The most innovative game ever and Sony made it. I know, wow.

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

That's right comrades! Patapon - has there ever been a more innovative game?

No.

At first I was going to write of this generation but I realized that handhelds used different generations. That doesn't actually matter, because there hasn't been a more innovative game ever.

The way it uses the rhythm genre is beyond bizzare yet completely addicting, as demonstrated in the GameSpot's 9.0 Editor Choice Award it was awarded. It was also commercially well receieved and got two sequels that went on to add online MP and other things.

It's hard to be a sequel to the most innovative game ever, but eventually Sony Japan Studios did top the original. It doesn't matter because of all the things Patapon did right while taking so many risks that paid off.

Hats off to you, Sony. You didn't dun goofed for once.

pataponB.jpg

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Wish there was one on the PS3
Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

Patapon was a pretty sweet game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Patapon is awesome.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Never played it. I'd say Journey is more innovative though
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

You're welcome, Blab. :P

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

my favorite PSP game. :3

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blabadon
Never played it. I'd say Journey is more innovative thoughBPoole96
Look up gameplay. I haven't played Journey, but trust me, this is much more innovative. Gameplay online may be hard if you can't see how the player is actually using the controls

DarkLink77
lol
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

I called it "Pat-upon" once and someone threatened to kill me. [spoiler] That never happened, but Patapon is cool [/spoiler]

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]Never played it. I'd say Journey is more innovative thoughBlabadon
Look up gameplay. I haven't played Journey, but trust me, this is much more innovative. Gameplay online may be hard if you can't see how the player is actually using the controls

DarkLink77
lol

Look up gameplay for Journey. It features walking in deserts and jumping sometimes. Real generation defining stuff.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blabadon
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Look up gameplay. I haven't played Journey, but trust me, this is much more innovative. Gameplay online may be hard if you can't see how the player is actually using the controls

DarkLink77
lol

Look up gameplay for Journey. It features walking in deserts and jumping sometimes. Real generation defining stuff.

I can't! I haven't played it yet and since it's so short, watching anything seems like rather large spoilers to me. But that sand surfing scene is simply gorgeous and relaxing on the eyes.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
blab, you manage to compete with master shake and chaz on use of hyperbole. that said,
Wish there was one on the PS3MonsieurX
^ this.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Weren't they supposed to bring the 1 and 2 as PSPClassic games to the PS3 or something like that?
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blabadon
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]blab, you manage to compete with master shake and chaz on use of hyperbole. that said,
^ this.

Except I have a completely legitimate game going for the title I'm giving it.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]blab, you manage to compete with master shake and chaz on use of hyperbole. that said, [QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Wish there was one on the PS3Blabadon
^ this.

innovative? Yes. Most innovative rhythm game? Yes. Most innovative game ever? :lol:no:|

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I've never played it but have always loved the way it looks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Yes! Patapon is awesome

Some of the most original games come from Sony japan (SotC, ICO, Patapon, LocoRoco, Demon's Souls and soon to be Rain and Puppeteer). I was wondering were these masterminds where throughout this whole gen

People give too little credit to sony when it comes to originality. They can only see Uncharteds, GoWs, Killzones but forget the Flowers, the Journeys the ICOs, etc

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]blab, you manage to compete with master shake and chaz on use of hyperbole. that said,
^ this.

not really. for starters, innovation isn't quantitative. at least not to a degree you can say with such certainty that this is THE game that innovates the most. then there's the factor of innovation VS uniqueness. innovation can be seen as tackling a problem from a new perspective, creating a tool that objectively improves the experience, and influences the medium. for example, lock-on (or Z-target, as zelda baptized it). uniqueness provides you with something different from anything you've seen, but isn't necessarily an objective step forward in the medium. for example, TWEWY is an amazing, unique game, but its gameplay, while excellent and unique, doesn't really influence other games, nor should it. i could go on and on discussing semantics, but you get the idea. TL;DR: don't use absolutes so often, they lose their meaning.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I smell a Patapon HD collection.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Tru dat Blab... glad to see you finally found about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Look up gameplay. I haven't played Journey, but trust me, this is much more innovative. Gameplay online may be hard if you can't see how the player is actually using the controls[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

BPoole96

lol

If when you played journey you thought the main point of the game was walking on deserts and jumping you missed the whole point to it

Ok we get it by now, you hate the game to death. No need to spread your ignorance about it in every freakin thread. If the game was a sleeper hit I bet you would be all over it, or at least you wouldnt complaint so much about it. Seriously, its getting freakin annoying

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blabadon
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] not really. for starters, innovation isn't quantitative. at least not to a degree you can say with such certainty that this is THE game that innovates the most. then there's the factor of innovation VS uniqueness. innovation can be seen as tackling a problem from a new perspective, creating a tool that objectively improves the experience, and influences the medium. for example, lock-on (or Z-target, as zelda baptized it). uniqueness provides you with something different from anything you've seen, but isn't necessarily an objective step forward in the medium. for example, TWEWY is an amazing, unique game, but its gameplay, while excellent and unique, doesn't really influence other games, nor should it. i could go on and on discussing semantics, but you get the idea. TL;DR: don't use absolutes so often, they lose their meaning.

