The Nintendo NX doesn't need better capabilities than the current PS4 to be successful

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

I think everyone agrees that games like Uncharted 4, Doom 4, Ratchet and Clank, etc...look amazing as is! Now could you imagine how a Metroid, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion etc, would look with comparable tech in the hands of Nintendo? You'd poop your pants right? I know I'd be more than ecstatic!

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

They recreating gamepad and won't support 86 system which would mean that porting from PC to PS4 is easy and no cost but porting from PC to NX costs lots of money.

Also who said it will have same capabilities than PS4? We heard that it will be same as Xbox One.

Third, YES THY NEED BETTER CAPABILITIES WHEN THEY WANT THIRD PARTY GAMES. Weak hardware = no 3rd party support = another flop

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Exactly there is people out there who just like the nintendo brand.

If NX is near xb1/ps4 power and can still play multiplats, that might be good enough for people to make it their only system since nintendo has the best first party lineup.

I'll take a mario kart over driveclub.

I'll take mario maker over project spark

I'll take Smash Bro. over Killer Instinct.

As a Brand nintendo has got the best exclusives and if it gets all the 3rd party I might kick my ps4/xb1 to the curb as it will be my one stop shop for games.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Nintendo is not going fet good 3rd party support.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FreedomFreeLife

After speaking to seven different people this week, I can say with confidence that this is false. NX isnot using x86 architecture like PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The NX has special, custom-made chips and the overall design of the hardware is very modern. The chips are industry leading because they are very modern chips, but having modern chips doesn’t necessarily mean Nintendo is aiming to create the most powerful hardware on the market. Furthermore, any rumors on “Polaris chips” and “Polaris architecture” regarding NX is wacky. There’s a good reason why those discussions are wacky.

In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is weaker than Xbox One.

NX = Wii U power, weaker than Xbox One

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Thats not something you want to say if you want the console to sell better then the Wiiu.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

Those games dont need the realistic graphics, but the system itself needs to be powerful enough to attract 3rd parties

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Third, YES THY NEED BETTER CAPABILITIES WHEN THEY WANT THIRD PARTY GAMES. Wear hardware = no 3rd party support = another flop

Indeed, it's another Wii U if they decide to cheap out on the hardware yet again, they have to ****** see that already.

I mean, why the **** they wouldn't like to have 3rd party games on their system, 3rd party games and their excellent exclusives, would that be so goddamn horrible Nintendo?

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FreedomFreeLife

@Epak_ said:
@FreedomFreeLife said:

Third, YES THY NEED BETTER CAPABILITIES WHEN THEY WANT THIRD PARTY GAMES. Wear hardware = no 3rd party support = another flop

Indeed, it's another Wii U if they decide to cheap out on the hardware yet again, they have to ****** see that already.

I mean, why the **** they wouldn't like to have 3rd party games on their system, 3rd party games and their excellent exclusives, would that be so goddamn horrible Nintendo?

Think what happens when Xbox and PS4 Neo more powerful consoles upgrades are true, then NX is dead

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 General_Solo76

Everything is a rumor right now in terms of raw power, so take the X1 comparison with a grain of salt. I'm just saying hypothetically if the system launched with PS4 capabilities, which should be affordable by March 2017

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Umm, yeah they do need to be better than ps4. It'd be a joke and a **** you to everyone who is excited if it isn't.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Epak_

@FreedomFreeLife said:
@Epak_ said:
@FreedomFreeLife said:

Think what happens when Xbox and PS4 Neo more powerful consoles upgrades are true, then NX is dead

Exactly. I hate talking 'bout the NX, it's so far off and they more than likely just disappoint everyone with the specs. I want progression goddamn it, no reason to release a system that is as weak as the Xbox One.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 General_Solo76

@Kruiz_Bathory: why? Are PS4 graphics rotten garbage all of a sudden? Gimme a break

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Epak_

@general_solo76 said:

@Kruiz_Bathory: why? Are PS4 graphics rotten garbage all of a sudden? Gimme a break

