2, had near PS2 graphics. Why wouldn't this coming out 5 years after the PS3 do the same?
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

---edit----

painguy1

I doubt the psp2 is the same as psphone( actually an xperia phone) since we've been reading that it(psp2) will have two thumb sticks and from the vids we've seen(of the psphone)it doesn't. It can't be the same thing they're talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Apparently, Sony is going to go ahead and continue with the same approach that brought them so much success with the PSP

shinrabanshou

Anyway, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it will be priced at the same pricepoint as the 3DS - but we won't find that out until E3 anyway.

What? I was serious, there was no sarcasm intended! Honest! :P

[spoiler] Well okay, maybe just a little. :twisted: [/spoiler]

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Sony in a struggle to remain relevant is trying to go up against a strong Nintendo and Apple. I don't think the PSPhone/PSP2 will succeed in that respect. We may be witnessing Sony's last days as a game hardware manufacturer. At best, I can see them being an obscure niche riding the coattails of both competitors.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Sony in a struggle to remain relevant is trying to go up against a strong Nintendo and Apple. I don't think the PSPhone/PSP2 will succeed in that respect. We may be witnessing Sony's last days as a game hardware manufacturer. At best, I can see them being an obscure niche riding the coattails of both competitors.

InfinityMugen

Sony is struggling to remain relevant in the video game industry about as much as Pixar are in the animated movie industry.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

---edit----

kholdstare61
Why not? The PSP , which came out 5 years after PS2, had near PS2 graphics. Why wouldn't this coming out 5 years after the PS3 do the same?

Only now that its reaching the end of its lifecycle is it reaches that level. So maybe the PSP2 will reach that eventually, but at launch? Strongly doubt it.
windsquid9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 windsquid9000
Member since 2009 • 3206 Posts
[QUOTE="kholdstare61"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

---edit----

hexashadow13

Only now that its reaching the end of its lifecycle is it reaches that level. So maybe the PSP2 will reach that eventually, but at launch? Strongly doubt it.

In the PSP's defense, it was underclocked at launch, though I don't remember for how long so that might not have anything to do with anything... :?
shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shinrabanshou

InfinityMugen

Over 60 million units isn't particularly niche. It may pale in comparison to the DS, but it's hardly a sign that the end of PlayStation is nigh. They made in-roads into a market that has perpetually been dominated by Nintendo with their first iteration of portable hardware.

Nor is the PS3 as the healthiest "loser console" that I can remember, a sign of doom.

There will be a PS4. And there's definitely a market for a PSP2.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

---edit----

kholdstare61

hardware gap is very large this time around

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 InfinityMugen

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]

shinrabanshou

Over 60 million units isn't particularly niche. It may pale in comparison to the DS, but it's hardly a sign that the end of PlayStation is nigh. They made in-roads into a market that has perpetually been dominated by Nintendo with their first iteration of portable hardware.

Nor is the PS3 as the healthiest "loser console" that I can remember, a sign of doom.

There will be a PS4. And there's definitely a market for a PSP2.

Sony is not going out without a fight, but I dont see them winning out against 3DS, iphone or the next generation of consoles. A niche group is still marketshare I suppose.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

the psp2, will produce visuals akin to the HD twins when factoring in the lower res screens.

It will have 3 hours of battery life.

It will have some great launch titles probably.

I will be getting the 3ds :P

cost? I don't know.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shinrabanshou

Sony is not going out without a fight, but I dont see them winning out against 3DS, iphone or the next generation of consoles. A niche group is still marketshare I suppose.

InfinityMugen

You don't need to win out to remain relevant. :/

Nor is a 30% marketshare for the PSP or a 25% marketshare for the PS3 "niche." :/

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone on here who actually considers the iPhone a gaming device. And if this generation has shown anything it's that every home console generation is a blank slate.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 InfinityMugen

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]Sony is not going out without a fight, but I dont see them winning out against 3DS, iphone or the next generation of consoles. A niche group is still marketshare I suppose.

shinrabanshou

You don't need to win out to remain relevant. :/

Nor is a 30% marketshare for the PSP or a 25% marketshare for the PS3 "niche." :/

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone on here who actually considers the iPhone a gaming device. And if this generation has shown anything it's that every home console generation is a blank slate.

They have the smallest marketshare in both categories. You certainly can't call it dominance either. I only mentioned the iphone because Sony has plans of releasing a smartphone psp and who's in the smart phone business that's currently dominating? Apple. I believe the PSPhone is for the phone market while the PSP2 is for the gaming market. They're trying to be the jack of all trades but in reality, they're masters of none. In terms of gaming, Sony doesn't know their market anymore which is why I see them slipping into further decline.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shinrabanshou

You certainly can't call it dominance either.InfinityMugen
I didn't... I just fail to see how these are signs of Sony's impending abandoning of the game hardware ship.

The Wonder Swan is niche.

The PSP? Not so much.

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 InfinityMugen

[QUOTE="InfinityMugen"]You certainly can't call it dominance either.shinrabanshou

I didn't... I just fail to see how these are signs of Sony's impending abandoning of the game hardware ship.

The Wonder Swan is niche.

The PSP? Not so much.

Yeah you're right. Everything is just fine. With the way Sony's game division is being handled, they will surely last a long time.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shinrabanshou

Yeah you're right. Everything is just fine. With the way Sony's game division is being handled, they will surely last a long time.