I see what you mean, but just double check and make sure you realized I was talking about innovation, not influence. Of course, innovation is not quantitative and not objectively definable (it's even hard to define it operationally), but Patapon is there. Yes, semantics aside, I think that it can be used in cases of absolutes. Which, by the way, I agree on. That's the difference with me and Shake. I use hyperbole with logic, his weekly employment of absolutes is ridiculous.

Tru dat Blab... glad to see you finally found about it.

GreenGoblin2099
I actually bought it a few days after it came out (launching at $20 was godsend), but another thread made me think of this game.
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreenGoblin2099

I actually bought it a few days after it came out (launching at $20 was godsend), but another thread made me think of this game.Blabadon

Nice, I think the same way as you do. Patapon is pretty cool, it was the nicest thing I saw in the PSAS demo when they came out and started battling Hades.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]I actually bought it a few days after it came out (launching at $20 was godsend), but another thread made me think of this game.GreenGoblin2099

Nice, I think the same way as you do. Patapon is pretty cool, it was the nicest thing I saw in the PSAS demo when they came out and started battling Hades.

I quit the game though when I found out that the dinosaur bosses can eat your best soldiers and you lose them permanently. It was too discouraging to continue play for me then. I'll play it again or at least the sequels.
IAmNot_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IAmNot_fun
Member since 2010 • 3336 Posts
Patapon is too f*cking great to be tarnished with Sony's name on the cover.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] not really. for starters, innovation isn't quantitative. at least not to a degree you can say with such certainty that this is THE game that innovates the most. then there's the factor of innovation VS uniqueness. innovation can be seen as tackling a problem from a new perspective, creating a tool that objectively improves the experience, and influences the medium. for example, lock-on (or Z-target, as zelda baptized it). uniqueness provides you with something different from anything you've seen, but isn't necessarily an objective step forward in the medium. for example, TWEWY is an amazing, unique game, but its gameplay, while excellent and unique, doesn't really influence other games, nor should it. i could go on and on discussing semantics, but you get the idea. TL;DR: don't use absolutes so often, they lose their meaning.

I see what you mean, but just double check and make sure you realized I was talking about innovation, not influence. Of course, innovation is not quantitative and not objectively definable (it's even hard to define it operationally), but Patapon is there. Yes, semantics aside, I think that it can be used in cases of absolutes. Which, by the way, I agree on. That's the difference with me and Shake. I use hyperbole with logic, his weekly employment of absolutes is ridiculous.

but innovation and influence are closely tied together. a real, major innovation will influence the medium (see touch screens, like it or not, everyone jumped on the bandwagon). if an innovation doesn't influence (assuming it doesn't suck, otherwise it wouldn't be an innovation), it's usually because it doesn't apply out of the game's own context, and therefore it's less of an innovation and more of a unique characteristic. but even ignoring all that. do you honestly believe patapon innovated more than the first FPS, or the first game set in an open environment, or hell, the first game to use 3D environments, or even the first game to make use of saves? is rhythmic strategy really a bigger innovation than being able to save your game? those examples i cited are the real innovations, the real revolutions. patapon is just a really unique game.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Never played it. I'd say Journey is more innovative thoughBPoole96

Flower was more innovative than journey.

GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreenGoblin2099

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]Never played it. I'd say Journey is more innovative thoughgoblaa

Flower was more innovative than journey.

You guys got it all wrong... you can't talk about innovation if you're not talking about Nintendo.

Geez, get a clue!!!

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

What the f*ck is Patapon?

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] ^ this.Jonwh18

innovative? Yes. Most innovative rhythm game? Yes. Most innovative game ever? :lol:no:|

This.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts
they need to bring the trilogy to the PS3, they're probably done squeezing whatever money they can make off of the games from the PSP and now is a perfect time to release an HD trilogy to the PS3
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I thought you were going to say Planetside 2

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
patapon was pretty boring, innovative yes..but boring.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS

I thought you were going to say Planetside 2

Riadon2
planetside 2 is a large scale version of battlefield meets halo. with a lot of grind at that. it's what made me give up on the game.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

What the f*ck is Patapon?