Sony and MS are already moving forward, Sony most likely as early as this year! Better crank up that HW Nintendo or you're left in the dust.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The NX will be dead if you´re not going to be able to play all the "garbage" people like to purchase, as much as guys here hate it, games like COD is what most people like to play and that is what sells by the truckloads, it makes cents for Nintendo to make a console and have the on-line capability to allow people to play "garbage" along with their own games, hell I like Nintendo games but I would like to play Nintendo games and something else, can´t play Ben 10 or Planes or Hello Kitty ( with my 11 year old daughter ) all year long even if I love Donkey Kong.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 General_Solo76

@raugutcon: why do you put "garbage" in quotations? Who said anything about garbage games?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

It just has to be a console-handheld hybrid.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

If it doesn't compete with the Neo in power, I'm not buying it. Simple as that. It'll be the first nintendo console I don't own. It's 2016, releasing something as powerful as a console that released in 2013 would be a joke. I want nintendo to succeed, but man if these latest rumors are true, nintendo is just going the wii u route again which wouldn't be a good thing. People care about power in a console. They want to be able to play cod, bf, battlefront, assassin's creed, etc with as little compromise as possible while not building a pc to play it. Right now, there is the x1 and ps4 which already do that and the neo will do it even better if all these rumors are true. People have already picked Playstation as the console to own this Gen, and I don't think nintendo will change that perception with a console as powerful as the x1, if they can change it at all.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

It's like people have already forgotten how the Wii U did with the same strategy.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

@Chutebox said:

It's like people have already forgotten how the Wii U did with the same strategy.

The Wii U was an obvious failure.

CVStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CVStar
Member since 2016 • 178 Posts

I hope the rumors that nintendo is switching to the tegra platform is untrue.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

If Nintendo wants to sell NX to more than just the hardcore Nintendo fanboys then it needs to be more powerful than PS4 and have full third party support. Even then it would be an uphill battle for them but they would have a fighting chance instead of another WiiU situation.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

That all depends on what exactly it is. If it's nintendo's 9th gen home console (which it doesn't seem to be) it certainly will need to out perform the ps4.

In fact, even if it does, it will probably be bested by the ps5 and xb two when they come out, causing gen 9 to be a repeat of gen 8.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

If NX is near xb1/ps4 power and can still play multiplats, that might be good enough for people to make it their only system since nintendo has the best first party lineup.

As a Brand nintendo has got the best exclusives and if it gets all the 3rd party I might kick my ps4/xb1 to the curb as it will be my one stop shop for games.

The group of people who are avid Nintendo fans did not propel the Wii U to success. Nintendo is going to need to diversify their lineup quite a bit and appeal to non fans if they want the NX to succeed. If they just pull another WiiU and only cater to their fanbase while also ignoring some of their larger franchises, they are going to fail again.

Exclusives aren't nearly as important as they once were. The biggest selling games out there are CoD, Battlefield, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, Minecraft, and other multiplatform games. Uncharted 4 is making a lot of buzz but the whole series over its life had only sold 25 million up until the launch of Uncharted 4 (so probably 32-33 million sold when it's all said and done). That's four Uncharted games over many years. That's not huge amounts of sales when you consider GTA 5 sold double that and CoD/Battlefield will sell half of that in a single year. The buzz is in the multiplatform games and Nintendo just keeps failing in that department.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

No one will give a single flying **** about a Nintendo branded PS4 four years late, just like one cared about the Nintendo branded X360 seven years late.

Time to stop the whinging, crawling excuses and just make a system that isn't lagging miles behind.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts
@general_solo76 said:

I think everyone agrees that games like Uncharted 4, Doom 4, Ratchet and Clank, etc...look amazing as is! Now could you imagine how a Metroid, Zelda, Luigi's Mansion etc, would look with comparable tech in the hands of Nintendo? You'd poop your pants right? I know I'd be more than ecstatic!

Better graphics isn't going to make those Nintendo franchises you listed sell better.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

PS4 owners are not gonna downgrade to a less powerful NX as their main console.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

They recreating gamepad and won't support 86 system which would mean that porting from PC to PS4 is easy and no cost but porting from PC to NX costs lots of money.