InfinityMugen

You broke my sarcasm meter.

There's no denying PS3 was an unmitigated disaster for it's first 2-3 years on the market, but was turned around.

There's no denying that the PSP sales are dwarfed by the 3DS.

But the likelihood of the death of the PlayStation brand and Sony exiting the lucrative game market based on current circumstances, isn't any moreso than the death of Nintendo was certain after two generations of failure with the N64 and Gamecube or Microsoft exiting the console market after billions lost and a 17% marketshare of the 6th generation of home consoles.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Will happen the same like the PSP.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts

why would sony reveal the psp2 in january? wouldnt that be better saved for something like E3?

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 shinrabanshou

why would sony reveal the psp2 in january? wouldnt that be better saved for something like E3?

ultraking

The 3DS launches before E3. They can't leave a vacuum for the 3DS to completely take all the mindshare, they need to let people know they'll be competing.

I'm assuming they'll reveal the hardware and some showpiece software, an Uncharted Portable, a Call of Duty for the West or Monster Hunter for Japan if they're clever. As well as a vague release date like "Holiday 2011."

But a launch line-up, release date and pricing won't be shown until E3.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

ultraking

To steal some thunder from the 3DS before it launches?

WildDangles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 WildDangles92
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

I am very excited for how the PSP2 will turn out and i will definately buy one. Price is not a detractor for me, if it is cheap i will buy, if it is expensive i will buy. If the system is supported with the kinds of games I love and has a value that justifies the price, I will not regret for a second paying for it. From what I have heard, OLED touchscreen, 3G, HD visuals, I would pay anything for it if I could afford it...if I cant, i will wait until I can, plain and simple

exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
Seems that the 3G connectivity is legit since a report from Nikkei is confirming it. I'm not surprised since Japan is very 3G-dependant.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
I would really like to know what media format Sony intends to use. It would behoove them to get rid of UMD (moving parts=more power consumption). Going only DD would be a mistake as well (unless they want to provide 3G access for free LOL@ that idea). I hope they've developed a cartridge format...it's the only thing that makes sense for a handheld.
RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Oh it'll be powerful. Not a 360 or PS3, but way more than the 3DS. I think it'll sit in the middle of a PS2 and a PS3. Oh it'll be expensive. $350-$400. I don't know why people even think that it'll be $300. Hell no. The battery will be the same as the PSP, and the games. If sony learned one thing from its 2006 PS3 launch, it was not to launch with one good game. I say expect some big Sony franchises to launch with it. Including a GTPSP2, either a new Jak and Daxter or Uncharted, a MGS (I'd honestly guess an MGS1 or 2 remake, since the 3DS gets Snake Eater), an FPS, be it Killzone or Resistance, and..... some others.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shinrabanshou

Oh it'll be expensive. $350-$400. I don't know why people even think that it'll be $300. Hell no.

RandomWinner

If Sony launches a PSP2 at over $350, I expect it to be dead on arrival.

I mentioned it in the other thread but the components being speculated upon seem in the ballpark of the iPhone 4 or the Nexus One which has a Bill of Materials of about $180. I'm assuming 3G will be optional.

That would in theory make a $300 or even $250 loss leading pricepoint reasonable.

Smartphones have huge margins but they're competing with each other not the 3DS. And I'm guessing the 3DS is making a lot of profit per unit sold but they're banking on both the 3D and the DS brand building perceived value.

Sony doesn't really have that luxury.

sergemyster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sergemyster8
Member since 2006 • 1749 Posts

[QUOTE="RandomWinner"]

Oh it'll be expensive. $350-$400. I don't know why people even think that it'll be $300. Hell no.

shinrabanshou

If Sony launches a PSP2 at over $350, I expect it to be dead on arrival.

I mentioned it in the other thread but the components being speculated upon seem in the ballpark of the iPhone 4 or the Nexus One which has a Bill of Materials of about $180. I'm assuming 3G will be optional.

That would in theory make a $300 or even $250 loss leading pricepoint reasonable.

Smartphones have huge margins but they're competing with each other not the 3DS. And I'm guessing the 3DS is making a lot of profit per unit sold but they're banking on both the 3D and the DS brand building perceived value.

Sony doesn't really have that luxury.

Yea they don't wanna make the same mistake they made with the PS3. Hopefully It's $300 or $250. Most likely it'll be $300, if its more than that well the PSP2 is dead.
NoirLamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 NoirLamia
Member since 2010 • 801 Posts

So far I'm hearing great rumors, hopefully it'll have a nice launch line-up unlike it's competition :(

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

It takes more than technical specifications and price to beat the 3DS. One is the Nintendo brand name, the second is demographics, the third is features, and lastly is the games themselves.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NaveedLife

Wouldnt we know about a conference coming so soon? I really hope its true! I am interested to see if Sony can do the unthinkable and make me buy a PSP 2 before a 3DS :P.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I wonder when the PSP phone will be announced. Its leaked to high hell, yet no official announcement yet.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

So now the PSP2 is rumored to have a touch screen also. If it turns out to be true, yet again Sony jumps in on what Nintendo already has done. The 3G sounds really cool. Being able to surf web and download demos and what not but having to pay every month for the 3G im not sure if it's worth it. It will just be more expensive.