WiiCubeM1

awesome. One of the few good PSP games

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts

I think Rain could top it ... I personally didn't like patapon alot.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#37 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

LOL no the most innovative game happened in 1985 -super mario bros , no one is ever gonna top that , sorry it is what made gaming what it is today as i stated in another thread if it wasnt for nintendo that sony you so speak of wouldnt exist in fact it was an disagreement between nintendo and sony that got sony in the door ,

and while that game sounds good , there are plenty more out there ,

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

LOL no the most innovative game happened in 1985 -super mario bros , no one is ever gonna top that , sorry it is what made gaming what it is today as i stated in another thread if it wasnt for nintendo that sony you so speak of wouldnt exist in fact it was an disagreement between nintendo and sony that got sony in the door ,

and while that game sounds good , there are plenty more out there ,

mariokart64fan

Wow...sheep are truely deranged and still live on something that is near enough 30 years old.Sure it was innovative AT THE TIME we are talkin bout this generation you silly lad.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] lolVatusus

If when you played journey you thought the main point of the game was walking on deserts and jumping you missed the whole point to it

Ok we get it by now, you hate the game to death. No need to spread your ignorance about it in every freakin thread. If the game was a sleeper hit I bet you would be all over it, or at least you wouldnt complaint so much about it. Seriously, its getting freakin annoying

Sorry you find the truth annoying.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Patapon 3 is one of the very few games I´ve played on the PSP but from the little I played it was pretty awesome,loved the title song,so good.

Avatar image for everythingcasua
everythingcasua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 everythingcasua
Member since 2012 • 98 Posts
parappa the rapper says i oughta break a broom handle off in your ass.
Avatar image for everythingcasua
everythingcasua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 everythingcasua
Member since 2012 • 98 Posts
parappa the rapper says i oughta break a broom handle off in your ass.everythingcasua
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56kgxTWH4g
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Love the Patapon Series... hopefully PSV will get a Patapon game soon :)

I guess devs would do something with PSV's alternative controls to further enhance the experience with Patapon titles..

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Look up gameplay for Journey. It features walking in deserts and jumping sometimes. Real generation defining stuff. Vatusus

lawls

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

parappa the rapper says i oughta break a broom handle off in your ass.everythingcasua

hi heewee....back to double post and look like an idiotic chump for least the 100th time...cant believe you actually go to the extent of making so many alts to post the same idiotic nonsense on here its rather sad.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] not really. for starters, innovation isn't quantitative. at least not to a degree you can say with such certainty that this is THE game that innovates the most. then there's the factor of innovation VS uniqueness. innovation can be seen as tackling a problem from a new perspective, creating a tool that objectively improves the experience, and influences the medium. for example, lock-on (or Z-target, as zelda baptized it). uniqueness provides you with something different from anything you've seen, but isn't necessarily an objective step forward in the medium. for example, TWEWY is an amazing, unique game, but its gameplay, while excellent and unique, doesn't really influence other games, nor should it. i could go on and on discussing semantics, but you get the idea. TL;DR: don't use absolutes so often, they lose their meaning.BrunoBRS

but innovation and influence are closely tied together. a real, major innovation will influence the medium (see touch screens, like it or not, everyone jumped on the bandwagon). if an innovation doesn't influence (assuming it doesn't suck, otherwise it wouldn't be an innovation), it's usually because it doesn't apply out of the game's own context, and therefore it's less of an innovation and more of a unique characteristic. but even ignoring all that. do you honestly believe patapon innovated more than the first FPS, or the first game set in an open environment, or hell, the first game to use 3D environments, or even the first game to make use of saves? is rhythmic strategy really a bigger innovation than being able to save your game? those examples i cited are the real innovations, the real revolutions. patapon is just a really unique game.

The point bolded is the main point I was trying to debate in my head when I made the thread (I did read the rest, I like your posts), but you did get me for hyperbolizing for things like the use of saves and probably (definitely) a few other things.

So, true, I used an absolute that probably shouldn't have been used, but I guess one thread is worth it.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
PSP and DS have always done really well compared to the relatively crappy larger consoles. Sadly Vita dropped the ball.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Blabadon"] I see what you mean, but just double check and make sure you realized I was talking about innovation, not influence. Of course, innovation is not quantitative and not objectively definable (it's even hard to define it operationally), but Patapon is there. Yes, semantics aside, I think that it can be used in cases of absolutes. Which, by the way, I agree on. That's the difference with me and Shake. I use hyperbole with logic, his weekly employment of absolutes is ridiculous. Blabadon

The point bolded is the main point I was trying to debate in my head when I made the thread (I did read the rest, I like your posts), but you did get me for hyperbolizing for things like the use of saves and probably (definitely) a few other things.

So, true, I used an absolute that probably shouldn't have been used, but I guess one thread is worth it.

all disagreeing with semantics aside (i still think patapon falls upon "unique" rather than "innovative", and i still think that most of the time the two are not interchangeable, contrary to popular belief), i still have to play it. damn game doesn't have a downloadable PS3 version >.>
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts
Patapon is an awesome franchise. They need to make one for PSV.
flordeceres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 flordeceres
Member since 2005 • 4662 Posts

razgriz_101

thread title does mention most innovative game ever, so his argument is legitimate.