Also who said it will have same capabilities than PS4? We heard that it will be same as Xbox One.

Third, YES THY NEED BETTER CAPABILITIES WHEN THEY WANT THIRD PARTY GAMES. Weak hardware = no 3rd party support = another flop

It's x86 and a lot of the rumors point to the console being an ARM based console which won't be an issue because a lot of the big engines support ARM architecture.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@super600: Didn't AMD said they are making console parts for future consoles.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@super600: Didn't AMD said they are making console parts for future consoles.

Yep,but a lot of rumors lately seem to saying that the console may be using components from ARM to.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1070 Posts

The system needs to be powerful enough so, it can get multiplatform titles throughout it's lifespan. It needs to be more powerful than the PS4 and Neo if it exists. It should not be a little bit stronger either.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Cheapening out on specs and overcharging the customers is not a good way to turn around a flagging company.

DaHater7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaHater7
Member since 2008 • 170 Posts

@DocSanchez: Niintendo will be ok though their fanboys will eat up whatever plate of poop nintendo serves.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@DaHater7: That is true but unfortunately, sales show their fanboy base contracts every gen and the wii u's base wasn't enough so imagine less than that.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

If the NX is like a smart device it will not need to be more powerful than a PS, Xbox or PC to surpass the sales of the most powerful console. There could be greater 3rd party support than what the consoles are getting now if the NX is like a smart device. Of course it may not be anything like a smart device. I am just saying that it may be a mistake to equate failure with power level in present times.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

I think it's weird if Nintendo doesn't prioritize 3rd party support after the WiiU failure. Making the console at least as powerfull as the X1 and easy to port games to is a start. It needs something to make it sell, and first party titles alone will not be enough. I also think that those first party devs would very much like some good hardware to unfold they're ideas and imagination on. But, I think it will be hard for it to succeed, unless they aim for sales around 30 million.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I agree with the op. Games already look phenomenal. Nintendo just needs to get away from motion controls as their primary and I'll buy the NX for the family. Zelda with even PS3 graphics would be amazing.

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#39 KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

Better yet, can you imagine what a whole bunch of new Nintendo IPs would look like? Fucking glorious i bet..

Well Nintendo wont be taking such risks if theyre bleeding money over wasteful specs, theyll be trying to recoup as much as possible off their oldest and most recognizable games, yep more Mario.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@killonsight: Shame they can't do both like Sony. Their games aren't as good as Nintendo's in general, but they DO always balance sequels with new IPs.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

NX will be release in 2017...it needs to be on *minimum* on par with PS4...lower than that, its just a joke. You can argue power don't matter all you like..cause it will be another Wii U if its underpowered. Just hope Emily Rodger is wrong..cause she doesn't seem like the tech savvy type. :P

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@general_solo76: you have been here since 2013 and still don't know which "garbage" ( according to self entitled game conoisseurs which are abundant in this place ) I'm talking about ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Yeah pretty sure Nintendo has been saying this the past 2 generations and it's screwed them over every time.. If Nintendo are not going to attempt to keep up with the competition then this might very be the last Nintendo console we see.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 General_Solo76

All I'm saying is, even if it is just on par with PS4, that's good enough if it's reasonably priced and doesn't have another gimmick control scheme. It's not gonna sell like PS systems do anyway, but if it can sell N64 numbers or slightly better, Nintendo will be just fine. They're not gonna sell for a loss anyway, I'd be thrilled with Nintendo games running with PS4 tech, and I know a lot of parents and other folks would be happy too. Only die hard gamers fuss so much over graphics like on these forums. Most folks seeing a demo in a store of Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart etc...running on equivalent hardware to a PS4 would be plenty impressed

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@super600: AMD's Opteron A1100 SoC is ARM Cortex A57 based. A1100 has 8 CPU cores with 8 MB L3 cache. This Cortex A57 is built on 28 nm process tech.

From Extreme Tech. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9956/the-silver-lining-of-the-late-amd-opteron-a1100-arrival

From the early reports, performance is somewhere between 80 to 90% of the Atom C2750 (Eight 2.4 GHz Silvermont cores at 2.4-2.6 GHz). Even if AMD has used the delay to tune the A1100 significantly, it is very unlikely that the chip will be able to beat the Atom chip by any tangible margin.

For clock cycle, AMD Jaguar is similar to Intel Silvermont.

Relative CPU power level can give some indication for GPU's power level.

My guess...

AMD/ARM Cortex A57 at ~1.7 Ghz 8 core with Bonaire 14 CU + Tonga's GCN ver 1.2 improvements e.g. geometry/tessellation and ROPS delta compression improvements. The proposed GCN modified from lower power consumption FX-8800p's 8 CU GCN ver1.2

GCN ver 1.2 has about ~1.6X pref/watt improvements over the original GCN.

Options 1

If Nintendo decides to use TDP headroom from FX-8800p for higher clock speed and keeping the GPU size small

GPU: GCN v1.2 8 CU at 1.2 Ghz yields 1.228 TFLOPS

-------

Options 2

GPU: GCN v1.2 8 CU at 1050 Mhz yields 1.075 TFLOPS

----

Options 3

GPU: GCN v1.2 12 CU at 900 Mhz yields 1.382 TFLOPS. Bonaire 14 CU config.

GCN ver 1.2 has the unused 16bit FP mode that can speed up performance while lowering shader precision.

16bit FP shader mode is heavy used on mobile games.

The options above are available for 28 nm process tech.

PS4 and XBO doesn't have GCN ver1.2's 16 bit FP hardware mode to speed up performance.

ALU precision

YOUi Labs has an Android app which tests the floating point accuracy of the GPU inside your mobile device and here are some very noticeably different results obtained on two competing GPUs:

The precision of a GPU’s ALUs also has an impact on image quality, along with the precision you store the final results in. The major distinction between today’s desktop and mobile GPUs is that on mobile you’re much more likely to find very low-power (but also lower precision) ALUs.

Developers are able to employ which ALUs are used by the GPU when running their shaders, forcing them to consider ALU precision as another possible factor in image quality.

For AMD GCN version 1.2

AMD implemented native FP16 instructions, but they execute on the FP32 pipeline at clock parity. AMD saves power by powering off half of the FP32 transistors while in FP16 mode. FP16 also reduces register file usage and data movement to improve performance; register pressure can be a significant performance constraint for complex shaders.

KillOnSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#46  Edited By KillOnSight
Member since 2015 • 458 Posts

@locopatho: Yeah credit to Sony in that regard. Theyve built up alot of good will with gamers over the years and its allowed them to take risks on extravagant hardware and new IPs, but the PS4 is very safe and conservative compared to their usual shenanigans, being severely underpowered compared to PCs didnt hurt them one bit, isnt the PS4 the fastest selling Playstation?..

You only need to look at the PC to see what high end specs get you in modern gaming, unoptimized ports with razor sharp foliage and reflective puddles. This wont get people excited, i want new Nintendo IPs every other month, i want a new 3d platformer, an RPG puzzler, a hot potatoe 3d brawler and i want ma damn helicopter game.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

You sheep deserve that stinky epic failure of a product known as wii u, you disgust me lol. Stop supporting a company that cheap out on its hardware, have a stand for once and not be content with what's in the front. Think for the future, wii u did not have enough power thats why it failed. NX weaker than a Xbone at launch? Just what kind of low self esteemed peasants are you sheep lol? More power would potentially make your beloved Zelda or Mario 10x more awesome by introducing much bigger levels, more physics, better gameplay and graphics. Yes, to achieve better gameplay would ultimately need more power. I'm not asking for 3-4tf of power but something at least better than a PS4 since it has been 3 years since it launched.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

It needs to be better than PS4 if they expect anyone to give a crap about the it when it rolls off their playdough money maker. There's no chance I'll even give it a second look if it isn't a strong system and that goes for any console maker.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By General_Solo76

@gpuking: If you saw a new Zelda or Metroid at a store kiosk with graphics and animation comparable to Uncharted 4, you'd poop your Nathan Drake underoos right there on the spot and you know it!! :D

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@general_solo76: Alright go ahead and buy an underpowered next gen system then. PS4 is good but NX has to be better.